Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    BANNED

It's a dystopian future where men rule the planet. You don't have to take it to the real world of the present day unless you want to. Like I said no one, to include myself, read "Y The last man" grumbling..."Oh Brian Vaughan hates all women..." Don't assume I'm in denial lol, just that I'm mature and objective enough to not put social politics in something unless I want to. I mean for some people "Blade Runner" was a commentary on society, for others it was just a scifi story. The list could go on. "Hunger Games" could be about income inequality...or just a cheap rip off of "Battle Royale" lol jk, kinda... LOL I don't think having a chip on your shoulder is the best way to approach a book's theme either. I'm not in denial about what the AUTHOR intended lol, it's clear from the editor's section. What I'm saying is that you can choose to read it as nothing more than an alternate future story if you wanted to, or you could be bitter about social progress. See, two people can play the subtle accusations game...
    Maybe you just felt like it was an accusation against all men. It's ok women feel this way about how society sees them all the time...
    Last edited by Pymparticalz; 02-17-2015 at 06:24 AM.

BANNED

If it helps calm you, try this. Imagine that "Bitch Planet" is about income inequality and how it could once again lead to debtors prisons. It would be like what Notorious BIG said "if you don't sling crack rock or have a wicked jump shot" you can't rise above being poor. This goes with the way that the men conspired against the woman for not being attractive, and how the rich conspire against the newly rich for not belonging unless they can keep them interested with some kind of "song and dance."
    There, now you can enjoy the comic without getting upset. You're welcome.

BANNED

I think you've confused me for someone else. I love the comic and agree with its political messages 100 percent. Down with the patriarchy and all that.

But what's the point of reading a book if you're just going to ignore or reinterpret any themes or messages because you can't stand the fact that they challenge you? That's lala land. Just go read something else.

BANNED

I have no problem with the theme either. I'm just making the point that it can stand alone without it. The point, as with any story, is the story. Like I said you can choose to relate it to Feminism, or you can choose to relate it to something else.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Pymparticalz View Post
    I have no problem with the theme either. I'm just making the point that it can stand alone without it. The point, as with any story, is the story. Like I said you can choose to relate it to Feminism, or you can choose to relate it to something else.
    That's just not true. Is Animal Farm just a fantasy story about animals having misadventures? Huckleberry Finn just a wacky adventure story with nothing at all to say about racism? The Jungle's just a slice of life novel with no point about class, I guess? The point of the story is often to deliver the the theme.

I can understand that each reader is going to bring her own interpretation of a book's themes, but willfully ignoring the central point because you don't like or can't face what the author is saying and reading in an interpretation that might be antithetical to the intent is a waste of everyone's time, especially in a work with a strongly defined point of view. If you can't stand reading the Bitch Planet because it doesn't conform to anti-feminist biases so very much that you have to twist everything into a non-feminist or anti-feminist interpretation as you read along, save yourself this exhausting mental gymnastics and go read something non-feminist or anti-feminist instead.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Hopkins View Post
    That's just not true. Is Animal Farm just a fantasy story about animals having misadventures? Huckleberry Finn just a wacky adventure story with nothing at all to say about racism? The Jungle's just a slice of life novel with no point about class, I guess? The point of the story is often to deliver the the theme.

I can understand that each reader is going to bring her own interpretation of a book's themes, but willfully ignoring the central point because you don't like or can't face what the author is saying and reading in an interpretation that might be antithetical to the intent is a waste of everyone's time, especially in a work with a strongly defined point of view. If you can't stand reading the Bitch Planet because it doesn't conform to anti-feminist biases so very much that you have to twist everything into a non-feminist or anti-feminist interpretation as you read along, save yourself this exhausting mental gymnastics and go read something non-feminist or anti-feminist instead.
    They're just saying that the story is in a fantasy setting and can be enjoyed as just that. Which, I agree, is to miss the moral anvils being flung about, but all the power to them? Whether or not you agree on the facts about the topic pertaining to the real world or not doesn't change the obvious intent of the writer, though.

Which is why I take issue with the articles as opposed to the story- the story exists on its own terms, while the articles are meant to reflect the real world.

Anyone read issue 3 yet? Best issue yet.

Brought to you by CarlsJr SickAlice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HankSantana View Post
    Anyone read issue 3 yet? Best issue yet.
    Here and same opinion. Just waiting for the discussion thread to drop for that one.
    I make love, you make me sick.