Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default Axel-In-Charge: Preparing for the "Ultimate End"

Axel Alonso talks Marvel's announcement of "Ultimate End" by Brian Michael Bendis and Mark Bagley, and the latest in "Secret Wars" news.

Full article here.

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

Then there's Joyboy, also curious about "Secret Wars": "Post-'Secret Wars,' will the new Marvel Universe have characters from other universes incorporated like Earth X, MC2, and Shadowline? Or only the Ultimate Universe?" (That's the Shadowline that was part of Epic Comics in the late 1980s, natch.)

Alonso: "Battleworld" is the new Marvel Universe, so it will.
    Pretty much one of the closest confirmations so far that Battleworld is sticking around past Secret Wars in my opinion.

Well, at least Magneto seems like he will have a baddass end trying to keep both Earths from crashing. He won't die like a sheep, you have to respect that.

Astonishing Member legion_quest's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Metaltron View Post
    Pretty much one of the closest confirmations so far that Battleworld is sticking around past Secret Wars in my opinion.
    If that is the case, Im going to predict it wont last longer than a year and is, for my money, a bigger mistake than anything else.

If the Marvel Universe stops being a reflection of the 'world outside my window' and just becomes a hodge podge of random universes forever crossing over in to each other......yeah, I have zero interest in that long term and would suspect a lot of long term fans feel the same.

The more they keep pushing 'Battleworld' the more I keep thinking how much this sounds like fanfic wank writing rather than a serious direction for the market leader.
    I will raise my throne above the Stars of God

BANNED

Finally, TresDias has a question about, you guessed it, "Secret Wars": "I'm currently a little unclear about the differences in the three tie-in imprints for 'Secret Wars,' and I've noticed others sharing my confusion. The idea of 'Last Days' is obvious, of course, but the descriptions thus far for the 'Battleworld' and 'Warzones' imprints sound identical (e.g. interactions between territories; some may focus on a single territory, others may focus on more than one; etc.). Can you clear up the confusion, please?"

Alonso: Right now we've only announced "Last Days" and "Battleworld" titles. Once we get around to announcing the "Warzones" titles, it will all become clear. For now, let's just say that "Battleworld" books deal with the inner workings of Battleworld. If you're curious about the infrastructure of the planet, this is the place to learn more about it. What are the territories, and who governs them? Who polices Battleworld? How do various territories interact, and what happens when two go to war? In contrast, "Warzones" titles are huge, self-contained event-sized stories that take place on Battleworld, but ultimately tell a story that stands on its own two feet. And each and every one of them will lay down abuilding block – or blocks – for the future.
    Major thanks to Axel for answering my question. I guess that clears it up well enough until we see some examples of "Warzones!" titles.

Quote Originally Posted by legion_quest View Post
    If that is the case, Im going to predict it wont last longer than a year and is, for my money, a bigger mistake than anything else.

If the Marvel Universe stops being a reflection of the 'world outside my window' and just becomes a hodge podge of random universes forever crossing over in to each other......yeah, I have zero interest in that long term and would suspect a lot of long term fans feel the same.

The more they keep pushing 'Battleworld' the more I keep thinking how much this sounds like fanfic wank writing rather than a serious direction for the market leader.
    I do respect how some people feel uncomfortable with the idea of Battleworld sticking around but the way I see it, there's a lot of promise for some very new and very different ideas here. Marvel writers have had over seventy five years to tell stories on Earth and by getting the chance to significantly increase the awareness of other dimensions like 2099, AOA, Old Man Logan and others by having them exist alongside 616, together with entirely new universes, Marvel will get to do some impressive moves as a result.

That saying, if Battleworld is sticking around for the time being - I think it is - I suspect they do have something in mind for more conventional stories. My theory is we'll get a MCU selection of comics to replace the Ultimate line. Whilst Battleworld remains as a place to do new things and retain lots of elements from 616 at the same time. This would appeal far more to me than a mere merged rebooted New 52 Earth.

