Page 50 of 64 FirstFirst ... 4046474849505152535460 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Flight View Post
    i had no idea there was a power pack tie in issue before reading uncanny 195
    Yep but as you can imagine it might not be as well known.
    Life Finds A Way
    God Loves Man Kills
    What Is Thy Bidding My Master
    Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken
    Till All Are One

Thanks for the power pack review. I just got finished reading #195 not that long ago, and they made reference to that issue....helps fill in the backstory.
    Great job with the thread!

BANNED

June Brigman was great. I know she does some other stuff now, but it was fun when she did action/super hero with battles and so on.
    Last edited by DDD; 05-22-2015 at 07:07 PM.

Issue Information
    Title- Uncanny X-Men (Volume 1) #195
    Release Date- July 1985
    Writer- Chris Claremont
    Artist- John Romita Jr. & Dan Green

Major Notes
    Features Power Pack

Brief Summary

It Was A Dark And Stormy Night….

It is a stormy night and the team of Power Pack are sleeping on their parents’ bed when suddenly a loud crack of thunder wakes them up. The team are a little shook up but when they look to their parents for comfort they are surprised to hear that their parents don’t recognise them. At first they think that their parents are joking but as they check their rooms they discover that all of their stuff is gone, even their beds. As they search the kitchen all their foods and cutlery are gone. Their parents think that there is something serious wrong and as they’re deciding what to do the team disappear in a flash of steam thanks to Mass Master.

The team slip to the basement where they bang on the door of a man named Ortiz. When he answers it he also claims that he doesn’t know them and even backs up the story of the parents. The team have no choice but to run as they try to decide what to do next. The police have been called who begin a search for the team who have left the building. They are more concerned about their safety more than anything due to their predicament and the weather.

Power Pack are hiding out in an alley and they’re extremely upset over what has happened. They see a police spotlight and decide to keep themselves hidden. They also decide to suit up to protect themselves from the weather and they plan to find their smartship called Friday since it will help them. They also figure out that the Morlocks are also behind what has happened.

Power Pack travel down into the sewers to find the Morlocks and their search ends quicker than they expect since they are immediately captured by the Morlocks. Energizer is the only one who is able to escape but not before Masque can alter her face. She flees down a tunnel and is even almost run over by a subway train. She begins to cry as she wants her mother and at that point she is found by a policeman. He tries to comfort her but she uses her powers to push him away.

A short time later at the X-Mansion Kitty has woken up early and is preparing herself some breakfast. She hasn’t had that much sleep and she has the morning news on the TV. An article about Energizer being discovered catches her attention but she sees that the young heroine’s face has been changed. Quickly she goes to wake up the other X-Men to tell them what’s happened.

Later at Bellevue hospital Energizer has been sedated so that she can’t use her powers. The doctors are trying to decide what they should do with her and while they’re out of the room Kitty phases up through the ground and grabs Energizer before phasing back down through the floor. In the room below Rogue, Rachel Summers and Wolverine are waiting for her. Energizer is terrified with everything that has happened and breaks down in Kitty’s arms. Energizer is intimidated by Wolverine but Rachel with her permission scans her mind and the team discover what has happened. The X-Men vow to get Energizer back with her family and Kitty even gives her a jacket and makes her an honorary X-Man. They hear the alarms go off and they decide to leave before they are discovered.

Sometime later the X-Men along with Energizer have made their way into the Morlock tunnels. Energizer mentions that she thought that life would be easy with superpowers,
    Wolverine does give her words of advice and even calls Kitty the boss. Using Kitty’s powers they phase into a room and Energizer sees all the stuff that belonged to her and her siblings. This is when they’re confronted by Annalee who has the other members of Power Pack with her. Their memories have been changed along with their faces. Annalee states that Power Pack are her children and even offers Energizer a place. Energier attacks her as the other Morlocks.

The battle takes place and at first the Morlocks seem to be the one who gains the upper hand. Rogue is grabbed by Leech whose powers are absorbed. It leaves her powerless as she is confronted by numerous Morlocks who actually want Leech dead. Despite the fact that she doesn’t have her powers Rogue still puts up a good fight while elsewhere Wolverine and Kitty are being overwhelmed. They phase through a wall as they try to track Lightspeed who has her sister. They find themselves confronted by even more Morlocks. Wolverine tells Kitty to leave as it won’t be pretty.

Energizer has been brought before Annalee, Masque and Dreamer who intend to make her like her siblings. Energizer refuses and states that Annalee is an evil witch, this deeply hurts the Morlock who claims to love them. Kitty makes her presence known and tries to state the error in their ways. She is able to convince Annalee that what she is doing is wrong. Masque still wants a fight but Callisto appears and she isn’t impressed with what she sees.

Power Pack have been taken to the room with their stuff in where their faces and memories have been restored. Callisto demands that they’re taken back to their homes along with all of their things. She does feel sympathy to Annalee after she has lost her own children. Annalee doesn’t want to live anymore and even wants to face Callisto in the ring she can join her children. Energizer is able to convince Annalee not to do it and she even hugs her and is even willing to be her friend. This is a sentiment shared by her siblings but Rachel feels something in her head. She tells Kitty that they are being summoned back to the mansion by Magneto as there is a catastrophe about to take place.

My Thoughts

Now we come to the Uncanny X-Men in an issue which tied into Power Pack #12. I was surprised with how much of the issue itself was just about Power Pack but since Kitty Pryde and Nightcrawler appeared in their issue I can understand this. It was also needed to help build the story.

The main X-Man in this issue in my mind is Kitty who was both important to the story and also demonstrated leadership skills that will come in handy when she takes charge of the time displaced original X-Men almost thirty years later. It makes me wonder what the Uncanny X-Men would have been like with Kitty as the field leader. There’s no doubts that she’s the most intelligent member and she can formulate strategies. Makes me wonder if she was being built up for some kind of leadership position but she has been pushed back until recently.

The events of this issue also stems from what happened in Uncanny X-Men #193 when we saw the Morlocks with two children who had been killed by mutant haters. As explained in Power Pack #12 the children’s mother Annalee became extremely depressed over what happened and due to her mutant powers it made the other Morlocks feel her depression. This made a few of them more or less willing to do anything to stop her from feeling this way. This included kidnap which is against the Morlock way thanks to the laws set by Storm (who at this point is still in Kenya).

One minor thing I did see that I thought was a little funny was that one of the Morlocks had a haircut that looked like an arrow pointing down, it reminded me a lot of the arrow tattoos that airbenders have in Avatar: Legend Of Aang. It makes me wonder if inspiration for that came from this issue. I highly doubt it but it is just a little something that I’d like to imagine happening.

This issue also answered one nagging question I had from Secret Wars II #1 and that was how Nightcrawler and Colossus was at the mansion before the others arrived. It seems that they were away on another mission (which we don’t know about). Everything this month in comics is more or less with Secret Wars II and even the next issue of this series is directly linked to Secret Wars II.

The whole thing about Power Pack’s parents not knowing about their children was a little sad to see. I am thankful that it wasn’t permanent in the end since I find kids being separated from their parents very sad (unless for obvious reasons).

In conclusion I’m giving the issue an 8 out of 10. It was a good story which certainly had its moment.

Next Issue
    Dazzler (Volume 1) #38
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Life Finds A Way
    God Loves Man Kills
    Till All Are One

Ah, Uncanny 195. What were they THINKING when they published that cover???

