Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BANNED

Default What is earth - 2 ?

Ok I probiliy know this question has been asked before but ill ask anyway. what exacliy is the earth -2 from the dc new 52 ? is it a re-boot of the original earth-two or a re-boot of the second earth-two that was later named earth-2 after infinite crisis ? plus was about the heroes... are the re-boots of the golden age heroes or re-boots of the heroes from the second earth-two ? man i'm so confused. please help : )

It's a reboot of the old DC Earth-2, but keeping more to the spirit of how DC relaunched heroes in the Silver Age.

The characters were reworked from the ground up, keeping basically just the names and core concepts.

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

What "second Earth-2"? The Earth 2 after IC was pretty much exactly the same as the one before it.

It's a New 2-ization of the concept. Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman are still the original superheroes like in the original Earth 2, and they still beget the JSA and successors like Power Girl and Huntress, but it's all in the present rather than starting in the late 30s/early 40s.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    It's a reboot of the old DC Earth-2, but keeping more to the spirit of how DC relaunched heroes in the Silver Age.

The characters were reworked from the ground up, keeping basically just the names and core concepts.
    I see... so that means the dc database is wrong. because it says that... "This is the Post-Flashpoint version of Earth-2" then I checked it out and found this... "Earth-2 was one of fifty-one divergent realities that branched from the core New Earth reality during the recreation of the Multiverse shortly following the events of Infinite Crisis. The primary heroic group of Earth-2 is Justice Society Infinity, an amalgamation of the older Justice Society of America and Infinity Inc."

Quote Originally Posted by kid_omega_prime View Post
    I see... so that means the dc database is wrong. because it says that... "This is the Post-Flashpoint version of Earth-2" then I checked it out and found this... "Earth-2 was one of fifty-one divergent realities that branched from the core New Earth reality during the recreation of the Multiverse shortly following the events of Infinite Crisis. The primary heroic group of Earth-2 is Justice Society Infinity, an amalgamation of the older Justice Society of America and Infinity Inc."
    That's actually one of the groups in Morrison's Multiversity.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by kid_omega_prime View Post
    That was the Earth-2 that was created during 52. It followed along the lines of Roy Thomas's work on Infinity Inc and the old Earth-2 except Hector never died.

Robinson's Earth-2 is an ultimatized reboot with Alan Scott, Jay Garrick and Hawkgirl as the new heroes of their world after the deaths of Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman. I don't know what Tom Taylor has done though.

BANNED

Think of it this way:

Somewhere, out there, there is a "real" DC Multiverse. And on one of those worlds, there's an "Earth 2" where Alan Scott is Green Lantern, Jay Garrick is the Flash, etc.

Every once in a while, there's a cosmic event that is like dropping a pebble into a lake. The effects ripple outward, but they are distorted reflection of the original. So the resulting multiverses tend to create new versions of "Earth 2" every time.

The current Earth 2 is just the latest version of that "real" Earth 2 we've never seen.

More human than human thetrellan's Avatar

I see it like this: In this new Earth 2, Batman, Wonder Woman, and Superman lived lives much the same as they did in the original Earth 2, but without the help of other heroes. Therefore, Catwoman married Bruce, Lois married Clark, Kara arrived late and Helena Wayne followed in her parents' footsteps.

All the other heroes are only coming to light now, so they are young while the big 3 would be older (if they still live). So the foundation of the original Earth 2 is there, but somehow altered by the existence of the evil New Gods, who originally didn't exist on Earth 2. It's as if Darkseid somehow arranged for the biggest threats to him to be isolated so he could better defeat them.

I wonder if this new Darkseid somehow has knowledge from the post-CIE universe?

The original Earth-2 was merged with Earth-1, -S, -X, and -4 (I think) in COIE #10.

The Earth-2 that appeared after "52" was a near-identical recreation of the original Earth-2, but wasn't EXACTLY it. This is illustrated by the fact that Power Girl--a survivor of the original E2--traveled to the new version thinking she'd found her old home. Then she met the Power Girl who lived on that world and knew it wasn't it.

Think of it this way: imagine you owned a great Lego Space set as a kid, but you mixed all the pieces together with four other sets and couldn't remember how to take them apart again. You still have your classic blue Spaceman from that set, but now he's stuck playing with Batman and a bunch of other characters. Then one day, somebody brings you an original, unopened copy of your old Space set. Now your blue spaceman has a home! ...except the set you just got already had a blue spaceman, just like the original did. That's what happened to Power Girl.

The 2012 Earth-2 is like somebody took a bunch of modern Lego pieces and built an all-new Lego Space Set that kinda-sorta resembled your old set and even has the same name, but Steppenwolf showed up and killed three of the spacemen. It has a new blue spaceman who looks like the old one, but now he's gay. Also, you only got halfway through building the set before you quit because your older brother kept telling you to include more Batman in it, so you let someone else take over and it looks more like a Pirate ship instead.

Quote Originally Posted by resipsaloquitur View Post
    The original Earth-2 was merged with Earth-1, -S, -X, and -4 (I think) in COIE #10.

