Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Superman & Wonder Woman #8 (SPOILERS)

Diana mind raping a soldier was the stand out of this issue. Azzarello was really a genius when he made her the God of War.

The story is picking the pace now, this was a good issue.
    "It is the dawn that brings the pain, the night that brings the dream."

"Come find me when you wake up."

Quote Originally Posted by SofNascimento View Post
    Diana mind raping a soldier was the stand out of this issue. Azzarello was really a genius when he made her the God of War.

Yeah, 'cuz Wonder Woman really needed more powers.

I liked the issue. But it does feel a lot like "Superman co-starring Wonder Woman." We got a Superman arc the first 6 issues, and now another one for the next 6 issues... if Wonder Woman doesn't get the arc focus next, I'll probably stop reading it (even though I love Soule, I can get mah Soule goodness with She-Hulk).

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Flatman View Post

I liked the issue. But it does feel a lot like "Superman co-starring Wonder Woman." We got a Superman arc the first 6 issues, and now another one for the next 6 issues... if Wonder Woman doesn't get the arc focus next, I'll probably stop reading it (even though I love Soule, I can get mah Soule goodness with She-Hulk).
    It's a superman book, I don't even know if I can hope for something WW centric, its all about WW love for Superman.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Flatman View Post

The villains being Superman centric doesn't bother me. Because using her lasso Diana subdued Zod when no one else could. Her mythos provided the armour and the invisible transportation and it was her sword that made the nuclear explosion that ended the threat. Which wouldn't have been as great, so soon, without Apollo amping up Zod and Faora's powers.

In the end it winds up being fair.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by SofNascimento View Post

I think her "Jedi mind trick" or "Aquaman with soldiers, not fish" power is an interesting and somewhat logical development of her role of god of war--but I really hope it won't play out as "mind rape"! I'd rather it be a form of persuasion that works because soldiers who have any kind of positive military ideals--like an ethic of service and protection--can sense that she embodies those ideals, so they want to help her.

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Oh, look at that! Wonder Woman fought a Doomsday who was EVEN STRONGER than the one in SM/WW #2 and she didn't get swatted like a fly and held her own admirably!

It's almost like someone predicted this a long time ago. Who was that guy?

Oh! Was it me?
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Tiara View Post
    The villains being Superman centric doesn't bother me. Because using her lasso Diana subdued Zod when no one else could. Her mythos provided the armour and the invisible transportation and it was her sword that made the nuclear explosion that ended the threat. Which wouldn't have been as great, so soon, without Apollo amping up Zod and Faora's powers.

In the end it winds up being fair.
    This book feels like Superman: Arkham Asylum, you know like the Batman videogames where he encounters most of his rogues gallery in the same night? We also have WW in it, and she provides all the things you mentioned while at the same time the writer is trying to appease her fans by calling her the best soldier and other such fanservice. Using Zod and Faora after the MoS movie is a gimmick too, but it wouldnt have been so bad if they were used well.

What would have been ideal is if they used a secondary SM villain, with a secondary WW villain teaming up against them. Or maybe a villain of the month kind of book with villains from both galleries making appearences.

Right now, it's Superman:Arkham Asylum (which by itself means the plot is a horrible mess that is trying to facilitate all these villains in the same story), and "ssssh WW fans, she's so cool, she beat up Zod and kicked X and punched Y. She's cool you see, sssshh..."

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    Oh, look at that! Wonder Woman fought a Doomsday who was EVEN STRONGER than the one in SM/WW #2 and she didn't get swatted like a fly and held her own admirably!

Oh! Was it me?
    Doomsday single handedly beat up all of earth's defenses and then killed Superman. When he appears, it should be an earth shattering, pants pissing event. But what do i know? This is the new52 where even Darkseid becomes a punching bag.

Oh! Was it me?
    So how does that make sense? Wonder Woman didn't change, but her adversary did into something even more formidable, and yet she fares better? Doesn't seem logical to me. Also puzzling is the whole strategy here. Like, what ever happened to getting and using Olympian made weapons and armor for a fight with Doomsday?