In spite of that, I did enjoy the story. Katie agreeing to be friends with Annalee was a bit saccharine for me, but overall I thought it was a nice little story.
    A house is not a home without books or cats.

Issue Information
    Title- Dazzler (Volume 1) #38
    Release Date- July 1985
    Writer- Archie Goodwin
    Artist- Paul Chadwick

Major Notes
    Features the X-Men. First appearance of O.Z. Chase. First appearance of Dazzler’s classic blue costume

Brief Summary

Challenge

At a dive bar in San Francisco a large and ferocious dog named Cerberus enters. His mean demeanour causes all of the people to flee inside. One particular man who runs outside is caught in a rope and lifted up to the roof by a bounty hunter named O.Z Chase. He is there since the man named Wesley Long has skipped on his bail bound and Chase is there to bring him back to LA.

Wesley thinks that he can still get away but Cerberus appears and scares him silly. The dog only gets in the truck after being given a cigar. They soon drive away towards LA and on a radio Chase asks if there is anything hot coming his way. He is told that a big firm has been calling him for a special bonus in San Diego.

On a beach in San Diego Colossus is sitting on a beach and enjoying a tape of Dazzler on his Walkman. Wolverine approaches him and since he can’t hear him he destroys Colossus’s Walkman and tells him that they have work to do.

At a motel Dazzler is training when she is approached by a mobster who has hired her to perform. He wishes for her to be a hitman as well as singer but she throws this back in his face. His hired muscle tries to grab Dazzler but she uses her powers to dazzle him. She then uses a special type of light which makes the mobster think that he has turned blue. He flees in terror but next Dazzler hears someone applauding, it is Wolverine who does congratulate her before lunging at her. Dazzler uses a light beam to knock over some of the weights to try and escape. She runs through a door but straight into Colossus. He tries to grab her but she is able to dazzle him and get through his legs. Colossus responds by smashing the ground beneath Dazzler but she moves towards the pool. She pulls out a hose that is in the pool and she is able to wrap it around his legs and cause him to fall in the pool. By the time he resurfaces Dazzler is gone but Wolverine is there and he tells him that she has moved to her room.

Sometime earlier at the X-Mansion the X-Men are discussing about Dazzler’s request to train with them. She wishes to become a super hero and she knows that she needs training. Wolverine believes that she is only doing this to further her career and how the state for mutants is much worse thanks to the film that she made. The other X-Men try to defend her and they vote against him.

A short time later Dazzler is put through intense training sessions in the Danger Room and she does well against the other X-Men. Eventually she faces
    Wolverine one on one who is able to get around her and slash her training armour, he doesn’t believe that she should be doing this and doubts that she can hack being a hero. Despite this Dazzler continues to train and is even asked to join the team. She turns this down stating that she wishes to be by herself. She knows that Wolverine doesn’t respect her and so she offers that she has one final surprise test. Wolverine agrees and Dazzler soon leaves but not before having a chat with Professor Xavier.

In the present Wolverine and Colossus burst into Dazzler’s motel room but they discover that she isn’t there. She soon makes her presence known as she is wearing a costume that amplifies her powers. There is music playing and she creates a bright light which blinds the two X-Men. When their vision returns she is gone but Wolverine spots her running outside.

The two X-Men make their way down and Dazzler seems to be leading them somewhere. No one is aware that they are being watched from the shadows. They eventually make their way to the waterfront as Dazzler reveals that her costume was designed by Xavier and that she thinks that the session is over. Colossus pulls out a pier support being and throws it had her but a light beam allows her to cut it in half. She then jumps onto a nearby boat and uses a light beam to destroy the pier. Colossus falls into the water as Wolverine is able to climb onto the ship. Dazzler jumps onto another pier and she thinks that she has an advantage but Colossus comes up from the water and grabs her. She is able to fire a beam of light from her eyes which blinds him enough to release her grip.

Dazzler climbs out of the water where she is confronted by Wolverine. He still doesn’t think that she is up to the task but she produces a light beam from her entire body. The does slow him down but he still walks towards her. He goes to slash her but she uses an intense light beam to cut his costume, as she states that she could have cut him he still goes to attack. This is stopped by an optic beam from Cyclops, he was the referee. He has temporarily come out of retirement and he congratulates Dazzler on passing the test. As Dazzler walks away Wolverine does think that she has improved but she is also an obvious target for mutant haters.

The next morning in LA, Chase is meeting with a high ranking business man. He wishes for him to capture Dazzler and he is willing to pay a lot of money for her. Chase accepts and leaves but as he leaves he doesn’t notice the business man turning into dust who actually intends to keep Dazzler busy.

My Thoughts

Now we come to Dazzler once again in an issue which is the start of a new direction for the series. In the final attempt to save the series Dazzler is being turned into a typical superhero rather than a superpowered being who is trying to promote her music/film career. It was something that did make the series different from others but declining sales did force a change in the series. There is even a new creative behind this issue and it is like the third team in three or four issues.

One of the most important things about Dazzler which is seen in this issue is that this is the first appearance of her blue costume which became her second most famous (just behind her original disco style costume). It is one that she will wear for a very long amount of time and even when she stops wearing this exact costume she will still be wearing variants of it for a number of years. It definitely has an eighties feel to it and it is even the costume that she wears in her Pryde Of The X-Men and X-Men: The Animated Series appearances.

This issue also featured the X-Men (Wolverine and Colossus in particular) and it is the real start of her involvement with the X-Men. Although she doesn’t join them in this issue she will eventually join the team in about 18 months’ time and it will be what she is best known for. She was the only one who I’ve ever seen use the Danger Room and use combat armour at the same time. Maybe this was more to protect herself since she wasn’t entirely used to the Danger Room. It still proved little defence from Wolverine’s claws. Almost every current member of the team appeared (besides Kitty Pryde and Rachel Summers) and we even had the surprise return of Cyclops.

This issue also marked the first appearance of bounty hunter O.Z Chase who will be a major part of the last few issues of the series. He has a dog named Cerberus who seems to be his partner in bounty hunting and he seems to be like the typical gruff character. Also both characters seem to have a nicotine addiction. Too bad none of these characters appear again after the cancellation of the Dazzler series.

The whole concept of it being a test was interesting but I do question all the property damage that took place. Most likely neither character is going to pay for it so it makes me wonder who will actually pay for all the damages. All the stuff at the motel will most likely be paid by the mobster who owned it (who Dazzler made believe that he had turned blue). The stuff at the pier is another matter entirely.

There was a cliff hanger ending as we see that Chase is going to be hunting down Dazzler is a great way to build the story but the business man who hired him is another matter entirely. We saw him turn into dust so we know that he is superpowered but his exact motives are unknown.

In conclusion I’m giving the issue a 7 out of 10. It was an improvement on the previous but not by too much.

Next Issue
    Secret Wars II (Volume 1) #2
    Life Finds A Way
    God Loves Man Kills
    Till All Are One

Issue Information
    Title- Secret Wars II (Volume 1) #2
    Release Date- August 1985
    Writer- Jim Shooter
    Artist- Al Milgrom

Major Notes
    Invisible Woman becomes Malice. (No actual X-Men appear)

Brief Summary

I’ll Take Manhattan

The Beyonder is standing on top of the World Trade Centre as he observes the world around him. He is able to take on the form of a blond haired man and for the first time he feels the sensations of having senses. He wishes to observe people and he steps off the building and begins to fall. He is able to land on the ground which does catch people by surprise and he wonders about what to him is the anomaly in the form of clothing. He observes the clothing of different individuals and even watches a man buying a hotdog and a soda from a vendor. He takes some for himself and eats the glass bottle much to the shock of the vendor.

