Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Too soon to tell if I should be excited or not. An X-Factor or New X-Men centric series could be awesome (and stamp their brand on some characters they haven't already put on screen, like Monet or Wolfsbane or Shatterstar or Hellion or Dust or Surge).

But it seems more likely that Fox would want to capitalize on recognizable X-peeps, and cast younger versions of Wolverine, Storm, Wolverine, Mystique, Wolverine and a 'good Magneto.' And maybe Wolverine. 'Cause he's all cool and stuff with the knives from his hands.

But it's Fox. If it's any good at all, it will be aired all out of order (fifth episode first, premiere episode mid-season, etc.), on random nights with inexplicable month-long delays between episodes, and then get cancelled after eight episodes.

'Cause it's Fox, and that's what they do to shows I like.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Too soon to tell if I should be excited or not. An X-Factor or New X-Men centric series could be awesome (and stamp their brand on some characters they haven't already put on screen, like Monet or Wolfsbane or Shatterstar or Hellion or Dust or Surge).

But it seems more likely that Fox would want to capitalize on recognizable X-peeps, and cast younger versions of Wolverine, Storm, Wolverine, Mystique, Wolverine and a 'good Magneto.' And maybe Wolverine. 'Cause he's all cool and stuff with the knives from his hands.

But it's Fox. If it's any good at all, it will be aired all out of order (fifth episode first, premiere episode mid-season, etc.), on random nights with inexplicable month-long delays between episodes, and then get cancelled after eight episodes.

'Cause it's Fox, and that's what they do to shows I like.
    Firefly, you left us too soon.

I wouldn't expect Fox to try and link this to the movie universe at all. They'll either recast some of the X-Men we've seen in film or they will go with a different group of mutants (god knows there are plenty to choose from). Generation X would be a cool premise to build from. Or X-Factor Investigations based on the detective agency...let them interweave an ongoing storyline as they work on a new case every couple of weeks.

I think they would have the most success by turning to a different corner of the X-universe though...not the "core" characters. Or at least taking a very different approach to some of the more familiar characters.

Secretly in the Shadows Starleafgirl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonspider89 View Post
    While conversations to bring the franchise to the small screen are under way, sources indicate a deal is far from complete with Marvel — which owns the comic rights — still having to sign off on the deal.
    Deadline.com says it's all contingent on reaching a deal with Marvel, too...

So basically: Marvel can't make its own X-Men series, but Fox can't do it without Marvel's approval?

Or can Marvel make X-Men series (either live action or cartoon) and is merely choosing not to introduce potentially thousands of new fans to the X-Men comic book franchise, because Fox owns the movie rights?

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Haha, too true.

Firefly, Dollhouse, Terminator, Terra Nova, Almost Human... this network is not kind to sci-fi and fantasy series. Fringe manages to be the exception that proves the rule.

Quote Originally Posted by bobellis75 View Post
    I wouldn't expect Fox to try and link this to the movie universe at all. They'll either recast some of the X-Men we've seen in film or they will go with a different group of mutants (god knows there are plenty to choose from). Generation X would be a cool premise to build from. Or X-Factor Investigations based on the detective agency...let them interweave an ongoing storyline as they work on a new case every couple of weeks.
    Yeah, linking it to the movieverse sounds way too ambitious for FOX.

"X-Factor Investigations" would be such a great TV show... just like "Angel" was, when it was a supernatural detective agency series.

And I'd love for them to try to correct their earlier mistakes with Generation X by bringing us the real comic book mutants, not Buffy Lite and all of that because of their limited budget...
    Prεtty Pεnny
    I have no speech. No name. I live in the action of death. The blood-cry, the penetrating wound. I am destruction.... http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7.../penance-1.jpg
    <----------------------------------->

Keep the snark to a minimum. ~ The CBR Community Behavior Rules

"What? I can't promise that!" ~ Starleafgirl

Original Join Date: 10-31-2007

All-New Member

Oh Dear God! WHY?!!!! Why can't Fox just leave my X-Men alone. Haven't they butchered it enough. Why does Marvel hate X-Men?!!! The property that saved their behind. The least they could do is give us proper TV show. This is gonna suck.... it's gonna be a procedural... and it's gonna blow chunks...

I can already see it now... Doop is going to be Wolsbane's father, Madrox will have different powers and Siryn will be Emma Frost's sister. This is the continuity that Fox loves to give us. Just change it for change's sake.

