Thread: Cato vs. Link

Default Cato vs. Link

The District 2 Tribute, Cato, takes on Lady Hylia's chosen knight, Link (Skyward Sword) in a sword duel to the finish.

Everyone's favorite host Guy Smiley's Avatar

Okay, SS Link does stuff like hack through swords, and send hordes of enemies flying several meters with a single sweep of his sword like some kind of mini-Sauron. He's got a huge strength advantage here.

Plus his sword shoots giant buzzsaw lasers. Does Cato's sword shoot giant buzzsaw lasers? And Link's sword does comprehensive analyses of his foes and tells Link their weaknesses.

Also, I see no reason Link can't just summon Fi and have her kick Cato to death. She still counts as his sword, so it's still a sword duel that way, right?

Errr all Cato did was break a kid's neck, sword killed Thresh and got mauled to crippled state by wolf muts. Aside he probably killed other unprepared children.

As mentioned Link is freakken super human even with just a sword.

You do the math. (Yeah the Chou actually read the Hunger Games.)

There and back again Tokikundos's Avatar

Link curbstomps.

Even Kid Link would curbstomp. Cato is an ordinary guy.

IIRC, the book states that the sound of metal scraping metal was intense as Cato fought off those wolf muttations for over an hour before he fell, and IIRC, Cato wasn't at peak efficiency during that time. Also, as a Career Tribute, Cato has trained his whole life(?) for The Hunger Games, meaning that he is most likely physically stronger than Link.

On the other hand, at the time of Skyward Sword, Link was in his senior year at the Skyloft Knight Academy. Assuming that their educational system is anything like ours, I would estimate that Link has only 1-4 years worth of combat training, while Cato has more (at least triple), and for the purpose of this Rumble, I am assuming that Link and Cato are the same age (18).
    Last edited by Ultra_Sonic; 09-17-2014 at 09:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Smiley View Post
    Okay, SS Link does stuff like hack through swords, and send hordes of enemies flying several meters with a single sweep of his sword like some kind of mini-Sauron. He's got a huge strength advantage here.

Plus his sword shoots giant buzzsaw lasers. Does Cato's sword shoot giant buzzsaw lasers? And Link's sword does comprehensive analyses of his foes and tells Link their weaknesses.

Also, I see no reason Link can't just summon Fi and have her kick Cato to death. She still counts as his sword, so it's still a sword duel that way, right?
    I do not think Fi works that way. Fi--as far as I know--is comoletely intangible, but totally visible.

Extraordinary Member Iron_Twister's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra_Sonic View Post
    IIRC, the book states that the sound of metal scraping metal was intense as Cato fought off those wolf muttations for over an hour before he fell, and IIRC, Cato wasn't at peak efficiency during that time. Also, as a Career Tribute, Cato has trained his whole life(?) for The Hunger Games, meaning that he is most likely physically stronger than Link.

On the other hand, at the time of Skyward Sword, Link was in his senior year at the Skyloft Knight Academy. Assuming that their educational system is anything like ours, I would estimate that Link has only 1-4 years worth of combat training, while Cato has more (at least triple), and for the purpose of this Rumble, I am assuming that Link and Cato are the same age (18).
    ...Are you seriously for real?

Link trained to be a knight...A knight! Not to mention he learn to fly giant bird mounts as part of his training. Oh never mind that because it seems he has a similar education as us.

Cato was taught to be a killer, I get that. But Link was trained to defend his home and from the looks of the things he went through, it paid off damn well when it came to combat things that would kill lesser being.

Again, what kind of crazy ass logic makes you assume Cato's the stronger man?

Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Twister View Post
    ...Are you seriously for real?

Link trained to be a knight...A knight! Not to mention he learn to fly giant bird mounts as part of his training. Oh never mind that because it seems he has a similar education as us.

Cato was taught to be a killer, I get that. But Link was trained to defend his home and from the looks of the things he went through, it paid off damn well when it came to combat things that would kill lesser being.

Again, what kind of crazy ass logic makes you assume Cato's the stronger man?

Due to the fact that Cato has been training for the Hunger Games his whole life, and part of that training is strength training.

Extraordinary Member Iron_Twister's Avatar

That's fine and all but Link...He is physically stronger, no matter how much you argue for Cato.

For example, can Cato tangle with something like that? Also, can he lift that sword and use it with little difficultly?

Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Twister View Post
    That's fine and all but Link...He is physically stronger, no matter how much you argue for Cato.

For example, can Cato tangle with something like that? Also, can he lift that sword and use it with little difficultly?
    All that had slipped my mind. Of course Cato would not be able to lift that sword, let alone swing it--assuming that sword weighs over 200 pounds. During the official training, even Peeta picked up a 100-lb. training ball and threw it at a weapons rack with little effort.

One of Cato's major disadvantages is that due to him being well fed most of his life, he is heavier and slower. I am no longer arguing in favour of Cato, however.

If Cato does in fact have a chance against something like that, then it is very miniscule at best.

Extraordinary Member The Drunkard Kid's Avatar

Also, Training levels don't really mean much for Link since he's generally the reincarnation of the legendary bearer of the Triforce of Courage and puts seasoned veterans in awe of his skill, speed and accuracy with a variety of weapons he never touched before by the end of his various games.

Heck, Wind Waker Link had no apparent training at all, and possibly was a completely new Link outside of the normal reincarnation cycle due to the temporal shenanigans in OoT, and one of the first things he does is singlehandedly storm a fortress by way of being fired into one of its walls via a ship mounted cannon, then get smacked over the horizon and only be temporarily KO'd.