Not too far away a mob is outside the Avengers mansion and although the team are away Mr Fantastic of the Fantastic Four is trying to discover the cause of the madness sweeping the city. She-Hulk and Wyatt Wingfoot drive past in the back of a police van after they’ve been arrested. She could easily break out but it would only make them seem even more guilty.

Outside the Invisible Woman tries to take Alicia Masters out of harm’s way. A device held by a villain named Psycho Man is able to detect her despite the fact that he is invisible. His creation known as the Hate Monger changes his appearance to look like Mister Fantastic. With that he approaches the Invisible Woman and when he comes into contact with her he is able to fill her body with so much hatred that her personality flips and she turns into Malice.

The Beyonder walks down a street passed a high end clothes shop. Its window is struck by a brick. He enters the store through the broken window much to the surprise of the clerk inside. The Beyonder begins to ask about the importance eating and clothing, the clerk tells him that he should ask a friend about those questions. The Beyonder is able to use his powers to locate Spider-Man who is entering a building.

Instantly the Beyonder teleports to where Spider-Man is who is still in his normal clothing. This attracts Spider-Man’s Spider sense and he is able to get into an elevator just as the Beyonder asks about clothing. The door shuts and Spider-Man is relieved to see him gone but when the doors open on a higher floor the Beyonder is there who asks about eating. Even when Spider-Man leaves the elevator the Beyonder still follows him and due to his Spider Sense he decides to suit up and use his powers to get away. The Beyonder suddenly disappears and Spider-Man swings away as he contemplates exactly what just happened. He doesn’t realise that the Beyonder is following him.

Spider-Man enters his apartment and takes off his mask. He then goes to get a drink from the fridge and at that moment the Beyonder suddenly appears and asks about eating. In surprise Spider-Man strikes him but this does nothing to harm the omnipotent being. Spider-Man soon discovers that the man is the Beyonder and he remembers about the events on Battleworld. The Beyonder wishes to know about the meaning of life but Spider-Man states that he isn’t smart enough to know that and that he could ask Mister Fantastic. The Beyonder feels strange and Spider-Man explains that it is because he needs to go to the toilet. This is something that the Beyonder doesn’t understand.
    The Beyonder enters the bathroom and Spider-Man begins to wonder what he is going to do. The Beyonder exits moments later and Spider-Man wishes to talk but the Beyonder disappears since he wishes to speak with Mr Fantastic. Spider-Man decides to go and warn the Fantastic Four.

The Fantastic Four themselves are battling the Hate Monger as his hold on the Invisible Woman has ceased. They seem to be doing well but suddenly the Beyonder appears which catches them by surprise. This gives the Hate Monger the opportunity he needs to escape and Mr Fantastic learns that the man is the Beyonder.

A short distance away the Hate Monger is pleading with Psycho Man to help him but the villain ignores his creation. By the time the Fantastic Four reach him the Invisible Woman grabs him while She-Hulk attempts to grab Psycho Man. He disappears out of her fingers and Hate Monger begs not to be hurt. Before he can be questioned a vigilante in the shadows fires a ray gun at him which causes him to melt. The vigilante disappears but since the Hate Monger was a creation rather than a person there is no murder. The Invisible Woman wants to find Psycho Man but Mr Fantastic is more concerned about the Beyonder who is still wondering about this universe. Mr Fantastic unfortunately can’t give him the answers that he wants so he teleports away. Now Mr Fantastic has the time to explain to the Invisible Woman exactly what is going on.

The Beyonder teleports in front of the store again and sees a blue suit in the smashed window. He transports if from the dummy onto his body although it is a tight fit, he is spotted by a homeless woman who accuses him of stealing. When she sees that the suit doesn’t even fit him he adjusts it so that it fits perfectly and even creates some shoes for himself. She tells him to stick with her since he’ll learn a thing or two from her and they walk away as she explains about money.

They return to the large cardboard box which is her home but there are a gang of thugs there who beat them up for their possessions. Since the Beyonder has nothing of value the thugs beat him up. The homeless woman tries to find money so that she can pay off the thugs but instead finds a business card for the Heroes For Hire. The gang soon move away and when she goes to the Beyonder he is battered and bruised. He is able to fully recover within a moment and he finds the experience interesting. She suggests that he gets protection and gives him the business card. With that the Beyodner teleports away.

The Beyonder reappears inside the office building for the Heroes For Hire but he discovers that there is no one there. Using his powers the Beyonder sees that Power Man and
    Iron Fist were there a few hours earlier and is able to pull them through time to his current location. Power Man is angered by tis and tries to attack but the Beyonder easily swats him away. Iron Fist tries his luck but the Beyonder teleports past his attacks. Power Man grabs the Beyonder who is able to easily break out of his grip and keep the pair back as he runs towards a nearby window. He jumps out causing him to fall and Power Man jumps out so that he can try and save him. The Beyonder easily teleports to the ground while Power Man falls hard.

Power Man is still angered by what has happened and tries to attack the Beyonder but is stopped by Iron Fist who has a hunch of what is going on. He then asks the Beyonder what is going on and he gets the answer including how he pulled them through time. After some words Power Man shows the Beyonder money and explains how it can be worth gold. This intrigues the Beyonder who steps towards the building and at that moment Spider-man appears. He is about to explain to Power Man and Iron Fist about the Beyonder but they see that the omnipotent being is turning the building into solid gold. It then collapses under its own weight much to the horror of the heroes. The Beyonder states that it is to pay for their services and he teleports away but not before returning Power Man and Iron Fist to where they came from in the time stream.
    Life Finds A Way
    God Loves Man Kills
    Till All Are One

My Thoughts

Now we come back to Secret Wars II and I know what you’re going to say, there are no actual X-Men characters that appeared in this issue. It seemed that almost everyone who didn’t appear in the last issue had their time to shine in this issue. That does make some sense since most the last issue happened on the West Coast while this one was entirely in Manhattan as the Beyonder tried to search for the meaning of life.

The whole business about the madness gripping New York is due to the villain Psycho Man and his creation the Hate Monger. If you don’t know who Psycho Man is he’s a villain that originally comes from the Microverse and as we saw in this issue his creation was responsible for turning the Invisible Woman into Malice. That whole angle was played through in the Fantastic Four series and was only really touched on in this issue. I do have to raise an eyebrow at Malice’s costume choice.

The whole issue almost felt like it was one random scene after another as the Beyonder continued to search for answers. He did take a human form although this one is not the one that he is most well-known for (that one will appear in the next issue). We did get to see a lot of the heroes of the Marvel Universe but it felt a little bland in my opinion. I feel that it could have been done better and maybe it should have focused a little more on one situation rather than having several take place in a single issue.

One thing I do have to take issue with is the fact that when the Beyonder jumped out of the window and Power Man went after him. Power Man said that he was heavier so he will fall faster. That is not scientifically correct since despite weight an object should fall at the same velocity. Only objects with wing resistance should be able to fall slower but it doesn’t apply in this case. I know that many things in comic books aren’t scientifically sound (like a person growing to giant size and still be able to walk around) but this is one of the basic concepts that should still apply.

The whole thing with Spider-Man was a little humorous although it couldn’t do too much in my view to save the issue. I think and omnipotent being like the Beyonder could have figured out how to use the toilet and maybe he could have even have made his waste disappear since he can literally do anything he wishes. It makes me feel that it was just something that was put in there to try and get a few laughs but in my mind it fell a bit flat.

