Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksun View Post
    Azzarello has his slow wait that is better than things that doesn't make any sense. If WW can control soldiers, she can stop the war. pretty dumb

for sure i'm not the only one that feels this way too, Superman/WW is still new and doing crossovers with other superman books. Doomed had a big advertising in CBR. Last issue WW increased, one comic book shop doesn't say nothing about the rest.
    i thought it was more of an influence (i.e jedi mind trick on weak willed) rather than control, but hey as i said we interpreted it differently.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Tiara View Post
    We as Wonder Woman fans know and that's enough. It's not like we're getting classic Wonder Woman rogues elsewhere, or Diana giving pep talks to young girls or an explanation for God of War powers either, for that matter. Soule is fleshing out Azz's own concepts and it's refreshing to see.

I think Soule has given us a lot of insight to things that Azzarello introduced. After reading the current issue of SM/WW, I'm actually intrigued by Diana being the God of War now, even though it goes against everything she stood for pre-Azzarello. I also liked seeing her use the Diana Prince ID even though editorial made Daniel use the Chiang non-disguise for her. I loved the ending where Diana was able to help Clark snap out of the Doomsday trance and get back to his usual self for a bit. That shows how strong the connection is between these two.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Black Angel View Post
    i thought it was more of an influence (i.e jedi mind trick on weak willed) rather than control, but hey as i said we interpreted it differently.
    It wasn't influence, she ordered him to do it. there is little to interpretation in this case

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    I think Soule has given us a lot of insight to things that Azzarello introduced. After reading the current issue of SM/WW, I'm actually intrigued by Diana being the God of War now, even though it goes against everything she stood for pre-Azzarello. I also liked seeing her use the Diana Prince ID even though editorial made Daniel use the Chiang non-disguise for her. I loved the ending where Diana was able to help Clark snap out of the Doomsday trance and get back to his usual self for a bit. That shows how strong the connection is between these two.
    of course, that would happen...obvious...I still do not buy it, ww and superman are clearly in other worlds.

I think Soule might be trampling Azzarello and himself with diana controlling the soldiers, let's see what happens
    Last edited by Blacksun; 05-15-2014 at 07:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by misslane View Post
    I guess, when I look back at how the armor has been used in the narrative thus far, it seems like a clunky plot device. Every time it was used, it wasn't really necessary. Superman and Wonder Woman could have fought Zod and Faora without special protection and nothing would have changed. Since the armor isn't key to the story and ultimately isn't necessary, then did it ever really need to exist at all? All it accomplished was getting Superman to meet Wonder Woman's family while setting up Apollo's behind-the-scenes maneuvering later. Did they really need the armor as an excuse to get from Point A to Point B?
    When do comic books follow any logic? I would just say sit back and let the good times roll. I completely forgot about the armor though.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    Oh, look at that! Wonder Woman fought a Doomsday who was EVEN STRONGER than the one in SM/WW #2 and she didn't get swatted like a fly and held her own admirably!

It's almost like someone predicted this a long time ago. Who was that guy?

Oh! Was it me?
    She didn't hold her own - she ducked out of the way, and the creature in question was holding back. Obviously, since it can move so fast it can snatch Wonder Woman's lasso out of her hand before she even knows it has moved.

So if it was you, you'll have to keep waiting.

how can you tell Doomsday was holding back?

BANNED

I like how she finally told Superman she loved him, after dodging him twice, and even then she said it indirectly. Our Diana is cooler than Han Solo. I also liked her confrontation with Batman, her "I always have a choice" and the way she glared at Batman until he backed down, this is the Diana I wish we got in her own book. She seems more capable and out of all the relationships she's had with men (Steve, Nemesis, Trevor Barnes, etc.) the one with Superman is the most romantic, believable and realistic. I thought her saying "The man worthy of my love is stronger than that." was very telling. I love this series!

I like how she finally told Superman she loved him, after dodging him twice, and even then she said it indirectly. Our Diana is cooler than Han Solo.
    What does coolness have to do with it? It's cool to not reciprocate an expression of love and then to wait until your reticence makes the person you love feel insecure and upset? It's nice that Diana finally said something, but the fact that it was after dodging it doesn't make it cooler than if she had just said it earlier.

