Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksun View Post
    but they are fleshed out characters, not just poor cameos without names.

and what about diana saving lois, lois has powers she didn't needed WW to save her. of course another superman writer has to screw on lois. aff. after unchained I would think they would learn their lesson
    Yeah, I didn't understand why this was the way Diana and Lois had to meet up. Soule really couldn't come up with something better? It seems like a forced and contrived way to achieve his goal, which is to have some awkward conversation that raises the idea of Lois as romantically linked to Clark in some way (there's nothing going on between them, but apparently Clark likes to superdoom-drunk dial her to say what sounded like romantic or sexual things), and which develops/illustrates Diana's God of War status/abilities more. I think that could have all been achieved without Diana's motivation for getting face to face with Lois being that Lois needed help getting out of a predicament that we all know she could have handled herself with her psionic powers. It's also annoying that there's so much homogenization going on. Both Lois and Diana can manipulate minds, though Diana's power is obviously more limited, and both Lois and Superman are going through transformations into villains with Diana's role as God of War having some parallels as well.

The display of God of War powers was pretty neat. I wonder if that's something that was consulted with Azzarello. At this point, I wouldn't be surprised either way if that ability showed up in the WW title, or if it didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    The display of God of War powers was pretty neat. I wonder if that's something that was consulted with Azzarello. At this point, I wouldn't be surprised either way if that ability showed up in the WW title, or if it didn't.
    As I recall, Golden Age Wonder Woman had telepathic powers too (although it was through Amazon technology) so it's not that much of an innovation but more like a new exploration of an old feature IMO.
    Last edited by Typhoeus; 05-14-2014 at 07:25 PM.
    "If I wanted smooth,I'd be with Hal Jordan."

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

and what about diana saving lois, lois has powers she didn't needed WW to save her. of course another superman writer has to screw on lois. aff. after unchained I would think they would learn their lesson

Jimenez's Angle Man was very fleshed out and unique.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Uh, Angle Man has made numerous major appearances in Wonder Woman since the 60's.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Typhoeus View Post
    As I recall, Golden Age Wonder Woman had telepathic powers too (although is was through Amazon technology) so it's not that much of an innovation but more like a new exploration of an old feature IMO.
    It made me think of good old "mental radio " too. I think the innovative part is knowing all soldiers and being known and trusted by them. At the same time, that could also bexome a twist on her traditional knack for bringing out the best in people --Ny that being a soldier is always the best in people by any means, but I can imagine her using this power to urge people to act with "good Soldier " traits like courage and honor, while maybe also toning down bad warlike traits. Chiang did say that being a good influence is almost a superpower with her. Maybe it could be even more like a superpower now.

BANNED

for me it's not enough, I don't have inferioty complex.
    also Soule is getting ideas wrong from Azz, doing no justice in his book
    Well for this Wonder Woman fan it was like manna from Heaven. It's what I've been missing most since the start of the New 52, explanations. If Azzarello can't be bothered to provide them, I'm glad someone else is willing to do so. Personally I found the explanation for the God of War power was interesting and made a lot of sense. Even if it didn't, something is always better than nothing, especially when we've been stumbling around in the dark for so long.

Apparently I'm not the only one who feels this way. I made it to my lcs just before closing time and bought the last copy of Superman/Wonder Woman #8. There were still several copies of the latest issue of Wonder Woman left on the stands. The stack was so thick in fact, it was almost as if they haven't been touched at all. I realize Superman/Wonder Woman is part of a major Superman crossover, but issues #7 and 6 were sold out too and they were barely involved.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Tiara View Post
    We as Wonder Woman fans know and that's enough. It's not like we're getting classic Wonder Woman rogues elsewhere, or Diana giving pep talks to young girls or an explanation for God of War powers either, for that matter. Soule is fleshing out Azz's own concepts and it's refreshing to see.
    ooo burn...

i can say that even though i like azz's run, soule has been doing a better job of reintroducing WW centric plotspoints