The Best There Is berserkerclaw's Avatar

I wonder if Warzones will debut in may as well. An, anthology battleworld plus three last days so far. I'm really curious for may, books. Mainly the main 5 X-Men titles. And the fate of Wolverine's
    X-Men Forever

Quote Originally Posted by berserkerclaw View Post
    I wonder if Warzones will debut in may as well. An, anthology battleworld plus three last days so far. I'm really curious for may, books. Mainly the main 5 X-Men titles. And the fate of Wolverine's
    As far as I can tell there's going to be a selection of all three across the five months Secret Wars is running. May I suspect will be mostly Last Days since Battleworld doesn't kick off until #2. As for the X-Men titles there are rumours that some of the teasers will be in current books, like Renew Your Vows in Slott's ASM. But others could have minis. Really excited for Years of Future Past and X-Men '92 especially, two of my favourite X-Men eras!

BANNED

I do respect how some people feel uncomfortable with the idea of Battleworld sticking around but the way I see it, there's a lot of promise for some very new and very different ideas here. Marvel writers have had over seventy five years to tell stories on Earth and by getting the chance to significantly increase the awareness of other dimensions like 2099, AOA, Old Man Logan and others by having them exist alongside 616, together with entirely new universes, Marvel will get to do some impressive moves as a result.

That saying, if Battleworld is sticking around for the time being - I think it is - I suspect they do have something in mind for more conventional stories. My theory is we'll get a MCU selection of comics to replace the Ultimate line. Whilst Battleworld remains as a place to do new things and retain lots of elements from 616 at the same time. This would appeal far more to me than a mere merged rebooted New 52 Earth.
    Like you, I respect the effort to try something new here. I've just not been convinced by anything I've heard so far that the long-term plan doesn't include a New Earth-style reboot as a serious consideration. I'd be surprised if the outline of a plot for that isn't already waiting in the wings just in case they need it.

I predict they'll give the Battleworld status quo a year to see if it's at least as successful as what stood before. If it isn't, they'll settle on it having been a worthwhile experiment, then develop a story that restores an Earth-based setting within the following year.

Quote Originally Posted by TresDias View Post
    Like you, I respect the effort to try something new here. I've just not been convinced by anything I've heard so far that the long-term plan doesn't include a New Earth-style reboot as a serious consideration. I'd be surprised if the outline of a plot for that isn't already waiting in the wings just in case they need it.

I predict they'll give the Battleworld status quo a year to see if it's at least as successful as what stood before. If it isn't, they'll settle on it having been a worthwhile experiment, then develop a story that restores an Earth-based setting within the following year.
    I would be fine with around a year, about the same time frame as Superior Spider-Man or Dark Reign's run, before they start something to shift things back to something more conventional, but which will retain the elements which Marvel has considered most loved and accessible.

The Best There Is berserkerclaw's Avatar

As far as I can tell there's going to be a selection of all three across the five months Secret Wars is running. May I suspect will be mostly Last Days since Battleworld doesn't kick off until #2. As for the X-Men titles there are rumours that some of the teasers will be in current books, like Renew Your Vows in Slott's ASM. But others could have minis. Really excited for Years of Future Past and X-Men '92 especially, two of my favourite X-Men eras!
    Yeah. Secret wars #2 is end of may since #1 and 2 ship in may. So i can see waiting till June for Warzones inhumans Attilan rising ships in may so there maybe a few others since that was one of the teasers along with as, you said renew your vows and x-men 92
    X-Men Forever

Alonso: Man, the more I think about it... I'm gonna miss Miles...
    Uh-huh. I see what you did there.

notfoolinganyone.jpg
    "Ignore them. They're nothing but a bunch of basement dwellers who spend all day whining on the 'net. Not a single open-minded one in the bunch."
    --Andre Briggs, Justice League International #1

Astonishing Member Lady Warp Spasm's Avatar

Acuna's art is so cool, hopefully post Secret Wars/Battlefield he'll be back on a book I'll read.
    archer * magician *soldier * spy

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by legion_quest View Post

I must wholeheartedly agree with you. The strength of the MU is, like you say, the world outside the window. I also will not be interested if the Battleworld somehow becomes the new MU from then on.

Fantastic Member

I still want to know if Inhumans: AR is a replacement for the main book of if we'll have three at once.