Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Default All New Invaders #14: Review & SPOILERS

PLOT:

Toro erupts from his Inhuman cocoon with apparently no changes. He and Torch get reacquainted, and Toro explains he doesn't remember anything, but flashes of the New Iron Cross -- another nuInhuman. Segue to Iron Cross fighting neo-Nazis in Germany, including one with some sort of wind powers?

Back to Torch and Toro walking through the labs at Camp Hammond, where Speedball's cat has apparently gained his powers somehow. Having finished with their the tests, the lab scientists plan on killing the cat, since Speedball hasn't claimed him. WTF??? Where is Speedball? And why did he abandon his cat?

Back to Iron Cross caught up in some sort of whirlwind by the superpowered neo-Nazi. But she's not worried, because she knows the Invaders are coming! And with no regard for ancient monuments, either, as they crash their ship into the cathedral / church. Falcon-Cap and Radiance are with them. Fight scene ensues, until Toro starts screaming and changing into some lavender flaming or gaseous creature. Who may be melting bullets? It's a bit unclear, except he's not himself.

And then Namor gets blasted in the back, and we see on the last page it's some nuInhuman named Lash (who I've no idea who he is).

REVIEW:

If this wasn't the next to the last issue, and if we hadn't gotten an Invaderless story last issue, I'd be quite content with this issue. However, it is the next to the last issue and we didn't get any Invaders last issue, and I'm frankly wondering how in the world Robinson is going to tie everything together into a satisfactory conclusion, when he's introduced yet ANOTHER plotline this issue and hasn't done anything with all the other story lines he's been introducing and weaving together.

I expected to see Martians and Killraven and Union Jack and Spitfire in this issue and have some hint how it tied into the Martians at that Chessworld with Tanalth and Markarri and the Kree -- plus Galactus. Instead we've got some lame Inhumans and Speedball's cat! Well, Lash (and the cat) may not be lame, but he certainly isn't a character I know or care about, and even more importantly connects to previous plotlines.

Besides my expectations being disappointed, the only other problem I had with this issue was Falcon Cap just showing up with the team. Instead of the Speedball's cat scene, I'd much rather have had some scene with Hammond, or Steve Rogers, asking him to join them against the Neo Nazis. The Invaders all have a WWII connection, and Falcon Cap doesn't. And no, I don't think wearing the suit is enough, so I'd have liked to seen that explored, if he was joining the Invaders. Also, where's Bucky??? You'd think he'd want to be around when Toro came out of the cocoon.

Steve Pugh remains awesome. His art is slick and he delivers on the big action scenes, without skimping on details. I hope he gets to work his magic on another Marvel book as consistently as he has on Invaders. He has given Robinson's story it's own artistic identity, with only a few interruptions from Marc Lamming -- whose work was also good, and not too disruptive.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

The Best There Is berserkerclaw's Avatar

Bucky is in England with spitfire and union jack along with Killraven and the martians. A plot I was looking forward to. Lash and the inhumans I wasnt.
    X-Men Forever

Quote Originally Posted by berserkerclaw View Post
    Bucky is in England with spitfire and union jack along with Killraven and the martians. A plot I was looking forward to. Lash and the inhumans I wasnt.
    I agree! I could have sworn the solicits / previews said something about them appearing in this issue, but maybe it was for next issue. But still ... I'd rather have seen that plotline more in depth, especially when it ties in with the Kree stuff.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Quote Originally Posted by dzub View Post
    yeah there was'nt much ceremony with falcon cap coming in the team..i wish they'd show them accepting him and giving invader cards or something
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravin' Ray View Post
    My take is that as Steve's successor, they know he has his blessing and just took it in stride. Maybe given the circumstances they didn't want to stand on ceremony.
    I don't see there being much ceremony, or Invader cards, but I don't see any connection between Sam Wilson and the rest of the Invaders. Bucky is the one Sam Wilson has a connection to, and I could see him asking Falcon to come along, but he's not there either. It would also have been different if Sam was at Camp Hammond when the call came through, but that doesn't appear to be the case either.

I just would have liked to see on the page, some reason why Hammond asked Sam along. Am I missing something? Did Hammond and Falcon used to hang out?

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    I don't see there being much ceremony, or Invader cards, but I don't see any connection between Sam Wilson and the rest of the Invaders. Bucky is the one Sam Wilson has a connection to, and I could see him asking Falcon to come along, but he's not there either. It would also have been different if Sam was at Camp Hammond when the call came through, but that doesn't appear to be the case either.

I just would have liked to see on the page, some reason why Hammond asked Sam along. Am I missing something? Did Hammond and Falcon used to hang out?
    I imagine Steve asked Sam to go in his stead. Besides, he essentially Caps best friend and currently carrying the mantle, what the hell, you know? Even USAgent has been part of the Invaders before.
    Marvel Pull - Fantastic Four, The Immortal Hulk
    DC Pull - The Green Lantern, Goddess Mode
    Indie Pull - The Wrong Earth, High Heaven

Quote Originally Posted by Za Is No Leader View Post
    I imagine Steve asked Sam to go in his stead. Besides, he essentially Caps best friend and currently carrying the mantle, what the hell, you know? Even USAgent has been part of the Invaders before.
    I'm not objecting to Falcon Cap being on the team. I'd just like to see how that came about -- far more than seeing Speedball's cat. Now, maybe the cat will be a huge plot point in the next, final issue, but that would be kind of disappointing, too, when there's so many other plotlines unresolved.

Astonishing Member

FYI, Lash is one of the leaders of Orrolan, one of the non-Attilan Inhuman communities. He's been going around recruiting new Inhumans to his side. Medusa put him in his place in the first few issues of Soule's run.

Also, as far as Speedball's cat having powers, I think that's actually a long-established trait for the feline.

Spectacular Member

Speculation:

1) Jim's going to adopt that cat (duh) in probably the last page of the series (awwww).
    2) I'll be ticked off if Toro goes with Lash instead of sticking with the team, but I'm guessing that's what happens and we'll see Toro appear in the Inhuman's book. We'll learn more about Toro's powers anyway (probably quickly).
    3) I'm sure the whole team will turn from Germany to England, meet up with the other Invaders, and fight the Martians off, ending the series and making the team even bigger than it currently is (including Spitfire, Union Jack, and a certain older gentleman with silly striped pants).

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Quasar's Bands View Post
    Speculation:

1) Jim's going to adopt that cat (duh) in probably the last page of the series (awwww).
    2) I'll be ticked off if Toro goes with Lash instead of sticking with the team, but I'm guessing that's what happens and we'll see Toro appear in the Inhuman's book. We'll learn more about Toro's powers anyway (probably quickly).
    3) I'm sure the whole team will turn from Germany to England, meet up with the other Invaders, and fight the Martians off, ending the series and making the team even bigger than it currently is (including Spitfire, Union Jack, and a certain older gentleman with silly striped pants).
    Oh yes, and with respect to the plot line that was NOT resolved in New Warriors and discussed in issue #13, I'm confident it will NOT be resolved in Invaders either. My suspicion is that it is building up to something that will be a "Secret Invasion" - like event similar to the Skrulls, except as reflected last issue, it will not just be on Earth, but all over the universe - including among Kree and Shi'ar empires. My guess, since the High Evolutionary was part of the New Warriors storyline, it will be addressed in Uncanny Avengers, where he is part of the current plot - but we'll see!

Quote Originally Posted by Ceebiro View Post
    FYI, Lash is one of the leaders of Orrolan, one of the non-Attilan Inhuman communities. He's been going around recruiting new Inhumans to his side. Medusa put him in his place in the first few issues of Soule's run.

Also, as far as Speedball's cat having powers, I think that's actually a long-established trait for the feline.
    Thank you for the clarification. It would be very much like Robinson to pick up on Speedball having a cat, instead of creating it for this issue. But I still would rather have seen a scene between Sam and Jim, instead.

Speculation:

Yes, I agree, all these sound likely. I'm not sure if Jim needs a cat though. Dogs are the way to go!

I'm also not sure Toro will get much use in the Inhumans, but I guess it is better than limbo.

Oh yes, and with respect to the plot line that was NOT resolved in New Warriors and discussed in issue #13, I'm confident it will NOT be resolved in Invaders either. My suspicion is that it is building up to something that will be a "Secret Invasion" - like event similar to the Skrulls, except as reflected last issue, it will not just be on Earth, but all over the universe - including among Kree and Shi'ar empires. My guess, since the High Evolutionary was part of the New Warriors storyline, it will be addressed in Uncanny Avengers, where he is part of the current plot - but we'll see!
    I wasn't aware that there was a plotline in New Warriors that was in Invaders #13, and involved the High Evolutionary. I'll have to go back and re-read.

Yes, it seems a bit much that the Killraven Martian plotline AND the Martian / Galactus / Eternal / Kree God Whisperer plotline would all be wrapped up in one issue, along with Toro's new Inhuman status and Lash. I'm not sure where Robinson will pick up these threads, but I will be disappointed if he's using the final issues of Invaders to seed another non-Invaders book.

That said, I'm starting to get that Fraction Defenders series end feeling, where he unsuccessfully tried to cram in something like 30 issues worth of plot into one issue.