Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Amazing Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    88

    Question The Multiversity Guidebook, Convergence, And The Return Of Hypertime

    One of the things overlooked in The Multiversity Guidebook is Grant Morrison's re-introduction of Hypertime back into the DC Multiverse.

    Is this the connection between Multiversity and Convergence?

  2. #2
    BANNED colonyofcells's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    4,586

    Default

    I don't believe hypertime ever went away. Writers could always visit any alternate earth or timeline they wanted for any story. Writers can have good memories and as long as writers remember some elseworlds, they can always use whatever is needed for a current story. Some writers like to use stuff from the 1940s, some writers like to use imaginary stories from the 1950s, etc. For example, I remember the stories about the descendant of superman vs Muto and I could even combine that into a Legion story.
    http://comicboxcommentary.blogspot.c...erman-137.html
    Last edited by colonyofcells; 01-30-2015 at 07:29 PM.

  3. #3
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    324

    Default

    He used the name Hypertime, but just as a term for where the multiverse exists, without the previously mentioned possibility of reaching an infinite number of worlds and timelines through it. So, although it's a neat reference, it's not exactly the same yet.

  4. #4
    Invincible Member MajorHoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    24,021

    Default

    Why did I think this thread was titled The Multiversity Cookbook for a moment?

  5. #5
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    163

    Default

    I would read The Multiversity Cookbook.

  6. #6
    Sun of the Mourning Montressor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    829

    Default

    As far as I'm concerned Hypertime never left. It was such a brilliant, yet common sense concept, and it allowed for everything to be in continuity.

    It was one of the few times in recent memory my mind was blown in a comic book.
    Read my free superhero webcomic, The Ill!

    http://theill.thecomicseries.com/comics/540/

  7. #7
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    419

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Montressor View Post
    As far as I'm concerned Hypertime never left. It was such a brilliant, yet common sense concept, and it allowed for everything to be in continuity.
    This. In fact, I find Hypertime to be better than the Multiverse concept, since it allows for non-DC characters and concepts to also be in-continuity.

  8. #8
    Astonishing Member Dataweaver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    3,619

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NeonZ View Post
    He used the name Hypertime, but just as a term for where the multiverse exists, without the previously mentioned possibility of reaching an infinite number of worlds and timelines through it. So, although it's a neat reference, it's not exactly the same yet.
    Considering that Grant Morrison (co-)created Hypertime in the first place, I see no reason to doubt that it isn’t exactly what it says on the tin. And it’s not speculation to say that Hypertime never went away — or at least that if it was gone at all, it was reintroduced well before this reference to it: in 52, Skeets referred to Waverider as “the seer of Hypertime”; and in Booster Gold, a future Booster talked about pruning Hypertime.

    So yeah; Hypertime never really went away. DC simply backed off from publishing it. And yes, I definitely see a connection between Hypertime and Convergence.

    What Guidebook to the Multiverse established, though, was that the Orrery of Worlds isn’t contained in a single hypertimeline: presumably, each Earth exists in a separate hypertimeline. That said, its reference to how ordered and structured the Multiverse is heavily implies that while the 52 Earths of the Orrery are separate branches in Hypertime, they aren’t independent branches — and that’s what distinguishes the 52 from the rest of Hypertime.

    IOW, the Multiverse is a subset of Hypertime.
    Rogue wears rouge.
    Angel knows all the angles.

  9. #9
    BANNED colonyofcells's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    4,586

    Default

    Hypertime probably has lots of alternate multiverses and other alternate earths.

  10. #10
    BANNED
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    292

    Default

    An article i came across yesterday reminded me of the Hypertime concept.


    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...-universe.html

    Is your future already decided? New theory of time suggests that the past, present AND future co-exist in the universe
    A Massachusetts Institute of Technology professor of philosophy has presented a new theory of time
    Dr Bradford Skow says the idea that time flows like a river is not correct
    Instead he claims space-time is a 'block universe' where the past, present and future all exist together
    If we were to look down upon the universe, we would see time spread out
    But he adds the present is not a 'spotlight' in time - but rather we are in a 'temporally scattered' condition

    he favours a theory known as the ‘block universe’, which states that the past, present and future already exist.
    Dr Skow said that he does not think events sail past us and vanish forever - instead, they exist in different parts of space-time.
    ‘The block universe theory says you’re spread out in time, something like the way you’re spread out in space,' Dr Skow said.
    ‘We’re not located at a single time.’
    Instead he says we are in a 'temporarily scattered' condition.
    He asserts that our passage through space-time is not like a spotlight - and the experiences you had yesterday, last week, or even years ago are all real.
    But he says time travel between the different times is not possible, as we are now in a different part of space-time.

