Page 5 of 241 FirstFirst 1234567891555105 ... LastLast
    kalel2008

Packaging Art on Upcoming Exclusive SDCC Cyborg Total Heroes Ultra Cyborg action figure. It looks like Garcia Lopez art, would love to see the original:

Attachment 4852

Quote Originally Posted by kalel2008 View Post
    Packaging Art on Upcoming Exclusive SDCC Cyborg Total Heroes Ultra Cyborg action figure. It looks like Garcia Lopez art, would love to see the original:

Attachment 4852
    That's super cool! Kind of a mix of old and new Cybrog.

Nice find.

Cyborgs getting more action figures in the last 3 years than he got in his first 30 years of existence lol

a cool Shazam deviant art page I stumbled across a few weeks back with some Shazam Cybog images

http://sii-sen.deviantart.com/

Also

Lego Batman 3 looks like its got some funny Cyborg features if your into that sort of game
    The J-man

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by LoneNecromancer View Post
    Here's hoping they one day give him a solo with a writer willing to explore heavy sci-fi and transhumanism.

(why does he keep getting cooler designs in the animated movies?)

This is his best design. The metal-based design is outdated and based on an 80s view of future technology. We're in the future now, and metals are rarely used for hardware casing. Too expensive, heavy, prone to corrosion, and hard to ground from the inside electronics. We use hardcase plastics in mostly gray and white tones, now. Cyborg should reflect that, being hard plastics and LEDs, not shiny metal like something that fell out of yesterday.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ReverseReverseFlash View Post
    This is his best design. The metal-based design is outdated and based on an 80s view of future technology. We're in the future now, and metals are rarely used for hardware casing. Too expensive, heavy, prone to corrosion, and hard to ground from the inside electronics. We use hardcase plastics in mostly gray and white tones, now. Cyborg should reflect that, being hard plastics and LEDs, not shiny metal like something that fell out of yesterday.
    I don't think we've ever agreed till now, but yeah, exactly. The Lee design for Cyborg was far too big and bulky. The current one is an improvement, but like I said I'd like to see more skin in it. Cyborg should be running off some of the most advanced tech on Earth, his suit should be sleek and streamlined.

Basically, more this-

Rather than this.

The difference between the original Cyborg and current Cyborg has a lot to do with how they were created.

The original Cyborg was created in 1980 and that origin is very different from the New 52 origin. Victor's parents were a little over protective and performed several experiments on him to increase his IQ, which ultimately worked turning him into a genius. Still he resented his parents and rebelled against their wishes leading him into playing sports and becoming a star track and field athlete.

Than we get to the accident. Victor goes to visit his parents at Star Labs where they are conducting an experiment in dimensional travel. However, something goes horribly wrong as this huge yellow blob like monster comes through the experimental portal and kills Elinore, Victor's mother. Than the creature attacks Victor and severely mutilates him before Silas manages to force the creature back through the portal.

Silas does his best to save Victor's life with the equipment available in the lab turning him into a Cyborg. Victor wakes up much later distressed as his father tires to explain to him what happened. Personally I think the time frame in Cyborg's original origin is handled better. He has to go through physical therapy to adapt to his new prosthetics, and he didn't have any weapons. Victor retrofits weapons onto his prosthetics later.

Victor's new origin feels a little rushed by comparison. He is horrifically injured by the motherbox opening and Silas takes a gamble and is luckily able to save him, by injectign him with nanites and all this advanced tech that morphs him into this super powerful Cyborg.

Also imo its clear Johns and Jim Lee wanted to make Victor very powerful from the get go. Victor gets acclimated to his new body ridiculously fast. He can move well, use his weapons, and can utilize the Apokolyptian boom tubes after a little while. So with New 52 Cyborg's design there was an agenda to make him very strong from the get go.

One problem I've had with Cyborg is artists don't adhere to a clear design with Victor, every artist puts their own spin on him, and even artists that draw him over multiple issues change his design up on occasion. Jim Lee and Ivan Reis have clearly altered his design within the same issue. Even after Cyborg's in-context-story redesign.

Here's the original Jim Lee:

but if you've read the last 31 issues of Justice League and Cyborg's guest appearances in other books you notice all the little differences between each showing.

With Cyborg's original design it was simple and artists adhered to it. Now int he New 52 feels like artists have a license to put their own spin or interpretations on the design.

My only problem with the Cyborg design is the inconsistency at times. Other than that its on the artist to make him look good. Other than that comics change or retcon things all the times so I wouldn't get too nitpicky over the design, especially when we don't nitpick other heroes over similar things.

The live action design will be a big deal though, and needs to be handled with care
    The J-man

Mighty Member

I like his look in Justice League Doom; it was very sleek and smooth. Contemporary.

As long as he doesn't look like this, we'll be good.

Last edited by Beantownbrown; 07-01-2014 at 05:52 PM.

his classic look fit with the way Perez drew the Teen Titans.

You had classic robin in his outfit. Star Fire, Raven, Beast Boy. When you compared him with the rest of the Teen Titans team and art style he fit right in. I mean his design always struck me as a little odd in that he didn't always wear pants. Still you take look at Robin, Superman, Batman and half the other DC heroes in the 80s and you don't have much to complain about. They all had weird outfits too, but as a kid I loved it.

