Page 51 of 376 FirstFirst ... 4147484950515253545561101151 ... LastLast
    It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

Quote Originally Posted by Cmbmool View Post
    And thus my interest in the show has decreased. Do the writers of the show even realize the MESS THAT THE NUWally caused in the comics ? and
    Sure they do. Chances are they have at least a little bit of responsibility in it.

Astonishing Member

to speak eldritch words of heresy; there is a decent chance that appearance aside (assuming they don't grab a daywalker); show!nu!wally may be different in many ways to comics!nu!wally

for starters; since joe west basically adopted barry and raised him alongside iris and at least ruddy; so he's already effectively wally's uncle even without dating/marrying iris (because where would CW be without a years long romantic arc we can all see the ending of?); so barry and wally would already know each other and the interactions might be slightly less forced and iffy as heck?
    i also don't exactly see detective west letting his grandson run wild like comics!iris has, or letting ruddy go AWOL on his responsibilities etc
    daniel west's motivation for becoming reverse flash is off the table; so the "i idolize my deadbeat uncle who turned out to be a supervillain, and blame the hero who stopped him killing people for putting him away" line with wally is out.
    even wally's reason for showing up in central city might be different (eg, joe breaks his leg or something at some point; barry and iris are up to their eyeballs etc; wally visists to help look after his grandfather. boom intro)?

now, i could be totally wrong and it's going to be the same as the comics (though tv executives seem more aware of stuff than comic editors); but i really hope not.

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    Why?

(10 char)
    Because I don't like anything about it. I don't like Geoff Johns and I don't like his vision of things. I don't like Dan DiDio and I don't like his vision of things, and I think this bi-racial Wally West is a product of all that. I also don't care for Barry Allen. I don't like them screwing around fans and characters so they can promote their vision of Neo-Superfriends to a world that's moved on from that a LONG time ago. I really don't think most fans or even casuals want that, it's primarily these people on top who do.

There's just nothing here that I like. I hope it bombs like the Green Lantern movie so that maybe WB can think twice about what some of these comic people like Geoff Johns are doing.
    Last edited by Desh; 09-07-2014 at 05:34 PM.

How can one hate the Superfriends? DC was at its best during the Silver Age!
    "In any time, there will always be a need for heroes." - the Time Trapper, Legion of Superheroes #61(1994)

"What can I say? I guess I outgrew maturity.." - Bob Chipman

Quote Originally Posted by Pharozonk View Post
    How can one hate the Superfriends? DC was at its best during the Silver Age!
    Who hates Superfriends?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Desh View Post
    Because I don't like anything about it. I don't like Geoff Johns and I don't like his vision of things. I don't like Dan DiDio and I don't like his vision of things, and I think this bi-racial Wally West is a product of all that. I also don't care for Barry Allen. I don't like them screwing around fans and characters so they can promote their vision of Neo-Superfriends to a world that's moved on from that a LONG time ago. I really don't think most fans or even casuals want that, it's primarily these people on top who do.

There's just nothing here that I like. I hope it bombs like the Green Lantern movie so that maybe WB can think twice about what some of these comic people like Geoff Johns are doing.
    even assuming dawn of justice doesn't end up flopping and being crushed by cap 3 (though that one might be more on snyder/wb trying to play catch-up); aquaman and shazam are definately going to flop. and wb's punishment for GL was the gradual erasure of the spectrum concept, i expect they will reek terrible and not-so-mildly misogynistic vengance on johns right where it hurts.

and since i like john's aquaman, flash and shazam; that would be bad
    Last edited by king of hybrids; 09-07-2014 at 05:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    Who hates Superfriends?
    Desh has said that he doesn't like Superfriends on multiple occasions.
    "In any time, there will always be a need for heroes." - the Time Trapper, Legion of Superheroes #61(1994)

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Desh View Post

Here's the thing: I'm not a fan of Johns' work (at least not for the last half decade at least), I'm really not a fan of the DCU that he and Didio and the rest of the powers that be have come up with and I will always be more of a Wally West guy than a Barry Allen fan (though I like Barry just fine when he is given a decent personality that doesn't just feel like Wally-lite) but it does make sense to go with Barry Allen for the TV show. Part of Wally's appeal is directly related to his being Barry's successor, which is great for decades of comics stories but is less ideal when you're talking about a new TV show.

