Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Ebony View Post
    For a movie who knew it had to knock it out of the park with it's first trailer to quite skeptics It neither did that nor hit a double. It practically bunted a single. It was boring. No action, questionable voice over, very dark scenes in lighting, it was a great big MEH. And it didn't need a MEH. It needed (who the heck are the Guardians of the Galaxy, I don't know, but that was bad @$$ trailer though) kind of vibe.
    I actually hated the Guardians of the Galaxy trailer. It made the film look like a joke. The reality is that it kind of was.
    Pull List
    Avengers, Captain America, Daredevil, Fantastic Four, Hulk, Iron Man, Spider-Man, Thor, Wolverine, Uncanny X-Men
    Justice League, Action Comics, Superman, Detective Comics, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, Flash, Aquaman, Cyborg

Mighty Member America / Bucky / Russia's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Emma's Midriff View Post
    I'm really not. I guess random stuff blowing up just doesn't do it for me anymore.
    There are two types of audience:
    *Random stuff blowing up
    *Moral and ethical questions and hypotheses

I much prefer the latter.

X-Men: First Class didn't blow much shit up but was still highly engaging, I suspect down to the depth of the Magneto vs. Charles characterisation. No evil supervillain, just two human characters. This seems to me like a superhero film with an underground following, in the same vein as X-Men: First Class. No universal appeal, but is adored by the people who find something in it. Same case with Agent Carter. A really good series which raises these questions but I find my MCU loving friends turning their nose up at it because it doesn't follow the traditional formula.
    Films blog / Books blog / Comics blog / Tumblr / Twitter / Flickr / Photobucket / Dailymotion / YouTube
    My BFI Film Academy short film Hold-Out
    Review column on Doctor Who fansite kasterborous.com
    CBR's LGBT Community

Actually, having rewatched the trailer....it appears to be the first half of a much larger trailer. One where all the cool action/sci fi elements are added at the end of this teaser.
    Pull List
    Avengers, Captain America, Daredevil, Fantastic Four, Hulk, Iron Man, Spider-Man, Thor, Wolverine, Uncanny X-Men
    Justice League, Action Comics, Superman, Detective Comics, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, Flash, Aquaman, Cyborg

Quote Originally Posted by randomengine View Post
    I actually hated the Guardians of the Galaxy trailer. It made the film look like a joke. The reality is that it kind of was.
    Not account for taste, because while you thought it was a joke, it got the average Joe curious to learn more. This FF trailer does neither. You gotta hit it out the park with the first trailer, this did not do it by a long shot. (Trailers aren't for the comic nerds of the world, we know the story, it should be to grab the attention of average Joe.)

And fine, you didn't like the GOTG trailer, go back and rewatch First Class's Trailer. A reboot of a franchise that drew in old fans and was intriguing still.
    Last edited by Ebony; 01-27-2015 at 12:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ebony View Post
    For a movie who knew it had to knock it out of the park with it's first trailer to quite skeptics It neither did that nor hit a double. It practically bunted a single. It was boring. No action, questionable voice over, very dark scenes in lighting, it was a great big MEH. And it didn't need a MEH. It needed (who the heck are the Guardians of the Galaxy, I don't know, but that was bad @$$ trailer though) kind of vibe.
    Disagree completely. With the negative buzz and nerd-rage, this teaser had to go "quietly". It did and the reaction is much, much more favorable than the ill-will preceding it would have indicated. A very smart move.

Quote Originally Posted by America / Bucky / Russia View Post
    There are two types of audience:
    *Random stuff blowing up
    *Moral and ethical questions and hypotheses

I much prefer the latter.

X-Men: First Class didn't blow much shit up but was still highly engaging, I suspect down to the depth of the Magneto vs. Charles characterisation. No evil supervillain, just two human characters. This seems to me like a superhero film with an underground following, in the same vein as X-Men: First Class. No universal appeal, but is adored by the people who find something in it. Same case with Agent Carter. A really good series which raises these questions but I find my MCU loving friends turning their nose up at it because it doesn't follow the traditional formula.
    No evil supervillain? Kevin Bacon was AMAZING as Sebastian Shaw. First Class has a lot of elements I like, what ruined that film were the stupid kids in it. An element in film I call "The Annoying Kid Syndrome". They just ham-and-cheesed up what was a really awesome take on the X-Men.
    Pull List

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by randomengine View Post
    No evil supervillain? Kevin Bacon was AMAZING as Sebastian Shaw. First Class has a lot of elements I like, what ruined that film were the stupid kids in it. An element in film I call "The Annoying Kid Syndrome". They just ham-and-cheesed up what was a really awesome take on the X-Men.
    I agree. I think they just put the kids in there so it could be an 'X-men' team movie. It would have worked out a lot better if it had just been about Eric, Charles, and Raven.

Quote Originally Posted by Emma's Midriff View Post
    IMO this looks better than Avengers 2.
    agree 100%

Mighty Member America / Bucky / Russia's Avatar

I actually found the kids interesting, and certainly gave it more of a hook than X-Men Origins: Professor X, Magneto & Mystique

As much as I love films like Guardians of the Galaxy, they're a waste of time. A fun waste of time and a well made waste of time, but still a waste of time. Well, okay. It did leave me with something. An affinity for 70s music. So there we have it. A 2 hour, well made amazing commercial for 70s music and a Marvel Comics property. But I'm sure this is a controversial opinion and don't want to spark a tangential debate.
    Films blog / Books blog / Comics blog / Tumblr / Twitter / Flickr / Photobucket / Dailymotion / YouTube
    My BFI Film Academy short film Hold-Out
    Review column on Doctor Who fansite kasterborous.com
    CBR's LGBT Community

Quote Originally Posted by cyberhubbs View Post
    This doesn't really look dark.
    Looks more serious, ominous, bit dark, and epic feel, I'd say.