  11. #11
    Sun of the Mourning Montressor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    829

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rightsuperhero View Post
    An article i came across yesterday reminded me of the Hypertime concept.


    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...-universe.html

    Is your future already decided? New theory of time suggests that the past, present AND future co-exist in the universe
    A Massachusetts Institute of Technology professor of philosophy has presented a new theory of time
    Dr Bradford Skow says the idea that time flows like a river is not correct
    Instead he claims space-time is a 'block universe' where the past, present and future all exist together
    If we were to look down upon the universe, we would see time spread out
    But he adds the present is not a 'spotlight' in time - but rather we are in a 'temporally scattered' condition

    he favours a theory known as the ‘block universe’, which states that the past, present and future already exist.
    Dr Skow said that he does not think events sail past us and vanish forever - instead, they exist in different parts of space-time.
    ‘The block universe theory says you’re spread out in time, something like the way you’re spread out in space,' Dr Skow said.
    ‘We’re not located at a single time.’
    Instead he says we are in a 'temporarily scattered' condition.
    He asserts that our passage through space-time is not like a spotlight - and the experiences you had yesterday, last week, or even years ago are all real.
    But he says time travel between the different times is not possible, as we are now in a different part of space-time.
    I've believed this since childhood, and my nerd friends and I would often get into discussions of the concept of time and how we imagined it worked (heaping doses of Dr. Who, Buck Rogers, and ideas like the Multiverse were huge factors). I've even written the idea into the webcomic I do monthly.

    I'm no scientist, but I find it to be a fascinating concept and exactly how I imagine 'the timestream' would work.
    Read my free superhero webcomic, The Ill!

    http://theill.thecomicseries.com/comics/540/

  12. #12
    Traveler of omniverses Thor-Ul's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Halfway between Asgard & Krypton
    Posts
    3,775

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rightsuperhero View Post
    An article i came across yesterday reminded me of the Hypertime concept.


    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...-universe.html

    Is your future already decided? New theory of time suggests that the past, present AND future co-exist in the universe
    A Massachusetts Institute of Technology professor of philosophy has presented a new theory of time
    Dr Bradford Skow says the idea that time flows like a river is not correct
    Instead he claims space-time is a 'block universe' where the past, present and future all exist together
    If we were to look down upon the universe, we would see time spread out
    But he adds the present is not a 'spotlight' in time - but rather we are in a 'temporally scattered' condition

    he favours a theory known as the ‘block universe’, which states that the past, present and future already exist.
    Dr Skow said that he does not think events sail past us and vanish forever - instead, they exist in different parts of space-time.
    ‘The block universe theory says you’re spread out in time, something like the way you’re spread out in space,' Dr Skow said.
    ‘We’re not located at a single time.’l
    Instead he says we are in a 'temporarily scattered' condition.
    He asserts that our passage through space-time is not like a spotlight - and the experiences you had yesterday, last week, or even years ago are all real.
    But he says time travel between the different times is not possible, as we are now in a different part of space-time.
    Dr Manhattan approves this theory.

    The way how time works it depends on the universe shape. That why Einstein stablished than time and space are intrinsically tied. And explain why we usually have no consensus about the difference between an alternate timeline and alternate universe. And why sometime an alternate timeline it becomes an alternate earth.

    Now, fo the DC multiverse, hypertime is an interesting way to put everything in existence, but it was a tool to bring back the multiverse without use the word multiverse, when "multiverse" was a banned word in DC. Would work today in this multiverse? Yes, indeed. It still serves to put everything in context but think this way: every universe have its own shape and thus their own time and their are also contained inside other higher dimension (hypertime then?). This would explain why in some earths events happened before or after. Every universe would have differente time speeds and physical laws.
    Last edited by Thor-Ul; 01-31-2015 at 08:54 AM.
    "But it's the fool who ponders on "what ifs" and "might have beens" for overly long?"
    Richard Swift (The Shade #11).

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •