Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    BANNED

Default What do YOU want to see on the "7 Unknown Worlds?" [MULTIVERSITY GUIDEBOOK SPOILERS]

We've known of the 7 unknown worlds since the map of the Multiverse was released months ago, but I figured I'd warn about spoilers anyway.

What do you want to see these 7 worlds be used for?

Note that they aren't "Earths," but rather, worlds. I find that telling to some extent. After all, it's not the "MultiEarths," it's the Multiverse.

Here are a few of my pics:

*Pre-Flashpoint Continuity: it seems this might be either unlikely or impossible (or both) given what Convergence seems to be suggesting about "battles for relevance" and "bottled cities" versus bottled continuities, but if Alex Luthor could use inhabitants of different Earths to restore those Earths in Infinite Crisis, I don't see why that can't happen again. We know quite a few characters from the pre-Flashpoint era will be in Convergence. Put them one one of these Earths and use them to restore that Earth.

*Pre-Crisis Earth 1: Yep, same thing here. I would love to see that Earth restored, though I realize its likeness to the post-COIE/pre-Flashpoint continuity probably means it will be either/or if at all.

*Secret Identity: Kurt Busiek's wonderful mini should get its own Earth, thus redeeming the ruination of a great Elliot S! Maggin concept in Infinite Crisis and beyond.

*Birthright Earth: this is just pure wishing here...I know it's not likely to happen, but I'd love to see a title in that continuity written by Waid.

*Speeding Bullets Earth: I love that old Elseworlds, though many seems to dislike it these days. Kal is Bruce Wayne is Batman is Superman. I'd love to see what became of that character and his world.

*World Without A Superman: don't care if it's the original or my beloved post-COIE version, give me an Earth that is divided by BS and AS: Before Superman and After Superman. How does Supergirl do in her cousin's job? What becomes of the 4 Supermen if the original never returns?

*Superman Red/Superman Blue: sure, there's no more conflict and thus, no more drama after the Supermen cured all evils and ills and went on with their lives...or is there? This would be a fun place to explore what happens to humanity in a utopian setting after too long.

Do you guys think these worlds should even be Earths or even be used? I'd keep a few mysterious for a while, maybe have them visited by residents of other Earths only to find there's nothing there yet, or to find something shocking but not have the reader see what the character is seeing.

Astonishing Member

I think most of these suggestions would be a waste really of those seven Earths that Morrison left for future writers. Especially the Superman Secret Identity one since that was always intended to be the a reimagining of Superboy Prime. If you are going to put him somewhere put him on Earth Prime. A lot of these ideas are too rooted frankly in fanlike nostalgia and in my opinion fail to see the full potential of an entirely new universe for a writer-artist team to build upon. At least imo one of them should be used to incorporate the live action DC tv shows or movies such as Arrow and Flash. The rest of them should be given to some writer/artist with decent world building skills to do as they wish. Maybe something like Dan Jurgen's Tangent or Stan Lee's Just Imagine series of books. Let them create entirely brand new characters and universe. But using those worlds just to put Elseworld stories back into "continuity" is just a waste.
    Last edited by Bruce Wayne; 01-28-2015 at 07:51 PM.

I think one or two may end up getting used for Convergence refugees.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Note too that the Multiversal map has certain rules to it: worlds are the way they are because they're in certain quadrants and in opposition to other worlds on the other side of the map. What ring they're in may be a factor as well.

For example, Earth-24 is opposite Earth-30 (Red Son). I've theorized that a world like Superman: War of the Worlds could work here. War of the Worlds was a story where H.G. Wells' Martian invasion happened at the same time as Superman's 1938 debut. I see it as fitting: it's a dark, chaotic world, so it fits in Earth-24's quadrant. It's a fitting opposite to Red Son: the latter is a world about a conquering Soviet Superman; WotW is a world about an American Superman who fights conquerors.

Am I right? Who knows. I came up with what I think is a decent idea, but a future writer and/or Morrison might have other ideas. They may not even obey the laws of the map--they may decide Earth-24 is the world where Superman met the Quik Bunny and everyone drinks chocolate milk.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Cosmic View Post

*Pre-Flashpoint Continuity: it seems this might be either unlikely or impossible (or both) given what Convergence seems to be suggesting about "battles for relevance" and "bottled cities" versus bottled continuities, but if Alex Luthor could use inhabitants of different Earths to restore those Earths in Infinite Crisis, I don't see why that can't happen again. We know quite a few characters from the pre-Flashpoint era will be in Convergence. Put them one one of these Earths and use them to restore that Earth.+
    Could work but I doubt than DC would compite with itsef.

*Pre-Crisis Earth 1: Yep, same thing here. I would love to see that Earth restored, though I realize its likeness to the post-COIE/pre-Flashpoint continuity probably means it will be either/or if at all.
    Same as before.

*Secret Identity: Kurt Busiek's wonderful mini should get its own Earth, thus redeeming the ruination of a great Elliot S! Maggin concept in Infinite Crisis and beyond.
    It was a great story. Superboy Prime done right.

