Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    BANNED

Happy 75th anniversary to the original CAPTAIN MARVEL (1940-2015)!

It’s just such a great idea – you say a magic word, and suddenly you can fly, and bullets will bounce off you. Just a really, simple, great concept.
    I think the key is that magic word, ‘Shazam.’ Magic words are something that go back in fiction, back to myths and legends and The Arabian Nights. It’s just something that resonates for us, I think. And it’s such a good magic word – it sounds like ‘Alakazam.’

Even Gomer Pyle was saying it. Dave Chappelle was saying it on his show. I’ve heard it in rap videos. Everyone knows what it means, it’s ‘Shazam!’ It’s the transformation into something else, like ‘Let’s go!’ It’s a call to action. And the costume – the red outfit with the lightning bolt. How many times in our lifetime have we seen generic parody superheroes, whether in an advertisement or anywhere, with a lightning bolt on their costume? The lightning bolt has almost become the generic symbol for a superhero, and it has its roots in Captain Marvel.

captain_marvel_Whiz2.JPG

While not as iconic or legendary as either the Superman or Batman capes, Captain Marvel can still make the claim of having the greatest cape of them all! The Big Red Cheese has the most original, most dynamic, most flashiest and most unique cape ever created. It has such a distinct look that it is almost impossible for creators to steal from it without making it so obvious. How many times have Batman and Superman's capes been copied and put onto other characters? Captain Marvel didn't have that problem. Plus his cape was never static, every panel on the comic page (even on his toys) showed it in different positions, whether it was hanging on his left side, right side, straight down his back, blowing in the wind, or just hanging over his arms, this cape had a life of it's own and the kids loved it.

If you still have a hard time believing that this cape is the greatest ever, know that it played such a major role in making Captain Marvel the number #1 comic character in the world back in the 1940's when comics were selling greater than they ever did as a whole in the history of the medium. Captain Marvel was that popular and that colorful that both Superman and Batman had to take a back seat to him. And another thing to think about; throughout the years even Superman and Batman's capes were upgraded and tweaked to fit into a new generation or contemporary art style. Never once, not once did Captain Marvel's cape or costume ever change to fit the times! Even when DC Comics got the rights to the character from Fawcett Publications and revived him in 1972, his cape, costume and overall look stayed exactly the same and he had not been seen in a comic for over 20 years prior! And even the greatest and most legendary Rock 'n' Roll singer/entertainer of all time, Elvis Presley had his stage outfits pay homage to CM's cape and costume during the 70's! Ask yourself how iconic and inspirational Elvis' image is to the whole world?? It simply doesn't get any bigger than that! With that many accolades, Captain Marvel's cape is what I call a perfect and timeless creation!

captain_marvel_cape Elvis.jpg

Sure, today with the new 52 going on, CM's costume and cape have been upgraded, but so wasn't every character in the DC Universe, so does that really count? Captain Marvel was said to be a knockoff of Superman when he was created back in 1940 by C.C. Beck and Bill Parker, but his adventures, look and success made him so much more and the longevity of the idea of his cape is a testament to that. To this day, DC Comics still tries to keep him in the shadow of Superman with consistently horrible revisions of his origin and having him being written by creators that don't have a clue on how to write him (I'm talking to you Geoff Johns!!). Only a select few have carried the flame of what truly makes the character great (Roy Thomas, Alex Ross, Paul Dini, and Mark Waid stand tall among them). Regardless, Captain Marvel will always be an enduring reminder of a simpler time when comics were based on the "fantastic" and the "whimsical" and the look of his cape is an homage to that...SHAZAM!!!!!!!

captain_marvels__by_johntrumbull-d6gdgbg.jpg
    Last edited by 616MarvelYear is LeapYear; 08-23-2015 at 12:29 PM.

I agree with a lot of what you said.Captain Marvel has been influential in the evolution of superheroes.I believe Superman only began to fly,when the Captain was able to,and Whiz comics were outselling DC.You just have to look at the story of Miracle Man and see the influences.I still shake my head at the fact that DC lost the name to Marvel.I only refer to him as CM,not Shazam.

Such a great character. I hope DC decides to continue Thunderworld.

BANNED

Default Captain Marvel Falls in Love!

Nobody is safe from Cupid's arrow, not even the mighty Captain Marvel!

