Page 11 of 241 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314152161111 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Grim View Post
    Where did all of this Cyborg hate come from? I'm starting to see it everywhere. It just grew legs and started walking around.
    the fact that there's so much hate for Vic makes me like him even more. i like the underdogs. which i probably why the Doom Patrol are my all time favorite team.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    Cyborg should not be portrayed as a stoic black man. Johns used that same stoic characterization on John Stewart, and now on Vic. Vic does not have to be the life of the party, but he should not be a wallflower, either.

Show the guy eating a hamburger, and excuse himself to use the restroom. I would like to see little things that show he is human. How can writers see him as human when he is only flesh & blood from the neck up? His depiction from FE reminded me of Mister Freeze from the DCAU.

I don't want to feel pity, or detachment for Cyborg.

I want to feel inspired by Cyborg.

The Luke Cage comparison works for me. I don't want Vic to be a digital depressed version of Ben Grimm.

But at least, Ben has tons of personality.

More should be done with Vic.
    agreed. Johns has never been very good at writing African American male characters. but he does seem to be moving Vic in the right direction now that his bromance with Shazam has started up. he even used a joking/mocking nickname in the last issue of Justice League which reminded me of his old interactions with Beast Boy and the rest of the NTT. i think the moping "woe is me" Cyborg phase is thankfully over. he came to grips with who he is in Forever Evil and made up with his father. now hes starting to lighten up with Shazam around. i think it took Johns longer than he had planned to make this transition but there have been so many crossovers and events that have gotten in the way of true character progression. plus Cyborg only has a few pages a month in the Justice League title to progress his story.
    i wouldnt be surprised if there was a Cyborg/Shazam team up book written by Johns right around the time the Shazam and Batman v. Superman (Vic's big screen debut) movies are released.
    Last edited by Robotman; 08-27-2014 at 12:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    So previews out for Secret Origins #5, featuring Cyborg: http://www.newsarama.com/21958-dc-pr...treatment.html

Not what I was expecting, but will see I guess. One minor gripe I've had is no one's bothered to explain what a genius Victor is. In his original origin its touched upon, but his new origin he just goes from incredibly athlete to tech genius. I think it would have been nice if they alluded to what a good scholar he was or how he has a very gifted mind etc. We see it with all the animated versions and all the tinkering/engineering Cyborg does in the comics, but with the new origin they should mention it at least for new readers.

In Victor's original origin, his parents decide to use him as a test subject for various intelligence enhancement projects. This never gets touched on anymore. He's suppose to have a genius level intellect, which was regularly on display in Teen Titans. His IQ has been measured at 170, Pre Flashpoint.
    having a genius level intellect would be a nice addition to his character but i dont think its as necessary with the current version of Cyborg. in the early 80s Vic had a computer brain that allowed him to process information faster which, added to his already high IQ, made him an intellectual force. but the modern version is connected to the internet 24/7 (something that didnt really exist in the early 80s, at least in the modern sense) and has access to all the world's knowledge. it would be cool to say that he was already smart to begin with but it's not necessary. if he needs to know how to repair something on the Watchtower he can just download the specs. with his brain connected to the internet hes one of the smartest meta humans on the planet.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    having a genius level intellect would be a nice addition to his character but i dont think its as necessary with the current version of Cyborg. in the early 80s Vic had a computer brain that allowed him to process information faster which, added to his already high IQ, made him an intellectual force. but the modern version is connected to the internet 24/7 (something that didnt really exist in the early 80s, at least in the modern sense) and has access to all the world's knowledge. it would be cool to say that he was already smart to begin with but it's not necessary. if he needs to know how to repair something on the Watchtower he can just download the specs. with his brain connected to the internet hes one of the smartest meta humans on the planet.
    With what you posted, a writer like Grant would have a field day with Vic.

I read Secret Origins #5 on the way to work this morning. It didn’t add too much to this New 52 version of Cyborg. I found two things interesting in this abbreviated telling of his origin. Victor’s father mentions that Vic’s intellect is in the top one hundredth percentile. And Cyborg’s relationship with his father continues to improve.

BANNED

Vic's father was a d***

I bought Secret Origins just for Cyborg. Red Hood and Mera's SO were cool too.
    Last edited by Starchild; 08-27-2014 at 01:17 PM.

Just read Secret Origins and I really loved it. Loved Vic's interactions with his dad in present day. The light hearted ribbing. And Jabare you should be happy because Silas mentioned that Vic's intelligence was in the top one hundredth percentile. So he still has his near genius IQ. Having Elinore Stone dead in his new origin helps us to understand why Silas would take such a risk with his son's life. The pain of losing his wife made him determined to save Victor no matter the cost. Even if it meant Vic hating him forever.

