Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Best DC books/story arcs on Young characters

I am traditionally not a fan of the younger characters (I prefer their mentors). But, over the years, shows like Young Justice have changed my mind. Anyways, recently I was revisiting YJ....loved it, again.

So, I was thinking of reading DC books on these characters. (not the particular team, as I know that iteration is limited to that particular universe...and the Young Justice book based on that universe).

What are your fav (or best recommended) DC books/story arcs on young characters? (Doesn't have to be those characters in particular - just younger DC characters).

*Not from New 52 - I have already read (or currently read) a few of those books - TT, Red Hood etc.
    DC Extended Universe Thread (DCEU)

That's how it starts. The fever. The rage. The feeling of powerlessness. That turns good men....Cruel - Alfred.

This may be the only thing that I do that matters - Bruce.

Stay down, if I wanted it, you would be dead already - Clark.

forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

The New Teen Titans of course! Dc is currently reprinting the material and vol 2 is almost out if I'm not mistaken. It's some great material. Peter David's Young Justice is also great but not properly collected at all.
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

Spectacular Member

A couple of favorites about young characters for me would be Jack Kirby's The Forever People and Gail Simone and Freddy Williams II The Movement (Though that is New 52)
    I'm currently Re-Reading Stranger's in Paradise. Please join me.

Quote Originally Posted by victorxd1999 View Post
    The New Teen Titans of course! Dc is currently reprinting the material and vol 2 is almost out if I'm not mistaken. It's some great material. Peter David's Young Justice is also great but not properly collected at all.
    Will check it out; thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by LostinFandom View Post
    A couple of favorites about young characters for me would be Jack Kirby's The Forever People and Gail Simone and Freddy Williams II The Movement (Though that is New 52)
    I have heard good things about movement; haven't read it yet. Will check it Thank you!

How's Forever people?

I did check the new 52 book on the team - Infinity Man and Forever people - I liked the first issue, but couldn't get into it later on.

That's how it starts. The fever. The rage. The feeling of powerlessness. That turns good men....Cruel - Alfred.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jeevanjacobjohn View Post
    I have heard good things about movement; haven't read it yet. Will check it Thank you!

How's Forever people?

I did check the new 52 book on the team - Infinity Man and Forever people - I liked the first issue, but couldn't get into it later on.
    I love the hippy original team, een though it's completely dated with gender and race representation. The New 52 one is a disappointment. Too much of an homage, not enough of it's own hooks. It does improve on the gender and race representation, but i dropped it with the Green Lantern crossover.
    I'm currently Re-Reading Stranger's in Paradise. Please join me.

The young justice comic with Peter David back in the day was pretty good. Its a bit different than the show but its still pretty awesome.

Blue Beetle by Giffen and Rogers. A fun book with a lot of heart.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

if you are interested in solo series you might also enjoy digging up and reading the Blue Beetle series from 2006 starring Jamie Reyes. Very strong writing and good art.

Also, there was a Wonder Girl mini series from a few years back that was quite good also the Red Robin series is a good place to start. The Stephanie Brown Batgirl series is also a favorite or mine.

Most of those can be found in trades except the Batgirl series...which is out of print and very expensive. You might have better luck locating the individual issues with it if you so choose.

Dixon's run on Robin
    Kessel and Grummett's Superboy
    YJ is good, but it's a humor book, so you need to go in expecting that

Cassie Cain's Batgirl man!!!! Cass rocks!
    - We were the BEST, Richard. No matter what anyone thinks. - Damian Wayne.

Green Lantern Spanish Fan Site HERE

Story arc for a young character?

Geoff Johns' recent origin story arc for young Billy Batson. And family.

(Although not for purist who don't want to have the character grow, but just delivered as is.)

If you enjoy an actual character arc though, making mistakes, even empathizing with the villain (and a great villain it is), learning who and what he can be, in a journey to "hero". Ultimately surprising even himself, it's one of the best!

And he inadvertently brings a bunch of other great young characters with him!
    Last edited by Güicho; 01-26-2015 at 05:28 PM.

Blue Beetle (06) with Jaime. It became one of the best things DC had going for it at the time, with lots of cool ideas, fun characters, and a strong legacy aspect. It was great to see a teenaged character with a ton of raw power realize that brute strength isnt worth much without a strong mind behind it. Started slow as I recall, improved dramatically until the final showdown with The Reach, and then sort of lost its way, until DC cancelled it.

Young Justice, by Peter David. Great book. Lots of humor, good characters, and David is responsible (as far as I know) for the character development that made Wonder Girl worth reading about. Im pretty biased on that one though, back in the day I started a group dedicated to getting Freakazoid into the book (all for laughs, we were mostly just making fun of HEAT, who campaigned for Hal Jordan's return) and the artist drew our group (and myself) into panels and backgrounds. If you do read it, keep an eye out for FLIP.

Impulse was a humorous book in the same line as Young Justice, and also one of Humberto Ramos' first gigs.

The Ray, by....Priest, I think? That was an under-rated gem from the 90's. I also recommend Damage, though after the first year it loses steam. But at the time, the mystery of where Damage came from was all the rage. These books are pretty dated, and I have no idea how well they hold up though.

Im not sure if you count Milestone among DC properties, but Icon and Rocket is as amazing as it is hard to track down. Dont let the cover fool you; Icon is the big major hero, but its really Rocket's story. I'm still trying to finish off the collection, and it holds up pretty damned well.

If you count him as a "young" hero, Dixon's Nightwing was really great. At least for the first few years.