*Speeding Bullets Earth: I love that old Elseworlds, though many seems to dislike it these days. Kal is Bruce Wayne is Batman is Superman. I'd love to see what became of that character and his world.
    I wished for this one too. I really wanted this one. But with one mash up earth already, what's the point? Sigh. That spot was already taken.
    *World Without A Superman: don't care if it's the original or my beloved post-COIE version, give me an Earth that is divided by BS and AS: Before Superman and After Superman. How does Supergirl do in her cousin's job? What becomes of the 4 Supermen if the original never returns?
    This could be interesting, only if you twist to be a world without returns: Azrael still as Batman, Jordan is still Parallax and so.

*Superman Red/Superman Blue: sure, there's no more conflict and thus, no more drama after the Supermen cured all evils and ills and went on with their lives...or is there? This would be a fun place to explore what happens to humanity in a utopian setting after too long.
    I think the story with utopia landscape is than utopia doesn't work. And what is seems good before now it would be very questioning today. I mean: massive brainwashing? Exiling mer-people to other planet? Can really two Supermen be something good? Also, we read stories about worlds without problems or any conflict? The story beggins when the serpent enter paradise. Any way nice picks.

My picks would be...

SupermanRed / Superman Blue, but with the twist I commented.

Wildstorm. (Yeah, I'm hurt).

Inferior Five Mad like world. With parodies to DC and Marvel. And their comical characters. There is no parody superheroes here.

Superman: Kal elseworld. There is an absence of a medieval DC universe. If not, Dark Knight of the Round Table.

Flashpoint: Why not? Let' s back to age of... I mean, to Flashpoint.

Batgirl/Supergirl: Elseworlds Finest. It had good art.

The militaristic Overman and his universe from Animal Man. The same world than gave origin to Dreamworld.
    Last edited by Thor-Ul; 01-28-2015 at 08:25 PM.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Long Live the Legion! Paul Newell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
    I think most of these suggestions would be a waste really of those seven Earths that Morrison left for future writers.
    Was this something he said in an interview? Because the write up in the Guidebook seems to suggest the exact opposite...Plus with the amount of thought that has gone into the map seems to preclude just any old Earth being "created" and inserted.
    DRINK!

I honestly hope one is the young justice universe DC should not let that be wasted it has such a good fanbase. I hope one is the miller verse (unless as someone theorized that earth 31 is still the miller universe only in the past where it is pirate theme) i doubt it, but just in case i hope one of them can be that (don't let carre kelly and lara go to waste).

Long Live the Legion! Paul Newell's Avatar

Just to throw the cat amongst the pigeons.

How about:
    • Golden Age
    • Pre-Crisis
    • Post-Crisis
    • Post Zero Hour
    • Post-Infinite Crisis
    • Post-Final Crisis
    • Flashpoint
    DRINK!

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

Earth 14: Vibrating on such a frequency so as to be a unique two-in-one world. On the surface is an Earth much like our own, though heir to pains and failures exceeding even our own, and maintained in secret by the forces of The Hand. Just underneath however is the twin reality known to the Hand's pioneeringly perverse fictonauts as the "Paperverse", once home to the likes of The Status Quorum and Flex Mentallo, itself linked to other worlds by way of the enigmatic H-Dial. In the wake of the war against the Lost Operator however, it is a shell of what it once was, with only faded rumors of the fabled Legion of Legions watching overhead. Ultimately, both dimensions merge through the efforts of psychic Wallace Sage, leading into the future of Seaguy (said by Morrison to take place 50-70 years into the future of a world resembling our own).

Earth 24: A world where a revolutionary Superman has brought total freedom to the masses, but this has led to anarchic chaos.

Earth 25: Superman Red and Superman Blue.

Earth 27: A 'realistic' Earth not unlike Marvel's Ruins (Batman died his first night out when his grapple gun snapped, Green Lantern and Flash have no control over their powers, Themyscira was bombed to ashes within a few years of revealing itself), with a disturbed 'Superman' - possibly Overman - that acts as a parody (in that this unwitting self-parody can have such a treatment performed on it) of the Superman of Earth One.

Earth 28: An anime style Earth defended by a martial arts, chi-wielding warrior Wonder Woman, the spirit of vengeance titled the Bat-Man (seen in the DC Nation short 'Batman of Shanghai'), a young Clark Kent inheriting a Kryptonian space-watch allowing him to command the mighty Super-Mecha, a magical Green Lantern in the style of Sailor Moon, and an Astro Boy type robot gifted life and a connection to the Speed Force in a lightning storm becoming the super-swift Flash.

Earth 46: A swords and sorcery-ish Earth ruled by superhuman dynasties reluctantly entering its first industrial revolution, with more than a passing resemblance to Moore's Twilight of the Superheroes pitch.