BTW... from what i read... Fox only owns the movie rights not Tv rights.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Metaltron View Post
    New Mutants could work well, whether they stuck to the original characters for the most part or borrowed others. One idea I have is that they include Jubilee as a main character - she's perfectly for that sort of show but also still recognised to a more casual audience, and Jubilee would easily act as an initial focus character like Skye to set the ball running. They could also consider bringing in some of the more minor newer X-Men from DOFP - I'm sure the actor playing Sunspot would happily return given he had apparently researched the character in advance.

And I would definitely think that Fox consider getting Kelsey Grammar to reprise his role as Beast and be the predominant lynchpin in a New Mutants series.

Alternatively I would love an Excalibur show - Captain Britain, Psylocke, Meggan, Rachel Grey, Lockheed, Pete Wisdom, Alistaire Stuart and the like. Would love to see Kitty Pryde and Nightcrawler but you know Ellen Page would never commit to a TV series and Nightcrawler is apparently involved in Apocalypse so...
    Could recast Kitty Pryde, already did, three films, different actor each time. DOFP first time an actor reprised role of Shadowcat.

What makes you say Ellen Page would never do a TV series, or commit?

Could always do the DC way - one Nightcrawler on Fox, one on the screen, whether same continuity or not.

Why does Excalibur keep getting brought up for an X-show? Are they not more a mystical thing, or Captain Britain, UK, etc? Is there mutants involved therein?

Spectacular Member

X-Factor. The only thing holding it back is that crappy music television show might make them hesitate about the name. So call it X-Factor Investigations instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Knight View Post
    Why does Excalibur keep getting brought up for an X-show? Are they not more a mystical thing, or Captain Britain, UK, etc? Is there mutants involved therein?
    It depends. The original Chris Claremont run of Excalibur featured Captain Britain, Meggan, Phoenix II (Rachel), Nightcrawler, and Shadowcat. Historically, it has always had the most non-mutant members on a recurring basis, though usually at least half the team at any given time were mutants. Their mandate was not “defend mutant rights” so much as defending the British Isles/Europe. The threats were frequently more mystical and whimsical, based in part on the lingering storylines and characters from the Marvel UK “universe”. At least initially, not many of their villains were from the Magneto / Stryfe/ Mr. Sinister/ Apocalypse camp. The direct ties to the American X-Men team were minimal—they weren’t involved in crossovers, etc. for many years. Eventually, Marvel editorial decided to bring the series “closer” to the shared events going on in the other X-Men titles. Then eventually, the team was dissolved, both in terms of publishing and in-universe.

Quote Originally Posted by Starleafgirl View Post
    Deadline.com says it's all contingent on reaching a deal with Marvel, too...

So basically: Marvel can't make its own X-Men series, but Fox can't do it without Marvel's approval?

Or can Marvel make X-Men series (either live action or cartoon) and is merely choosing not to introduce potentially thousands of new fans to the X-Men comic book franchise, because Fox owns the movie rights?

Haha, too true.

Firefly, Dollhouse, Terminator, Terra Nova, Almost Human... this network is not kind to sci-fi and fantasy series. Fringe manages to be the exception that proves the rule.

Yeah, linking it to the movieverse sounds way too ambitious for FOX.

"X-Factor Investigations" would be such a great TV show... just like "Angel" was, when it was a supernatural detective agency series.

And I'd love for them to try to correct their earlier mistakes with Generation X by bringing us the real comic book mutants, not Buffy Lite and all of that because of their limited budget...
    I don't think any of us really have to worry about corrections to a show from decades ago, or this one being good, or bad, like that. Different people doing, in charge, etc, and a new age.

I trust that, if this happens, it'll be good, and be somewhat successful, if not VERY, being X-Men and all that. Gotham would be an example of a comic book show on Fox, with additional episodes ordered, full Season, then, after a while, renewed.

It's not the early '00s', 90s' etc, anymore. Gotta get past the grudges, the hate, the fear.

Yes, I'll give you Almost Human, but doesn't necessarily mean, one, current, modern, recent example, they're anti sci-fi and so on. Got a full Season, didn't work out. Maybe there is a bias, maybe there isn't, but, long as it doesn't get in the way of giving them a goo, and all that.

Axe can fall for any show, really, and any network. I won't let the past get in the way of my hopes, but not get too hopeful. Once it's greenlit, happening etc, then I'll really get going.

Lots of potential here. A universe too big to be confined solely to the films, or, indeed, comics.