In conclusion I’m giving the issue a 4 out of 10. Definitely not one of the all-time greats for good reason.

Next Issue
    New Mutants (Volume 1) #30
    Life Finds A Way
    God Loves Man Kills
    Till All Are One

Issue Information
    Title- New Mutants (Volume 1) #30
    Writer- Chris Claremont
    Artist- Bill Sienkiewicz

Major Notes

Features Kitty Pryde, Rachel Summers and Dazzler. Secret Wars II tie-in

Brief Summary

The Singer & Her Song

After their encounter with the Beyonder Illyana has become Darkchild and transported Kitty Pryde, Cannonball, Dazzler and Rachel Summers into Limbo. In this state Illyana attacks ferociously and everything that the team are doing can’t seem to calm her down. Boulders are flying at them and Kitty is the only one who can get close to her best friend. Illyana conjures the Soulsword but this time it is black but Kitty is able to grab it away from her and when she does she manifests part of Illyana’s armour and the soulsword turns white again. Kitty has no idea how she is doing this but she slashes Illyana with it that reverts her to normal. She fears that below Illyana is still monstrous and that underneath and that Kitty herself fears that her own soul might be corrupted. Illyana soon teleports them back to Earth where they try to call the Avengers but they can’t get through. Since they can’t get the Avengers’ help they know that they have to save Sunspot and Magma themselves.

A short time later the group drive away from Lila Cheney’s mansion after they have borrowed one of her cars. Since the big heroes are dealing with the Beyonder they know that they can’t ask for them for help. They begin to discuss about their next move since they have been able to find the location of the Gladiators thanks to Rachel. Kitty takes lead of the team and she doesn’t want the police to get involved thanks to recent anti-mutant sentiments. Dazzler wishes to infiltrate the Gladiators but Kitty turns this down stating that the Gladiators won’t trust her after she left them, Dazzler knows that the team don’t actually trust her either.

At the arena itself Sunspot is able to defeat a group of gladiators much to the enjoyment of the crowd. He returns to his cell where Magma sees that he is wounded. Before she can tend to him a hologram of Flynn appears. He reminds them of the children that he has hostage and will kill if they don’t fight.

The team pull up just outside the mansion where the Gladiators are being held. They have decided to go ahead with Dazzler’s plan. Cannonball doesn’t agree but Kitty stands by her decision. Rachel links with Dazzler’s mind as she enters the mansion but suddenly the Beyonder appears behind Rachel. He is still in his Molecule Man appearance and his sudden presence causes her to lose her link.

Inside Dazzler meets up with Rocker Ivich. She states that she couldn’t handle things in the outside and although she is accepted she has to prove herself again. She is forced to drink the same drug she took before but this time it is more potent. This is watched on a screen by a large shadowed woman who is happy with what is happening. Everything is proceeding as planned but she suspects that there is something wrong so she makes a phone call to General Nguyen Ngoc Coy.

Later at the mansion Kitty in disguise is meeting Rocker. She has applied for a tech job and she is thrown a module that she needs to fix. They also see Dazzler through a window as she is starting her act. Music begins to play and she begins to sing which causes her to shine brightly. A group of gladiators are watching her and eventually her lightshow is able to knock them out and she stands triumphant before her. Rocker is impressed with what he has seen and in the time Kitty has been able to fix the module. He hires her on the spot but they don’t realise that the Beyonder is watching.

Sunspot wakes up to see Dazzler before him. She tells him that she and the others are there to save him and Magma. He had been one of the Gladiators knocked out by Dazzler during her performance and he has no live for her. He saw how much she loved being in the spotlight and accuses her of doing anything to keep it that way. Dazzler tries to deny this but Sunspot and Magma still refuse to leave due to the lives of the children.

This is heard by Kitty who decides to discover whether Flynn’s threat is true. She is somewhat sorry about putting Dazzler in this position and she radios back to Cannonball and feeds back the information. They plan to make their move in the Gladiator’s next match up.

The next morning the Gladiators are training when Magma throws a fireball at Dazzler. She was distracted as she was thinking about what Sunspot said about her. Sunspot himself saves her but throws her up into the air. She is caught by a flying mutant who helps her safely to the ground. Sunspot states that she was in no danger but Dazzler is angered by him and defends her goal to being a star. She states that after this her ties with the New Mutants will be severed. This is watched by the shadowed woman on a screen and she is happy to see what is happening.

Outside Rachel, Cannonball and Illyana watch on and talk about the Beyonder. They begin to wonder why he is on Earth and even compare him to God. Illyana reveals that the demon of her that they saw is what she is inside and if Kitty had not stopped her she would have killed them all. Rachel can’t sense the Beyonder anywhere and Kitty radios them that they will be carrying their plan that night.

Later that night Kitty disables the mansion’s lights as she phases into Sunspot and Magma’s cell. They are extremely happy to see her and she has also discovered that Flynn was lying about the children. While outside the others make their way to the mansion but suddenly the Beyonder appears before them. Illyana conjures her soulsword so that she can fight him but he finds this humorous. He uses his power to push her away and Rachel decides to try and scan his mind. She is bombarded with so many images that her mind begins to fall apart and from the looks outside she is on fire. Cannonball grabs both Rachel and Illyna and rockets away as the Beyonder himself vanishes.

Inside Sunspot wishes revenge on Flynn but Kitty advises against this and makes her way to Dazzler’s cell. She finds the songstress asleep and she is able to see her diary where she admits that she doesn’t want to be a star at the cost of her soul. She wakes Dazzler up as Kitty begins to explain that they’re getting out of here. Suddenly Dazzler glows brightly which blinds Kitty. She is then grabbed from behind by the large shadowed woman. She is able to penetrate Kitty’s mind and states that her nightmare is about to begin. Kitty recognise her and she can’t believe who it is.

In the arena Sunspot and Magma are waiting for Kitty but they realise that something is wrong. Suddenly Dazzler appears before them and her light is able to light up the arena. It is the signal for the main event and they see a giant armoured mutant come their way. The shadowed woman watches as she wishes to see who will be the victor.

My Thoughts

Now we return to the New Mutants in an issue which tied into the Secret Wars II storyline (which has affected most of the Marvel Universe at the time). This was definitely an interesting issue and dealt with one particular problem that was taking place outside of the whole business with the heroes against the Beyonder.

There are a few guest stars in this issue such as Kitty Pryde who had a very important role in this issue. Not only did she show the leadership skills that Wolverine mentioned in the last issue of the Uncanny X-Men but she is also the first person besides Illyana to be able to hold the Soulsword. It might not be significant now but in years to come it will play an important role to the character.

Two other guest stars include Dazzler who also did have an important role in this issue as she seems to go back into the Gladiators, first as a mole and then as a willing accomplice. The whole bit at the end where she seemingly betrays Kitty I know is not her choice. As we saw the shadowed woman (which I know the identity of) has got some kind of mental hold on her. I feel that Claremont has written her better than any of the writers in her own series and it makes me wonder what she would have become under his penship in her solo series. Rachel did play some role in this issue as she was the one who went face to face with the Beyonder. She made her first mention towards the Phoenix and this is something that will follow her for the rest of her life.

The overall story was pretty good as it unfolded with plenty of twists and interesting points. There wasn’t much doubt that Flynn was bluffing but it seems that he isn’t the only threat besides him and the Beyonder. The Beyonder himself seems to be more curious anything else while the large shadowed woman seems to be the mastermind behind all these events taking place with the Gladiators. It makes for a very interesting story and it looks like it is going belly up. I have no doubt that things will eventually work out but for now it seems that everything is going against the heroes.

