Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    All-New Member

Default Which Wonderwoman Villain has the most potential to be elevated to Public Consciousness? How?

Reading Pandora's latest issue I noticed that Giganta's origin, to the best of my knowledge was changed. Cheetahs current origin is also different from what I remember. Of course this is the new 52 and new stuff isn't unexpected. But that's not the point; different mediums alter all sorts of crap. No, my question is: do such changes lead to or move away from a villain become part of the public consciousness? If yes, what tools are on hand, for DC or Marvel, to elevate a characters status in the eyes of the often fickle public? Which current or past villain seems like a good choice to be the face of Wonderwoman's rogue gallery? I mean, I would assume it's her most prominent enemy, but a character with more personality could easily garner more receptiveness. So...I guess another question is which villains personality would be best in a movie?

>>>

Extraordinary Member

Circe.

Get someone famous to play her on screen.

I would have said Angelina Jolie, but she is already doing the same thing with Maleficent and is unlikely to double up.

Catherine Zeta Jones?

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    Circe.

Get someone famous to play her on screen.

I would have said Angelina Jolie, but she is already doing the same thing with Maleficent and is unlikely to double up.

Catherine Zeta Jones?
    Yep, I think Circe could have a great potential.

Anyway, I think that also a character like Strife could shine in a movie, if played by a good actress.

She is one of my favourite character in this run. She pulls the strings from behind, acting sometimes as villain, sometimes as 'friend', but at the end only for her own amusement and aims.

Plus, with her lies and her manipulations, she is the opposite of Diana, known for truth, trust and honesty.

She is also quite 'known' to the public as the goddess responsible for starting the war of Troy.
    Last edited by BlackFeath; 05-03-2014 at 05:25 AM.
    "Sometimes, it's best not to be who we are...but who we aspire to be". (Wonder Woman, Wonder Woman #23)

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Circe or Dr. Cyber
    both of them are visually interesting and don't require a lot of explaining as to why they are a believable obstacle to a goddess (Diana). This is a problem with a lot of the other members of WW's rogues gallery.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

I think the Cheetah's already taken this prize.

#ChooseCheetah!
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post

#ChooseCheetah!
    Disagree, sorry. To much similarity to Catwoman for people to see her as a distinct villain. Plus the inevitable catfight comments.

Circe is the natural antithesis of Wonder Woman - aggressively sexual, manipulative, and relies on magic rather than skill as a warrior.

Of course, who wouldn't want to see Peter Dinklage as Dr Psycho.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post

#ChooseCheetah!
    Agreed. I mean, it's not saying much, but still

Circe was a big deal for a decade or so, but not much has been done with her since, and she has a long way to go before she catches up with Cheetah or Ares in the other media department.

Cassandra and The First Born.
    "It is the dawn that brings the pain, the night that brings the dream."

"Come find me when you wake up."

Ultimate Member

Circe. She's got the potential to be a fascinating and yet terrifying villain. I'd personally recommend Eva Green to play her.

Ares has potential as well. He IS war itself. It would be so easy to make him into a threat not just to WW, but to the DC heroes as a whole.

Cheetah could also work, but that would depend on how they adapt her.

I was going to say Ares, but isn't he already popular? (Though that's only due to his status as a greek god and not a WW villain.)

I'd say Circe, followed by Cheetah and Giganta (if only for the 'kaiju'-esque battles audiences got get out of her.)

Extraordinary Member

Peter Dinklage is hot property right now.

Cast him as Dr Psycho and that's probably another $50 million at the box office right there.

I think there is a lot of potential in Dr. Psycho. In many ways, he's every bad opinion the Amazons have about men all rolled up together. There's a lot of commentary to be pulled from the character, and his powerset offers a great challenge to Diana. A good actor (Peter Dinklage would be a great choice) with the right script would add a sense of the horror genre and stick out in the minds of the general audience, who have largely been treated to villains far less "personal" in their aims.

Cheetah is likely the villain with the most name recognition among the masses, but that's not saying much. Still, with the right concept she could work pretty well. Though personally, I dont think she's unique enough to put in the effort.

Circe....she's been badly used for years, but the scornful goddess concept plays really well as a "dark reflection" to Diana, and thus is worth the effort to make her a big name. But I think she'd need a complete make-over; the way she was written after Rucka's run was....disappointing.

Ares would of course be an obvious and easy villain to use, and he's infinitely better known. Personally, I like him as the frenemy who wants Diana to take his place over the two-dimensional "Im evil cause war is bad!" villain. But hey, it'd be easy to cast, easy to work with, and he's clearly and obviously a major threat.

Really, with the right hook any of her rogues could work, its just a matter of deciding what themes you want to use and which villain can fit that mold. But I gotta say, perhaps the best villain WB could introduce? Mouse Man.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

BANNED

Apollo
    Circe
    Dr. Cyber (just give her a suit like the one Raiden has in mgsr and 2 swords)
    Genocide
    Queen of fables

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    Circe. She's got the potential to be a fascinating and yet terrifying villain. I'd personally recommend Eva Green to play her.

Ares has potential as well. He IS war itself. It would be so easy to make him into a threat not just to WW, but to the DC heroes as a whole.

Cheetah could also work, but that would depend on how they adapt her.
    I would have to say its those 2 as well, I think they have the most potential over to create a epic world ending type threat.

The issue with Circe is... c'mon now, what are they going to do with her? She hasn't had motivation for going after Wonder Woman in a long time. Even now, I can't remember why she hates her. If they don't even know what to do with Wonder Woman in the cinematic universe, how would they know what to do with a character like Circe?