Page 7 of 376 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757107 ... LastLast

Prophetic indeed.
    "In any time, there will always be a need for heroes." - the Time Trapper, Legion of Superheroes #61(1994)

"What can I say? I guess I outgrew maturity.." - Bob Chipman

Astonishing Member The_Greatest_Username's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by !Pharozonk! View Post
    Maybe the real Wally will return?
    If nothing else, nuWally needs to be rapidly aged (to about 20-22) with some life experience thrown in there.

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    I'm not crying, your crying.

Incredible Member PennyDreadful's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mermaid View Post
    If nothing else, nuWally needs to be rapidly aged (to about 20-22) with some life experience thrown in there.
    And drop the stereotypical street-hood behavior. Back away from that portrayal ASAP. I've said it before; I will say it again. I have no problem with Wally being black. I don't want him reduced to a stereotype. And I would've preferred he be 16-18 rather than 12.

Every time I get too ticked off about Wally, I remember what they did to poor Bart Allen. OY. A well-loved character and what did they do? And honestly...all the characters from the old DCU are gone unless they're connected to Batman. None of them are recognizable. I guess that's what Wally represents: why people liked those characters. That, IMO, is something DC's current management doesn't get.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by PennyDreadful View Post
    And honestly...all the characters from the old DCU are gone unless they're connected to Batman. None of them are recognizable. I guess that's what Wally represents: why people liked those characters. That, IMO, is something DC's current management doesn't get.
    Batman and Hal Jordan, Kyle Rayner, John Stewart, Guy Gardner, Buddy Baker (Animal Man), Swamp Thing, Batwoman, Aquaman, and a whole bunch of others. DC changed Superman and a bunch of the teen heroes around (I've never read Wonder Woman so I don't know about her) but otherwise left more big names alone than they changed. Wally is by far the biggest change that any major character got and thats whats frustrating - beyond just the race swap they've de-aged him, changed his origin, and for all intents made him a wholly new character.

MFitzh2o

Hey, thinking of Wally, anyone out here know if he ended up with half the Icicle's fortune or not? I'm not sure how that thread panned out...

And drop the stereotypical street-hood behavior. Back away from that portrayal ASAP. I've said it before; I will say it again. I have no problem with Wally being black. I don't want him reduced to a stereotype. And I would've preferred he be 16-18 rather than 12.

Every time I get too ticked off about Wally, I remember what they did to poor Bart Allen. OY. A well-loved character and what did they do? And honestly...all the characters from the old DCU are gone unless they're connected to Batman. None of them are recognizable. I guess that's what Wally represents: why people liked those characters. That, IMO, is something DC's current management doesn't get.
    To me in the visual medium that is comics, the most iconic looking thing about a character IE Wally being ginger is incredible important. Gingers are minority to.

Ditto on the rest tho. Jesus poor Bart, I feel really bad for him.

Astonishing Member The_Greatest_Username's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JediMindTrick View Post
    Batman and Hal Jordan, Kyle Rayner, John Stewart, Guy Gardner, Buddy Baker (Animal Man), Swamp Thing, Batwoman, Aquaman, and a whole bunch of others. DC changed Superman and a bunch of the teen heroes around (I've never read Wonder Woman so I don't know about her) but otherwise left more big names alone than they changed. Wally is by far the biggest change that any major character got and thats whats frustrating - beyond just the race swap they've de-aged him, changed his origin, and for all intents made him a wholly new character.
    Yeah, making him an entirely different character is what gets me. If they had just made him bi-racial and left it at that, I wouldn't be bothered. Instead, they changed EVERYTHING.

Quote Originally Posted by JediMindTrick View Post
    Preach it!

Incredible Member PennyDreadful's Avatar

To be fair, Wally's only appeared in about 3-4 pages in the new 52 so far. And, IIRC they made huge changes to Tim Drake. Also, Dick Grayson is being rebranded as a super-spy (or something). There are a whole bunch of characters (Black Canary, for instance) who seem to be nothing like their previous incarnations. (Oh, Dinah, what have they done to you?)

Right now, I'm iffy on new 52 Wally. Will it be a lazy portrayal or will they really make him a cool character? There have been a lot of cool directions not taken in the DCNu, alas. As I said, I hope they abandon the street-hooligan portrayal very, very soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Trevel8182 View Post
    To me in the visual medium that is comics, the most iconic looking thing about a character IE Wally being ginger is incredible important. Gingers are minority to.

Ditto on the rest tho. Jesus poor Bart, I feel really bad for him.
    Redheads make up 1-2% of the human population and ostracized and are bullied much more than other minorities in America today.

And t what you said about comics being a visual medium, the visual design of the character in comics is just as important as the written part. And completely 86ing a character design is a blatant disrespect to the artist who created the character.
    Last edited by KurtW95; 05-15-2014 at 01:24 PM.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

To be fair, Wally's only appeared in about 3-4 pages in the new 52 so far. And, IIRC they made huge changes to Tim Drake. Also, Dick Grayson is being rebranded as a super-spy (or something). There are a whole bunch of characters (Black Canary, for instance) who seem to be nothing like their previous incarnations. (Oh, Dinah, what have they done to you?)

Right now, I'm iffy on new 52 Wally. Will it be a lazy portrayal or will they really make him a cool character? There have been a lot of cool directions not taken in the DCNu, alas. As I said, I hope they abandon the street-hooligan portrayal very, very soon.
    I really hope that they have a new Crisis that brings back the old universe so we can have Wally, Dinah and all the other characters back. Or at least give us a universe closer to the one that we had before.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

BANNED

Wally 'Ginger' West fan
    Along one of the Birkeland Currents that traverse the Milky Way. I forget the exact cross streets.

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    Redheads make up 1-2% of the human population and ostracized and are bullied much more than other minorities in America today.

And t what you said about comics being a visual medium, the visual design of the character in comics is just as important as the written part. And completely 86ing a character design is a blatant disrespect to the artist who created the character.
    And to the fans who loved the character as is. If I wanted Wally to come back with such drastic differences, I would have fallen for a drastically different character in the first place.

Going by talking with others like me who 'found' Wally via the animated show and thereby the DCU book version, this new "Wally" is not wanted.
    If anyone has to say that these 'others' are racists? Well, I wouldn't know. I only know them by typed messages. Maybe they are. Maybe they are not. All I know is that we miss red-haired, 20-something, Nebraska-born, worrywart Wally Rudolph West. The Wally in those pic scans above this post. (Thank you for that, btw)

Miss him so much it hurts.

Looks now like that hurt will never be soothed; even the animated department is going all DC52-ified to the point I no longer have any interest in adding to my collection there either.
    Parental care is way exhausting. Gained insight into what my parents went through when I was a baby. Not fun, but what ya gonna do? (Read comics, obviously.)

Always Rakzo

I think I created this thread for a reason but I don't quite remember why...