It was also interesting to point out about Illyana as we saw her Darkchild persona again which is more or less Illyana’s true self which deep below her. It is the form that Belasco helped to forge while she was under her care and it was somewhat scary to see her try and kill her friends. As she said if it wasn’t for Kitty she would have killed them all without beating an eyelid

In conclusion I’m giving this issue a 9 out of 10. It was a great story with both action and plot.

Next Issue
    Uncanny X-Men (Volume 1) #196
    Life Finds A Way
    God Loves Man Kills
    Till All Are One

Issue Information
    Title- Uncanny X-Men (Volume 1) #196
    Writer- Chris Claremont

Major Notes
    Secret Wars II tie-in

Brief Summary

What Was That?!!

In Columbia University Professor Xavier is giving a lecture when he senses that students are planning to murder someone. He considers probing every student’s mind but he finds this unethical and also because he physically can’t. His powers are being stretched already to keep himself from falling apart but he still thinks that he can do something to prevent this crime.

On the Serengeti Storm is looking at the beauty of the area when she is approached by a lion with a white mane. She sees it as an omen but suddenly it is shot down. This horrifies her but she is shot in the head as well and falls. The culprits are the same group that she stopped at the café some days earlier. A woman named Andrea is the one who took the shots and she shows no regrets as she believes that they will not be caught.

Professor Xavier along with Magneto, Lee Forrester and the X-Men meet up at a cafe where Xavier explains to them about the situation. He has a list of all his students and he wants them to find out who is the wannabe murderers and who is their intended victim. The X-Men are still extremely cautious of Magneto being amongst them. A waiter does bring some food and he even mentions how great Nimrod is. The team ask Xavier why he can’t probe his students but he states that he is in an experiment which prevents him from doing this.

Rachel Summers seems to be distracted as she sees someone entering the cafe. He goes to reach for some food much to the anger of the clerk. He tries to explain how it is done and the man finds the food he is given odd. Rachel approaches him and she soon realises who this person is. She informs Kitty Pryde that the man is the Beyonder and with that he disappears. Kitty never saw him and Rachel asks her to keep things quiet. Kitty feels nervous about what is happening and she wonders where Nightcrawler is.

Nightcrawler himself teleports into St Anne’s Church where he finds Father Michael Bowen. They begin to talk and Nightcrawler begins to compare the Beyonder to God. This angers him as he feels that could believe in such a thing. He has searched within himself and can find nothing. He breaks down and cries as he admits that he is losing his faith.

Later in Columbia University a group of students have broken into Xavier’s office and are setting a device. They see the light of a security guard and instantly they finish up what they’re doing so that they can get away as soon as possible.

Outside Rogue and Rachel are flying towards the building as Rachel complains about there being too many people on the island and how she is struggling to keep all the thoughts out. They even talk about Magneto’s temporary replacement for Xavier which is normal for Rachel since he had that role in her timeline. Suddenly she senses someone in distress and when the two women land they see a man being mugged by three men. They are more than capable of fending the muggers away and the victim is less than thankful. When he realises that they are mutants he flees in anger and they see that he had been writing anti-mutant graffiti. Rachel is angered that the events of her time are repeating again and she destroys the wall with the graffiti. She doesn’t realise that the Beyonder is watching and he takes an interest in her.

On the steps of the public Library Wolverine and Kitty are sitting down while Kitty goes over the reports that she has been given. Wolverine is smoking a cigar and it is causing Kitty to cough. In some frustration she grabs it out of his mouth and takes a puff of it. It causes her to cough uncontrollably much to Wolverine’s amusement. When she is able to compose herself she asks Wolverine about what he feels about Magneto. He does have his doubts but he feels that he is legit. Both of them are worried about Xavier’s health though and soon Kitty walks away so that she can investigate the next bunch of students.

Kitty phases through the air and phases into an empty room on the campus. She does have some thoughts about her powers as she walks through the dark room. She doesn’t realise that the Beyonder is watching her.

Below some students are hanging out in a computer lab and they seem to be antsy about something. Kitty enters the room by normal means and it seems to catch the teens by surprise. They are not happy to see her and they even want her to leave. Kitty finds this suspicious and decides to play it cool. One of the students realises that she is a student of the Xavier’s institute and he calls her a mutie. Kitty responds by asking him if he is the N word to make a point. The students begin to encircle her as the student named Phil pulls a gun on her. One of the students is able to spray her with mace while another covers her mout with chloroform. This catches her completely by surprise and she is unable to phase as the students intend to kill her, just like they are trying to do with Xavier.

Wolverine, Colossus and Rogue are waiting on the steps as they feel that they are on a wild goose chase. Even Rogue regrets saving the man who was writing graffiti on the wall. Inside Xavier’s office, he, Magneto and Rachel enter and Rachel mentions that her powers haven’t worked properly since encountering the Beyonder. They feel that the Beyonder is evolving but as they enter the office Rachel senses his presence. She links the minds of both men so that they can see the Beyonder but this sets off a device that was already planted causing Rachel’s powers to fire back at her a hundred fold. It causes tremendous pain and she lashes out which is noticed by the other X-Men. Xavier and Magneto go flying out of the building but Rogue is able to save them while Wolverine is thrown up on the room.

When he reaches it he sees Rachel lying on the ground and he tries to help her. She senses Kitty’s distress and in an instant transforms into her hound costume and flies towards where her friend is. Rachel seems to have murder on her mind.

In the computer lab Phil is choking Kitty who is still unable to phase. They have heard the explosion and the students believe that Xavier is dead. Suddenly Rachel bursts through the wall which knocks down the students. She then tends to Kitty but Phil is still conscious and fires a bullet at her, she is easily able to divert it back to him but it stops just short of his forehead. Magneto is the one responsible for this since he doesn’t want her to kill the students. Rachel refuses to let it go and even uses her telepathy to cause pain to the students. There is a large debate between Rachel and Magneto over the ethics of what she is doing. Magneto claims to have given up his hatred but Rachel still remembers how she was treated by humans in her own time. Magneto’s words eventually win and Rachel stops pushing the bullet. She then changes back into her normal clothing and leaves so that she has time to think. She has erased all memories of the X-Men and Xavier from the students. Magneto and Kitty leave themselves as he explains to her how he was able to talk her down. They don’t realise that the Beyonder was watching and he takes special interest in the events that have just taken place and especially at Rachel.
    Life Finds A Way
    God Loves Man Kills
    Till All Are One

My Thoughts

Now we come to the Uncanny X-Men in a direct tie-in to the Secret Wars II event which in my mind is the first event to have multiple tie-in issues. Ok the original Secret Wars did have a few tie-ins but they were mainly the heroes leaving for Battleworld and then the next issue returning. This is different however since most of the main Marvel Universe titles had direct tie-ins to this event. This is something that is common nowadays with big events but back then it was a rarity.

The one thing I wanted to mention is that I can’t believe Kitty said the N word. Ok you could kind of see her point in saying it but even now I’m thinking that they couldn’t of gotten away with printing something like that nowadays. I admit that she had a lot to do in this issue (like doing something that her Age Of Apocalypse counterpart did on a regular basis) but even so I found that her using the N word was extremely risky and likely to be taken the wrong way. I don’t think it would have been something that was allowed in comic books today if you ask me.