Earth 49: A peaceful world guarded by the JLAngels, including Superangel (Zauriel), the Spectre, Lightray, Deadman, Doctor Fate, Dove, and Willoughby Kipling, the Heaven-Bearer.
    Buh-bye

Pre-Crisis DCU
    Earth-S
    Post-Crises DCU
    DCAU
    Young Justice
    Flashpoint
    Lois and Clark
    Batman '66
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    Earth-S
    DCAU
    Young Justice
    They're already there. Young Justice is heavily implied to be the past of Earth 16, Earth 12 is basically the DCAU, and the only notable difference between Earth-S and Earth 5 is that Mary Marvel wears white on the latter.
    Buh-bye

If we want to keep the seven unknowns consistent with their placement in the map, here's what you need to know about them:

The Seven Unknowns:
    14 - A "dual" Earth. Top order-Axis; opposite Bizarro World; outermost ring.
    24 - Pit-Chaos; opposite Red Son; inner-ring.
    25 - Pinnacle-Chaos; opposite Bat-pirate; inner-ring.
    27 - Pit-Order; opposite Mashup; second ring from center.
    28 - Pinnacle-Order; opposite Thrillkiller; second ring from center.
    46 - Pit-Order; opposite Genderswap; third ring from center.
    49 - Pinnacle-Order; opposite Vampires; third ring from center.

So with those rules in mind, I envision:

14 - Crud, I don't know. I have trouble conceiving of the opposite of Bizarro world, believe it or not. Plus, it's a "double" world and I'm not clear what that means.
    24 - Superman: War of the Worlds as I stated above. I'd modify it to have more Golden Age characters around as part of an underground resistance fighting the Martians.
    24 - Batman '66 and Wonder Woman '77. Maybe we could even throw in Christopher Reeve's Superman. Basically a wacky foil in opposition to serious Pirate Batman (WHICH SHOULD HAVE BEEN TDKR).
    27 - For lack of a better idea...JLA: Act of God. OK, terrible Elseworld, but hear me out. If Mashup is a world where half the heroes exist but they're remixed into double-identities, then I'd see its opposite as a world where all heroes still exist, but they have to remix into brand new identities. I'd expand on the concept of AoG and have all the powerless heroes retrained into new identities under Batman's training.
    28 - I have no idea what could be the opposite of a Howard Chaykin universe. A wacky 1960s past, a chaotic future...what's the opposite of that?
    46 - JLA: Created Equal, maybe mashed a little with Y: The Last Man. In opposition to a fun, light world where women are ascendant, this is a world where women rose through the disastrous death of all men. The lone survivor is Superman, whom the all-female JLA need to keep hidden while they search for the source of the man-killing plague...
    49 - A variant on Supergirl: Wings in opposition to Earth-43's vampires. Here, heroes are influenced by angels and Judeo-Christian mythology, and humanity is kept safe through the intervention of SuperAngel, the Spectre, Deadman, Zauriel, and the Phantom Stranger. The Batman of Holy Terror is here as well as a priest by day, interventionist against theocratic crimes by night.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dispenser Of Truth View Post
    Earth 14: Vibrating on such a frequency so as to be a unique two-in-one world. On the surface is an Earth much like our own, though heir to pains and failures exceeding even our own, and maintained in secret by the forces of The Hand. Just underneath however is the twin reality known to the Hand's pioneeringly perverse fictonauts as the "Paperverse", once home to the likes of The Status Quorum and Flex Mentallo, itself linked to other worlds by way of the enigmatic H-Dial. In the wake of the war against the Lost Operator however, it is a shell of what it once was, with only faded rumors of the fabled Legion of Legions watching overhead. Ultimately, both dimensions merge through the efforts of psychic Wallace Sage, leading into the future of Seaguy (said by Morrison to take place 50-70 years into the future of a world resembling our own).

Earth 24: A world where a revolutionary Superman has brought total freedom to the masses, but this has led to anarchic chaos.

Earth 25: Superman Red and Superman Blue.

Earth 27: A 'realistic' Earth not unlike Marvel's Ruins (Batman died his first night out when his grapple gun snapped, Green Lantern and Flash have no control over their powers, Themyscira was bombed to ashes within a few years of revealing itself), with a disturbed 'Superman' - possibly Overman - that acts as a parody (in that this unwitting self-parody can have such a treatment performed on it) of the Superman of Earth One.

Earth 28: An anime style Earth defended by a martial arts, chi-wielding warrior Wonder Woman, the spirit of vengeance titled the Bat-Man (seen in the DC Nation short 'Batman of Shanghai'), a young Clark Kent inheriting a Kryptonian space-watch allowing him to command the mighty Super-Mecha, a magical Green Lantern in the style of Sailor Moon, and an Astro Boy type robot gifted life and a connection to the Speed Force in a lightning storm becoming the super-swift Flash.

Earth 46: A swords and sorcery-ish Earth ruled by superhuman dynasties reluctantly entering its first industrial revolution, with more than a passing resemblance to Moore's Twilight of the Superheroes pitch.

Earth 49: A peaceful world guarded by the JLAngels, including Superangel (Zauriel), the Spectre, Lightray, Deadman, Doctor Fate, Dove, and Willoughby Kipling, the Heaven-Bearer.
    These ideas are great!
    Last edited by Bruce Wayne; 01-28-2015 at 09:53 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Black Angel View Post
    I honestly hope one is the young justice universe DC should not let that be wasted it has such a good fanbase.
    All 7,000 of them?

Earth with all kryptonians, earth with all amazons, earth with all manbats, earth with all speedsters, earth with all martians, earth with all lanterns, earth with all atlanteans.