It's especially a weird complaint in this case because what little I've seen on the new show, this Barry seems to be somewhat closer to Wally West than to Johns' admittedly terrible take on the character.

All this said, I'm only cautiously optimistic as I'm not convinced by the Smallville-ificaton of these characters and Barry does still have that idiotic "tragic" backstory that Johns insisted on shoe-horning into his comics and has somehow become accepted canon. Still, advanced reviews have been good and as long as they keep the fun levels up, it may well turn into a really enjoyable show.

Most importantly though, isn't it - to put it kindly - rather premature to wish for the demise of a show that has not yet been released and that you presumably have not yet seen?
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

I don't like Superfriends either. It's an old cartoon full either white people or stereotypical, borderline comedic portrait of people of color, technically poor, and it keeps forcing it's way into modern representations of the characters due to either nostalgia on the part of TPTB or a belief - to which I disagree - that those are the ideal form in which those properties should be portrayed. Pretty much all DC animations after it are vastly superior to it, and the only thing it has going for it is the massive impact it did in its time due to it being pretty much "the only" cartoon to watch.

Also, I had to endure five to six episodes of it every morning in order to get to the one episode of Thundercats of the day.

Quote Originally Posted by BohemiaDrinker View Post
    I don't like Superfriends either. It's an old cartoon full either white people or stereotypical, borderline comedic portrait of people of color, technically poor, and it keeps forcing it's way into modern representations of the characters due to either nostalgia on the part of TPTB or a belief - to which I disagree - that those are the ideal form in which those properties should be portrayed. Pretty much all DC animations after it are vastly superior to it, and the only thing it has going for it is the massive impact it did in its time due to it being pretty much "the only" cartoon to watch.

Also, I had to endure five to six episodes of it every morning in order to get to the one episode of Thundercats of the day.
    The Green Lantern and Flash Filmation shorts are my favorite DC animation product of all time.

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    Just great. NuWally is going to join the Flash show. Not that it mattered. The pilot sucked anyways.

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansit...news/?a=107215
    Yeah, the New 52 Wally story has been fairly poor, but you knew this was going to be the reason why they changed him in the comics. I know the show runner said it was all DC and not them, but I have a hard time believing it wasn't planned from the start.

That's terrible. How can someone hate Superfriends?

Mighty Member

He also seems to always claim that the general public shares his opinion.

Incredible Member PennyDreadful's Avatar

Aw, I like Superfriends! It's nowhere near as classic as JLU, but it has a charm of its own.

I hope Geoff Johns does not have too much influence on the Flash TV series. Just my opinion.

Extraordinary Member

To point this out, the same creators on the Flash are the ones on Arrow, and they delivered a pretty good version of Roy Harper in spite of DC's previous mutilation of the character, and their Reverse Flash at least looks more like the classic Thawne/Zoloman than the new one. And I could easily see the Flash TV guys looking at the New 52 version and saying "Whoah, this is kind of cliched in a really unfortunate way. Let's stick with the classic version, but African American." And in spite of how young Barry may be, a youngish Wally could be very fun to see, and with the time travel plotlines they have, I could see a fully matured Wally showing up as zen master of speed, ala Max Mercury.

I'm hoping I can enter this thread in a few months and say "dudes, this show is pretty good so far and they've announced they want to go with a classic Wally personality." And honestly, that seems like a decent bet to make. My biggest worry about the show right now is whether it's core romance between Iris and Barry gets as eye-rollingly bad as Laurel and Oliver. There's always the chance that they see the female lead as a character that has to be the "relateable to our shopping-inclined female demographic" and not as an actual character.