Another interesting scene in this issue was Nightcrawler beginning to lose his fate due to the fact that the Beyonder is such a god like being and he even contemplates that he is god himself. For any religious person I can see how they can be dumbfounded by the concept and with the way that the Beyonder had been acting it is easy for someone to think that if he truly was god then their religion has made a mistake. Watching Nightcrawler sob like that did make us see more of his humanity and how he is only a demon in appearance and not in soul.

One of the main focuses on this issue is of Rachel Summers who seems to have a connection to the Beyonder and it is interesting to see where that goes. We saw the awesome power that she wields and it is easy to see that she is probably the most powerful member of the X-Men. We also got more insight into her mind as we saw her more or less go berserk and was on the verge of committing murder if it had not been for Magneto’s interference. I can see how she could lose her faith in the human race after an encounter like that and after everything that she has gone through in her life.

One X-Man who did have a minor but somewhat significant role in this issue was Storm as we saw her get shot in the head by the hunting party that she had a disagreement with a couple of issues prior. From the looks of this she seems to be dead and it is definitely something that is going to draw the reader in and make them want to see what happens next.

The whole business between Xavier and Magneto is something that is quite thought provoking for the reader. We can see that Xavier is getting sicker and he seems to be building Magneto up to be the next mentor for the X-Men. It is easy to see why they’re not too keen on Magneto after their history. It is definitely a point of interest which will be played out over time.

In conclusion I’m giving the issue another 8 out of 10. It was a compelling story which was well worthy of having page time.

Next Issue
    Secret Wars II (Volume 1) #3
    Life Finds A Way
    God Loves Man Kills
    Till All Are One

Issue Information
    Title- Secret Wars II (Volume 1) #3
    Release Date- September 1985
    Writer- Jim Shooter
    Artist- Al Milgrom

Major Notes
    First appearance of Circuit Breaker

Brief Summary

The World Is Mine!

The Beyonder is sleeping by a walk sign when he is approached by an officer. The Officer wakes him up and tells him that he has to move. The Beyonder is confused and when he is asked where he comes from he shows the Officer the universe where he had come from. This dumbfounds the Officer who walks off in a daze.

The Beyonder walks down a street until he comes up to a woman of the night named Toots. She tells him that he should get some sleep in the nearby Columbus Hotel and that she will be there to tuck him in (in a manner of speaking) She tells him that she needs to see cash and after what the Beyonder has learned he magics a bar of gold out of thin air which catches her completely by surprise. She is afraid of him and he even demonstrates his powers again before disappearing. Toots calls out to her employer.

He reappears again inside the Columbus Hotel and goes to the manager who gives him a room. Since the Beyonder is wearing nice clothing the manager thinks that he’s rich and decides to try and rob the Beyonder as he sleeps. The Beyonder goes up to his room and phases through the door. Rather than sleeping on the bed he decides to sleep on the floor since he doesn’t know any better.

Hours later the Beyonder is rudely awakened by a gangster named Vinnie who is surrounded his cronies. Toots is there as well and Vinnie asks the Beyonder if he created this bar of gold in his hand. The Beyonder confirms this and Vinnie wants to know his story. The Beyonder explains the events of the Secret Wars and what he has done since arriving on Earth. This intrigues Vinnie who wants to work with him and even names him Frank. They even leave the Beyonder so that he can go back to sleep. They leave Toots with him to keep him company as Vinnie has big plans for the Beyonder.

Over the course of the next shown the best parts of life which includes fancy restaurants, stylish clothing, cars, women and he even goes as far as curing Vinnie’s son of dyslexia and makes his wife slimmer. They go to a horse race and Vinnie’s horse is on the verge losing but the Beyonder uses his powers to make the horse win. They then go on to win in multiple casino games resulting in them winning a lot of money.

Days later in a penthouse the Beyonder has had his hair dyed so it is more like Michael Jackson. Vinnie is happy with everything that they have achieved but the moment the Beyonder leaves so that he can tend to some business. He takes a limo ride which is filled with hi-tech gadgets (for the 80’s) and he visits a barber shop to take Vinnie’s money from them.

Later he goes to the docks where he helps with the movement of a huge delivery of cocaine before he goes to a street corner to meet Toots. They have a little bit of time to talk and she is happy to see him since she thought that he had forgotten about her. He does have to leave and when the Beyonder drives away she admits that she loves him.

Later the Beyonder meets Vinnie who is still happy to have the Beyonder’s help but admits that he has learned everything that he can teach him. Vinnie tells him that he has to go out on his own on another turf and make a name for himself. This somewhat disappoints the Beyonder but he knows what he needs to do. But before he leaves Vinnie tells him that he can come to him for advice any time.

Days later the Beyonder has his own mansion and is surrounded by beautiful women. They go to his yacht and due to his sweet tooth he has grown fat. The women around him love him but when one of them mentions his belly the Beyonder decides to shed his weight and he goes to the helm. He is on his way towards the Kingpin’s base of operations since he knows that he is the most powerful crime boss in the planet. The Beyonder wishes to muscle in on his operations.

A short time later the Beyonder confronts the Kingpin and at first the crime boss is brash but when he sees that the Beyonder has his men under his control he has no choice but to back down. The Beyonder makes him one of his lieutenant but the Beyonder is not satisfied. He feels that he is meant to go onto bigger things.

The next day the Beyonder is made the President of the US and soon after he is the absolute ruler of the world. He feels every molecule and he knows that he can manipulate them anyway that he sees fit. His power over the planet is absolute and there seems to be no one who can touch him.

In their apartment near Denver the Molecule Man and Volcana are watching TV when Molecule Man notices Volcana’s molecules being manipulated. He notices that the same is happening to everything around him being manipulated besides himself. He knows that an outside force is responsible and only the Beyonder has that power. He uses his powers to free Volcana as they continue to watch TV.

All of the world’s superheroes bow to the Beyonder and eventually he meets a superpowered being named Circuit Breaker. He finds her interesting and she explains her origins and her hatred for robots. Even with the world is entirely under his control the Beyonder still feels empty. He decides to go and ask Vinnie for advice.

The Beyonder teleports to New York where in finds Vinnie is in a limo. He asks Vinnie about the emptiness that he’s feeling and that he still desires. Vinnie can’t give him the answer so the Beyonder teleports to Toots. She has turned her life around since she met him. Like everyone on Earth she treats him as her master but when he takes away his hold on her she is overjoyed. She tells him that she has a job and new confidence because of him and she gives him a kiss to say thank you. He realises what he has been missing and decides to release his hold on everyone in the world and no one has any idea of his conquest.

The Beyonder goes to the Avengers Mansion where he wishes to speak with the team. They are away and the door is answered by Jarvis. The Beyonder explains to him how he had conquered the world and how he wasn’t satisfied. He has felt the gratitude of another and wishes to experience it again. Jarvis tells the Beyonder that the Avengers is in the Skrull galaxy and instantly he teleports away. Jarvis realises that he might have made a terrible mistake since the Avengers are currently battling for their lives.

The Beyonder returns to New York a few hours later after his events with the Avengers went poorly. He realises what he has done wrong and what he has been taught. He knows that he needs a lawyer and he decides to find out Matt Murdock.

My Thoughts

Now we come back to the Secret Wars II in an issue that was a slight improvement over the previous issue (but only slightly). The X-Men did appear but only in flashbacks and in the background. As you can suspect they had no importance to the story but at least they appeared.

