Page 36 of 86 FirstFirst ... 2632333435363738394046 ... LastLast

Thread: X-Men '92

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Flight View Post
    Wow, this was a crushing disappointment. Awful corny dialogue. May have worked in the show but does not translate to comic at all.
    And we get that the guy who writes this hates Cyclops but no need to beat us over the head with it.
    When Wolverine rescued him, it was really cringe to read Cyclops call him reckless and just MOAN the entire comic.
    Chris probably should have that clip from the show of Logan punching Scott in the gut as his avatar if he ever comes on these forums

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by FlawedCoil82 View Post
    Yea, I read up on her last night. Sounded pretty confusing. Basically an opposite of Xavier who had to create her own body.

As others have said, the camp is what worries me most (now that I at least know the costumes are safe). I have never liked "so bad it's good" type humor and I feel like that is the biggest joy Chris Sims gets from the 90's X-Men. In interviews, he can barely stop himself from laughing at Storm giving her speeches, Cyclops being a total boyscout and Gambit being a smug creeper. The camp is what NEEDS to be removed from this team for them to be taken serious. I want the team to be in the 90's look but be badasses. I know for a fact that it can be done! But you have to have writers who love the 90's team and takes them seriously and loves everything about them. I am hopeful the puns and camp will slow down and more of the modern, serious type of story telling can be utilized with these 90s versions and they will concentrate much less on all the "Hey lets throw this terrible reference in! Remember how ridiculous it was when it was in the toon?!? Lets see how many fans will catch it. Hahaha! It was so dumb!" moments.
    I 100% agree with you.
    The parody is too in your face here. It was fun and endearing on the show because it was unintentional. The whole thing just came across like it was making fun of the X-Men.

I would normally not be so bothered but I was REALLY looking forward to this and we don't really have anything else at the moment except Bendis and that's only good for the art occasionally.

Twitter: @theprattlp donpricetag's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Beezzi View Post
    Look, I'm totally fine with this issue, but even I say the Remy fans have the most to reason to complain here. He's a bit too camp even for TAS' first season.

But then, we'll see what happens in the next issues if it focuses on Remy and Rogue.
    And that bothers me even more. I'm a Romy fan, but even in the show there was no real Romy moments outside of the one kiss, then the hand kiss, and the two times he saved her (from Apocalypse and then Cody), then there was the Astroid M thing... OK there was a fair amount of Romy, but this Sims guys is telling the story from he-he-ha-ha standpoint. Of all the delicious melodrama that was in the show there's was at least entertaining. I expect him to ham it up and make a mockery of it.
    Guild Member
    Realistically speaking about fictional matters. | Nutcases need not respond. | Stay outta my DMs. | Why does the "House of Ideas" keep duplicating characters?! | If an idea or belief cannot stand up to criticism it's probably... bad.

Rogue has already called Gambit a creep in the book. And I'm told that is suppose to be some term of endearment. Its some form of ... tsundere. You know what ... just no. That is not what I remembered from the show, Rogue was not like that toward Gambit.
    Last edited by Neko; 05-29-2015 at 09:34 AM. Reason: changed verbiage and shortened
    "My superpower? I'm irresistible to women." Gambit- ANXF #9
    Gambit's kittens: Oliver, Lucifer and Figaro: Oliver and Company.

Yea, I know Rogue would call Gambit "Swamp rat" a few times, but it was always in a flirtatious way.

But honestly, while it wasn't quite what we all hoped for, I do think fans should give "X-Men '92" at least a few more issues before "abandoning ship" to see if corrections can be made and if the book will start to take itself more seriously. It is still my most anticipated Marvel book in over a decade and I do not foresee that status changing unless they pull an "X-Men Forever" stunt and REALLY start screwing the book up.

Quote Originally Posted by Neko View Post
    Rogue has already called Gambit a creep in the book. And I'm told that is suppose to be some term of endearment. Its some form of ... tsundere. You know what ... just no. That is not what I remembered from the show, Rogue was not like that toward Gambit.
    Really? Cause Rogue treated Gambit like this is the show all the time. she would yell at him in cliche and over the top southern drawl and he would be overly flirtatious. It was thier thing.
    "Dear World: the nation of mutantkind is watching you. Do not #$%& with us." -Cable-

Quote Originally Posted by Drakeon View Post
    Really? Cause Rogue treated Gambit like this is the show all the time. she would yell at him in cliche and over the top southern drawl and he would be overly flirtatious. It was thier thing.
    She never called him a creep in the TV show. That was my point, and I don't find that word a term of endearment. Yes, she was terse with him in the show and called him swamp rat but swamp rat is not the same as creep. IMO

Edit:
    I don't have a problem with Rogue having an attitude with Gambit. Or being feisty. Its the verbiage used to convey it - that is the problem. I hope that explains it better.
    Last edited by Neko; 05-29-2015 at 05:37 PM. Reason: punctuation and whatever.
    "My superpower? I'm irresistible to women." Gambit- ANXF #9
    Gambit's kittens: Oliver, Lucifer and Figaro: Oliver and Company.