The Earth-2 that appeared after "52" was a near-identical recreation of the original Earth-2, but wasn't EXACTLY it. This is illustrated by the fact that Power Girl--a survivor of the original E2--traveled to the new version thinking she'd found her old home. Then she met the Power Girl who lived on that world and knew it wasn't it.

Think of it this way: imagine you owned a great Lego Space set as a kid, but you mixed all the pieces together with four other sets and couldn't remember how to take them apart again. You still have your classic blue Spaceman from that set, but now he's stuck playing with Batman and a bunch of other characters. Then one day, somebody brings you an original, unopened copy of your old Space set. Now your blue spaceman has a home! ...except the set you just got already had a blue spaceman, just like the original did. That's what happened to Power Girl.

The 2012 Earth-2 is like somebody took a bunch of modern Lego pieces and built an all-new Lego Space Set that kinda-sorta resembled your old set and even has the same name, but Steppenwolf showed up and killed three of the spacemen. It has a new blue spaceman who looks like the old one, but now he's gay. Also, you only got halfway through building the set before you quit because your older brother kept telling you to include more Batman in it, so you let someone else take over and it looks more like a Pirate ship instead.
    OMG. I loved reading that!

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

The New 52's Earth 2 is simply one of the 52 realities created after Flashpoint. Earth 2 started kind of similar to Earth Prime except the Trinity (Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman) were much older than Earth Prime's versions. They also had different lives. Earth 2 Bruce was married to Catwoman and they had a daughter named Helena who was Batman's Robin. Supergirl came to Earth 2 and became very close to Superman. There were other so called Wonders as well (Earth 2's name for Superheroes). Then the dark times came. The armies of Darkseid invaded. They appeared to be on the brink of victory until Batman, Wonder Woman and Superman valiantly sacrificed themselves to end the invasion. The war was costly. So costly in fact that humanity put aside their petty differences and united under a single global banner. Most of the Wonders were either killed or went into hiding, so the world government became Earth's greatest protector.

Flash-forward five years and we see the rise of new Wonders and watch as they heroically struggle to save the world while avoiding the jackboot of the government and the vile Steppenwolf.

To break it down, Earth 2 is a different universe with a different history than Prime Earth. It was originally intended to be the world where the classic Golden Age heroes were the dominant superheroes but DC found wiggle room to re-introduce the Trinity.

And now spoilers:
    Earth 2 is DOOOOOMED(!) and its population will emigrate to Prime Earth, where Prime Earth's Green Arrow will become their most vocal advocate.
    end of spoilers

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by resipsaloquitur View Post

This is pretty accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by GLFan5994 View Post
    The New 52's Earth 2 is simply one of the 52 realities created after Flashpoint. Earth 2 started kind of similar to Earth Prime except the Trinity (Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman) were much older than Earth Prime's versions. They also had different lives. Earth 2 Bruce was married to Catwoman and they had a daughter named Helena who was Batman's Robin. Supergirl came to Earth 2 and became very close to Superman. There were other so called Wonders as well (Earth 2's name for Superheroes). Then the dark times came. The armies of Darkseid invaded. They appeared to be on the brink of victory until Batman, Wonder Woman and Superman valiantly sacrificed themselves to end the invasion. The war was costly. So costly in fact that humanity put aside their petty differences and united under a single global banner. Most of the Wonders were either killed or went into hiding, so the world government became Earth's greatest protector.

Flash-forward five years and we see the rise of new Wonders and watch as they heroically struggle to save the world while avoiding the jackboot of the government and the vile Steppenwolf.

To break it down, Earth 2 is a different universe with a different history than Prime Earth. It was originally intended to be the world where the classic Golden Age heroes were the dominant superheroes but DC found wiggle room to re-introduce the Trinity.

And now spoilers:
    Earth 2 is DOOOOOMED(!) and its population will emigrate to Prime Earth, where Prime Earth's Green Arrow will become their most vocal advocate.
    end of spoilers
    And in the process I hope DC will reintroduce the JSA into Earth Prime.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
    And in the process I hope DC will reintroduce the JSA into Earth Prime.
    It's "Prime-Earth" for the New 52, and there's no way DC could ever go back to the JSA at this point. Too much water under the bridge, and they refuse to have ever let superheroes actively exist during WWII.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Can someone please tell me where it has been stated in the New 52 that there are 52 universes in the multiverse? I thought Final crisis dropped that idea and it was just an infinite mutiverse again?

On Earth-2: it's like Earth-1, only different. That may not be too helpful...

It's just an alternate Earth. Darkseid invaded as in Justice League (#1-6) but, unlike in JL, he was much more destructive and this earth's Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman seemigly died. A new, different group of heroes were rising from the ashes and these were adapted from the JSA characters. Now it's just F**ked. Also, new Batman, Superman and his supporting cast.

Jame Robinson, the original writer and architect, was a favorite of mine but he left and the book has really gone downhill. It's still a fun read, though.

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    . . . Jame Robinson, the original writer and architect, was a favorite of mine but he left and the book has really gone downhill. It's still a fun read, though.
    Is your idea of "fun" dental surgery without anesthesia?