13. You may not vote on this poll
  • AMALGAM COMICS

6 46.15%
  • JUST IMAGINE STAN LEE'S DC COMICS

3 23.08%
  • TANGENT COMICS

4 30.77%
    BANNED

Default BEST? Amalgam, Just Imagine Stan Lee's Dc, Tangent?

what was the best wave of alternative universe series? between

AMALGAM COMICS

JUST IMAGINE STAN LEE'S DC UNIVERSE

TANGENT COMICS

BB

Spectacular Member ThiefHookUps's Avatar

The Amalgam Magneto and the Magnetic Men issue inspired some of my childhood superhero creations. And in rereading it I think it's still fun. Not sure I liked much else but that's still one issue up on the others. The Just Imagine issues I read felt stale and were a little boring, though there was some decent Bachalo art in the Catwoman one if I'm remembering correctly. Tangent I read a couple of and was quickly disintered, though I remember liking some of the character designs. So, due to the enjoyment of a single issue, Amalgam wins! Plus at least it was a kind of fun seeing how they'd merge creations from the Big Two. And this is more time spent writing about these books than I ever thought I'd do, haha.

Amazing Member

i'm a big fan of the Stan Lee creations. Shame we never got a Martian Manhunter version. Interesting takes, cool character designs, and even it's own Crisis event. it's the winner for me.
    the Amalgam ones were very hit or miss. some were great but there was enough crap to balance it out somewhere in the middle.
    the Tangent universe never really had any significance to me.

I also liked the versions of Stan. It could be better, I can concede that, but Stan still got juice enough to in one chapter of the character put some interesting seed than can be used by other writers.
    For example, his version of Superman, is a stranded cop from a advanced civilization. Here he have superpowers, is the strongest guy of the world, but still have a huge inferiority complex inside him. And that I found it an interesting twist.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

BANNED

Tangent was the most interesting and cohesive.

Amalgam was fun.

I can't read anything Stan Lee writes due to his Melodrama Overload Disorder.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Brady View Post

I can't read anything Stan Lee writes due to his Melodrama Overload Disorder.
    but isn't that the main writing style for most comic books nowadays?

Tangent was the best, Amalgam was the most fun, and Just Imagine was tough to categorize.

Quote Originally Posted by d.w washburn View Post
    Not even close. Stan's on another level.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by d.w washburn View Post
    Not in the comics I read.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Batson View Post
    haha i'm with ya here, man.
    - We were the BEST, Richard. No matter what anyone thinks. - Damian Wayne.

Green Lantern Spanish Fan Site HERE

Tangent easily for me.

It does it's own thing with the characters while still maintaining a flair of individuality and shades of grey that very much resonate with the DC style. It's very true to a lot of the DC tropes whether it's legacy or presenting different ideals through a prism while still remaining true to a lot of core elements. Superman for example still has a lot in common with Siegel and Shuster's while completely remixing the fundamentals on a more superficial level.

Stan Lee's universe was too much a Marvelization of the brand for my tastes. I don't really like marvelized writing all that much with DC heroes. It's probably a key reason I always liked pre-crisis Superman despite growing up in the era where post-crisis Superman was the guy on the newsstands every week back in the late 80's and early 90's.
    Last edited by Broddie; 01-29-2015 at 08:10 PM.