Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Boing Boing Baggies. Baggie_Saiyan's Avatar

Default Is DC One Million worth a read?

Hi, there so I was just browsing the web for some cheap back issues, as you do, and I came across a series called DC Million which has a similar setup to the upcoming Convergence event, as there is a main mini issue followed by several tie ins, just wondering if this is worth a read or should I save my money? Thanks.
    "Yes...Mondo Cool"- Vegeta.

Astonishing Member

It's definitely worth a read. It's fantastic, and will surely end up better than either Convergence or Marvel's new Secret Wars.

There are a lot of tie ins - a whole months worth of titles all tied in - but it is unique amongst crossovers in that most of the tie ins were actually quite good. Very few of them are genuinely essential, but all of them are fun or interesting, and some of them are flatly amazing. I'd especially recommend Resurrection Man 1 Million, Martian Manhunter 1 Million, Chronos 1 Million and Hitman 1 Million, along with the very-necessary JLA tie in issues (and the less necessary, but also fairly important, Superman/Man of Steel/Action Comics tie in issues).
    Last edited by Deniz Camp; 01-28-2015 at 01:38 PM.

It's wonderful. I don't know your tastes, but I'd call it one of the best crossovers DC has ever done. The main series is Grant Morrison at his most accessible, and even the fringiest tie-ins are brimming with energy and ideas.

Morrison you say? I am a big fan of his! Thanks for the response guys, I was hoping it was good becuase I really like the idea behind the series. I will buy the main issues and I will probably pick the tie ins based on my current pull list becuase they tie ins seem a lot harder to find.

forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

There's also an omnibus out of it if you're interested
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

That should work. For what it's worth, there's a persistent rumor that Morrison ghost wrote a lot of the tie-ins. It's probably not true, but he had a hand in crafting the whole event.

The only tie-in you really need is JLA #1,000,000, since that's effectively an unofficial chapter in the main story. Beyond that, you're safe picking up whichever appeal to you.

Astonishing Member

Morrison plotted like 30 of them. He's said as much an interview, somewhere, but for the ones his friends were doing (he just let Garth Ennis do whatever he wanted). And it fits; it's a surprisingly cohesive little thing. Resurrection Man and all those Superman/Action books told pretty crucial details about the backstory of Superman and Solaris, or had important plot points regarding the ongoing arc. One of the big elements of the ending was set up in Resurrection Man 1 Million, one of the epilogues was set up in Chronos, etc.

Does anyone know what is collected on this particular paperback?
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/DC-One-Milli...dc+one+million

I seen a good deal on it on eBay placed a bid hopefully I win otherwise I will just get the separate issues.

Astonishing Member

It's the whole mini plus JLA 1 Million plus the most relevant excerpts from a bunch of different issues; the most germane stuff to the main plot.

It was my first introduction to DC One Million, and it was fine, it definitely holds together. I loved it based on this alone. It IS a bit jumpy, as you get like 5 pages of a Detective Comics issue or what have you, but it's good.

Still, it's not nearly the whole thing. You lose a lot of fun stuff.

It's worth reading and then promptly re-reading as soon as you're done reading it the first time.

Cool thanks.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Baggie_Saiyan View Post
    Does anyone know what is collected on this particular paperback?
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/DC-One-Milli...dc+one+million

I seen a good deal on it on eBay placed a bid hopefully I win otherwise I will just get the separate issues.
    There's another version of it called "JLA One Million". It's the same material as the one you're currently bidding on, with a different cover & title. It might be cheaper to find.

BANNED

Dat anti-Cliana scene

Yeah, DC 1 Million is amazing.

Just popped in to add Starman 1 Million as another excellent tie-in issue. It isnt critical to the over all plot, but it sheds a lot of light on one of the more crucial characters and will help make his actions make more sense, and as with many of the 1M tie-ins, was really well done in and of itself.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

Yes, it's the best crossover event DC's ever done.

Wouldn't say you need to read all of it, though. Beyond the core titles, you need Starman 1000000, Resurrection Man 10000000, Martian Manhunter 1000000, and Chronos 10000000. And Hitman 1000000 just to take the piss out of the whole thing.