Page 57 of 63 FirstFirst ... 747535455565758596061 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Taral-DLOS View Post
    Digital comics + time. Around 9-12 months or so from now, Secret Wars comics will all drop to $1.99 on Comixology, effectively halving the price. After that (or maybe even before that), they will invariably be part of day- or weekend-long 99-cent sales. If there's a series that you kinda want, but don't want to pay full price for, then you can be patient and pay half or less for a digital copy.

Also, there's a thread on these forums for trading digital codes. Let's you try a few more series.
    They do seem to halve the price of some titles with pre-orders atm too. Ultimately I guess it's how up to date you wanna be and in at the thing, but there's no reason why waiting for discounts or sales or trades. I normally do it that way, but I do want Marvel to know I like the idea of Secret Wars by getting it at the time.

Comixology is incidentally having a sale of Hickman's Avengers run until the 7th, if you don't have any you can get all of it for £50 (or whatever that is in dollars) with the two bundles (which have all the Time Runs Out issues as exclusives).

All-New Member

I've been looking and looking for a "core" and "expanded" reading order/list for this event, and just can't seem to find much consensus. I'm a fairly casual reader, but just finished up reading the entire Ultimate Marvel run finally. I'm admittedly not current on anything in the 616 Universe, though... so yeah, not really sure what to read in this event. I was a 90s X-Men reader, so X-Men '92 is a definite. I loved AoA, so whatever that's involved in, I'd like to look at.

Any advice anyone?

Mighty Member

Regarding Ultimate End. How will that fit in
    The 616 and the Ultimate U are colliding to form Battleworld I got that.im not keen on the how and why and if they know about it.I guess I will know more after Secret wars 1 or 2.I think 2 sets Battleworld up. I guess im not sure how the Secret wars books will play out yet

Quote Originally Posted by Dorkington View Post
    I've been looking and looking for a "core" and "expanded" reading order/list for this event, and just can't seem to find much consensus. I'm a fairly casual reader, but just finished up reading the entire Ultimate Marvel run finally. I'm admittedly not current on anything in the 616 Universe, though... so yeah, not really sure what to read in this event. I was a 90s X-Men reader, so X-Men '92 is a definite. I loved AoA, so whatever that's involved in, I'd like to look at.

Any advice anyone?
    The general consensus seems to be to pick up the things which appeal to you most, so your initial suggestions are sound! The main Secret Wars series is meant to be fairly accessible even to those who haven't been reading its prequel in Time Runs Out and will likely be having plenty of Ultimate characters in #1 especially since 616 and Ultimate are fighting there. If you like Ultimate characters then Ultimate End will likely appeal since it's been overseen by Brian Bendis and Mark Bradley, who started the universe in the first place. Ultimate Electro is also apparently in the Red Skull mini series if you like that character. Would bear in mind that the AOA domain in Secret Wars is a new version of that dimension, though taking heavy inspiration from the original. There will be other titles for X-Men themed places and storylines including X-hinction Agenda from 1990 (featuring Havok and Wolfbane) and 1987's Inferno (with Colossus, Magik, Boom Boom, Nightcrawler etc), so those titles might appeal too.

Mighty Member

The "Battleworld" titles are meant to connect to the main story more than the "Warzones" titles. But even then I think that's just an acknowledgement that the main book exists, more than anything else.
    I write about the intersection of science, comics and culture. Check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by LocaHoRst View Post
    Thanks, yes I knew that already

But I found this cover edition on ebay:
    http://comicbookdb.com/issue.php?ID=334519

Does Toys-R-us give away two different cover editions? The white one is also listed at my comic dealers website. It is also a #1/#2 edition. That's the reason for my confusion
    Ahh, I see. I have never seen the B&W cover before. I just checked on my online shop and they only list the B&W version for sale, not the color. So weird.
    "Magneto, you ARE the father!"

Secretly in the Shadows Starleafgirl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dorkington View Post

Any advice anyone?
    As Derek Metaltron said, it's because Secret Wars is a pick and choose what you want type of event, with lots of great and varied choices out there. But beyond that, it's also because there really isn't a set of titles that are more important than the others, but if your only interest was in the Earth-616 characters (which is the usual logic for an event like this), then I would say:

Secret Wars #0-8 (Johnathan Hickman, Esad Ribic)
    Ultimate End #1-5 (Brian Bendis, Mark Barley)

All of the "Last Days" titles (though these are hardly necessary... I guess they're only if you like that specific Earth-616 character it's about)

===

If it's X-Men you want, then:

X-Men '92 (Chris Sims & Chad Bowers, Scott Koblish) DIGITAL EXCLUSIVE FOR MAY, in print June.
    Age of Apocalypse (Ongoing?) (FABIAN NICIEZA, GERARDO SANDOVAL)
    Inferno (Ongoing?) (Dennis Hopeless, Javier Garron)
    Old Man Logan (Ongoing?) (Brian Michael Bendis, Andrea Sorrentino)
    X-Tinction Agenda (Ongoing?) (Marc Guggenheim, Carmine Di Giandomenico)
    E Is For Extinction (Ongoing?) (Chris Burnham, Ramon Villalobos)
    Years of Future Past (Ongoing?) (Marguerite Bennett, Mike Norton)
    House of M (Mini?) (Dennis Hopeless, Kris Anka)

