Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default Tyrese Gibson Launches "Green Lantern" Campaign

The "Fast and Furious" star has posted over a dozen images to Instagram depicting himself as the DC hero.

Full article here.

Waiting to Take Over... Charles J. Baserap's Avatar

That bottom pic looks sweet. I can see him as John for sure. Years back, I would have picked the guy who does the All State Commercials that was in the Unit and Major League, but I think he might be a bit too old now. But, yeah, Tyrese looks good here.

Amazing Member

I think a John Stewart based GL would be best. If not, then do Guy Gardner or even Alan Scott. Hal Jordan was tried, failed, but keep him out there so you could bring Ryan Reynolds back in someday and make the first GL movie part of the DC movie universe.

Hopefully, they get someone who can actually act.

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

I would rather have a Green Lantern Corps film. Green Lantern is not a single character but an entire team of heroes, something the 2011 film didn't consider. So have Hal, John, Kyle, Guy and a collection of the Alien Lanterns up against a big threat like Sinestro's Yellow Lanterns, or the Red Lanterns, or even a version of Blackest Night.

They will have all the GL in the film! The women too!

Sell lots more action figures, statues and props, if it were just one GL

i can only see this dude as Guy Gardner.
    His acting is just one note screaming and acting like he is cool.

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

Here's a trailer for a possible alternative, Idris Elba, who I think would be a good choice for John Stewart.

Incredible Member RobertoDaCosta's Avatar

I still prefer Idris Elba.
    but yeah, i think having a black GL is the right thing, some of us grew with the JL & JLU cartoon
    Bring back Ultimate Dazzler!!

Please no John film, he's not interesting enough by himself. If you do a solo, then any of the others would be more interesting. He works better in a Corps environment with other guys. John by himself just doesn't have the personality to make a movie good enough to make people accept GL as a franchise. They would have to change who he is a great deal to make it good and then fans would complain that he isn't the same character they like. I'd be fine seeing John if they do GL Corps along with the other Earth Lanterns, but by himself would be disappointing. In the end it comes down to some people trying to recreate the cartoon, even though it's long finished. I'd rather see Baz over John, that would make the news. But really it's gotta be Hal, he's the guy with the most will.
    Favourite DC Characters: Supergirl, Pandora, Red Lantern Bleez, Larfleeze
    BRING BACK PANDORA!

http://i.imgur.com/fq7hazv.png

Hyped for Pokémon Sun and Moon! Nickname your Sun Legend after me!

"There are two main times when comic book fans gripe: When something changes and when something stays the same."
    Cyborg is a Leaguer forever, not a Titan

I'm on board! I think Tyrese Gibson would make a perfect John Stewart. He's always given an extra edge to every character he's played. I think Green Lantern will work perfectly with him. It seemed to work with Vin Disel when he got the part of Groot. Maybe it'll work for Gibson.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

He looks good as John, but I'm not convinced of his acting. I'm also not convinced about a John Stewart solo. He could headline a GLC film, but have him already established as a GL. I agree with neonrider that John isn't an interesting enough character on his own unless you rewrite his backstory.

That said, I'm a huge fan of Hal so I hope that Hal is the lead, but John as second would be my preference over Guy or Kyle or Kilowog, etc.

The good kind of noise SpiderOrange's Avatar

I'd love to see Tyrese get his shot, especially as a result of a Social Media campaign on Instagram. That'd be awesome. And to those saying John Stewart isn't interesting enough to carry a movie by himself, I implore you to read the comics and watch the JLU cartoon. I find him the most complex GL. It's actually Hal Jordan I find a bit one note, "Let's be impulsive and crash into something and see if it stops the bad guy. Let's pull a couple babes on the way, too." Not for 2+ hours no.

A John Stewart centric film would be great.
    "This. Right here. This is where my life officially jumped the shark." Miles Morales
    "No, that was back on Cowboy world", Ultimate Cartoon Spidey
    ASM Vol 3, #12

BANNED

I don't think he's the best fit but I'd be so happy for him if he got the part.

very cool to see these campaigns, and actors actively interested in comic-book roles, whatever ends up happening.