Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

I love how posts keep calling him Brother Voodoo when the front inside roll call says Doctor Voodoo!!

Rebrand fail.

I'm trade waiting this but glad to see many found it good. Flipping through it on the stand the art looks great!
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Jericho Drumm was nicely done by Remender which is no surprise since I thought his solo series was very good.

I wonder if all the different views people had of the place has anything to do with the possibility that Franklin's reality engine is still being employed here in some form.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    I love how posts keep calling him Brother Voodoo when the front inside roll call says Doctor Voodoo!!

Rebrand fail.

I'm trade waiting this but glad to see many found it good. Flipping through it on the stand the art looks great!
    It's something that'll take getting used to. After years of writing Brother Voodoo, it kinda comes second nature. It's like how I'll occasionally still call Shazam, Captain Marvel.
    Marvel Pull - Fantastic Four, The Immortal Hulk
    DC Pull - The Green Lantern, Goddess Mode
    Indie Pull - The Wrong Earth, High Heaven

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post

Rebrand fail.

I actually like Brother Voodoo better, because he's 2 brothers.

But he's legitimately got a doctorate so he's earned the title.

Extraordinary Member

It wasn't bad, but it was all setup. All the characters got split up, and then we got a page or two about what their adventure is going to be in this story.

Given that they have one story to tell before Secret Wars interrupts everything, it seems less like a team book and more like a "taking care of old business" book: one story for Wanda and Pietro to find out who's their daddy, another story to wrap up some of what Remender wanted to do with Voodoo, a Vision angst story to put him in the spotlight for the first time in a couple of years, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    I actually like Brother Voodoo better, because he's 2 brothers.

But he's legitimately got a doctorate so he's earned the title.
    They could call him Doctor Drumm, Master of Voodoo, for the alliteration, I suppose, but they must want to get the Voodoo (and shouldn't that be Voudoun anyway?) part right up front there.

Ah, well, suppose it's better than Black Magic or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Za Is No Leader View Post
    It's something that'll take getting used to. After years of writing Brother Voodoo, it kinda comes second nature. It's like how I'll occasionally still call Shazam, Captain Marvel.
    And now with Thunderworld, more confusion...

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    It wasn't bad, but it was all setup. All the characters got split up, and then we got a page or two about what their adventure is going to be in this story.

Given that they have one story to tell before Secret Wars interrupts everything, it seems less like a team book and more like a "taking care of old business" book: one story for Wanda and Pietro to find out who's their daddy, another story to wrap up some of what Remender wanted to do with Voodoo, a Vision angst story to put him in the spotlight for the first time in a couple of years, etc.
    I imagine a lot of books, this one included, will be effected by Secret Wars. Though Breevort said everyone knew this was coming so I'm sure Remender was prepared for it.

That said, I would think Uncanny Avengers would continue in some form or another. I believe it's actually the top selling Avengers book if I'm not mistaken, so it would make all the sense in the world for them to keep it going. They just got an event afterall.

The only reason I might see this book ending is if Remender ends up getting the main Avengers book, and he decides to just keep his stuff going there.

Extraordinary Member

I imagine Uncanny Avengers will continue, but it's quite possible that this story is the only time we'll see this team in this exact form. So it makes sense that it's not really a team, just a bunch of people Rogue pulled together for a search party when Wanda ran off to Counter-Earth.

Quote Originally Posted by Quasar's Bands View Post
    Few points:

1) They need to explain why for so many years experts believed Wanda and Pietro to be mutants, born and bred, and now it appears they may not have been. I think the BEST alternative is where they are going -- the High Evolutionary was able to "evolve" animals into humanoid animals, so perhaps he was able to convert "homo sapiens" into "homo superior" using X-genes from actual mutants. If they are HIS biological children, they might be cloned from his DNA or maybe they were born the old fashioned way and the mother is out there somewhere. Quite frankly there are several options for parents we actually know given the Marvel Universe history of Wundagore Mountain: 1) Puppet Master got his clay from Wundagore, remember that? He and Alicia Master's mother could have been the parents; 2) My favorites -- Whizzer and Ms. America. As originally introduced, Whizzer and Ms. America went to Wundagore Mountain to get the High Evolutionary's help with her pregnancy. Madelyne died at child birth, and Bob went nuts after the twins were given to him and he left them with Bova. Maybe the twins were REALLY her kids, and maybe she wouldn't have died except for the High Evolutionary's tinkering by injecting them with his modified X-gene? That would explain the "speed" connection and the fact that Wanda looks like Ms. America; 3) Maybe Magda wasn't really pregnant when she came to Wundagore Mountain, and the High Evolutionary put his modified babies in her belly? Then nothing else changes in the story as we have known it; 4) Jessica Drew's parents (who worked for AIM according to the miniseries) were living in and around Mount Wundagore when they conducted their experiment on Jessica to save her life. Maybe THEY (or just her mother) were the parents and gave up the twins in the name of science to the High Evolutionary; 5) maybe the Maximoffs really were their parents after all. Maybe they went to the High Evolutionary for help with a pregnancy, like Ms. America, but were told that the babies died at birth, and later when the babies were given to them for their care, he neglected to tell them it was actually their biological children (seems unlikely); 6) as noted, maybe they have no mother, and were cloned solely from the High Evolutionary's cells. Heck, maybe he took a mixture of Magneto (why he looks like Pietro), Xavier, Sinister, and other mutant samples collected back in the day and injected it into mix, so they have many "mommies" and "daddies"; 7) Maybe they were children of Inhumans as many people speculate that High Evolutionary stole and modified to replicate the X-gene.

