View Poll Results: Is The Overemphasis On The Character's Warrior Facets Detrimental

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

29 80.56%
  • No

7 19.44%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksun View Post
    more things like this:

source? Also how do you read this caption?
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    It's a lot easier to cast scientist and philosopher in a positive light than warrior.
    I don't know that I agree here. Warriors have always had a level of honor in pretty much every culture anywhere. Equally we've seen variations of "Mad Scientist" in all forms of fiction. A Warrior is very easy to cast in the light of protector of the weak and a scientist very easy to cast in the role of maniacle psycopath.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    It's a lot easier to cast scientist and philosopher in a positive light than warrior.
    One glaring example that, imo, disproves this.

Jedi.

Ambassadors, pacifists, ass kickers

Negotiate first, and if negotiation fails, prove to them that they should have negotiated. That's what I miss about Diana.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gaelforce View Post

Jedi.

Negotiate first, and if negotiation fails, prove to them that they should have negotiated. That's what I miss about Diana.
    Well - the Jedi are demonstrably NOT pacifists, but in principal I agree
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Jedi.

Ah, the woman who could easily use your ass like a boot, but would never do that... until you force her!

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Jedi.

Yup.

Another important fact about the Jedi is that, while their lightsabers can be frighteningly lethal and destructive, they can be wielded in completely non-violent ways. Jedi lightsaber training has seven different "Forms" of fighting, each one focusing on a particular area of combat. "Form 3" is an almost purely defensive style that the Jedi developed once blasters become so commonplace in the galaxy. It's where the Jedi developed their blaster deflection techniques. Their version of "Bullets and Bracelets," you might say.

Form 3 is completely defensive in nature. It has almost no offensive techniques. It's whole principal is "You can't hurt me, but I'm not hurting you (though I could if I wanted to.) Sooner or later, you're going to run out of blaster shots (or energy, if you're attacking me with a lightsaber) and you'll be helpless. Give up now and save us both some trouble."

The Jedi technique of deflecting blaster bolts BACK at a target, turning defense into offense, didn't come along until much later, when the Jedi came to recognize the occasional need to respond more aggressively toward an attacker. Hence, the development of Form 5, which DOES include such techniques.

The idea that a well-trained Jedi can fight without ever actually having to strike at you is VERY Wonder Woman, indeed. Hell, in some scenarios, the Jedi were likely able to stop a fight before it happened simply by igniting their lightsabers and letting people realize who and what they were up against.

That, to me, is exactly what Diana should be about. First and foremost, she seeks to stop a conflict before it even begins. If she can negotiate a peaceful settlement, then that's Priority One. If you won't negotiate, and attack her? She concentrates on protecting herself and the people she's guarding. She rarely, if ever, strikes first. She rarely, if ever, seeks to escalate a conflict. If you don't have a weapon? She doesn't use a weapon, either (the Lasso isn't really a weapon and doesn't count here.) If you have a weapon that's no threat to her? She shows you how unthreatening that weapon really is. If she can get you to surrender simply by demonstrating that you can't even hurt her, then that's what she'll do. Oh, she'll go after you with more aggressive techniques, if she becomes convinced that the more passive approach isn't working on you, or if you escalate the conflict to include potential harm to herself or others. But Diana would rather evildoers simply surrender at the sight of her, rather than because she flies in and displays just as much savagery as they do.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

What's needed, now, are writers, who know how to frame her gritty warrior aspects, with the peculiarities of Diana's Amazon training.

Besides bullets n'bracelets, ..what else is Amazon training good for, these days?

Could Amazon training enable Wonder Woman to use the same wind currents, she once glided on, ..to disable or cripple a powerful opponent? Could Amazon training enable her to use trans-dimensional travel in hand-to-hand combat, moving or shifting in and out of dimensions, like teleporting, ..to strategically assault a powerful opponent, like Imperiex or Darkseid?

Editors should enforce that ONLY Wonder Woman and her sisters, through AND because of their unique training, can do some of these bizarre and seemingly improbable things! Only by editorial mandate, can Amazon training distinguish her, as Superman's heat vision distinguishes him and the Kryptonians. Why is that important? It's important, because creators will have to replace the hyper-violent, warrior aspects (neck-breakings, decapitations, dismemberment and disembowelment) with something interesting, ..and they will have to make that something stick.

No matter how you address it, the violence isn't going anywhere, ..but, it should result in significantly LESS hardcore violence.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 02-06-2015 at 12:27 PM. Reason: clarity
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Extraordinary Member

DC has to emphasise her warrior ass kicking side to make her personality different to the guy she is dating at the moment
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Dyer View Post
    What's needed, now, are writers, who know how to frame her gritty warrior aspects, with the peculiarities of Diana's Amazon training.

Besides bullets n'bracelets, ..what else is Amazon training good for, these days?

Could Amazon training enable Wonder Woman to use the same wind currents, she once glided on, ..to disable or cripple a powerful opponent? Could Amazon training enable her to use trans-dimensional travel in hand-to-hand combat, moving or shifting in and out of dimensions, like teleporting, ..to strategically assault a powerful opponent, like Imperiex or Darkseid?

Editors should enforce that ONLY Wonder Woman and her sisters, through AND because of their unique training, can do some of these bizarre and seemingly improbable things! Only by editorial mandate, can Amazon training distinguish her, as Superman's heat vision distinguishes him and the Kryptonians. Why is that important? It's important, because creators will have to replace the hyper-violent, warrior aspects (neck-breakings, decapitations, dismemberment and disembowelment) with something interesting, ..and they will have to make that something stick.

No matter how you address it, the violence isn't going anywhere, ..but, it should result in significantly LESS hardcore violence.
    Plus they know how to make things invisible!

I voted Yes. Wonder Woman is about balance. Part of the reasons for her very genesis dealt with balancing unapologetically dominant force with the maligned traits of compassion and love.