Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Default BATMAN #38 Preview/Discussion

Newsarama has the preview up for Wednesday's issue

http://www.newsarama.com/23336-batma...e-s-gordy.html

Astonishing Member

I realize that ax was "buried in his chest" about as much as say that batarang Jason Todd stabbed Tim Drake in the chest with a few years ago, but suffice it to say by Capullo's depiction or Snyder's direction or whatever I have to instantly start believing that everything happening in here is indeed a dream sequence scenario - I mean even if it's actually playing out, like, they're all hallucinating half of it.

Or it's all fake props! I'd really like that angle, actually, that Joker is putting insanely good ILM special effects to use to really sell all these "Horror Joker" bits. Collapsible ax blades, flash-mob jokerized "zombies", fake blood everywhere.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

That ax to the chest...it's too much

I'm not sure whose fault this is, but there are lots of some outlandish actions in Snyder and Capullo's run. I remember in Zero Year Jim Gordon actually jumped off some 10/20 stories building down into a pool of rather shallow looking water....

And I don't think the whole thing's a dream. That's not Snyder's style

Quote Originally Posted by K. Jones View Post
    I realize that ax was "buried in his chest" about as much as say that batarang Jason Todd stabbed Tim Drake in the chest with a few years ago, but suffice it to say by Capullo's depiction or Snyder's direction or whatever I have to instantly start believing that everything happening in here is indeed a dream sequence scenario - I mean even if it's actually playing out, like, they're all hallucinating half of it.

Or it's all fake props! I'd really like that angle, actually, that Joker is putting insanely good ILM special effects to use to really sell all these "Horror Joker" bits. Collapsible ax blades, flash-mob jokerized "zombies", fake blood everywhere.
    I think the zombies are definitely legit but the ax and fake blood were probably well made props. I don't believe any of this is a dream scenario minus the really weird ones like him fighting mutant sharks in the ocean and robot owls with one arm.

CBR got me like.. Maxpower00044's Avatar

This arc is making me believe it's some sort dream sequence/hallucination with ever passing issue. In my mind, I'd like to think these are Batman's "final" thoughts while he's on the batsignal, bleeding out (Eternal #1). Maybe Batman will even "die" before Convergence starts. I actually dig my idea, so, I hope im somewhat right.
    "The more 'realistic' superheroes become the less believable they are." - David Mazzucchelli

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

I also believe that this is some kind of dream sequence or hallucination. A lot of things here have come off as fake to me or at the very least they seem off. My best guess is that Bruce was badly injured at the end of Eternal and that he is either in a medically induced coma or perhaps he's drugged in some way as a result of events in Eternal. I do have a theory based on things in Endgame that we may be looking at another of those times without Batman or perhaps without Bruce Wayne under the cowl. If that happens to be true though I've no idea who would be under the cowl during that time with Dick off with Spyral. Time will tell.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

Julia is quickly becoming my favorite member of the batman family. She is technically her own woman and alfred's daughter but she seems like more of a partner to Batman than just a sidekick.
    Maybe its the fact that she's a grown woman around Bruce's age who isn't suffering from severe emotional issues

Quote Originally Posted by Maxpower00044 View Post
    This arc is making me believe it's some sort dream sequence/hallucination with ever passing issue. In my mind, I'd like to think these are Batman's "final" thoughts while he's on the batsignal, bleeding out (Eternal #1). Maybe Batman will even "die" before Convergence starts. I actually dig my idea, so, I hope im somewhat right.
    Love this idea so much. You could even work in Gordon finding the pictures of Joker from decades ago into the fever dream / coma idea; a part of Batman's obsession with Joker and perhaps his mind attempting to understand how and why Joker is who he is. Obviously, we'll need to see how Eternal wraps up over the coming months, but a scenario like that has so much potential.

Sadly, I'm not sure if the end result will be something so bold. Between the various dreams Bruce has been having in Endgame, the whole Inception like 'dream within a dream' concept might be too much for some people to grasp on to, although I hope I'm wrong.

Really, Crazy Quilt? Yeah, not keen on that half-hearted little reinvention there. The immortal bloodline idea in general though is pretty cool - over steeped in Roman metephor/typical Snyder word diarrhea, as expected- but still a cool gag and a great curveball considering the "it's all a dream" speculation above!

Duke and Julia are useful and interesting and good. Nice new history on another Gotham neighbourhood. Medusa jellyfish. Joker enjoying an evening swim. Grayson. Killer ending. Grayson. This arc's holding up as Snyder's best yet....just too bad he went with a lame arse Quilt!

The art this issue was particularly amazing, and it was a great issue. Apart from the massive info dump.
    Favorites: Batman, Superman, All-New Wolverine, Deathstroke, Detective Comics, Green Lanterns, Doom Patrol

Bat fist pump awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Alfreds Butler View Post
    Bat fist pump awesome
    between who?

Quote Originally Posted by powerwing View Post
    between who?
    Bats and Duke

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Yeah, that info dump was horrid, seemed like way too much thinking/dialogue that wasn't needed. But hey, that's Snyder, would rather him writing smart than stupid anyway. And that ending!

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    Yeah, that info dump was horrid, seemed like way too much thinking/dialogue that wasn't needed. But hey, that's Snyder, would rather him writing smart than stupid anyway. And that ending!
    I got a, "this is all the research I did on greek myth so here you go so Joker will be compared to them and it'll be more powerful" from that info dump. That said, it's still pretty flipping cool.

I reviewed it with pictures here if anyone is interested.

How about that ending though? spoilers:
    The Court of Owls and Batman are going to team up?
    end of spoilers Pretty awesome and it'll probably create a new dynamic for Bats moving forward.
    Comic reviews answering the question "Is it good?" every Wednesday here.