Page 35 of 86 FirstFirst ... 253132333435363738394585 ... LastLast

Thread: X-Men '92

Ok, well I bit the bullet and figured this one time I would get the digital version.

Overall, I really enjoyed seeing this team again and could hear each one of their distinct TAS voices in my head while reading. It's something I will definitely be buying in print form when it comes out. But when the print edition comes out, will it only include this one issue or will it include the digital #2 release as well? Like, will the print editions almost be mini trade paperbacks collecting more than one issue of the digital releases? I'd like to see the print editions eventually catch up to the digital releases now.

Minor nitpicks:
    Wolverine's belt doesn't have the "X" emblem on it.
    Sabretooth wasn't in the correct uniform he wore in the 90's

I am not sure how I feel about the whole SECRET WARS tie in. Like someone else said, I wish it was its own little universe, away from SW. Even in the main SW books, I find it absolutely absurd that people refer to "Dr. Doom" as God. Would he at very least not have the smarts to know that having the name "Doom" would perhaps make people a bit afraid to trust you? It'd be like making a guy like "Mr. Sinister" as the pope. Or having a guy like "Apocalypse" be the head of "People For Peace". I find that (and the whole grand appearance of "Baron Kelly") to be even more distracting than the 90's cheese (which again, I sincerely hope they tone down on as I want this version of the team to be taken seriously). Furthermore, while it's great to see them in their 90s uniforms again, I do hope there will be times when it is more practical for them to be in normal clothes (you know, like when they are out in public at a mall).

Finally, the "cliffhanger" went over my head because I have no clue who "she" is. Apparently, someone who came into the comics long after I had given up on them.

Nonetheless, this was the first X-Men comic since the deceiving first 5 issues of "X-Men Forever" that I will be proud to pluck my money down for, so while I hope it does improve with the lessening of cheese and setting up of a good, fun story, I would still take this ANY day over the various "X-Men" that have been out over the past decade now.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ariwl1 View Post
    This was very 90's, for both the portrayal of the X-Men and story in general. Storm's lines were groaners...every one of them. :P Still, I think it's worth $2 for you to check out and decide if you like it or not. The last twist was a welcome surprise.
    Can you post some Storm speeches please.

Two things I noticed.

One- where those Dire Waiths pulling Baron Kelly's sky chariot? I'm racking my brain to remember where I've seen those before.

Two- does anyone else see a bit of John Byrne influence in the artwork? For some reason the big curly hear on the ladies and the way the action is presented is very Byrney to me. Not that's a bad thing.

But yeah. This issue was all it was ment to be. Fun. I liked it.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBedlam View Post
    Two things I noticed.

One- where those Dire Waiths pulling Baron Kelly's sky chariot? I'm racking my brain to remember where I've seen those before.
    I thought they were "Warwolves"? To me thats what they looked like. They were in the episode called "Longshot" of TAS when Spiral and Gog were chasing Longshot and Jubilee.

Yeah. Warwolves are from Mojoworld and were first seen back in Excalibur and the old Longshot stories.
    "Dear World: the nation of mutantkind is watching you. Do not #$%& with us." -Cable-

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by FlawedCoil82 View Post
    I thought they were "Warwolves"?

Sorry, but the way "Warwolf" sounds when you say it out loud makes me think of this movie.

"Paul! You is a warwuilf!"

BANNED

Wow, this was a crushing disappointment. Awful corny dialogue. May have worked in the show but does not translate to comic at all.
    And we get that the guy who writes this hates Cyclops but no need to beat us over the head with it.
    When Wolverine rescued him, it was really cringe to read Cyclops call him reckless and just MOAN the entire comic.

Quote Originally Posted by RLAAMJR. View Post
    Can you post some Storm speeches please.
    Storm has about 4 lines and they consist of a mix of "GODDESS!!!!!" "child..." (to jubilee) and "I agree Cyclops!!"
    Truly awful.

Quote Originally Posted by Flight View Post
    When Wolverine rescued him, it was really cringe to read Cyclops call him reckless and just MOAN the entire comic.
    Funny thing is that it's Jean who throwed Wolverine at the Sentinel...

Lol what a bad character to choose for a cliffhanger

Twitter: @theprattlp donpricetag's Avatar

So this isn't the twist of the 92' comic era and TAS... But a comic book, based on a show, that was based on a comic book? Who greenlighted this idea? @#%$ my life.
    Guild Member
    Realistically speaking about fictional matters. | Nutcases need not respond. | Stay outta my DMs. | Why does the "House of Ideas" keep duplicating characters?! | If an idea or belief cannot stand up to criticism it's probably... bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Flight View Post
    Wow, this was a crushing disappointment. Awful corny dialogue. May have worked in the show but does not translate to comic at all.
    And we get that the guy who writes this hates Cyclops but no need to beat us over the head with it.
    I forgot he didn't like Cyke, explains the really stiff dialogue with the character. I guess the only characters really liked by the writer is Jubilee, Beast, Xavier and Rogue. The only characters not completely hammed up or stiff.

Quote Originally Posted by donpricetag View Post
    So this isn't the twist of the 92' comic era and TAS... But a comic book, based on a show, that was based on a comic book? Who greenlighted this idea? @#%$ my life.
    Pretty much. It will be cute for a short while.
    "My superpower? I'm irresistible to women." Gambit- ANXF #9
    Gambit's kittens: Oliver, Lucifer and Figaro: Oliver and Company.

BANNED

Finally, the "cliffhanger" went over my head because I have no clue who "she" is. Apparently, someone who came into the comics long after I had given up on them.
    She's Xavier's long forgotten evil twin sister. You haven't missed out on anything.

Quote Originally Posted by DDD View Post
    She's Xavier's long forgotten evil twin sister. You haven't missed out on anything.
    Yea, I read up on her last night. Sounded pretty confusing. Basically an opposite of Xavier who had to create her own body.

As others have said, the camp is what worries me most (now that I at least know the costumes are safe). I have never liked "so bad it's good" type humor and I feel like that is the biggest joy Chris Sims gets from the 90's X-Men. In interviews, he can barely stop himself from laughing at Storm giving her speeches, Cyclops being a total boyscout and Gambit being a smug creeper. The camp is what NEEDS to be removed from this team for them to be taken serious. I want the team to be in the 90's look but be badasses. I know for a fact that it can be done! But you have to have writers who love the 90's team and takes them seriously and loves everything about them. I am hopeful the puns and camp will slow down and more of the modern, serious type of story telling can be utilized with these 90s versions and they will concentrate much less on all the "Hey lets throw this terrible reference in! Remember how ridiculous it was when it was in the toon?!? Lets see how many fans will catch it. Hahaha! It was so dumb!" moments.

I have never liked "so bad it's good" type humor and I feel like that is the biggest joy Chris Sims gets from the 90's X-Men. In interviews, he can barely stop himself from laughing at Storm giving her speeches, Cyclops being a total boyscout and Gambit being a smug creeper. The camp is what NEEDS to be removed from this team for them to be taken serious. I want the team to be in the 90's look but be badasses. I know for a fact that it can be done!
    Agreed. And if respect can be given to the other characters then why not all of them. I had no problem with almost all of them but the ones you've mention. If you love the 90's/Show and say you mean it then show it.
    "My superpower? I'm irresistible to women." Gambit- ANXF #9
    Gambit's kittens: Oliver, Lucifer and Figaro: Oliver and Company.

Look, I'm totally fine with this issue, but even I say the Remy fans have the most to reason to complain here. He's a bit too camp even for TAS' first season.

But then, we'll see what happens in the next issues if it focuses on Remy and Rogue.