2) Vision is SOOOO more human than he used to be -- cracking wise-ass jokes and showing bitterness. I like it, I just find it interesting they have decided to make him less, er, "Visionee"

3) Sam is out of place in this group, but whatever. Doesn't really serve any purpose, but that's OK, not everyone has to be "necessary."

4) I like how Rogue fits into the leadership role, and people are incredibly silly that they are now good friends. Beast and Wonder Man were best friends, Johny and Spiderman were as well, and it was only shown to grow over a couple of issues. Now, for some reason, because it's women, it has to take years to build up to that? Really? I think they both have a lot to bond over, especially since right now neither can kiss, hold or love the men they love (for different reasons). It is odd that the man Wanda loves is IN Rogue (wince) .... sounds scandalous in a way! LOL!

5) I thought we saw counterearth explode or get removed from Earth's orbit???? Maybe not. Counterearth's very existence always confuses me.

6) I really hope Simon can pull out of Rogue. I like Simon (always have) and I think he should be back as a permanent member of the cast and not just because Wanda and Vision are on the team.

7) Personally, I thought Pietro's line about the bragging Cheetahman was FANTASTIC. It made Pietro (like Vision) more likeable and funny. Good continuous development of his character. I did NOT think it made him sound like a teenager, but an adult with a great sense of humor. I hope we get to see Luna one of these days - she is a great character if used right.

8) I hope this "growing up here in the mountain" thing is not a sign of more continuity mishaps. That was lazy writing and only hurts the fact that these two crazy kids were raised by Gypsys/Romanis and that was their identity into their late teens. That's cultural diversity and interesting and should not get swept under the rug for a new plot line.

9) Chthon. Modred and the Darkhold are all part of the history of Wanda and Wundagore Mountain as well. I would love if those elements are reintroduced at some point into this series -- although I hope not at this point! That would add even more confusion.

All in all, it's looking to be an interesting series!
    I am really glad that Remender sent some fans into full outrage mode over the question of Wanda and Pietro's origin. No one touched upon for a while because they let the Magneto connection be the status quo for a while. But as you've outlined, it was never really so cut and dried that there was no possibility of even that version not being true, particularly since it stepped on the earlier story with Bob and Madeline Frank. In order for the Magneto version to be true, they had to go back and insert Magda into the previous story and have her be at Mount Wundagore at the same time as Madeline and be pregnant at the same time. That's a couple of strange coincidences. The only reason why Magneto was brought up was because Neal Adams and the colorist who worked on that earlier X-Men story in the Savage Land decided to give Magneto snowy white hair. Before that he had no real back story and IIRC was never before seen except with the helmet.

Quote Originally Posted by vitruvian View Post
    They could call him Doctor Drumm, Master of Voodoo, for the alliteration, I suppose, but they must want to get the Voodoo (and shouldn't that be Voudoun anyway?) part right up front there.

Ah, well, suppose it's better than Black Magic or something like that.
    Now that you mention it, Voudoun would be a better nom de guerre for Jericho. For some reason , "Voodoo" has the ring of some of those old time thrillers from the 1940s for me. Not that "I Walked with a Zombie" is a bad movie mind you. It's a real classic of the genre by Val Lewton and Jacques Tourneur.

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    I imagine Uncanny Avengers will continue, but it's quite possible that this story is the only time we'll see this team in this exact form. So it makes sense that it's not really a team, just a bunch of people Rogue pulled together for a search party when Wanda ran off to Counter-Earth.
    Yeah, this did feel like a sort of pick up team. I don't think should necessarily fall in lose with this particular roster.

S
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Plus I remember some of her early appearances and Rogue looked pretty mature with the female version of Wolverine hairdo.

This was very rare. That was the ROM mini. She even looked better in the Dazzler series. But by her second year in being created, she was given the single stripe and joined the X-Men. CC made her a child and it is his Rogue that is iconic and the hero we all love today. That is like 30 years of Rogue as a young, mouthy, brashy, sassy hero. So using ROM and Dazzler series to base Rogue on is just weird. They should be trying to give her the bomber jacket and big hair single stripe. That would be a better homage that is more true to character.

Quote Originally Posted by Dizzystarr View Post
    Im so offended for poor Sabretooth even when he's inverted he can't get any respect and dignity from these 'heroes' you could tell even voodoo was uncomfortable leading around on a leash like a dog. Rouge was being rude by just chalking it up to not trusting him and that captain falcon just going along with it real classy. I bet Vision will end up betraying the team and getting them all in even worse trouble due to his resent with Wanda. On the parentage of twinsies given Counter Earth is populated by humanoid animals i bet Pietro was spliced together with cheetah or road runner dna and Wanda either a fat sow pig or maybe Bovine dna with each getting just a splash of inhuman for extra flavor.
    Read Supernovas where Rogue leashed up Creed prior. Sabes is not trustworthy. Rogue was burned before, she is right to take precaution.

Quote Originally Posted by jen View Post
    S

This was very rare. That was the ROM mini. She even looked better in the Dazzler series. But by her second year in being created, she was given the single stripe and joined the X-Men. CC made her a child and it is his Rogue that is iconic and the hero we all love today. That is like 30 years of Rogue as a young, mouthy, brashy, sassy hero. So using ROM and Dazzler series to base Rogue on is just weird. They should be trying to give her the bomber jacket and big hair single stripe. That would be a better homage that is more true to character.
    Maybe Rogue should get all her team of Avengers to wear bomber jackets again. It was an Avengers thing too back in the 90's.