And I mention this one because it's AoA's Kitty Pryde in it:

Starlord and Kitty Pryde (4 to 5 Issues? Sam Humphries, Alti Firmansyah)
    Prεtty Pεnny
    I have no speech. No name. I live in the action of death. The blood-cry, the penetrating wound. I am destruction.... http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7.../penance-1.jpg
    <----------------------------------->

Keep the snark to a minimum. ~ The CBR Community Behavior Rules

"What? I can't promise that!" ~ Starleafgirl

Original Join Date: 10-31-2007

Old Man Logan #2 Variant Cover. Looks like OML will facing one of his alternate selves early on, though which one is hard to determine.

BANNED

Logan from AOA.

Quote Originally Posted by Gordonstar View Post
    Logan from AOA.
    OH! DOH! Totally missed the hand missing there. Thanks Gordon! Ohhhh, that sounds like a fun match up. Though I'd quite like Old Man Logan to meet Days of Future Past Logan in all their old man crabbiness and bad assery.

Quote Originally Posted by Starleafgirl View Post
    All of the "Last Days" titles (though these are hardly necessary... I guess they're only if you like that specific Earth-616 character it's about)
    Just responding to this bit, cus the rest is on point. But just because the Last Days books are not on Battleworld does not mean they will not be important to the story. It's looking like Silver Surfer in particular will be hugely important in regards to creating the new world AFTER Battleworld. The same could be true of the others as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Metaltron View Post
    Old Man Logan #2 Variant Cover. Looks like OML will facing one of his alternate selves early on, though which one is hard to determine.

sweet. I'm looking forward to Old Man Logan.

Quote Originally Posted by Starleafgirl View Post
    As Derek Metaltron said, it's because Secret Wars is a pick and choose what you want type of event, with lots of great and varied choices out there. But beyond that, it's also because there really isn't a set of titles that are more important than the others, but if your only interest was in the Earth-616 characters (which is the usual logic for an event like this), then I would say:

Secret Wars #0-8 (Johnathan Hickman, Esad Ribic)
    Ultimate End #1-5 (Brian Bendis, Mark Barley)

===

If it's X-Men you want, then:

X-Men '92 (Chris Sims & Chad Bowers, Scott Koblish) DIGITAL EXCLUSIVE FOR MAY, in print June.
    Age of Apocalypse (Ongoing?) (FABIAN NICIEZA, GERARDO SANDOVAL)
    Inferno (Ongoing?) (Dennis Hopeless, Javier Garron)
    Old Man Logan (Ongoing?) (Brian Michael Bendis, Andrea Sorrentino)
    X-Tinction Agenda (Ongoing?) (Marc Guggenheim, Carmine Di Giandomenico)
    E Is For Extinction (Ongoing?) (Chris Burnham, Ramon Villalobos)
    Years of Future Past (Ongoing?) (Marguerite Bennett, Mike Norton)
    House of M (Mini?) (Dennis Hopeless, Kris Anka)

And I mention this one because it's AoA's Kitty Pryde in it:

Starlord and Kitty Pryde (4 to 5 Issues? Sam Humphries, Alti Firmansyah)
    I would bank on 3 major X-Men tie-ins...

Inferno
    Old Man Logan
    House of M

The reason being that those three series are the only ones being written by writers who were in the most recent writer's retreat for Marvel.

X-Men '92 will be unimportant. I cannot remember any time a digital first comic was meaningful to Marvel continuity.
    Pull List
    Avengers, Captain America, Daredevil, Fantastic Four, Hulk, Iron Man, Spider-Man, Thor, Wolverine, Uncanny X-Men
    Justice League, Action Comics, Superman, Detective Comics, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, Flash, Aquaman, Cyborg

I found this list of upcoming comics and their variants. I think it's quite useful to keep up with all those variants.

http://www.comiclist.com/index.php/l...for-04-29-2015

Astonishing Member Shinglepants's Avatar

Y
    Quote Originally Posted by randomengine View Post
    I would bank on 3 major X-Men tie-ins...

Inferno
    Old Man Logan
    House of M

The reason being that those three series are the only ones being written by writers who were in the most recent writer's retreat for Marvel.

X-Men '92 will be unimportant. I cannot remember any time a digital first comic was meaningful to Marvel continuity.
    I'd agree with those possibly being the "most important" for much the same reason.

That said, Deadpool: Dracula's Gauntlet was digital first and did impact on continuity.

Quote Originally Posted by randomengine View Post
    If it does well it would likely be kept running for a long time, as an alternate X-Men universe to the main/real one after SW.