Why not use Superman as a lure to bring Doomsday to Paradise Island's Doom's Door to trap him there with the other monsters? Is the Phantom Zone operational?
    Last edited by misslane; 05-14-2014 at 11:03 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Hurt View Post
    Doomsday single handedly beat up all of earth's defenses and then killed Superman. When he appears, it should be an earth shattering, pants pissing event. But what do i know? This is the new52 where even Darkseid becomes a punching bag.
    yeah, if you read doomed you will see how anti climatic it was.

also it was nothing like this fight http://jayb3.tumblr.com/post/8573095...-kristaferanka
    aand superman helped her. with her scream (lol) doomsday was like bye girl and dissappeared

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Hurt View Post

I thought they did a good job of making him seem formidable, with the whole death aura and being a more evolved form of the old Doomsday. It's not like Wonder Woman beat him, and there was a lot of talk about only Superman being able to actually kill Doomsday.

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksun View Post
    also it was nothing like this fight http://jayb3.tumblr.com/post/8573095...-kristaferanka
    Those Gifs are epic. I love that commercial (Though I wish they made Diana's face more attractive. lol.)
    Richard Alexander

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by misslane View Post
    So how does that make sense? Wonder Woman didn't change, but her adversary did into something even more formidable, and yet she fares better? Doesn't seem logical to me. Also puzzling is the whole strategy here. Like, what ever happened to getting and using Olympian made weapons and armor for a fight with Doomsday?

The first time Diana was unprepared to fight something as badass as Doomsday. She didn't know what she was up against, so she woefully underestimated what needed to be done to take him down. This time? She knew darn well to bring her "A" game right out of the box.

Another explanation would, of course, be to invoke that stupid "Heroes are only as powerful as the story needs them to be" explanation. But, obviously, I'm not a fan of that stupidity. I much prefer my explanation above. Saying that Wonder Woman can be strong enough to take on Superman in one story, only to have her suddenly be seriously challenged by a much weaker foe in the next is just lazy storytelling in my book. However, ANYONE can underestimate a new opponent that he/she has never fought before.

As for the weapons and armor thing? They armor seemed to be one-use kind of things. They used them against Zod and Faora, and apparently they never found the time to place another order for a new set with Hephaestus. Remember, apparently Forever Evil happened shortly after the Zod/Faora fight.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

As for the weapons and armor thing? They armor seemed to be one-use kind of things. They used them against Zod and Faora, and apparently they never found the time to place another order for a new set with Hephaestus. Remember, apparently Forever Evil happened shortly after the Zod/Faora fight.
    Gosh that just highlights the silliness of the disposable armor thing even more. What a waste! Also, the timing doesn't matter. Originally, Superman and Wonder Woman went for armor when they had no idea if Doomsday would attack again at any moment, so anytime is a good time. At the very least, additional precautions should have been taken or other armor sought. For example, if Kryptonians benefit from being supercharged with solar energy, find a way to get some of that (maybe from the contraption Superman used to heal).

Quote Originally Posted by misslane View Post

Why not use Superman as a lure to bring Doomsday to Paradise Island's Doom's Door to trap him there with the other monsters? Is the Phantom Zone operational?
    Well...the first time she was not prepared, and in a certain sense she changed, since she wasn't god of war before.

They used the armors against Zod and Faora, and then they were destroyed. From what Zod said they believed Doomsday wouldn't have returned, so they didn't ask Haephestus to make other armors, and when they discovered that Doomsday had returned, there wasn't the time to go there and ask him, since Doomsday was already destroying everything.
    If I am not wrong, Doomsday was in the Phantom Zone, but for a certain reason it was able to escape and then return to Earth, so the Phantom Zone was not a right choice.
    Doom's door I don't think it would have been the right choice either, since a 'normal monster' was able to escape from there.
    I don't think a prison would have been enough for Doomsday in this case, since it was able to disappear and reappear in another location at will.

Anyway, good issues for me. Liked Diana's new power and that she was able to make Superman return to his senses.

About the disguise thing. It is not realistic, I agree. It is not realistic for Clark too, since different hair and glass can do so much.
    I think the only way one can think of this working is that people don't believe that Superman, Wonder Woman, ecc... have a normal life, since they do not wear a mask. It is different for normal celebrities, they are humans, Superman and Wonder Woman are not seen as humans in this world. For them Superman and Wonder Woman are always Superman and Wonder Woman, so even if they see a woman that looks almost like her and that has her boots, they think "Na...Wonder Woman here? She can't be her, she will be a fan".
    I would have liked a magical object to disguise her presence too, though, but I don't think we will ever get that.
    "Sometimes, it's best not to be who we are...but who we aspire to be". (Wonder Woman, Wonder Woman #23)