Page 5 of 376 FirstFirst 1234567891555105 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post
    Nope, based on the ideal portrayal of Wally (which is Messner-Loebs' by general consensus), he should be sarcastic, cool, funny and a bit of a jerk but not goofy, excessively arrogant and douchy (which was how he was portrayed in the JL cartoon).
    Uh oh, now you're going to have the JL fans on this board asking for your head!

Quote Originally Posted by CBR League Unlimited View Post
    Is that the one where wally jumps out of the plane to save the falling Stewardess?
    I believe so. Great issue!
    "In any time, there will always be a need for heroes." - the Time Trapper, Legion of Superheroes #61(1994)

"What can I say? I guess I outgrew maturity.." - Bob Chipman

Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post
    Nope, based on the ideal portrayal of Wally (which is Messner-Loebs' by general consensus), he should be sarcastic, cool, funny and a bit of a jerk but not goofy, excessively arrogant and douchy (which was how he was portrayed in the JL cartoon).
    He wasn't excessively arrogant or douchy. Less of a jerk, more sarcastic. I'm re-watching the series right now.

Quote Originally Posted by !Pharozonk! View Post

Quote Originally Posted by The Flash View Post
    He wasn't excessively arrogant or douchy. Less of a jerk, more sarcastic. I'm re-watching the series right now.

I don't agree with Rakzo, but I won't deny that the JL/JLU Wally was fun, but overall shallow and cliched.
    "In any time, there will always be a need for heroes." - the Time Trapper, Legion of Superheroes #61(1994)

"What can I say? I guess I outgrew maturity.." - Bob Chipman

I don't agree with Rakzo, but I won't deny that the JL/JLU Wally was fun, but overall shallow and cliched.
    I agree with you on that. He had his moments though

Incredible Member PennyDreadful's Avatar

I loved the JLU Wally. He was a source of fun and levity. As such, he balanced out the other characters. He was really the heart of the "big seven." Just my opinion.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kyer View Post
    Yeah, I saw that scanned panel...as well as the part about being married with two kids.
    The creative team probably meant well by that remark but for me it just....reminded me of how much we lost.

Get over the loss?
    No.
    I just got over buying the new books.
    A pity as if they'd really brought back Wallace Rudolph West as he was (minus the being THE Flash and idolizing Barry parts) I'd have jumped to buy the books despite absolutely loathing Gorilla Grodd and this new Gorilla Grodd's zombie-inspired appetite for brains.

(I haven't checked for them yet but suppose there are some Grodd as a zombie out searching for 'bwaaaiins' within webcomic land.)
    Then there's the slight referencing to Cobalt Blue. Kind of.

I'm reading that the TV show influenced the race decision. When I think of all the times I was told that "DC Comics and DC TV/Video are two separate departments".... Yeah. Well.

I'm going to be inconsolable for a very long time.

What makes all this even more horrible on a personal level is that I recently received a present that was packed in a DC52 Justice League bag "because you love these guys so much." Didn't have the heart to confess that my love died rather dramatically this year.
    Maybe I'll use that bag when I take all my Rebirth-onwards Flash books down to the used book store. (No joke. I don't want anything past Barry's first (pre-52) reappearance where they were racing after that bullet.
    Ah, irony.

Changing Barry's ancestry to line up with a TV show that doesn't even have a season guaranteed yet happens, but basing any of the Young Justice line-up or Flash stories off interpretations from the critically acclaimed and beloved Young Justice would have been "stupid."

There's still a strong chance they could make the new Wally work, but. I'm getting a vibe that the new creative team is still thinking "we make our own mark and strive ahead for new stories and new characters!" Which isn't bad, but does make it disheartening when they sacrifice your favorite character to satisfy an editorial mandate about new stories and making Silver Age characters seem young.

Now, I'm still thinking a time travel method will be used on the TV show to introduce a grown up Wally West Flash at some point; they'll see how this version is received and probably figure that paying tribute to the highly successful iterations in the past will pay off more.

And I don't mind the skin tone change. All I care about is the personality and importance of the character.

Man I loved me some Wally West. I loved that him and Dick Grayson were friends. And to me those two actually embodied the idea and ideals of the DC universe. Dick as a hero who was mentored,started a legacy of his own, and who grew out of it to become his own hero, and Wally who was also had a mentor, started his own legacy, and grew to become the mentor.

Wally West was (IMO) the only character to ever fully replace his mentor. For all Kyle did Hal was the more popular one. Hal was "THE" GL. But for Flash there was a LARGE portion of the community who thought Wally when they pictured "THE" Flash. That's why Wally was important to have around as well. It at least put forth the possibility that former sidekicks or other heroes could one day not only take over a role but BECOME the "iconic" "most well know" version of that role.

Starting with the "Justice For All" arc in the Justice League show Wally's character improved notably for the series
    Season 4 is the best one when it comes to Wally West
    I believe so. Great issue!
    William Messner-Loebs made a very significant run in my book, all his issues are as great as this one, or better
    I thought Mark Waid and Geoff Johns were the best Wally writers, until I read the Messsener-Loeb run

Quote Originally Posted by juan678 View Post
    Wally nu52?

art by Magickmarker
    Here's the twist spoilers:
    That's Barry from 20 years in the future
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by Speed Force League Unlimited; 05-05-2014 at 08:03 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by PennyDreadful View Post
    I loved the JLU Wally. He was a source of fun and levity. As such, he balanced out the other characters. He was really the heart of the "big seven." Just my opinion.
    I agree. I loved Wally here and in Young Justice. He was far from cliche and shallow, he made the team work and like you said was the heart of the team.

Astonishing Member The_Greatest_Username's Avatar

Wally was one of my favorite characters from JLU and one of the characters I looked for books with when I got into comics.
    I'm a little bit disheartened by how drastically different he is in the New 52. Most characters got minor tweaks here and there, but Wally might as well be a completely different character altogether (not referring to his being bi-racial; that's not the problem I have).

I wish they'd use the Messner-Loebs Wally for reference. I would've preferred he be 15 or so instead of 12, honestly.

On an unrelated note, I do miss Linda Park and wish she'd come back.

Always Rakzo

I'm untouchable!

... Except by nitpicky people.

Quote Originally Posted by The Flash View Post
    Yeah, maybe I was a bit harsh by saying that but still it was a much more goofy portrayal than the usual Wally.

I wish they'd use the Messner-Loebs Wally for reference. I would've preferred he be 15 or so instead of 12, honestly.
    Me too, but I still think this kind of age has potential.

On an unrelated note, I do miss Linda Park and wish she'd come back.
    Would love to see Linda as a little girl.

BANNED

Wally being 12 basically ruins everything, why bring back Wally if they wanted Bart? Comic time is a very long time, in other words we readers are never gonna see this guy become flash and they rebooted the whole universe because the popular characters were getting to old. Theres no way that they are gonna let that happen again.
    Last edited by Neowing; 05-09-2014 at 11:28 AM.