I think Soule has given us a lot of insight to things that Azzarello introduced. After reading the current issue of SM/WW, I'm actually intrigued by Diana being the God of War now, even though it goes against everything she stood for pre-Azzarello.
    I thought the way Diana's God of War "powers" were portrayed was confusing. Being able to influence soldiers' minds isn't something that is going to impact war, because economic distress, religious or other differences, and political and economic forces are generally the roots of war; soldiers are just the pawns that those in power use to achieve their goals. I also think the idea that Diana would influence people to feel differently about war by manipulating their thoughts as directly as she did goes against the idea of free will and getting people to see the value in peace and war as a last resort on their own terms and not by force. So, hopefully, the way Diana used her "powers" in this instance was an exception, and her mission to redefine war as God of War will focus on the systemic causes of war as well as use methods which respect the value of persuasion through force of example and argument rather than the forced removal of free thought/will.

BANNED

What does coolness have to do with it? It's cool to not reciprocate an expression of love and then to wait until your reticence makes the person you love feel insecure and upset? It's nice that Diana finally said something, but the fact that it was after dodging it doesn't make it cooler than if she had just said it earlier.
    It makes more sense that way. After her relationship with Steve, she understandably wants to be more cautious and circumspect. You also have to consider her feelings concerning Superman's desire to keep their union a secret. She felt she was being hidden. Now they've reversed positions, Superman's speech about not being good enough confirmed it.

BANNED

worst part that this probably is the best relationship Diana ever had, First time editorial doesn't interfer and it still is very badly done. I mean after golden age, because steve-diana is the cutest couple under marston writing. Lies is cute like Barda-miracle Kirby

I thought the way Diana's God of War "powers" were portrayed was confusing. Being able to influence soldiers' minds isn't something that is going to impact war, because economic distress, religious or other differences, and political and economic forces are generally the roots of war; soldiers are just the pawns that those in power use to achieve their goals. I also think the idea that Diana would influence people to feel differently about war by manipulating their thoughts as directly as she did goes against the idea of free will and getting people to see the value in peace and war as a last resort on their own terms and not by force. So, hopefully, the way Diana used her "powers" in this instance was an exception, and her mission to redefine war as God of War will focus on the systemic causes of war as well as use methods which respect the value of persuasion through force of example and argument rather than the forced removal of free thought/will.
    ignore Soule, he was just trying to put WW one level above Lois in the power of control minds. Better wait for Azzarello defines it better
    Last edited by Blacksun; 05-15-2014 at 11:00 AM.

It makes more sense that way. After her relationship with Steve, she understandably wants to be more cautious and circumspect. You also have to consider her feelings concerning Superman's desire to keep their union a secret. She felt she was being hidden. Now they've reversed positions, Superman's speech about not being good enough confirmed it.
    Okay, but I wasn't discussing Diana's reasons for her behavior. I was questioning your labeling Diana's dodging as "cool." It may be understandable and sympathetic, but cool? I don't see it.

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    She didn't hold her own - she ducked out of the way, and the creature in question was holding back. Obviously, since it can move so fast it can snatch Wonder Woman's lasso out of her hand before she even knows it has moved.

So if it was you, you'll have to keep waiting.
    You apparently missed the part where she RAN HIM THROUGH with her sword.

And the part where she blocked a punch from Doomsday and didn't have her arms get broken again.

AND the part where she survived Doomsday's death field thing long enough to keep fighting him, where a lesser hero would've been killed in seconds.

And? As enish asked? Please, enlighten me. HOW do you get Doomsday holding back again? Doomsday NEVER "holds back."
    Last edited by Vanguard-01; 05-15-2014 at 01:39 PM.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Oh come on, there's no need to overthink this. Hades can call upon the dead, Poseidon the fish and the god of war the soldiers.

It's a comic book, if the GoW's power was to influence war though economy and politics alone, there would be no cool action scenes where he/she summons an army and beats up some bad guy. It would be a global political drama by Michael Moore.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    You apparently missed the part where she RAN HIM THROUGH with her sword.

And the part where she blocked a punch from Doomsday and didn't have her arms get broken again.

AND the part where she survived Doomsday's death field thing long enough to keep fighting him, where a lesser hero would've been killed in seconds.

And? As enish asked? Please, enlighten me. HOW do you get Doomsday holding back again? Doomsday NEVER "holds back."
    Are we still talking about SM/WW#8?
    Last edited by brettc1; 05-15-2014 at 02:12 PM.