Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

I'm really looking forward to this. The only "comics" I can remember reading before Captain Marvel was Little Nemo in Slumberland.
    It's all just an opinion. Stop taking me so damn seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by matthew View Post
    Such a great character. I hope DC decides to continue Thunderworld.
    Well, I think it bodes well that they chose the cover of Thunderworld for the cover for Shazam!: A Celebration of 75 Years.

http://www.amazon.com/Shazam-Celebra...ords=shazam+75

Its release date is one month from today. Can't wait for this!

He was going trunkless before all the other heroes were.
    The Gypsies had no home. The Doors had no bass.

Does our reality determine our fiction or does our fiction determine our reality?

Whenever the question comes up about who some mysterious person is or who is behind something the answer will always be Frank Stallone.

"This isn't a locking the barn doors after the horses ran way situation this is a burn the barn down after the horses ran away situation."

Retired

Not to harsh anyone's buzz, but if we're going to be perfectly truthful about it, the 75th anniversary was in 2014. The first issue--WHIZ COMICS No. 2--went on sale in December of 1939. And the two ashcan issues would have come out before that to secure the copyright. Issue 2 was cover dated February 1940--which is perhaps where the confusion arises.

A month or two either way makes no differerence I guess, but DC seems to be leaving it a little late. And really celebrating the anniversary of Captain Marvel at Christmas time just seems right to me. Imagine what beautiful stocking stuffers they could have come up with if they had honoured the correct time of year for the anniversary. Although Cap does celeberate his birthday on February 29th--so there's always that option.

Likewise, the actual 75th anniversary for FLASH COMICS No.1--DC edition--was in 2014. This comic came out even earlier than WHiZ 2--on November 10th, 1939. And everyone who studied their comic book history in grade three will remember this point--because FLASH COMICS was originally going to be the title for WHIZ but because DC got there first (and actually it was All-American at the time), Fawcett missed out on securing that name--THRILL COMICS was the other title they tried out before settling on WHIZ COMICS.

Which means the 75th anniversaries for the Flash, Hawkman, Johnny Thunder, Cliff Cornwall and the Whip were all in 2014, as well.

History is a bummer but just remember those who forget their History are bound to repeat it, in summer school. That's all for today's lesson kids, say hello to Pete Dixon on the way out.

Captain Marvel is fantastic. We need him back to bring hope back to DC.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Not to harsh anyone's buzz, but if we're going to be perfectly truthful about it, the 75th anniversary was in 2014. The first issue--WHIZ COMICS No. 2--went on sale in December of 1939. And the two ashcan issues would have come out before that to secure the copyright. Issue 2 was cover dated February 1940--which is perhaps where the confusion arises.

A month or two either way makes no differerence I guess, but DC seems to be leaving it a little late. And really celebrating the anniversary of Captain Marvel at Christmas time just seems right to me. Imagine what beautiful stocking stuffers they could have come up with if they had honoured the correct time of year for the anniversary. Although Cap does celeberate his birthday on February 29th--so there's always that option.

Likewise, the actual 75th anniversary for FLASH COMICS No.1--DC edition--was in 2014. This comic came out even earlier than WHiZ 2--on November 10th, 1939. And everyone who studied their comic book history in grade three will remember this point--because FLASH COMICS was originally going to be the title for WHIZ but because DC got there first (and actually it was All-American at the time), Fawcett missed out on securing that name--THRILL COMICS was the other title they tried out before settling on WHIZ COMICS.

Which means the 75th anniversaries for the Flash, Hawkman, Johnny Thunder, Cliff Cornwall and the Whip were all in 2014, as well.

History is a bummer but just remember those who forget their History are bound to repeat it, in summer school. That's all for today's lesson kids, say hello to Pete Dixon on the way out.
    Going by the cover date of course. Appreciate the history lesson.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    Captain Marvel is fantastic. We need him back to bring hope back to DC.
    I like the sound of Captain Marvel being a bringer of hope.

BANNED

I won't participate in this thread that often, because I already know where it's going to lead. I love ALL versions of the character, name changes don't mean anything to me. The character has always fascinated me, he has a solid rogues gallery and supporting cast too! I look forward to seeing more of the character in the New 52.

Reading the Archives that reprint Golden Age Captain Marvel always produce surprises. Volume 2 has what is, I think, a 10-chapter crossover between Captain Marvel and Spy Smasher where Spy Smasher has been brainwashed and Marvel spends a lot of time trying to capture him. I knew that the Monster Society of Evil was one of the first long form stories in comics, but I had no idea that it wasn't the very first. I'm used to short, one and done stories from the 40s, so it's interesting to see the Captain Marvel writers experimenting with longer storylines.

BANNED

Cool Captain Marvel is the most contested name in comics history!

A nice article to read

http://thepopcultist.com/2013/03/22/...omics-history/

Regardless of this contest, Black Adam vs Captain Marvel in the upcoming movie will be catching lightning in a bottle.

Boisterously Confused

I LOVE Captain Marvel!

Sure, I love Superman (his chief competitor), and Batman (an anti-Captain Marvel, if ever there was one), and Iron Man, and Thor, and Green Lantern, and Flash, and ... you get the point. But Captain Marvel's special. He might have been created as a bandwagon-jumping-on "me-too" character, but Beck and Parker hit on something truly unique.

You can probably get his appeal at any age, but I suspect you had to encounter him as a child to genuinely appreciate the character. Thank goodness for the reprints DC started running in the 1970s!

This is the superhero we all wanted to be at the age of 6. Even kids can only pretend so hard; none of us come from other planets, and most of us weren't likely to stick to Bruce Wayne's training regimen (and who wanted to wait that long for results anyway). However, the idea of a wizard giving us a collection of mythological attributes that make us infinitely powerful? At 6? We can buy into that!

Once you've been through that as a child, dismissing the logical disconnects is (pardon the pun) child's play. For the rest of your life. If you met him as a child, you can always buy into Captain Marvel.

SHAZAM!
    Last edited by DrNewGod; 08-22-2015 at 04:30 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjak View Post
    I won't participate in this thread that often, because I already know where it's going to lead. I love ALL versions of the character, name changes don't mean anything to me. The character has always fascinated me, he has a solid rogues gallery and supporting cast too! I look forward to seeing more of the character in the New 52.
    Surely you don't think a thread started by the forum's most vocal dissenter of the current Captain Marvel celebrating DC's character will devolve into character bashing? :P

I love Shazam. I read part of his story in the backs of Throne of Atlantis and I knew I was thrilled when they announced the trade. Gary Frank's art is great and Johns' writing was on point. I hope the two get together for more Shazam in the future. Maybe even continue their story from Justice League in an ongoing? Please?

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

CAPTAIN MARVEL !(1940-2015)
    Holy moly! I didn't even know he passed away!

A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

BANNED

Captain Marvel endures to this day.

BANNED

Jose Luis Garcia-Lopez depicts one awesome Captain Marvel!!!

https://www.facebook.com/JoseLuisGar...04562112917403