Also at least to me the design was to show how/where he was still human. His limbs got eaten by that monster (arms legs, part of his face and neck. But his abdomen and groin appear mostly in tacks as did his shoulders and parts of his thighs. As the Titan series progressed DC made victor more robotic, and he's become more man than machine over the years
    The J-man

BANNED

Fix Cyborg.

Give him a new body that allows him to be A MAN. More man than machine. Allow him to look human. To have a normal life like the "others" do. Then when its time to work he can activate the cybernetic parts required for battle. It would be a much better visual.

Quote Originally Posted by Ikonic View Post
    Fix Cyborg.

Give him a new body that allows him to be A MAN. More man than machine. Allow him to look human. To have a normal life like the "others" do. Then when its time to work he can activate the cybernetic parts required for battle. It would be a much better visual.
    I definitely agree with this.

Astonishing Member

Fix Cyborg.

The least they could do is give him an image inducer. I mean, they have long-range holograms. He can't have a personal image inducer?

Mind you I agree with your sentiment of him being more man than machine, but there's absolutely zero reason he should be confined to the JL Headquarters.

Extraordinary Member

Fix Cyborg.

It is really that simple. I really hope the Cyborg that appears on film is like what you described.

Quote Originally Posted by Ceebiro View Post
    The least they could do is give him an image inducer. I mean, they have long-range holograms. He can't have a personal image inducer?

Mind you I agree with your sentiment of him being more man than machine, but there's absolutely zero reason he should be confined to the JL Headquarters.
    This already happened in Justice League #28

Attachment 5126

Attachment 5127

The second arc of Justice League we see Cyborg as a little despondent and kind of depressed. He basically lived in the watch tower and didn't sleep. Since than original Watch Towers been destroyed. We've seen him reconcile with his father (finally) and appear to be much more sociable/upbeat. It's been pretty slow going but there's been some subtle growth. He doesn't live in the watch tower anymore since the original one was destroyed for a few months and we know he wasn't living in the Batcave.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    It is really that simple. I really hope the Cyborg that appears on film is like what you described.

Cyborg's had about 14 different/distinct incarnations (5 comic, 3 video game, 5 animated, 1 live action). We got no idea how the movie is going to handle Cyborg apart from he will be in it and we will probably get close to his New 52 origin in some way.

For me its just a wait and see. How they handle Cyborg will have big implicaitons for his public perception. I'm remaining optimistic at this point.

As for the character, he's always had a tragic origin. The loss of his mother and the brutal maiming thats first and foremost. He's angry and depressed in some versions and rightfully so, than you see how he heals and grows overcoming his disabilities.which is the more interesting/compelling part of his character.

Over the years Cyborg's become more robotic than his original incarnation and I'm not exactly sure why. But I think some people are jumping the gun that are worried about his next live action incarnation. I believe/hope WB will aim for something that looks good, and won't be a huge monstrosity, just for aesthetic and budgetery reasons. My biggest fear is will see Robocop (2014), which I personally found to be a very depressing film. I believe will see a character thats a more human (to give the actor Ray Fisher more to work with) and will probably wear clothes, but he will be a little more robotic than the Le Thompson Young (r.i.p) version.

Last edited by Jabare; 07-17-2014 at 08:42 PM.
    The J-man

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    Ok everyone surprise surprise I'm going to be making another Cyborg video. Actually two videos, the first about Justice League War, and one following Cyborg's adventures from Throne of Atlantis to Forever Evil (once the story concludes). It's been about two years since my last Cyborg centric videos

My New 52 Cyborg origin tribute:

I just wanted to give everyone a heads up, and was wondering if anyone had any song/music suggestions?
    Thank you! Loved the video! Had to keep stopping and backing up to read but otherwise ...

You mean besides the obvious Rage Against the Machine's Know Your Enemy or Styks Mr Roboto or David Geddes's Last Game of the Season / Blindman in the Bleachers?

Stompin' Tom Connors-Muckin' Slushers
    Grievous Angels's War Down Below
    Loverboy's The Kid is Hot Tonight
    DOA's Full Metal jack***
    Alice Cooper's Be My Frankenstein

"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
    That he didn't, didn't already have
    And Cause never was the reason for the evening
    Or the tropic of Sir Galahad
    So please believe in me"

Quote Originally Posted by Rey Leopard View Post
    Cyborg is a character I never appreciated until the New 52. I was really intrigued when I heard he would be one of the founding members of the Justice League. I have been reading his current exploits and have grown to like him. I do wish he would get much more panel time. His characterization is getting better and I hope it keeps moving in the right direction. I would like to see him get a solo series soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Geek View Post
    I'm actually surprised this hasn't happened yet. I think Cyborg could easily support his own series. He's one of my favorite characters. He has a ton of potential. I could see someone like Lemire doing great things with him.
    What do you think that Lemire can bring to the table? The 52 version of Victor seems more mature. My introduction was through the Teen Titans cartoon - have the plate set on clearance put away for a future grandchild.
    Last edited by Lucette; 07-02-2014 at 12:30 PM.

Fix Cyborg.

Really hoping that's what the red button does. The one that Sylas installed on Cyborg's new body.