The first thing that I’d really like to mention is that this is the first appearance of Circuit Breaker. If you don’t know about the robots she’s talking about, well she’s talking about the Transformers (since at the time Marvel produced the Transformers comics). She appeared in the Transformers comics earlier as a normal person but after the facility where she worked was attacked by Shockwave she was paralysed with only her one arm still functional. This allowed her to create her suit (since she was a tech genius) and now she is on a one woman rampage against Transformers. Autobots and Decepticons alike.

The whole story was basically the Beyonder learning from an organised crime boss (who is probably the last person you want to learn anything from). He has used what he has learned to basically manipulate everyone and take over the world. Even with that kind of power he was still not satisfied and only when he got the praise from Toots for helping her turn her life around did he realise what he was missing.

Many people who had the Beyonder’s powers would likely do what he did and conquer the world. You could say that Doctor Doom did that on Battleworld when he had the powers of the Beyonder but this time round it was done properly. The only person who wasn’t under the control of the Beyonder was Molecule Man who most likely will have a significant role in this series. Unlike other villains it seems that he isn’t as evil and really just wants to have a normal life.

It was a little fun to see the Beyonder use his powers to change the appearance of people. Like when he used his powers to make Vinnie’s wife slimmer. I could see people flocking to him to cure them of their illnesses or imperfections. It would be a lucrative business for him which he could capitalise if he wanted to.

The characters of Vinnie and Toots were probably the most important since it was Vinnie who taught the Beyonder and Toots was one of the closest people to the Beyonder. It was her kiss that taught him what he had been missing. Too bad we never see her again but then again if she is living a happy life that’s fine.

One last thing to mention is that you can tell this comic is old due to the Beyonder using a VCR and a Macintosh computer (which needed floppy disks). But it is also the issue where he picks up his most iconic hairstyle.

In conclusions I’m giving the issue a 5 out of 10. It was a little bland but it was readable at least.

Next Issue
    New Mutants (Volume 1) #31
    Life Finds A Way
    God Loves Man Kills
    Till All Are One

Issue Information
    Title- New Mutants (Volume 1) #31
    Writer- Chris Claremont
    Artist- Bill Sienkiewicz

Major Notes
    Features Kitty Pryde, Rachel Summers and Dazzler. The return of Karma.

Brief Summary

Saturday Night Fight

In the arena Sunspot and Magma are fighting a giant opponent as Dazzler sings to the crowd and her light show gives them a real sight to see. This is being watched from the owner’s box by an incredibly obese woman who calls for to kill the creature. She knows that it is only a robot and that Kitty Pryde is operating it. She has a mental hold on the young X-Man. She has also taken photos of everyone attending which she wishes to use later to ransom them.

Sunspot and Magma continue their battle as he can hear a voice in his head. He knows that it is a telepath and in his rage he tries to punch the robot but much to his surprise he goes right through it like a ghost. Magma opens up a fissure in the ground but the robot stops itself from falling down by floating in the air. They realise that these abilities seem very familiar and they realise that they’re fighting Kitty. The obese woman continues her hold on Kitty’s mind despite the young X-Man’s struggles.

The robot grabs Sunspot and goes to crush him but he tries to talk directly but she can’t hear due to Dazzler’s song. The robot seems to hesitate much to the obese woman’s rage and much to everyone’s surprise Kitty is able to phase herself out of the robot and it falls to the ground. She is fatigued and the crowd begin to boo over what they are seeing. This angers
    Magma but before she can do anything Dazzler hits her with a light blast. She then attacks the pair but as she speaks Kitty realises that Dazzler is possessed. She doesn’t look at Dazzler since she is using light that hypnotises people but she is able to pick up a piece of shrapnel and throw it at the obese woman. It is enough to break some of her concentration just as Cannonball bursts in with Rachel Summers and Illyana.

Kitty is knocked down by Dazzler as the obese woman regains control. Illyana summons a demon which takes Dazzler away into Limbo. Ivich sees this and believes Dazzler has been killed, she commands the Gladiators to kill the team who fight back to defend themselves. Kitty commands Illyana to bring Dazzler back now that the obese woman’s hold on her. When Dazzler reappears Kitty tells her to put on a light show which will calm everyone down. At that moment the police start to show up which makes the audience flee.

Ivich goes to Dazzler who does not wish to flee with her. Despite everything that happened Dazzler is willing to let her go so that she and the team can focus on catching the obese woman. Originally they thought that Alexander Flynn was the man behind this but since they only saw him as a hologram they know that he’s not the one responsible.

They venture to the owner’s box and find the tunnel where the obese woman has escaped from. Magma is able to clear a path and as they travel Kitty mentions that the obese woman is a telepath and it was like a possession. Suddenly Sunspot powers up and punches Cannonball in the gut as Rachel uses her powers to stop him. He was possessed and now Rachel becomes possessed as well as she takes down Illyana. Kitty is forced to knock out Rachel as she tells Dazzler to unleash a bright light so that they can see her. They do eventually see the obese woman and Cannonball rockets right at her and strikes her but when he sees her face he hesitates. This allows her to possess him as she reveals herself to be Karma who had been one of the original New Mutants who had was believed to be dead. This shocks the other New Mutants but Kitty knew already. Karma reveals that Xavier knows her real fate Kitty also states how if she told the others who Karma was it would cause them to hesitate.

Karma is seemingly trapped but she uses her own slaves as hostages. She threatens to kill each of them if they don’t allow her to leave. Kitty is not prepared to let innocent people die so she reluctantly lets Karma board a nearby plane. Cannonball wishes to go after her but he is too weak and there is nothing that they can do.

Later the team return to where they hid the car. They can see Karma’s uncle being arrested as well and when Illyana hears what he is like she thinks that he’s a lot like Karma. Cannonball snaps at her while Sunspot punches a tree in frustration. He is angered that Xavier knew the truth and didn’t tell them. Kitty tries to defend him and even offers the X-Men ‘s assistance in finding Karma but the New Mutants wish to find her themselves since they’re not even sure that the X-Men are still alive. Kitty does give a word of wisdom to Dazzler who is feeling low. Rachel is able to sense the X-Men and they realise that they are fine but for the New Mutants their next task is to find Karma and help her since she is their teammate and friend.

My Thoughts

Now we come back to the New Mutants in an issue that surprised New Mutants and readers alike as we finally learn that the obese woman who is behind the Gladiators is actually former teammate Karma. She was believed to have been killed off-panel between issues #6 and #7 (back then she was much slimmer). It is a mystery to the reader why she has become evil but that should be explained over the course of the next arc.

Once again Kitty Pryde and Dazzler do play important roles in this issue. Kitty once again shows her prowess as a leader as she was basically the brains behind the team and she did a good job leading them. It makes me continue to think that she was being built up to lead but unfortunately that didn’t happen until like 2012 with All New X-Men. Maybe Chris Claremont decided that she was too young to be a leader and that she had a bit more room to mature.

Dazzler had her fair share in this issue as she was possessed by Karma and was actually fighting against the New Mutants. When she stopped being possessed she did pull through for them and she kind of got over the needs that she felt were satisfied when she was with the Gladiators. The Frankenstein’s Monster looking mutant Ivich even called Dazzler her best friend but after this issue she and the rest of the Gladiators never appear again. Makes me wonder if they did go straight or if they’re still fighting and it simply hasn’t been picked up on.

One nagging question that I did have which was answered in this issue was how Flynn could still be in charge after the events of Beauty and the Beast. I was pleased to see that Karma was actually the one in charge and Flynn was merely a figment in this storyline. It wouldn’t have made sense otherwise since the Gladiators had lost all respect for him and I highly doubted that they would continue to follow him.