Geoff Johns Teen Titans was pretty solid, if you dont mind him completely and utterly changing characters around to suit his tastes. Many people seem to consider it the last truly good Titans run we've seen, and I tend to agree.

Again, not a teen character but still fairly young (early 20's) All-New Atom by Simone and Morrison.

Not DC, but I rep it every chance I get; Invincible. If you give it until issue 9, you will become a fan for life. Simply put, the most amazing superhero comic there is, better than anything DC or Marvel or Dark Horse can throw at you.

EDIT: forgot about Cass Cain's Batgirl. That's definitely worth reading, regardless of age.
    Last edited by Ascended; 01-26-2015 at 05:25 PM.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by LostinFandom View Post
    I love the hippy original team, een though it's completely dated with gender and race representation. The New 52 one is a disappointment. Too much of an homage, not enough of it's own hooks. It does improve on the gender and race representation, but i dropped it with the Green Lantern crossover.
    Ah, ok

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    The young justice comic with Peter David back in the day was pretty good. Its a bit different than the show but its still pretty awesome.
    Will check it out for sure!

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Blue Beetle by Giffen and Rogers. A fun book with a lot of heart.
    Quote Originally Posted by OBrianTallent View Post
    if you are interested in solo series you might also enjoy digging up and reading the Blue Beetle series from 2006 starring Jamie Reyes. Very strong writing and good art.

Also, there was a Wonder Girl mini series from a few years back that was quite good also the Red Robin series is a good place to start. The Stephanie Brown Batgirl series is also a favorite or mine.

Most of those can be found in trades except the Batgirl series...which is out of print and very expensive. You might have better luck locating the individual issues with it if you so choose.
    BB - for sure.

I think I have read a bit of both Red Robin and Stephanie Brown Batgirl - when I was reading on DC's main events (and big stories). Will check for it, anyways.

Thank you all for the suggestions!

Quote Originally Posted by Jadeb View Post
    Dixon's run on Robin
    Kessel and Grummett's Superboy
    YJ is good, but it's a humor book, so you need to go in expecting that
    Haven't read a humor oriented book in a while...unfortunately we don't have a whole lot of those in new 52.

Quote Originally Posted by poroto678 View Post
    Cassie Cain's Batgirl man!!!! Cass rocks!
    Will check!

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    Story arc for a young character?

Geoff Johns' recent origin story arc for young Billy Batson. And family.

(Although not for purist who don't want to have the character grow, but just delivered as is.)

If you enjoy an actual character arc though, making mistakes, even empathizing with the villain (and a great villain it is), learning who and what he can be, in a journey to "hero". Ultimately surprising even himself, it's one of the best!

And he inadvertently brings a bunch of other great young characters with him!
    I have already read it twice...Love Johns' version. I know lot of people prefer the older version...but I am open to different versions of each character - let them grow, change..even in ways that would make us (angry/sad).

After all, change is what gave us Gaiman's sandman or Moore's Swamp Thing

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Blue Beetle (06) with Jaime. It became one of the best things DC had going for it at the time, with lots of cool ideas, fun characters, and a strong legacy aspect. It was great to see a teenaged character with a ton of raw power realize that brute strength isnt worth much without a strong mind behind it. Started slow as I recall, improved dramatically until the final showdown with The Reach, and then sort of lost its way, until DC cancelled it.

Young Justice, by Peter David. Great book. Lots of humor, good characters, and David is responsible (as far as I know) for the character development that made Wonder Girl worth reading about. Im pretty biased on that one though, back in the day I started a group dedicated to getting Freakazoid into the book (all for laughs, we were mostly just making fun of HEAT, who campaigned for Hal Jordan's return) and the artist drew our group (and myself) into panels and backgrounds. If you do read it, keep an eye out for FLIP.

Impulse was a humorous book in the same line as Young Justice, and also one of Humberto Ramos' first gigs.

The Ray, by....Priest, I think? That was an under-rated gem from the 90's. I also recommend Damage, though after the first year it loses steam. But at the time, the mystery of where Damage came from was all the rage. These books are pretty dated, and I have no idea how well they hold up though.

Im not sure if you count Milestone among DC properties, but Icon and Rocket is as amazing as it is hard to track down. Dont let the cover fool you; Icon is the big major hero, but its really Rocket's story. I'm still trying to finish off the collection, and it holds up pretty damned well.

If you count him as a "young" hero, Dixon's Nightwing was really great. At least for the first few years.

Geoff Johns Teen Titans was pretty solid, if you dont mind him completely and utterly changing characters around to suit his tastes. Many people seem to consider it the last truly good Titans run we've seen, and I tend to agree.

Again, not a teen character but still fairly young (early 20's) All-New Atom by Simone and Morrison.

Not DC, but I rep it every chance I get; Invincible. If you give it until issue 9, you will become a fan for life. Simply put, the most amazing superhero comic there is, better than anything DC or Marvel or Dark Horse can throw at you.

EDIT: forgot about Cass Cain's Batgirl. That's definitely worth reading, regardless of age.
    BB and YJ are definitely on my list - many of you guys are suggesting those

Hmm, Ray. I will check it out...try if I can get one issue and see if I like it (although getting them, like you mentioned, might be hard).

Will check those. Static is one of my fav characters - I did love Icon and Rocket in YJ. So, perhaps I might enjoy the book

Will check those too.

I do read a few image titles; Invincible is something people have recommended (I stayed away because it was a long running book. Other image titles were just easier to get/read - only a few issues. Although that may not matter anymore...I have been reading a lot of books with long running issues). I will keep it on my list.

Thank you for the wonderful suggestions!
    Last edited by Triple J; 01-26-2015 at 05:56 PM.