Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

She's pretty.

I'm glad Hellcat will be in this.

Quote Originally Posted by chamber-music View Post
    I enjoyed Hellcat's role as a private eye in the recent She-Hulk comics.
    Yeah, me, too. I doubt they'll be keying on that characterization for this role, though...shame.

Incredible Member

I'm actually most intrigued by what versions of her powers they'll use if they make her Hellcat rather than just Patsy Walker. I mean, will she just have her ability enhancing suit, which amps up her natural athleticism, or will they go with the period in which she had psychic powers or even her post-resurrection abilities when she could sense mystical forces and protect against mystic assaults?

Obviously my guess would just be the suit at least to start, but with Dr. Strange debuting soon too, it would be interesting if they started hinting towards the mystical corner of the Marvel U.

Fantastic Member

Oh, hellz yes! That is awesome. I always loved it when she would stop by the Avengers' mansion for a few issues. Now the MCU has another complex, connected and wildly hot female added to the mix. I'm really hoping she makes it onto the Defenders roster.
    Currently Reading: A handful of series that will be canceled soon.

Quote Originally Posted by servo View Post
    I'm surprised no one yet has wondered whether or not Patsy/Trish will be a redhead - a major part of her look since her very first appearance.
    I will definitely be disappointed if Taylor stays blonde.

Quote Originally Posted by electr1cgoblin View Post
    Yeah, me, too. I doubt they'll be keying on that characterization for this role, though...shame.
    They might actually if she is going to replace jessica drew. Drew was also a private detective in alias.

I am glad to see Hellcat come into live action. She'll do great on this series.

Now I am keeping my fingers crossed we get Jessica Drew in this too! Not as Spiderwoman yet, but give her an introduction. I think Ms. Drew deserves her own Netflix series too.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Project Initiative Cascada View Post
    I am glad to see Hellcat come into live action. She'll do great on this series.

Now I am keeping my fingers crossed we get Jessica Drew in this too! Not as Spiderwoman yet, but give her an introduction. I think Ms. Drew deserves her own Netflix series too.
    Probably not. When Sony licensed the Spider brand, they almost certainly licensed the civilian IDs of all the characters.

Quote Originally Posted by gwangung View Post
    Probably not. When Sony licensed the Spider brand, they almost certainly licensed the civilian IDs of all the characters.
    Has it been confirmed which studio has the rights to Jessica Drew? I can see her as a possible Scarlet Witch situation where both companies can use her.

Incredible Member

I'm not convinced that Sony has the rights to Spiderwoman. Most significant in my mind is the fact that in all their talk of expanding the Spider-man franchise and doing movies with the Sinister Six, Venom and Black Cat, Sony has never once even mentioned the possibility of a Spider-woman movie. And if they really did have the rights to Jessica Drew or any of the other Spider-women, I can't imagine that the name wouldn't come up at least as a possible spin off they were considering.

Despite her name, I do think its far more likely that Marvel holds the rights to Jessica Drew. The film rights to all these characters are far from cut and dried given the dual control over Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch, the confusion as to what other characters were packaged under the Fantastic Four, the fact that even Feige himself has gone back and forth as to who exactly holds the rights to Namor at the moment....I think if it were as simple as Sony holds the rights to all characters with the word Spider in their name, regardless of their comic book affiliations, we would have heard something definitive along those lines somewhere in the past ten years.

Extraordinary Member

It's possible that this version of Patsy Walker might be a retired Super Hero like Jessica Jones.

How else would they have met?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    It's possible that this version of Patsy Walker might be a retired Super Hero like Jessica Jones.

How else would they have met?
    Not sure I understand. With Jessica being a retired superhero, they obviously could have met while they were both superheroing. What about that suggests that Patsy is likely to be retired as well for this show, rather than still currently a superhero Jessica remains friends with?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kalen O. View Post
    I'm not convinced that Sony has the rights to Spiderwoman. Most significant in my mind is the fact that in all their talk of expanding the Spider-man franchise and doing movies with the Sinister Six, Venom and Black Cat, Sony has never once even mentioned the possibility of a Spider-woman movie. And if they really did have the rights to Jessica Drew or any of the other Spider-women, I can't imagine that the name wouldn't come up at least as a possible spin off they were considering.

Despite her name, I do think its far more likely that Marvel holds the rights to Jessica Drew. The film rights to all these characters are far from cut and dried given the dual control over Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch, the confusion as to what other characters were packaged under the Fantastic Four, the fact that even Feige himself has gone back and forth as to who exactly holds the rights to Namor at the moment....I think if it were as simple as Sony holds the rights to all characters with the word Spider in their name, regardless of their comic book affiliations, we would have heard something definitive along those lines somewhere in the past ten years.
    Hmm....possibly correct....or that the lawyers were indeed sloppy and DIDN'T sew ANY of the characters up and that any use of the characters by either side would entail lots and lots of time in court.

Incredible Member

Hmm....possibly correct....or that the lawyers were indeed sloppy and DIDN'T sew ANY of the characters up and that any use of the characters by either side would entail lots and lots of time in court.
    Even if the latter were true, given how much money superhero movies have been bringing in for the last decade, I can't imagine that if there WERE any clarifications that needed to be made, they hadn't already done so years ago.

The fact that we've never heard about any disputes between Sony and Marvel is part of what makes me think Marvel's had Drew all along. Again, with Sony's attempts to turn anything and everything Spider-related into an expansion of their franchise, Spiderwoman would be a big deal for them if they had her....certainly a much more viable choice for a spinoff than Black Cat, given that the a film called Spiderwoman is going to immediately draw a lot more of a crowd than a film called Black Cat. Whereas, if Marvel has her, she's still fairly far down the rung of superheroes they're in a hurry to bring to the big screen, so it makes a lot more sense to have not heard her name come up with them.

tl;dr - If Sony has Drew, they would have mentioned it by now in their attempts to flesh out the Spider-man franchise with any and all big names they have. If Marvel has Drew, they wouldn't have, because they're more interested in keeping focus on Captain Marvel and all the names they have more immediate plans for.
    Last edited by Kalen O.; 01-29-2015 at 06:42 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kalen O. View Post
    Even if the latter were true, given how much money superhero movies have been bringing in for the last decade, I can't imagine that if there WERE any clarifications that needed to be made, they hadn't already done so years ago.
    Oh, I can. Clarifications means money has to change hands. I can see a company trying to be cheap and only use characters they know they have rights for, in black and white. I mean, that's not necessarily a smart thing to do, but we all know Hollywood isn't necessarily that smart.

I was going to say that you could turn it around, but actually, I can see Sony trying to sue Marvel for dilution of trademark if they tried to use Jessica Drew, even if Marvel had clear rights to the character.

Hm. I've argued myself into the position that you're probably right, but it's not a clear indication either way, given how sue-happy studio lawyers are.