Also at the very end of the issue we got a look into the files of Professor Xavier and Emma Frost. The subject was about Hellion members Empath and Catseye. Xavier commented that Empath might very well be the definition of evil which he could be correct with after what we have seen him do in both New Mutants and Uncanny X-Men. Catseye was mentioned to have a genius level intellect since she has grasped a lot of knowledge in a relatively short amount of time (due to the fact that she was raised feral). I do find this interesting with the character.

I also feel that there will be a rift between Professor Xavier and the New Mutants since he seemed to know about Karma and didn’t tell them. I can see this coming back to haunt him and maybe it could rise tension between him and his younger students. Only time will tell however.
    In conclusion I’m giving the issue an 8 out of 10. Things fitted well in this issue and I do look forward to the next arc.

Next Issue
    Uncanny X-Men (Volume 1) #197
    Life Finds A Way
    God Loves Man Kills
    Till All Are One

BANNED

Fat Karma.

Issue Information
    Title- Uncanny X-Men (Volume 1) #197
    Writer- Chris Claremont

Major Notes
    Features Doctor Doom

Brief Summary

To Save Arcade!

On a Sh’Ar yacht in space Colossus is sitting with Kitty Pryde as he sees himself burst through the wall. This other Colossus demands that he get away from Kitty and just as the original Colossus armours up he is thrown out into space. This creates a hole but Colossus is able to seal it with debris. He is happy that he has saved Kitty but when he looks at her he sees her transform into a Brood and this causes him to run into another room. There he sees a woman in the shadows and when she steps out he sees that it is Zsaji. When he touches her hand she rots away as she condemns him for allowing her to die. Colossus runs away and soon finds himself on the farming fields of his home town and he sees the tractor heading towards his sister Illyana. He is able to smash it but when he looks at Illyana he sees that she has become demonic. He is soon confronted by all three women who state that he failed them and he must suffer. They try to grab him and this causes him to wake up.

As Colossus wakes up screaming he armours up and this causes him to tear his pyjamas. He is happy to see that it was only a dream but he realises that he is not in his room. He sees Kitty sleeping in a separate bed right next to him and he wakes her up. At first he uses her pet name which she refuses to allow him to use and he wonders if she still hates him. When
    Kitty does wake up she also realises that they are not in the X-Mansion anymore. The next thing they see is Arcade standing by the door and he welcomes them to Murderworld.

Meanwhile in Anchorage Alaska Cyclops has been awoken by a phone call from Moira Mactaggart. He wonders about Magneto’s seeming partnership with Professor Xavier. Right next to him his wife Madelyne Pryor sleeps and when she wakes up she admits that she is disappointed to see him leaving. He promises to be back as soon as he can and she reminds him about his commitments to her and to make a family. She kisses him and they spend a little more time with one another.

In Murderworld Kitty and Colossus are eating breakfast with Arcade. They are still weary of him and suddenly a heat seeking missile comes crashing into the roof. Colossus tries to grab it but the missile evades him but Kitty is able to phase through it. This scrambles the missile’s guidance system and Colossus catches it. The missile explodes but he is able to take most of the damage and although most of the room is destroyed. Kitty and Arcade themselves are unharmed but Colossus’s costume has been ruined.

Arcade takes the pair to a room where he keeps his life replica robots of the X-Men. On the way Colossus is a little embarrassed about his wardrobe malfunction although Kitty finds it humorous. When they enter Arcade explains how the robots imitate the X-Men and numerous superheroes perfectly and that clients pay to fight them. Colossus steals a costume from his robotic doppelganger but Kitty’s patience is wearing thing as she demands to know why they are there. After some convincing Arcade admits that Doctor Doom is trying to kill him after their last partnership fell through. Kitty and Colossus are unwilling to help but Arcade threatens to have their families killed. Colossus is worried but Kitty thinks that he is bluffing but is willing to play along so that she can learn what is really going on.

In lower Manhattan Jamie is enjoying a cup of coffee with Nimrod who is in his human disguise. Jamie is still thankful for Nimrod for saving his life while Nimrod is thankful for giving him a place to live and a job. Suddenly two armed robbers enter the café and demand all the money and valuables. One even confronts Nimrod who reveals himself. Seeing them as a threat Nimrod obliterates both gunmen and there is nothing left of them but ashes. Jamie is deeply surprised with what he has seen as the other customers still hail him as a hero.

Kitty and Colossus find themselves in a World War II era Manhattan with a group of X-Men robot counterparts. Kitty is eager for a fight against Doctor Doom but Colossus warns her that he is extremely dangerous. A screen featuring Arcade informs the pair that the Doctor Doom he teamed up with turned out to be a robot and that the real Doom is somewhere in Murderworld. Kitty finds all this to be very suspicious and she notices that Colossus has been quiet. He fears of hurting her again but suddenly they hear a train coming towards them. They see a train with machine guns approaching them and as they defend themselves it transforms into a large robot and attacks. It has Doom’s face and fighter planes take off from nearby buildings. There are also several robot minions around them and they seem to be surrounded

Kitty takes charge as she commands the robots to take action. They begin to work as a team but Colossus sees some of the robots be destroyed and they remind him so much of his teammates that he has to keep telling himself that they’re just machines. One that does go down does seem to be Kitty but thankfully she is only a robot. Eventually only Colossus and
    Kitty are left standing as he rips of one of the giant robot’s arms and impales it with it. Colossus is happy since he has seemingly saved Kitty and he admits that he didn’t feel worthy of the life that Zsaji had sacrificed for him and how despite the fact that he hardly knew her he did love her dearly. He stops himself from going any further but suddenly bullets rain down from a fighter piloted by Doom who states that they haven’t won. Colossus pulls up a pipe and throws it at the fighter which causes it to crash into the building with Arcade is watching.

Colossus uses a fastball special to throw Kitty to the building since she can get there faster. He then makes his own way to the building but by the time he reaches it he sees that Doom has Arcade and Kitty is seemingly dead on the ground. This greatly angers him but suddenly he sees Kitty appear behind Doom and she phases her hand through his armour causing him to fall to the ground. Kitty explains that the Kitty who had been with Colossus was a robot. This was so that Colossus would be convinced it was her and so would everyone else. This allowed her to try and discover what Arcade was really up to. Colossus is a little upset about this but since he poured his heart out to a fake Kitty it does make him feel a little better. Kitty does regret fooling him like this and she did want to see how much he cared.

Arcade seems to be very happy and even laughs about the whole situation. A door on the back of Doom opens and Arcade’s assistant Miss Locke steps out. She was the one who was trying to kill him. It is revealed that on his birthday treat Miss Locke attempts to kill him within a twenty four hour time limit. Both X-Men are deeply surprised about thus and when Kitty asks why he was willing to get himself killed Arcade responds that it was for the pure excitement,

Arcade drops both X-Men off outside of the X-Mansion and Colossus is disappointed that he is just driving away scott free. Kitty comments that they have no evidence of what happened and it could blow their secret identities if they go to the police. They have enjoyed the time that they have spent together and it seems that despite everything between them they can still be very close friends.

Meanwhile in the Serengeti vultures swarm around the seemingly lifeless body of Storm. As they approach her she fends them off and states that she is still alive. She is greatly angered and states that she will not give up and that any who come to claim her soul can do at their own risk.
    Life Finds A Way
    God Loves Man Kills
    Till All Are One