Super Moderator

Default PREVIEW: The Fade Out, #1

Ed Brubaker (FATALE, VELVET, Captain America: Winter Soldier) and Sean Phillips (FATALE, Criminal, Marvel Zombies) launch the first show-stopper from their unprecedented five-year deal announced at Image Expo in January-the hotly anticipated epic noir series, THE FADE OUT.

As an added bonus to this exciting launch, this first issue will clock in at 40 pages and feature exclusive back page articles. For fans wishing to experience noir fiction in true '40s style, an oversized "movie magazine replica" variant edition with 8 extra pages of behind-the-scenes art and articles will be available for order.

An intricate and groundbreaking crime story on a level Brubaker and Phillips have never tackled before, THE FADE OUT weaves a tangled web through the underbelly of a 1948 Hollywood... A noir film stuck in endless reshoots. A writer plagued with nightmares from the war and a dangerous secret. An up-and-coming starlet's suspicious death. And a maniacal studio mogul and his security chief who will do anything to keep the cameras rolling before the Post-War boom days come crashing down. THE FADE OUT is the most ambitious series yet from the award-winning Noir Masters.

Full article here.

Amazing Member

Man that cover price is gonna kill me. Brubaker says its the closest thing he's done to Criminal in sometime, should be good.

Astonishing Member Lady Warp Spasm's Avatar

Yikes... << cover price >> If my LCS pre-orders cut it down to $3 and change, I'll try this. It looks like the first Brubaker Noir I might really enjoy. If the pre-order price is $4 or over, I'll trade wait.

I hope Ed gets around to working with Butch Guice again. Of all his artistic collaborators, Guice has become my favorite.
    archer * magician *soldier * spy

All-New Member

That's not the price. The regular edition is the normal $3.50 we always charge for Criminal or Fatale. The oversized movie variant is the one that's more expensive, because it's a limited edition thing.

I'll definitely be snatching this up...Can't go wrong here

Incredible Member

I am all over this, and particularly the movie variant. Mr. Brubaker has never let me down and I credit him and Steve Epting for introducing me to independent comics. I loved his run on Captain America, but was beginning to grow bored of the mainstream comics. So when I heard about this book called Velvet, I decided to give it a chance. 17 Image titles (including Fatale) and all Valiant titles later, I have completely given up on DC and Marvel (aside from Batman).

But then again, isn't that how most of us start independent comics?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ed_Brubaker View Post
    That's not the price. The regular edition is the normal $3.50 we always charge for Criminal or Fatale. The oversized movie variant is the one that's more expensive, because it's a limited edition thing.
    Ed, if that's you, love your stuff. The Fade Out looks killer. Thanks for writing comics.

Man, this looks so good. Can't wait for this. This should really be marketed to the mainstream as well, not just comic book fans. Let the world know comics isn't just for kids anymore, should be viewed as great literature.

Amazing Member

I'm going to miss Jo (Fatale), but I can't wait to get my hands on this one. 40's Hollywood is always interesting.

Gots No Chi Danny Rand's Other Fist's Avatar

God damn that looks great.

Brubaker and Phillips are only able to put out solid gold comics, I'm all over this.

Astonishing Member Lady Warp Spasm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ed_Brubaker View Post
    Thanks for clarifying, Ed. I'll definitely give this a whirl.
    archer * magician *soldier * spy