Page 4 of 376 FirstFirst 123456781454104 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member PennyDreadful's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tandaemonium View Post
    I hear you. I felt the same way pretty much until recently. I realized Barry, Wally, as well as many DC characters aren't in spirit or whatever you want to call it with who their past incarnations are. Like nuWally, they're all new characters that just utilize trademarks - it's made it easier personally for me to I suppose accept the state of things rather than repeatedly getting bummed or mad every week.
    I agree. It's not as if Wally in particular was singled out here. I've just heard too many similar comments about DC characters. IMO, they are not characters, they're trademark placeholders. Anyone looking for character development, for example, is gonna be disappointed. I think that's what's sad--these characters are pretty shallow compared to previous incarnations.

For what it's worth, I still find Barry to be too stiff and uptight--and I actually like Barry. I've just learned the hard way that it's a bad idea to get too attached to DC characters these days.

Incredible Member PennyDreadful's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Derek View Post
    It's never going to go back. People probably need to learn to accept change.
    I think it's more likely that aspects of the previous DCU will be incorporated into the new DCU at some point. Just as DC didn't revert to the pre-COIE universe but did restore some elements. And I do predict this will happen the minute the current leadership is gone.

Wally 'Ginger' West fan
    Along one of the Birkeland Currents that traverse the Milky Way. I forget the exact cross streets.

Quote Originally Posted by The Flash View Post
    Yeah in Annual 3

SPOILERS
    In one of the '20 years later' scenes, Barry mentions to Iris that it's his fault Wally isn't 32 years old, etc etc
    Yeah, I saw that scanned panel...as well as the part about being married with two kids.
    The creative team probably meant well by that remark but for me it just....reminded me of how much we lost.

Get over the loss?
    No.
    I just got over buying the new books.
    A pity as if they'd really brought back Wallace Rudolph West as he was (minus the being THE Flash and idolizing Barry parts) I'd have jumped to buy the books despite absolutely loathing Gorilla Grodd and this new Gorilla Grodd's zombie-inspired appetite for brains.

(I haven't checked for them yet but suppose there are some Grodd as a zombie out searching for 'bwaaaiins' within webcomic land.)
    Then there's the slight referencing to Cobalt Blue. Kind of.

I'm reading that the TV show influenced the race decision. When I think of all the times I was told that "DC Comics and DC TV/Video are two separate departments".... Yeah. Well.

I'm going to be inconsolable for a very long time.

What makes all this even more horrible on a personal level is that I recently received a present that was packed in a DC52 Justice League bag "because you love these guys so much." Didn't have the heart to confess that my love died rather dramatically this year.
    Maybe I'll use that bag when I take all my Rebirth-onwards Flash books down to the used book store. (No joke. I don't want anything past Barry's first (pre-52) reappearance where they were racing after that bullet.
    Last edited by Kyer; 05-01-2014 at 02:48 PM.
    Parental care is way exhausting. Gained insight into what my parents went through when I was a baby. Not fun, but what ya gonna do? (Read comics, obviously.)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Hellpop View Post
    I have no problem with non-white characters, but why couldn't they just introduce this new kid as the new kid flash or a different character? He will never be Wally West to me.
    And that's understandable, but I think DC saw it as a situation where there wasn't any significant reason NOT to give him the name. I imagine they don't foresee any situation where they'll be able to bring in someone more like the original Wally West in the current continuity. So might as well take the name and get it out there. It also stops the people who are bugging them about when they are going to bring Wally back.

Wally 'Ginger' West fan
    Along one of the Birkeland Currents that traverse the Milky Way. I forget the exact cross streets.

