Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Quote Originally Posted by Cmbmool View Post
    What's wrong with Luke Cage ?

I mean Luke Cage was a part of the Defenders ?
    Classic, as in Silver Surfer (Fox), Valkyrie (Marvel Studios), Sub-Mariner (Universal and Marvel Studios), Hulk (Marvel Studios), Hellcat (Marvel Studios), Nighthawk (Take a chance and say, Marvel Studios), Doctor Strange (Marvel Studios) I believe.

But, ol' Luke? A CLASS Defender, though I only remember him being part of Heroes for Hire, Thunderbolts, and, of course, Avengers.

Quote Originally Posted by responsarbre View Post
    I also was thinking Carol Danvers for a second. I wouldn't be surprised to see Hellcat fill in the same part either Carol or Jessica Drew did in Alias, since they could play her as a succesful hero/celebrity or a private eye just as easily. This is cool news.

I wouldn't mind seeing some melanin in the next Netflix castings ... if they're trying to make these the New York shows, they've gotta realize New York isn't this white.
    Rosario Dawson and Mike Colter would like a word with you.

To be fair, Matt's white, Jessica's white - I believe - and Danny hasn't been cast yet.

More diversity than you might believe, just in Daredevil alone.

And, not done casting AKA Jessica Jones, or Luke Cage, or started on Iron Fist, and Defenders, outside Luke, Matt and Jessica.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by gwangung View Post
    Oh, I can. Clarifications means money has to change hands. I can see a company trying to be cheap and only use characters they know they have rights for, in black and white. I mean, that's not necessarily a smart thing to do, but we all know Hollywood isn't necessarily that smart.

I was going to say that you could turn it around, but actually, I can see Sony trying to sue Marvel for dilution of trademark if they tried to use Jessica Drew, even if Marvel had clear rights to the character.

Hm. I've argued myself into the position that you're probably right, but it's not a clear indication either way, given how sue-happy studio lawyers are.
    Yeah but don't forget that Sony and Marvel were in negotiations fairly recently to try and get Spider-man in a Marvel movie. If Drew was a point of contention at all, it would have come up then, and given the Sony hacks, people would have heard about it. If Marvel was in the way of Sony using Spider-woman, that negotiation would have been all the leverage Sony needed to get them out of the way of a potential Spider-woman movie. I do agree its possible that Marvel has the rights to Drew but hasn't used her because Sony might sue for dilution of brand - but I find that unlikely because of how much that would screw things up for Sony in any future negotiations. Now, a case could probably be made that they could get in the way of Marvel giving Drew her own standalone movie, because a competing Spider-woman movie could feasibly be brand competition for future Spider-man movies....but the simple truth is Marvel has so many potential solo hero franchises to launch before they ever needed to get to Drew that there's just little likelihood of that.

My best guess is Marvel has Drew but simply hasn't found the right place to use her yet, and when they do it'll be in an ensemble of some kind. And as for why they went with Hellcat instead of Drew for Jessica's friend, there's a lot of possible reasons. Drew's backstory is VERY connected to Hydra so its possible they'd rather save her to use in AoS at some point rather than one of their Netflix shows, Hellcat's look is more in keeping with the street level heroes of the Netflix shows where Drew's look feels more suited to the movies, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by FlashingSabre View Post
    Plus the race changed Ben Urich and, you know, LUKE CAGE SHOW!!
    Race changed? I wouldn't add that in as diversity, at all, at all.

Who's playing Ben Urich that his race is changed? And, is that race, as in nationality, or race, as in skin colour?

Ben's still human, human race. Nationality, if American, would say race, but isn't.

And, I don't view skin colours as races, I view species that way, like human, robot, animal, insect, etc, but, there you go.

Maybe skin colour change, then? I don't know, I'm not sure his casting was as high profile as Kingpin, Daredevil, Foggy, Karen etc.

And, I most certainly hope you aren't directing that at specific people, Kalen, like me. Whether or not I care if she's red haired, nothing to do with race/skin colour, on Jimmy Olsen, Iris West, or Patsy Walker.

Just to do with the usual look being maintained.

I like this choice. Both the character Patsy Walker and the actor. Perfect as Jessicas' pal and a future Defender. Hope she dyes the hair red. I'm psyched for DD, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage (I still think of him as Power Man....not that kid. The kid should change it not him) and Iron Fist. Go Defenders!