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by misslane View Post
    But that's a contrivance of the plot. They could have gotten the upper hand just by being awesome, and if it actually was the key to their victory I'd think it was worth it. But they still lost, and it could have still given them that upper hand without requiring the contrivance of the armor being one use only and thus only useful for getting the upper hand once in one fight. What I'm saying, in other words, is that making the armor to use with Doomsday, then not using it with Doomsday, then contriving it to be one use only is clunky and contrived writing.
    Aren't all things in the book a contrivance of the plot? We could be reading about Toyman and the Prankster were it not for that.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    Jimenez's Angle Man was very fleshed out and unique.
    I'm talking about new 52

BANNED

Well for this Wonder Woman fan it was like manna from Heaven. It's what I've been missing most since the start of the New 52, explanations. If Azzarello can't be bothered to provide them, I'm glad someone else is willing to do so. Personally I found the explanation for the God of War power was interesting and made a lot of sense. Even if it didn't, something is always better than nothing, especially when we've been stumbling around in the dark for so long.

Apparently I'm not the only one who feels this way. I made it to my lcs just before closing time and bought the last copy of Superman/Wonder Woman #8. There were still several copies of the latest issue of Wonder Woman left on the stands. The stack was so thick in fact, it was almost as if they haven't been touched at all. I realize Superman/Wonder Woman is part of a major Superman crossover, but issues #7 and 6 were sold out too and they were barely involved.
    Azzarello has his slow wait that is better than things that doesn't make any sense. If WW can control soldiers, she can stop the war. pretty dumb

for sure i'm not the only one that feels this way too, Superman/WW is still new and doing crossovers with other superman books. Doomed had a big advertising in CBR. Last issue WW increased, one comic book shop doesn't say nothing about the rest.

BANNED

Azzarello has his slow wait that is better than things that doesn't make any sense. If WW can control soldiers, she can stop the war. pretty dumb

for sure i'm not the only one that feels this way too, Superman/WW is still new and doing crossovers with other superman books. Doomed had a big advertising in CBR. Last issue WW increased, one comic book shop doesn't say nothing about the rest.
    I find Azzarello's "slow wait" to be poor storytelling. Either tell the story or don't. Don't leave me to put the pieces together myself, if you're the author that's your job. I'm not paying 2.99 to write my own story.

WW said in 7 she can influence war, but probably not stop it outright.

Superman - "You've become the God of War? How does that work? Do people...pray to you? Are you supposed to make more war?"

Diana- "It's not like that. I'm the personification of an idea. I can feel war. I...understand it. Why it happens, where it happens. It's all very new. I want to try to change the idea, if I can. In some ways I get to decide how the world sees war. If I can, I'll end it forever, and if I can't, maybe I can pass along some of my understanding. Make it more of an absolute last resort."

As for my lcs it's the only one in my city and it sponsors by far the largest con in several nearby states.

Aren't all things in the book a contrivance of the plot? We could be reading about Toyman and the Prankster were it not for that.
    Yes, but you don't notice the flaws in the good ones.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by misslane View Post
    Yes, but you don't notice the flaws in the good ones.
    What's good is obviously left up to individual tastes. That's why some people actually seem to like Azzarello.

BANNED

I find Azzarello's "slow wait" to be poor storytelling. Either tell the story or don't. Don't leave me to put the pieces together myself, if you're the author that's your job. I'm not paying 2.99 to write my own story.

WW said in 7 she can influence war, but probably not stop it outright.

Superman - "You've become the God of War? How does that work? Do people...pray to you? Are you supposed to make more war?"

Diana- "It's not like that. I'm the personification of an idea. I can feel war. I...understand it. Why it happens, where it happens. It's all very new. I want to try to change the idea, if I can. In some ways I get to decide how the world sees war. If I can, I'll end it forever, and if I can't, maybe I can pass along some of my understanding. Make it more of an absolute last resort."

As for my lcs it's the only one in my city and it sponsors by far the largest con in several nearby states.
    that felt very shallow, I prefer wait for something be really well done