Page 61 of 376 FirstFirst ... 115157585960616263646571111161 ... LastLast
    It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    They're certainly casting the Flash young these days.
    Well, that DOES prevent an7y version of Wally even faintly resembling his classic self.

I still wonder about the reasoning behind going separate ways with the TV show and the movies when both are going to be running concurrently (assuming that the TV series doesn't go belly up before the movie is released). I could see the reason that SMALLVILLE did this even as SUPERMAN RETURNS was released (SMALLVILLE already had a years-entrenched storyline inconsistent with SUPERMAN RETURNS, which had loose continuity with the Christopher Reeve movies). I can only guess that the TV show and the movie will pursue two different takes on the Flash. Assuming that Ezra's version is Barry Allen (not Wally West or some other version), perhaps it's a more "classic" Barry, less New 52-influenced?

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    If you put the same actor, people will assume that it's set in the same continuity. Shared continuity between movies and tv is problematic, to say the least; it's probably gonna be a similar take, but streamlined. I wonder if the Wests will continue to the black, though.... if not, it may result in a major screw up.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PennyDreadful View Post
    It's not written in stone that they have to cast Barry, Jay, Wally, or Bart as the Flash. Especially since Bart was on Smallville.
    Who was the Flash in the comics at that point, though? There's no doubt in my mind it will be Barry.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by BohemiaDrinker View Post
    If you put the same actor, people will assume that it's set in the same continuity. Shared continuity between movies and tv is problematic, to say the least; it's probably gonna be a similar take, but streamlined. I wonder if the Wests will continue to the black, though.... if not, it may result in a major screw up.
    I agree with you about mixing the television and film universes together. As for Wally, I assume he will black in all mediums for many a year.

Incredible Member PennyDreadful's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    Who was the Flash in the comics at that point, though? There's no doubt in my mind it will be Barry.
    IIRC, Bart was Flash very briefly. He used the codename Impulse on Smallville. Usually, it was Wally, and later Barry.

If it is Wally or Bart, it would be a much-younger version of them.

And who's to say it would remain Barry for the movies? My point: don't assume Wally's being ruled out for other media. Also, don't assume he'd resemble comic book Wally or JLU Wally or YJ Wally. Case in point: TV Barry isn't comic book Barry (thank God).
    Last edited by PennyDreadful; 10-15-2014 at 02:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    As for Wally, I assume he will black in all mediums for many a year.
    Nah, not really. Our "person of color sidekick" is not technically Wally, unless you think of him primarily as Kid Flash, and that's almost certainly the version that would make the jump.

Let me rephrase: it does prevent any version of Wally that people who care for Wally from appearing. And that's okay, really, but it is what it is.

EDIT: I just realized i misread what you posted. I undestood "back" when you said "black".

So, correcting myself to make my point clearer. Black Wally is ok. Wally as Kid Flash is not.

( I have a kidney stone right now and am completely doped up. Sorry. :P)
    Last edited by BohemiaDrinker; 10-15-2014 at 04:45 PM.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Let me rephrase: it does prevent any version of Wally that people who care for Wally from appearing. And that's okay, really, but it is what it is.
    Come on, BD, that isn't fair. I liked/grew up with the classic Wally too, but that doesn't mean I HAVE TO hate the new interpretation.

Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Incredible Member PennyDreadful's Avatar

Nah, not really. Our "person of color sidekick" is not technically Wally, unless you think of him primarily as Kid Flash, and that's almost certainly the version that would make the jump.

I'm not sure what you mean by that.

Come on, BD, that isn't fair. I liked/grew up with the classic Wally too, but that doesn't mean I HAVE TO hate the new interpretation.

You don't have to, but it's hard not to.
    "In any time, there will always be a need for heroes." - the Time Trapper, Legion of Superheroes #61(1994)

"What can I say? I guess I outgrew maturity.." - Bob Chipman

That's not what I meant. You know that what you call classic and what I do are not the same, right?

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

That's not what I meant. You know that what you call classic and what I do are not the same, right?
    To me, classic Wally is the guy we saw in the comics from about 1959 to 2011. He went through different phases, some better than others, at the hands of different writers, but they were all the same guy.

Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by PennyDreadful View Post
    I'm not sure what you mean by that.
    it means that when you make Barry SO young, specially younger than other JLAers (which is actually detrimental to his character IMHO, but that's another discussion) you barr any possibility of a passing of the torch from happening, because it wouldn't actually be a point to it. So Wally is kept as Kid Flash forever.

That, I believe, is basically why lots of people say they're making Barry more similar to Wally by making h9im young; Flash as the younger, newer on the block hero on the JL? That's Wally's schitck.

Wally as Kid Flash? Honestly, if it was only up to me, screw that.

BANNED

It's funny that the cast of Barry Allen is with younger actors. Make me think that it is Wally
    grant gustin, ezra for me are more Wally types...

nobody said that the flash movie is Barry.

wally as kid flash could be nice. it's a start for the character at least

it means that when you make Barry SO young, specially younger than other JLAers (which is actually detrimental to his character IMHO, but that's another discussion) you barr any possibility of a passing of the torch from happening, because it wouldn't actually be a point to it. So Wally is kept as Kid Flash forever.

That, I believe, is basically why lots of people say they're making Barry more similar to Wally by making h9im young; Flash as the younger, newer on the block hero on the JL? That's Wally's schitck.

Wally as Kid Flash? Honestly, if it was only up to me, screw that.
    I don't think that's a strategy to keep Wally down, but rather to make Barry seem "hip", which is a problem I have with modern DC writing.
    "In any time, there will always be a need for heroes." - the Time Trapper, Legion of Superheroes #61(1994)

"What can I say? I guess I outgrew maturity.." - Bob Chipman

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksun View Post
    wally as kid flash could be nice. it's a start for the character at least
    On movies/TV, it could be a nice start, yes. TV specifically could go the Arrow way. But the young casting of Barry added to the fact that Kreysberg already referred to Wally as Kid Flash probably means that there's all the is to it.

On comics, since his start came after everyone else's, it's not my cup of tea.

Same here, BA.