Plus in the updated retelling of the accident it clearly shows Vic still having his lower torso and the upper parts of his legs. His injuries look closer to the way they looked in the Justice League: War movie. Still bad but not to the ridiculous extreme that was shown in Justice League Forever Evil prelude issue.

BANNED

Just read Secret Origins and I really loved it. Loved Vic's interactions with his dad in present day. The light hearted ribbing. And Jabare you should be happy because Silas mentioned that Vic's intelligence was in the top one hundredth percentile. So he still has his near genius IQ. Having Elinore Stone dead in his new origin helps us to understand why Silas would take such a risk with his son's life. The pain of losing his wife made him determined to save Victor no matter the cost. Even if it meant Vic hating him forever.

Plus in the updated retelling of the accident it clearly shows Vic still having his lower torso and the upper parts of his legs. His injuries look closer to the way they looked in the Justice League: War movie. Still bad but not to the ridiculous extreme that was shown in Justice League Forever Evil prelude issue.
    Yeah. I never understood why people thought he was just a dumb jock. He's able to match wits with his own dad.

coolest part about Cyborg's Secret Origin it was written by his creator would have been better if it was him and Perez thou

Extraordinary Member

I always understood why Silas went to such lengths to keep his son alive, whether Vic did or not. I consider that dramatic storytelling.

It is great to know the revised origin shows the human/cyborg ratio is not totally leaning toward mostly cyborg as depicted in Forever Evil.

Last edited by Robotman; 08-29-2014 at 08:47 PM.

well I think you all pretty much summed up the issue nicely. Not much I have to add.

The father son dynamic is the strongest element to Cyborg's character beyond his tech abilities and appearance.

Looks like Geoff Johns is pushing the Shazam friendship more which is cool.

http://comicbook.com/2014/09/06/shaz...eague-variant/

DC Entertainment Chief Creative Officer Geoff Johns has released a look at an upcoming Justice League variant cover which shows the youngest members of the League -- Shazam and Cyborg -- engaged in a bit of friendly, virtual combat...

...even if it looks like Cyborg might be using his machine-savvy to cheat a little.

The release, of course, comes the same week Warner Bros.'s Shazam movie was made official, with Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson tweeting that he had accepted the role of Black Adam, a sentiment that was retweeted by Johns and then shared to the DC blog.

It's not clear what issue this will be a variant for, or whether it will be part of one of DC's variant theme months or just a variant cover.
    The J-man

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    well I think you all pretty much summed up the issue nicely. Not much I have to add.

The father son dynamic is the strongest element to Cyborg's character beyond his tech abilities and appearance.

Looks like Geoff Johns is pushing the Shazam friendship more which is cool.

http://comicbook.com/2014/09/06/shaz...eague-variant/

Holy crap I love that pic!

What do Cyborg fans think of the prospect that he may be coming to television as a member of the Titans? Does anybody think they may leave him out of this show since it has been reported that a movie version of Cyborg is upcoming?

‘Titans’ TV Series, Based on DC Comic, May Come to TNT
    http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2014/...y-come-to-tnt/

Yeah came across that yesterday. I have mixed feelings. Love Teen Titans, and really happy they are potentially making a show. This is long overdue and I hope it happens and its good.

I'm worried they won't include Cyborg because of the movie, and I understand that train of thought. Still Cyborg's one of those characters you have to include imo. There are a core 5 of the Teen Titans that should be included (Raven, Dick Grayson, Cyborg, Beast Boy, Star Fire). After that it depends on the plot and or direction of the show. If your taking the story in a Judas contract direction bring in Jericho and Terra. I think you've got to stay away from Speedy because of Arrow. Donna Troy would be cool, but since DC is so unclear on everything WW related she probably doesn't make the cut, and Wally probably doesn't make it because of Flash.

If they do the show I don't think it should interact with the cinematic films. And I'm ok with having two different versions of Cyborg at the same time.

So basically this is long overdue. I'm excited. They should use Victor, but I'm worried they won't for logical reasons. However, if the show is using Dick Grayson the character has to have some connection to Batman, and logically won't be connected to the movies or Gotham show, so there is still hope.

Personally I'd love if Cyborg established that strong connection/family bond with Dick, Donna, Beast Boy and Raven again in the comics.
    The J-man

Astonishing Member

I'd bet hard money that Cyborg will not be in any Titans TV show.