Page 65 of 376 FirstFirst ... 155561626364656667686975115165 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Medusa View Post
    Guys, I was thinking about getting Johns' Flash Omnibus. The new TV show has sparked my interest in expanding my Flash readings for Barry and Wally alike. Would you say his run is a necessary read?
    It's good until about issue #200, after which the quality really drops off. I also recommend this Messner-Loebs as it is without a doubt the best Wally run.
    "In any time, there will always be a need for heroes." - the Time Trapper, Legion of Superheroes #61(1994)

"What can I say? I guess I outgrew maturity.." - Bob Chipman

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pharozonk View Post
    It's good until about issue #200, after which the quality really drops off. I also recommend this Messner-Loebs as it is without a doubt the best Wally run.
    I must be the exception here. I like Johns' run after 200 as much as I liked it before 200.

Out of the 200+ issues of Wally's Flash run, I've probably only read 40. Seriously need to start collecting and reading more. I've found a lot of the early Mike Baron issues and now have issues 2 to about 16, with some random single issues after that. And of course I"ve got the Return of Barry Allen storyline as well. There are some huge gaps there. I like early Wally, or rather, I don't like his character a lot, but I do appreciate the approach taken with him. It's interesting to see him stumble a lot and clearly have trouble stepping in Barry's shoes as a high profile hero. It was a brave direction to take the character.

Astonishing Member The_Greatest_Username's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FlashingSabre View Post
    Its really, really good. Essential for any Dan of Wally and the Rogues
    Thanks, I ordered the first Omnibus, so if it's good, I'll without a doubt get the second.

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

I agree with this. I absolutely loved Johns' run, especially the Savitar storyarc and Pelletier's run
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Wally West Aficionado Spider-Ham's Avatar

Can't believe what they've done to Wally in The Flash #35 ... I don't think DC remember they've already did it 4 times in 3 years. :/

P.S : Thanks to Bohemia for his awesome manip' of Wally, I love it !

Time for Dissection FlashingSabre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by new_onslaught View Post
    I must be the exception here. I like Johns' run after 200 as much as I liked it before 200.
    Me too. I dont understand all the hate.
    Cyclops was right

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Knight1047 View Post
    I agree with this. I absolutely loved Johns' run, especially the Savitar storyarc and Pelletier's run
    Er, both of those were by Mark Waid.

I do actually rather like Johns' run on the Flash (certainly up to #200) but Waid's and Messner-Loebs' are probably still the best. Still, that is pretty much 200 issues in a row of top-drawer Flash comics - which is why it's so disheartening to see how bad Flash has been since Johns' original departure, with only parts of Waid's second run and Manapul and Buccelattos New 52 run being decent but still not great exceptions.
    Last edited by Ilan Preskovsky; 10-25-2014 at 01:21 PM.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

I agree that the quality drops a bit after #200 but Waid's run was pretty mixed at times.
    BB

Wally 'Ginger' West fan
    Along one of the Birkeland Currents that traverse the Milky Way. I forget the exact cross streets.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Batson View Post
    I agree that the quality drops a bit after #200 but Waid's run was pretty mixed at times.
    Every run was a mixed bag of those Harry Potter bean candies, but the earlier writers seemed to center on Wally and his reactions while Johns was more into the Rogues. At least that is the feeling I got from reading the different runs.

My favorite: Messner-Loeb pretty much neck and neck with Waid. (And I liked Waid's second run well enough. It was the aged kids had a hard time stomaching and recall hearing that was a DC Editorial direction.)
    Parental care is way exhausting. Gained insight into what my parents went through when I was a baby. Not fun, but what ya gonna do? (Read comics, obviously.)

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ilan Preskovsky View Post
    Er, both of those were by Mark Waid.

I do actually rather like Johns' run on the Flash (certainly up to #200) but Waid's and Messner-Loebs' are probably still the best. Still, that is pretty much 200 issues in a row of top-drawer Flash comics - which is why it's so disheartening to see how bad Flash has been since Johns' original departure, with only parts of Waid's second run and Manapul and Buccelattos New 52 run being decent but still not great exceptions.
    I messed up when typing. I meant that those two storyarcs were my favorite from Flash v2 as a whole. As for my favorites from Johns' runs, I would have to say #182, "Blood Will Run" (170-173) and "The Blitz" (197-200). IMO, Waid's Flash had more original and interesting stories. But Johns was a pretty good Flash writer too.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

BANNED

So we have a black future wally who does look pretty cool,BUT it's not really wally,a wally who looks,and acts like Wally,but on a earth that doesn't let him be "Wally the great hero",is there any other presently published versions of Wally by DC right now?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Medusa View Post
    Thanks, I ordered the first Omnibus, so if it's good, I'll without a doubt get the second.
    The second omnibus you'll have to get for sure, Blitz is one of my favorite Flash story arcs. As for issues after Flash #200, I personally enjoyed the Rogue War and the rogue profile issues. But I think people were on a high after Blitz, and IMO the story arc right after Ignition was relatively disappointing.
    Now reading: The Flash (vol. 2) 35-62

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Batson View Post
    This. Waid's run was collectively good though
    Now reading: The Flash (vol. 2) 35-62

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

I would agree that Waid's run was a bit of a mixed bag at times but pretty much everything between Born to Run and the end of Race Through Time - bar the random issue issue here and there - was consistently very good/ excellent. It was only after that that things got a bit more iffy, with the whole "Barry's evil twin" thing being the obvious and very definite low point.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.