Page 55 of 376 FirstFirst ... 54551525354555657585965105155 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member PennyDreadful's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    Man Superfriends is the greatest. The most memorable episodes was when Apache Chief showed up.
    I'll always remember when Apache Chief and Black Vulcan showed up in an episode of "Harvey Birdman: Attorney at Law." Black Vulcan then joins a team called "Multiculture Pals."

Quote Originally Posted by Pharozonk View Post
    I think Superfriends is endearing in how bad its attempts at diversity were.
    Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    Man Superfriends is the greatest. The most memorable episodes was when Apache Chief showed up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    Baby steps; they had to start *somewhere*, and unlike Pallas Athena, this baby wasn't going to emerge fully formed from the godhead.
    LOL!

Have to agree, as ham-fisted and cliche as they were, at least H.B. recognized that the JL they inherited form the comic, looked ridiculously unrepresentative of the audience that actually watched them.
    And they genuinely tried to do something about it.
    Yes as far as character goes, there was no "character", instead their "ethnicity" which they wore on their sleeves and in their names- it was the 70s! - became the most important thing about them, like it was another one of their superpowers. LOL.
    At least they were there, standing and fighting right along side the rest as the JL.
    The comic JL was, and still is some 40 years behind them. Incapable of coming up with new characters, they've taken to recoloring old ones.
    Last edited by Güicho; 09-11-2014 at 07:05 PM.

Wally 'Ginger' West fan
    Along one of the Birkeland Currents that traverse the Milky Way. I forget the exact cross streets.

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    LOL!

Have to agree, as ham-fisted and cliche as they were, at least H.B. recognized that the JL they inherited form the comic, looked ridiculously unrepresentative of the audience that actually watched them.
    And they genuinely tried to do something about it.
    Yes as far as character goes, there was no "character", instead their "ethnicity" which they wore on their sleeves and in their names- it was the 70s! - became the most important thing about them, like it was another one of their superpowers. LOL.
    At least they were there, standing and fighting right along side the rest as the JL.
    The comic JL was, and still is some 40 years behind them. Incapable of coming up with new characters, they've taken to recoloring old ones.
    Superfriends was horribly cliche and wooden in animation and characterization. It bored me to tears.
    That said, at least the production team there tried to include different societies in their hero world without taking existing ones and mangling their DNA. Given a choice, I'd rather be strapped into a chair watching non-stop Superfriends then forced to read DC52....something I have no respect for.
    Parental care is way exhausting. Gained insight into what my parents went through when I was a baby. Not fun, but what ya gonna do? (Read comics, obviously.)

Quote Originally Posted by Kyer View Post
    Superfriends was horribly cliche and wooden in animation and characterization. It bored me to tears.
    That said, at least the production team there tried to include different societies in their hero world without taking existing ones and mangling their DNA. Given a choice, I'd rather be strapped into a chair watching non-stop Superfriends then forced to read DC52....something I have no respect for.
    Who wouldn't choose Superfriends instead of that garbage?

Ultimate Member

Me. I'd much rather read Batman, or WW, or Lemire's GA, or John's Aquaman, or Grayson, or Swamp Thing, or SM/WW, etc. I will give them credit for at least TRYING to address the diversity problem. True the show was wooden, cliché-ridden nonsense, but it was the 70's. A lot of animation was like that back then.

It was the decade of Hanna-Barbera and Filmation. Think "Help! It's the Hair Bear Bunch" and "Super Globetrotters" and "Groovie Ghoolies." All those shows now have a sort of cheesy retro charm.

I'm just horrified at what they did to Marvin and Wendy when they were brought back to comics. Who thought that was a good idea?

But the Timmverse stands above Superfriends. Just saying.

Anyhow, the solit for Flash 37 mentions a "new, murderous Flash." Please don't let it be Wally. Please.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PennyDreadful View Post
    It was the decade of Hanna-Barbera and Filmation. Think "Help! It's the Hair Bear Bunch" and "Super Globetrotters" and "Groovie Ghoolies." All those shows now have a sort of cheesy retro charm.

I'm just horrified at what they did to Marvin and Wendy when they were brought back to comics. Who thought that was a good idea?

No disagreement with anything you said here. While being part of the generation that watched all of those shows you mentioned ( I actually owned Globetrotter stickers I got from Buster Brown Shoes back in the early '70s, while my brother had the Hair Bear Bunch board game from MB), 21st century Hanna-Barbera killed their '70s product. Of course, the Timmverse would have looked very similar to Super Friends had it been created 40 years ago.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

Baby steps; they had to start *somewhere*, and unlike Pallas Athena, this baby wasn't going to emerge fully formed from the godhead.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    it was the 70s!

