Mighty Member

Default Any Ghostbusters and Clive Barker influence here in the comics?

Besides Lovecraft which Mike borrowed from i wondered if he borrowed also from Ghostbusters and the works of Clive Barker? he is called a Barker fan and i'm sure he loves GBs as well.

There is some similarities to GBs with the whole paranormal exterminators thing.

Well, if you wanna know why not check one or two of the books out for yourself?

I'd think mr Mike is usually pretty forthcoming towards particular influences of his, such as William Hope Hodgson, Manly Wade Wellman, H.P. Lovecraft and others.
    With throughout the narrative many spelled out nods towards such stuff as from Sammy T. Coleridge or Old Bull Shakespeare to Collodi, both as actual folklore from all over the world.

Which in itself would be pointing out how for ghostly folktales or horror stories not Clive Barker or either Stephen King would have to be considered most initial or most influential.

And any *Ghostbusting* would in itself be seeming to mean the same thing as 'exterminating the paranormal'. But equating Hellboy (or folky horror as a genre) solely to it, would be like saying that every swordfighting character would neededly be imitating Richard Gere in "First Knight".
    Just like how not every Western ever made would have to be imitating "Brokeback Mountain".

If only because Hellboy is himself a demon spawn, undeniably, yet he seems to mainly end up fighting monsters.
    Just like how the B.P.R.D. has mainly been involving around being comprized of such agents as an easily agitated pyrokinetic lady, a fish-experiment, an existential homunculus, a were-jaguar veteran, a disembodied spirit strapped up in a bodysuit, a pretty inward ancient mummy, andsoforth.

A diverse both as pretty puzzling world history has been unfolding around Hellboy and the B.P.R.D.
    Whereas Ghostbusters more rather features escapaders plus an ape zapping ghostly menaces in the 1975 Filmation live-action television series, or either Dan Akroyd's revamped movie version as vacuuming up candy-colored piles of ghostballs with some buds. Not that Ghostbusters'd be bad, but it's really not hardly what'd be summing up Hellboy or the Bureau in a nutshell.
    Last edited by Kees_L; 05-15-2014 at 02:58 PM. Reason: I almost misspelled nuts hell.
    SLINT / Mike Mignola / Walt Whitman / Arthur Lourié / Dr. Pepper

Quote Originally Posted by TomServofan View Post
    Besides Lovecraft which Mike borrowed from i wondered if he borrowed also from Ghostbusters and the works of Clive Barker? he is called a Barker fan and i'm sure he loves GBs as well.

There is some similarities to GBs with the whole paranormal exterminators thing.
    While Mike is a fan of Clive Barkers he has never borrowed anything from him and never from Ghostbusters...CBM

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kees_L View Post
    Well, if you wanna know why not check one or two of the books out for yourself?

I'd think mr Mike is usually pretty forthcoming towards particular influences of his, such as William Hope Hodgson, Manly Wade Wellman, H.P. Lovecraft and others.
    With throughout the narrative many spelled out nods towards such stuff as from Sammy T. Coleridge or Old Bull Shakespeare to Collodi, both as actual folklore from all over the world.

Which in itself would be pointing out how for ghostly folktales or horror stories not Clive Barker or either Stephen King would have to be considered most initial or most influential.

And any *Ghostbusting* would in itself be seeming to mean the same thing as 'exterminating the paranormal'. But equating Hellboy (or folky horror as a genre) solely to it, would be like saying that every swordfighting character would neededly be imitating Richard Gere in "First Knight".
    Just like how not every Western ever made would have to be imitating "Brokeback Mountain".

If only because Hellboy is himself a demon spawn, undeniably, yet he seems to mainly end up fighting monsters.
    Just like how the B.P.R.D. has mainly been involving around being comprized of such agents as an easily agitated pyrokinetic lady, a fish-experiment, an existential homunculus, a were-jaguar veteran, a disembodied spirit strapped up in a bodysuit, a pretty inward ancient mummy, andsoforth.

A diverse both as pretty puzzling world history has been unfolding around Hellboy and the B.P.R.D.
    Whereas Ghostbusters more rather features escapaders plus an ape zapping ghostly menaces in the 1975 Filmation live-action television series, or either Dan Akroyd's revamped movie version as vacuuming up candy-colored piles of ghostballs with some buds. Not that Ghostbusters'd be bad, but it's really not hardly what'd be summing up Hellboy or the Bureau in a nutshell.
    I'm speaking of the movie GBs