Quote Originally Posted by Tazirai View Post
    X-men in name only, no attachment to the main series, and shitty FX.. yay FOX?
    But, we don't know ANY of that. Could be X-Men, young, old, new, or otherwise.

Could be earlier, or during, the new films, or the universe.

And, depends on opinion, but the effects, or FX, could be good, for a TV show, or very good, with the network, property, etc. We just don't know, especially with what can be done, with Smallville, Arrow, or The Flash, even TV, not film, and CW, for Fox, or ABC etc.

Set in 1992.
    Blue and Gold.
    Exact costumes, right to the last pouch.
    CLaremont is showrunner.

or

GTFO

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonspider89 View Post
    You do realize Marvel has to okay this right?

Also AOS has high DVR/stream ratings. Much higher than Sleepy Hollow.

So that argument falls apart.
    Not really, simbob prefers Sleepy Hollow to AOS, and that's grand. I've quit SH, not a quality issue, something else, and gave up on AOS after the Pilot, but wasn't interested in a SHIELD show anyway.

But, to each their own, and it was a quality thing for them anyway, nothing about ratings.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    It depends. The original Chris Claremont run of Excalibur featured Captain Britain, Meggan, Phoenix II (Rachel), Nightcrawler, and Shadowcat. Historically, it has always had the most non-mutant members on a recurring basis, though usually at least half the team at any given time were mutants. Their mandate was not “defend mutant rights” so much as defending the British Isles/Europe. The threats were frequently more mystical and whimsical, based in part on the lingering storylines and characters from the Marvel UK “universe”. At least initially, not many of their villains were from the Magneto / Stryfe/ Mr. Sinister/ Apocalypse camp. The direct ties to the American X-Men team were minimal—they weren’t involved in crossovers, etc. for many years. Eventually, Marvel editorial decided to bring the series “closer” to the shared events going on in the other X-Men titles. Then eventually, the team was dissolved, both in terms of publishing and in-universe.
    Yeah. As much as I like seeing Excalibur interact with the other X-Titles, editorial interference is what lead to its downfall that it never quite recovered from. I did like MI-13, though.

this better be on my 60 inch HD tv in 2017 or i will petition.....someone

Quote Originally Posted by Starleafgirl View Post
    Generation X, Generation X, Generation X...

So... this won't be on for YEARS (if at all; not all concepts make it to pilots and not all pilots get selected to be aired).

It's funny, though: If Gotham stays on the air that long, Fox will be airing both a Marvel Comics show AND a DC Comics show!

If they tie it into the movie franchise, they could have it be about the school we saw at the end of "Days of Future Past," with Storm returning as headmistress (we all know Halle Berry's willing to do television), and with Generation X/New Mutants/New X-Men characters part of the incoming freshman class. And that includes Chamber and Penance, this time around. Jubilee could finally be seen at the school, having been in so many deleted scenes already, lol.

Kitty, Bobby, and Rogue could show up, too, if the actors are willing to reprise the roles for television. In fact, if the movie universe is "rebooting" to the point where the original actors for Storm, Jean, Cyclops, etc. aren't needed, maybe this could be a new home for them... The absence of Wolverine is easily explainable -- that guy is always taking off. (Of course, Hugh Jackman has done television, too, so if they wanted to... Professor Logan, anyone?? ;D).

I know Xavier was returned from the dead, but he doesn't have to necessarily show up in the daily operations of the school. Maybe save Patrick Stewart for things like the pilot episode and the season finale. (I'm getting sooo ahead of myself, lol).

Either one would be fine by me, too!

FOX has gotten a lot better at handling X-Men rights since then, i.e. all the X-Men movies that've been released so far. (Except for maybe Wolverine: Origins, haha).
    We don't necessarily all know Halle Berry's willing to do television, but yes, Extant is a good example of that.

Ashmore, with The Following, Warehouse 13 and Smallville A LOT, so he might be okay too, and, sure Anna Paquin played Sookie Stackhouse for 7 Seasons of True Blood, but might not want another committment, right after, who knows?

I agree, getting better with the X-verse. A live action Jubilee'd be lovely - be her a vampire, or a mutant, or both.

Yeaaah, that is weird. Could have a Vertigo show in Lucifer, a DC show in Gotham, and a Marvel show in X-Men. Be a very odd landscape, but yeah, I'd be up for it! X-Men are lethal, love Gotham and see what happens with Lucifer, and the piano bar, Lux.