Anyhow, the solit for Flash 37 mentions a "new, murderous Flash." Please don't let it be Wally. Please.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    No disagreement with anything you said here. While being part of the generation that watched all of those shows you mentioned ( I actually owned Globetrotter stickers I got from Buster Brown Shoes back in the early '70s, while my brother had the Hair Bear Bunch board game from MB), 21st century Hanna-Barbera killed their '70s product. Of course, the Timmverse would have looked very similar to Super Friends had it been created 40 years ago.
    I agree with all of the above. What I don't like about Superfriends is it's lasting influence on decision makers. I don't like that that is what DC Editors are referring to when they say "iconic", I don't like the view that the ideal Justice League should be a reflection of some line up of SuperFriends, I don't like that they feel the need for Aquaman to be clean-shaved, Green Lantern to be white or the Hall of Justice to be present and, in general, and I don't think that that cartoon should inform contemporary comics or other cartoons so much. In the same vein that I don't think Adam West's Batman should.

It's been 40 years, as everyone said; let it go.

IMHO, Superfriends is part off the problem, no matter how many happy childhood memories one can have about it. I'm not saying the Timmverse is perfect either, but it WAS a step on the right direction; concerning diversity and everything else.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BohemiaDrinker View Post
    I agree with all of the above. What I don't like about Superfriends is it's lasting influence on decision makers. I don't like that that is what DC Editors are referring to when they say "iconic", I don't like the view that the ideal Justice League should be a reflection of some line up of SuperFriends, I don't like that they feel the need for Aquaman to be clean-shaved, Green Lantern to be white or the Hall of Justice to be present and, in general, and I don't think that that cartoon should inform contemporary comics or other cartoons so much. In the same vein that I don't think Adam West's Batman should.

It's been 40 years, as everyone said; let it go.

IMHO, Superfriends is part off the problem, no matter how many happy childhood memories one can have about it. I'm not saying the Timmverse is perfect either, but it WAS a step on the right direction; concerning diversity and everything else.
    It's a generation gap thing: the Classic Rock Generation vs. the Hip-Hop Generation.

You won't have much success trying to convince either side that they're wrong, though.

Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

It's a generation gap thing: the Classic Rock Generation vs. the Hip-Hop Generation.

You won't have much success trying to convince either side that they're wrong, though.

Oh, I know. If I could convince anyone of anything, I'd probably would have by now.

That's just the way I see things, though. However, I think nostalgia (for lack of a better word) should really be put under a microscope before any decision making. I'm a classic rock guy myself, but should I start a band I'd try to take ALL good bands into account, not try to ape a Led Zeppelin impression.

(And hell, in no way I'm implying that Superfriends is the Led Zeppelin of cartoons. just an easy example).

Double post.

What if you're neither and you're the alt-rock generation? I mean, I spent the 1990s listening to lots of alternative rock. Where does that leave me?

I do like a lot of classic rock, though.

Wally 'Ginger' West fan
    Along one of the Birkeland Currents that traverse the Milky Way. I forget the exact cross streets.

I can't help but think of Walter West and his murderous turn when he was temporarily insane.

Btw, that fan comic that imagined a better outcome for Wally in Flashpoint is done:
    http://www.journeystudiosonline.com/flash-276.html

I would have like it better if it had ended with Linda and just....yeah, let us imagine that his family stayed intact beyond the stupidity that is DC52.
    Parental care is way exhausting. Gained insight into what my parents went through when I was a baby. Not fun, but what ya gonna do? (Read comics, obviously.)

Wally 'Ginger' West fan

Latest Multiversity blurb for #3:
    For their next team-up, the two superstars take a spin around the self-obsessed Earth-16 – a.k.a. Earth-Me!
    With all of the world’s threats having been handled long ago by their parents, the next generation of supers – including Chris Kent, Damien Wayne, Alexis Luthor, Offspring, Megamorpho, Donna Troy and more – find themselves labeled as superstars more often than super heroes. But with that fame comes complacency, and when a massive threat unlike anything they’ve ever seen surfaces, this pampered crew finds themselves in way over their head. What secret is Damien keeping from Chris that could tear the world’s finest friends apart? Who is the mysterious killer lurking behind the scenes among these spoiled super-children?
    http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=55558

Oh.... mega sigh
    These are not the Legacy heroes I was hoping for in possibly more ways than one.
    Also, no specific mentioning of Wally West unless he is one of the lackluster "and more" in this and the alternate cover is of Barry. (And an awful one too.)

Yeah...Am not feeling too excited here. Hope the actual story is a lot better than it sounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyer View Post
    Latest Multiversity blurb for #3:
    http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=55558

Oh.... mega sigh
    These are not the Legacy heroes I was hoping for in possibly more ways than one.
    Also, no specific mentioning of Wally West unless he is one of the lackluster "and more" in this and the alternate cover is of Barry. (And an awful one too.)
    That cover is a great depiction of what opening up time/dimension/space would look like for him running in place.

And it might be Wally.