Quote Originally Posted by GlennSimpson View Post
    And that's understandable, but I think DC saw it as a situation where there wasn't any significant reason NOT to give him the name. I imagine they don't foresee any situation where they'll be able to bring in someone more like the original Wally West in the current continuity. So might as well take the name and get it out there. It also stops the people who are bugging them about when they are going to bring Wally back.
    Actually, that's the very first question I'd ask them -repeatedly- if I was at a con....while wearing a ginger-haired unmasked Flash t-shirt.
    Parental care is way exhausting. Gained insight into what my parents went through when I was a baby. Not fun, but what ya gonna do? (Read comics, obviously.)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by NamorsTrident View Post
    Not reading this but I want to know.....has it been confirmed that this kid is 12? The way he is drawn he seems a lot older than that.....
    I agree. The artist needs to see a 12 year old because a 12 year old does not like that.

Quote Originally Posted by FlashEarthOne View Post
    The belief has no truth to it. Some people claimed Barry in Young Justice was written just like Wally as well... which was a false claim as well.
    ehhhhh.....

Depends on the Wally. Honestly, he's had more character growth than any other character I can think of. I only dipped in occasionally to check up on the Flash when he was around... but everytime I did he was written completely different. He was the idolizing sidekick, the replacement hero, the kid trying to get out of 'real flash's' shadow, He was confident one, he was the mentor, he was the father.... Depending on what snapshot you consider to be 'the one true wally' The statement can be pretty accurate.

Honestly, I liked him when Johns was writing him, and I liked some of Waids stuff. I was a huge fan of the 'Return of Barry Allen/Zoom' story in the 90's. That was my favorite Wally story ever.

By the end of the run... with the kids ... I thought it had lost a LOT and I had dropped the book hard. THAT Wally I really had no more interest in reading.

Sadly, getting Barry back has NOT been what I had hoped for either... Words can not express how much I HATE the mega-crossover/event driven comic mentality... Any chance that Barry had to come back and shine was swept up and lost in the events.

Always Rakzo

Quote Originally Posted by Tandaemonium View Post
    JL/JLU Wally? Because, yeah, he was sarcastic. But comics-Wally? Nope. Pre-F but after all the hamburger-eating-emphasis Wally and N52 Barry are exactly the same dry delivery (though not sarcasm). They're both the same amount of pious and determined.
    Nope, based on the ideal portrayal of Wally (which is Messner-Loebs' by general consensus), he should be sarcastic, cool, funny and a bit of a jerk but not goofy, excessively arrogant and douchy (which was how he was portrayed in the JL cartoon).

I miss that Wally too, but upon recently re-reading N52 Barry, I realized, oh hey...this is Wally I just have to call him Barry now. Forensics cop vs. blue collar/mechanic = upgrade. Neither has their wives/family, but they're exactly the same besides jobs and other cosmetic differences like Barry's tardiness.
    Why? Because Barry uses some jokes now? That's how he was portrayed in the Silver and Bronze Age, just because people like Mark Waid wanted to portray him as overly bland it doesn't mean that's his true personality.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post
    Whhy? Because Barry uses some jokes now? That's how he was portrayed in the Silver and Bronze Age, just because people liked Mark Waid to portray him as overly bland it doesn't mean that's his true personality.
    That is the claim of several fans any time that Barry has a sense of humor. As I said earlier... it is a very false claim.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by galaxygnome View Post
    Earlier in the thread someone mentioned a connection to the show, and while I don't think it was mandated, I do think it was a smart (and exciting!) marketing decision to race bend Wally. I loved Linda, but we don't know if she's going to be the show
    Linda Park has already appeared in Arrow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHN9j8JlTmY&t=1m04s

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Flash View Post
    Where's this from?
    I think it's from Who's Who: I just did a Google image search.

All-New Member

Me hate Baron's Flash, but Barry Allen is the worst Flash of them all!

Wally nu52?

art by Magickmarker

Quote Originally Posted by Action Ace View Post
    I beg of you people, for the sake of Rakzo's health and well being, PLEASE REMEMBER....

As it says on the cover, William Messner-Loebs wrote issue #54, not Mark Waid.
    Is that the one where wally jumps out of the plane to save the falling Stewardess?

BANNED

http://th03.deviantart.net/fs70/PRE/...84-d51nssn.jpg

This should have been new52 Wallly with the mantle "The Blur".