Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Is Anyone Using Secret Wars as a Jumping Off Point?

I know that a lot of us get to a point where we're buying books out of inertia. Buying it not because we're passionate about it, but because we've got a long, unbroken run and we don't want to stop.

But sometimes the companies hand us a natural stopping point. Yes, the Marvel Universe will certainly continue post Secret Wars, but it's still going to be a regular continuity break and possibly a reformulated world at the end. So is anyone considering this as a stopping point for certain books? For all of them? When Tom Brevoort tweeted "The Marvel Universe as you know it is done," did anyone think "I'm done, too?"

formerly 'saucemaster' saucemaster's Avatar

It's impossible to know if they are worth dropping until they've come out. I'm interested in seeing the new Marvel Universe for what it is worth, so I'll have to see what comes after SW before saying I will jump off. However, if the books after SW/Battleworld are just a slate of origin stories (like Heroes Reborn), then I'll drop Marvel until the time they reset everything to the existing 616. It shouldn't be more than a year or two before the "The Marvel Universe as you know it is back."

I'm not interested in a bunch of old stories rehashed to include smartphones and contemporary pop culture references. The original origins are fine the way they are.
    "we're all some kind of noise. be the good kind"
    . Ms. Marvel . Saga . ASM .

BANNED

The only thing that will cause me to jump ship is if the Hulk gets killed off/replaced.

Incredible Member a moment closer's Avatar

When I start to think about my monthly costs to keep reading comics I really do consider using this as a jumping off point. I'm definitely using Convergence as a jumping off point for any books I'm buying from DC. But I also just bought into all the Valiant Next titles. I have extra money to spend so why not? I am such a huge Marvel fan that despite the fact I hear, "You can save a couple hundred bucks a month!" screaming in the back of my mind, I'm probably going to stick with it and enjoy the damn ride.

BANNED

I dunno. Gotta wait and see how things are after the dust settles.

I am interested in the idea of a changed landscape, just for curiosity's sake.

Depends on which characters are around. I'll pick up the characters who interest me, and I'm pretty sure that Secret Wars will be quadruple the same amount of A-Listers like 6 Wolverines, 7 Captain Americas, and so on. I mean, why promote a Civil War Universe over the MC2 Universe? Hell, the only Ultimate character I care about now is Bombshell and I doubt she'll be sticking around much longer. And my big rule is if Songbird dies, I quit Marvel.

Secret Wars is just not grabbing me because it feels like A-Listers extravaganza.

If it's a reboot, then yes I will be using it as a jumping off point.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    If it's a reboot, then yes I will be using it as a jumping off point.
    They won't reboot.

-Remender just started his "Moles for Hydra" storyline that continues post Secret Wars.
    -Bendis is still doing the X-Men from the past plot
    -Slott still has control over Green Goblin and Black Cat
    -The movies will make a reboot redundant because the films are already filling in the holes for the audiences on who these characters are and changing the characters to match the films.

Nope.
    I'm actually looking forward to all of those.
    I'd only "jump off" if the X-Men get wiped from existence and there's no chance of that happening.

Heck no. I'm excited for what's coming next. Even if a character I like gets killed off during this, there's still dozens if not hundreds of other characters I could gravitate towards.

This is another reason why i'm glad i trade wait instead of getting monthlies.
    It will be 6-12 months after the event when the trades for post secret wars start to be realeased so i can see if there is anything that strikes my fancy, the only thing that would make it a deal breaker is a full line reboot or possibly if i get married in the next 18 months.
    Truth is the best policy

Sure i thought about it. After 52 i was pretty much done with DC and this has the same potential, but i need to see it first before i can make an informed decision and right now it's impossible. It'll depend on the aftermath of Secret Wars. If i dislike the decisions and the way things are set up, i'll drop Marvel altogether as i did with DC (even if i'm still buying 3 Vertigo titles). But that doesn't mean i'll stop buying comics. My Image pull list have been increasing and if i drop Marvel it means i'll have more latitude in trying other stuff from other companies. And if down the line Marvel decides to reverse things i didn't like, i can always come back. Nothing lasts forever in comics anyway. Take DC for instance. There was a multiverse, then there wasn't one, then there were a couple of reboots, then there was a multiverse again, and now it seems there won't be one anymore? The problem with DC is i just gave up on them with the constant character reboots.

I won't read the event itself, but I am interested in seeing what new books come after. If none of them pique my interest then I'll move on elsewhere.

The Best There Is berserkerclaw's Avatar

That's too hard to answer since we have no, clue, what Secret wars truly changes yet
    X-Men Forever

Aspiring Underachiever Turn the Page's Avatar

I'm kind of hoping Marvel is going to shuffle around creative teams a bit following Secret Wars. I've already cut most Marvel and DC off my list except Moon Knight and Batman Eternal. If anything, Secret Wars might be a "jumping back on point" for me.