Page 7 of 241 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757107 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    Vic'tory' Stone doesn't run from anybody

The artwork's amazing. I love Vic's pose. That's totally awesome! Looks like he's getting better character development.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    I loved Vic calling Shazam "Sparky". It reminded me of how the NTT would tease each other with nicknames. It's a good sign that Shazam will help Vic come out of his shell.

Batman taking out Cyborg and pretty much the whole Justice League in Robin Rises was ridiculous. That was the epitome of the Batgod character I hate. Seriously, Batman hacked Cyborg? The world's greatest tech not to mention Apokoliptian tech. No.

They got to keep Bat fanboys happy I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Ikonic View Post
    Fix Cyborg.

Give him a new body that allows him to be A MAN. More man than machine. Allow him to look human. To have a normal life like the "others" do. Then when its time to work he can activate the cybernetic parts required for battle. It would be a much better visual.
    I agree. Cyborg should be able to have his human form which makes him look like a normal man and his battle form which has all of his armor. I think Cyborg having to struggle with his "looks" has been done to death pre-reboot and so with the DCnU 52, I would love it if we didn't have to re-read that same trope with this new Cyborg in this new continuity.
    We are the Dora Milaje. We are the daughters of the 18 tribes of Wakanda. We are the teeth of the Panther God. Out of 10,000 years of sweat and bloodshed and battle are we born. We are the women of this ancient land. Deadliest of the species. And our time has come!

Some screenshots were just posted online from Justice League: Throne of Atlantis

looks like Cyborg gets to drive the vehicle. There were about 25 screenshots on this webpage: http://idlehands1.blogspot.com/2014/...throne-of.html

interesting that there was no Shazam. Wonder if he is absent from this movie.
    The J-man

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    Some screenshots were just posted online from Justice League: Throne of Atlantis

looks like Cyborg gets to drive the vehicle. There were about 25 screenshots on this webpage: http://idlehands1.blogspot.com/2014/...throne-of.html

interesting that there was no Shazam. Wonder if he is absent from this movie.
    Damn I was hoping they'd streamline his armor to reflect the more recent changes made in the comics. Those shoulder pads needs to go.

It says Sean Astin as Shazam in the credits so he's still there. His interactions with Vic have been pretty fun.
    Last edited by Robotman; 08-07-2014 at 10:41 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by nj06 View Post
    I agree. Cyborg should be able to have his human form which makes him look like a normal man and his battle form which has all of his armor. I think Cyborg having to struggle with his "looks" has been done to death pre-reboot and so with the DCnU 52, I would love it if we didn't have to re-read that same trope with this new Cyborg in this new continuity.
    I think Cyborg would be a more relatable character if this was done.

Astonishing Member

One of the chief frictions of the character is the visual integration of technology into his body making people around him uncomfortable. It's a metaphor for the African American experience in this country, and you lose that if you allow him to 'pass' as just a normal looking human.

People's reaction to his look - from exotifying him to spurning him - is part of what makes the character interesting, and leads to a lot of interesting philosophical questions.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Deniz Camp View Post
    One of the chief frictions of the character is the visual integration of technology into his body making people around him uncomfortable. It's a metaphor for the African American experience in this country, and you lose that if you allow him to 'pass' as just a normal looking human.

People's reaction to his look - from exotifying him to spurning him - is part of what makes the character interesting, and leads to a lot of interesting philosophical questions.
    Great! An African-American character who is a metaphor for the "African-American experiance". Lol. Did you read that before you posted it? Seems like something that should've been reserved for a white character.
    Last edited by Ikonic; 08-08-2014 at 09:38 AM.

Astonishing Member

Great! An African-American character who is a metaphor for the "African-American experiance". Lol. Did you read that before you posted it?
    Yup!

Did you read it before you posted this?

Seems like something that should've been reserved for a white character.
    Not at all; it simply allows you to address those same themes in a different way, with a science fiction slant. It reinforces the already existing issue of alienation and makes it work better in the greater context of a world with gods, monsters and superheroes filling the streets and skies.

It doesn't take a genius to see that it's _right there_ in the origin. To the point that its shocking that you don't seem to recognize it.

BANNED

Yup!

Did you read it before you posted this?

Not at all; it simply allows you to address those same themes in a different way, with a science fiction slant. It reinforces the already existing issue of alienation and makes it work better in the greater context of a world with gods, monsters and superheroes filling the streets and skies.

It doesn't take a genius to see that it's _right there_ in the origin. To the point that its shocking that you don't seem to recognize it.
    The point is is that is BS. The X-Men used to serve as a metaphor for such a thing. That way those who couldn't normally relate had a way to. Who are they trying to get to relate to the "AA experience" with Cyborg?

Philosophical....ha!
    Last edited by Ikonic; 08-08-2014 at 10:30 AM.

If all that is true, I personally find it incredibly bothersome. Making Black characters exotic freaks who are meant to be kept out of mainstream society is offensive.

Astonishing Member

The point is is that is BS.
    Well said.

The X-Men used to serve as a metaphor for such a thing.
    Yup! And what DC comic of the 1980s was notable for being DC's X Men in terms of popularity?

Hint: Cyborg debuted in it!

Who are they trying to get to relate to the "AA experience" with Cyborg?

This is a nonsense question, but I'm going to address it as though it had some merit.

I imagine anyone who has felt alienated by society. That's the point of these characters, and precisely why those themes have been built in.

Philosophical....ha!
    Well argued! You've certainly convinced me!

It's best to just leave it, Deniz. He's never going to agree with you.
    "In any time, there will always be a need for heroes." - the Time Trapper, Legion of Superheroes #61(1994)

"What can I say? I guess I outgrew maturity.." - Bob Chipman

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Desh View Post
    If all that is true, I personally find it incredibly bothersome. Making Black characters exotic freaks who are meant to be kept out of mainstream society is offensive.
    It's not that they're meant to be kept out of mainstream society. All all. It's precisely the opposite.

But to deny that a reality of racism and all the ways that it may manifest exists isn't necessary (not to say that tackling these issues is necessary, only that it's valid and judging from the success of characters like the X Men, quite popular).

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pharozonk View Post
    It's best to just leave it, Deniz. He's never going to agree with you.
    You're right, of course. Good lookin' out!