Back in Whiz Comics #53 (1944), young Billy Batson gets a part time job at a wartime munitions plant. While working his shift, his demanding lady boss drops her makeup compact, which Billy returns to her in his alter ego of Captain Marvel. Little does Cap suspect that Billy's no-nonsense "Rosie the Riveter" boss is actually...a babe!
    cap_01.jpg
    Before you know it, Cap's head over heels in love, courtesy of the "wily Cupid"!
    Ahh, but alas...Cupid's arrow did not strike the fair Miss Curtis, as she proceeds to shut down the World's Mightiest Mortal.
    It's revealed that Miss Delia Curtis was engaged to another man when Cap was trying to woo her...
    cap_04.jpg
    What's that? A double "Bah" to women and love? Sadly, it's true...as Billy Batson confirms later during a radio recap of Cap's brush with romance.
    cap_05.jpg

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

It'd be nice if DC finally reveals the contents of the 75 years Celebration HC. It comes out like in April, and apparently the contents are top secret.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    It'd be nice if DC finally reveals the contents of the 75 years Celebration HC. It comes out like in April, and apparently the contents are top secret.
    True. I'll be definitely getting it, though.

BANNED

Smile Shaner celebrates captain marvel's history

http://www.comicbookresources.com/ar...ergence-shazam

"There are so many comics out there already with characters who are angry all the time or are just sitting around feeling bad for themselves, to have a chance to draw someone like Flash or Cap who epitomizes that positive type of character, who is having fun doing what he's doing and jumps at the chance to help, it's a blast. I can't complain."

I loved this answer.

Captain Marvel, Mary Marvel and Captain Marvel Jr.
    The Marvel Family...YES!!!!

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Are these 75 years HC's the only trades in comics history where you cannot learn the contents of the trade before its official release? If not, it certainly feels like it. Happy top secret birthday Capt Marvel.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Spectacular Member

BIG SHAZAM FAN since 1974 Shazam live-action Saturday morning show when I was 4 then ISIS! Read DC Shazam revival comic book in 70s, had Mego 8" Shazam figure (my sister has Isis!), Superman vs Shazam Treasury comic book, watched 1981 Filmation Shazam Saturday morning cartoon (BEST animated Shazam and had crush on Mary!), followed Shazam characters in CRISIS, had Super Powers Shazam figure (wish Captain Marvel had been on SP cartoon!), kept up with Shazam POST -CRISIS Legends, awful Shazam A New Beginning, embarrassing portrayal in Justice League, better Power of Shazam (Mary and Jr back after 10 YEARS!), collected ALL DC Direct and Mattel Shazam characters figures, watched Shazam on JLU, Brave & Bold, and Young Justice cartoons, saw Shazam characters end on low note in Trials of Shazam in old DCU! New 52 Shazam is ok (Gary Frank art helped a lot) but why does Billy have to be a JERK? Happy 75th Anniversary BIG RED CHEESE nothing will ever top the Golden Age Marvel Family stories by Shazam Elders CC Beck, Otto Binder, etc! HOLEY MOLEY has it been that long since Billy Batson was led into the abandoned subway tunnel?

really? i didn't know it was cap's 75th anniversary. how many dc characters will be celebrating their 75th anniversary this year? the flash, doc fate, green lantern...

the reason i asked is i liked that dc did flash variant covers to celebrate his anniversary, and i was hoping for green lantern themed variant covers as well..

did dc make shazam themed variant covers?

Congrats on 75 years Captain Marvel.

Although, the first 10 years or so you were involved with a nasty lawsuit filed against the Fawcett people who owned and created Captain Marvel by DC. After Fawcett decided to get out of comics DC bought all their product. Otto Binder survived the change over though. He landed a job with Supergirl because, he was writing Mary Marvel and his Sci-Fi Fanac pals Mort and Julie took him in.

I don't think Captain Marvel is 75 years old, also I am not sure what this is doing on the DC Forums...

:^)
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    I don't think Captain Marvel is 75 years old, also I am not sure what this is doing on the DC Forums...

:^)
    he probably is. dc just did a flash themed variant covers lately to celebrate the flash's 75th anniversary. cap could likely be the same age as the flash.

Quote Originally Posted by liwanag View Post
    really? i didn't know it was cap's 75th anniversary. how many dc characters will be celebrating their 75th anniversary this year? the flash, doc fate, green lantern...

the reason i asked is i liked that dc did flash variant covers to celebrate his anniversary, and i was hoping for green lantern themed variant covers as well..

did dc make shazam themed variant covers?
    I already made a thread of this:
    http://community.comicbookresources....-a-bigger-deal

Quote Originally Posted by matthew View Post
    Such a great character. I hope DC decides to continue Thunderworld.
    I love that book, i really hope we will see more in the same style.

SHAZAM!!!!