Go Hellcat!

trente-et-un/treize responsarbre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Knight View Post
    Rosario Dawson and Mike Colter would like a word with you.

To be fair, Matt's white, Jessica's white - I believe - and Danny hasn't been cast yet.

More diversity than you might believe, just in Daredevil alone.

And, not done casting AKA Jessica Jones, or Luke Cage, or started on Iron Fist, and Defenders, outside Luke, Matt and Jessica.
    Those are great castings. And Vondie Curtis-Hall is a spot-on Ben Urich, too.

I'm just saying any 'realistic' portrayal of the NY streets is going to have a LOT more than just three black people out of these huge casts. I am definitely eagerly awaiting the upcoming castings to see who they put up as our street heroes. Hopefully they break out Misty Knight and Colleen Wing for the Luke Cage/Iron Fist shows!

I'm just saying any 'realistic' portrayal of the NY streets is going to have a LOT more than just three black people out of these huge casts. I am definitely eagerly awaiting the upcoming castings to see who they put up as our street heroes. Hopefully they break out Misty Knight and Colleen Wing for the Luke Cage/Iron Fist shows!

I love both of them. Their origins and their latest forms too. They seem a must for any show dealing with both Iron Fist or Power Man. Interesting, dangerous and sexy. Martial arts, style and samurai swords included. Don't forget the bionic arm. I wouldn't mind a Harlem Gem Theater story line for Lukes' home base. And loft for Daniel ( Clinton? Chelsea?) plus mid-town, separate Rand Corporation Tower. Who else would add a nice super power to Jessica,Luke,Patsy,Daniel,Matt,Misty and Colleen? They need someone who shoots rays from their hands and or eyes, maybe as a different power. Or a telepath or telekinetic. Something flashy or a power they don't already have. Flying? Will Jessica fly?
    Last edited by Custodes; 01-29-2015 at 10:30 PM.

Justified Ancient of MuMu wonderlad's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Knight View Post
    Classic, as in Silver Surfer (Fox), Valkyrie (Marvel Studios), Sub-Mariner (Universal and Marvel Studios), Hulk (Marvel Studios), Hellcat (Marvel Studios), Nighthawk (Take a chance and say, Marvel Studios), Doctor Strange (Marvel Studios) I believe.

But, ol' Luke? A CLASS Defender, though I only remember him being part of Heroes for Hire, Thunderbolts, and, of course, Avengers.
    Yeah Cage was briefly a Defender for two or three arcs - but Patsy was a Defender almost non-stop for about 80 issues and again with the Busiek & Larsen volume.

Astonishing Member chamber-music's Avatar

The Netflix Defenders are going to be more street level heroes taking on supervillains involved in organised crime so characters like Silver Surfer, Hulk and Doctor Strange aren't going to fit this version of the team.

Amazing Member

Nobody is asking the obvious question... why did they feel that they had to change her name?

"Trish" Walker is different than Patsy Walker.

I thought marvel had jessica jones and sony would have julia carpenter

What's the story with Misty Knight, or Colleen Wing? I kind of know MK, a black woman, she is, a superhero, in white, I think.

Not sure about them, exacty.

Indeed, top picks. There are always more minor characters to flesh out realistic diversity, but some major too.

Very true, wonderlad, yes. Like, Daredevil, Wolverine, more recent Avengers. Classic, more Cap, Hawkeye, Wasp, Iron Man, Thor.

Am very happy Hellcat is in MCU now.

Quote Originally Posted by rpriske View Post
    Nobody is asking the obvious question... why did they feel that they had to change her name?

"Trish" Walker is different than Patsy Walker.
    Now you are being obtuse patsy is a nickname for patricia just like trish is.

Astonishing Member The_Greatest_Username's Avatar

So there will actually be quality characters in a show headlined by Marvel's most boring heroine. I'll be checking this out after all.

Quote Originally Posted by saul_on_the_road_to_damascus View Post
    Now you are being obtuse patsy is a nickname for patricia just like trish is.
    And, seems by the description for the character in the show, she still gets named Patsy Walker by the fans.

What do you find so boring about Jessica/Jewel, Mr. Medusa?