And while it showed stuff, and heard some, it gave more a feeling than anything else.

Not Age Of Ultron, and not super fun, but, narration stirs me, wondering is Sue smarter here, or more believably so?

Who is Reed talking to at the end - Ben? Johnny? Franklin? Victor?

Still feels a bit off, seeing a black Johnny Storm, but some smiles did I get during trailer, unrelated, whether good, or bad.

Some best bits were the experiment, seeing Reed all agog, and bespectacled, as well as seeing the Thing, Johnny on fire, and, of course, the narration. Not too fond of Sue as scientist, just plain Sue's grand, but, long as it doesn't mean Reed gets pushed down, aside, grand, how I felt with UFF, or what have you.

I might well see this - will see Ant-Man and AOU, but will see.

FlashingSabre, who's the Frank you refer to? Do you mean Trank, Josh Trank, the director?

And, House of Cards, American Horror Story beg to differ on Kata Mara, to Sousa.

Negative Zone has its' merits, like Annihilus, Blastaar, or the prison, etc. Potential there, just like X-Men/Avengers/Marvel region the Savage Land.

Quote Originally Posted by Guest_1001 View Post
    I didn't see Interstellar but this reminds me a lot of the trailer for that film. Lots of cornfields and teases about space.
    I was thinking the same, when I saw the dusty road, cornfield, etc. And I've never seen Interstellar.

Quote Originally Posted by Sighphi View Post
    Does Ultimate Thing run around nekked? Cause Thing here was nekked.

I did not read UF4 so i dont know anything about how tied it is to the book.
    So far it looks fine. The colors, they use generic tones in each of those shots that make it look like a commercial for something. They need to jazz that up a bit.

And, btw, it's official! Sue is adopted.

This was the dude that was talking.
    Papa Storm?
    Both he and Michael B were in the Wire.
    In the Ult Fantastic Four comic he starts out nude because of the accident but they end up giving him something called an "impact suit" the prevents him from accidentally destroying everything.

From what we see of the trailer this is pretty damn faithful to the source material.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderOrange View Post
    I like this new take, it reminds me a lot of the 2nd Star Trek trailer where there is a clearly Sci Fi and adventure.

I think I'm missing something here but the majority of you think the first FF films were horrible, but I just don't see that. I thought they were quite interesting, and well done definitely better than some of the X men movies that came out before.

Hulk (Marvel), Spider Man (Sony), FF (Fox). That's a lot of Marvel super heroic properties that were / are getting reboots. I don't think it's necessarily the best to have a franchise, drop 2-3 films then (or in the case of Hulk, 1 film), then completely redo the whole franchise some 3-5 years later. I think it puts WAY more pressure on the reboot to perform and if it underwhelms that can spell death for the on screen presence of that franchise. This trailer looks really good. If this film bombs, then is that it? I'm clearly old school. I think maybe too many franchises are getting reboots, when really what is needed is a well written, well budgeted sequel that can correct some of the problems from the earlier series. (e.g. Xmen: DoFP).
    Honestly, the movie probably only has to scrape $400 million to warrant a sequel, which I hopes it can do because that means they can go bigger, which is something I think they will NEED to do with a sequel.

Also, even if Trank makes a decent origin, I would not mind another director with a "lighter" flair taking over, really push for "fantastic" over "grounded realism". Revel in the wonder of exploration and discovery.
    Last edited by Ceebiro; 01-27-2015 at 01:30 PM.

Mighty Member

I like how

1) some people (not necessarily folks on CBR, mind you) have already written the movie off because Dr. Doom has a different last name and is not all powerful (yet), Johnny is black , and the FF got their powers from an alternate dimension and not cosmic rays... without actually knowing anything about the plot or execution of the movie.

2) some people (not necessarily folks on CBR, mind you) have decided that based on what they saw from the trailer the movie will be boring and unimpressive... when we only have seen a minute from a 120+ minute movie and that minute is basically screenshots.

I really hope this movie does super, super well, so people can learn to make better informed decisions in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by solletaire View Post
    I like how

1) some people (not necessarily folks on CBR, mind you) have already written the movie off because Dr. Doom has a different last name and is not all powerful (yet), Johnny is black , and the FF got their powers from an alternate dimension and not cosmic rays... without actually knowing anything about the plot or execution of the movie.

2) some people (not necessarily folks on CBR, mind you) have decided that based on what they saw from the trailer the movie will be boring and unimpressive... when we only have seen a minute from a 120+ minute movie and that minute is basically screenshots.

I really hope this movie does super, super well, so people can learn to make better informed decisions in the future.

Those people have been naysaying this film since it was first announced to be in development. They want it to be bad in the hopes that Fox will give the film rights back to Marvel. They've even gone as far as to spread rumors about the movie that had unfortunately gained a lot of traction. Many people genuinely thought this was going to be a found footage movie.