Unfortunately, I think I'm gonna have to pass on the book. I'll check issue three out for X-force, but Gambit was main initial attraction to it. And that doesn't sound too promising.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Drakeon View Post

As a person whose favorite X-Men pairing is Cyclops/Jean Grey, I actually enjoyed the Gambit/Rogue interaction the most in the cartoon. Gambit and Rogue really grew on me.

I have a little Cajun with me. I know about 19 17th Century Acadian (French in Eastern Canadian Maritime provinces) family lines that I descend on my Louisianian African American father's side.
    I am convinced that I am related to all Cajuns.

I cracked up when Wolverine bumped into Gambit in the first episode and said "Out of my way, Gumbo."
    He was rubbing Gambit the wrong way too and not just Cyclops.

Gumbo is actually very delicious!

BANNED

Well, I'll give this a few more issues. I reread it again, I like the character interaction. Jubilee could be more annoying. Storm could have been more over the top. I like that Scott and Wolverine hate each other, sorry. Those 2 should never get along.

This book is going be a guilty pleasure...

Quote Originally Posted by Neko View Post
    She never called him a creep in the TV show. That was my point, and I don't find that word a term of endearment. Yes, she was terse with him in the show and called him swamp rat but swamp rat is not the same as creep. IMO

Edit:
    I don't have a problem with Rogue having an attitude with Gambit. Or being feisty. Its the verbiage used to convey it - that is the problem. I hope that explains it better.
    I honestly dont see the big deal. I hear people creep all the time. Its being used lightheartedly. Its not like shes calling him a pervert or something.
    "Dear World: the nation of mutantkind is watching you. Do not #$%& with us." -Cable-

Quote Originally Posted by FlawedCoil82 View Post
    Yea, I know Rogue would call Gambit "Swamp rat" a few times, but it was always in a flirtatious way.

But honestly, while it wasn't quite what we all hoped for, I do think fans should give "X-Men '92" at least a few more issues before "abandoning ship" to see if corrections can be made and if the book will start to take itself more seriously. It is still my most anticipated Marvel book in over a decade and I do not foresee that status changing unless they pull an "X-Men Forever" stunt and REALLY start screwing the book up.
    I was expecting a lot out of this book BT after reading it was disappointed. The cartoon was wat really made me interested in the x-men and gambit and issue #2 was my most anticipated issue as it features gambit n rogue together bt after reading some of the things Chris sims thinks that they are the worst couple in comicbooks. He doesn't like both of them. So I don't think he can do justice to the characters. Was interested in this book for Remy and if he isn't treated well no use of sticking to this book.Here is wat Chris sims thinks about rogue and gambit.http://comicsalliance.com/ask-chris-...les-in-comics/
    Last edited by belay; 05-30-2015 at 12:30 AM.

I never had expectations going in that this would be anything but a fun romp, tinged with nostalgia. I understand why some might be bummed, but I can separate these incarnations from what I consider the main incarnation of the X-men. Cyclops is my favorite character, but I had no issue with his characterization here, even if it wasn't the best.

I did dislike the bitter Logan/Scott rivalry, though. I know that's a popular thing, but it just annoys me hahah

Quote Originally Posted by belay View Post
    I was expecting a lot out of this book BT after reading it was disappointed. The cartoon was wat really made me interested in the x-men and gambit and issue #2 was my most anticipated issue as it features gambit n rogue together bt after reading some of the things Chris sims thinks that they are the worst couple in comicbooks. He doesn't like both of them. So I don't think he can do justice to the characters. Was interested in this book for Remy and if he isn't treated well no use of sticking to this book.Here is wat Chris sims thinks about rogue and gambit.http://comicsalliance.com/ask-chris-...les-in-comics/
    So Simms hates Rogue, eh? Rogue fans cannot catch a break.