Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Black History Month Factoids -- Comic Book Edition

Black History Month, also known as African-American History Month in America, is an annual observance in the United States, Canada, and the United Kingdom for remembrance of important people and events in the history of the African diaspora. It is celebrated annually in the United States and Canada in February and the United Kingdom in October.

To Celebrate the rich history that exists in the Comic Book Publishing Field, Let's post amazing facts, anecdotes , etc. in accordance.

Move over STAR WARS!! Todd Johnson and Larry Stroman’s Tribe might have been incredibly short-lived, but its first issue sold more than one million copies in 1993, making it the highest selling comic produced by African American creators in industry history.

What is the highest selling Independent comic featuring an African American Lead. Why that honor goes to SPAWN #1 by Todd McFarlane Published once again by Image Comics .
    Spawn No. 1 sold 1.7 million copies, still a record for an independent comic book.

Storm; the first black female leader of a major comic team (the Xmen); and the black comic character with the most playable computer game appearances. Goddess be with you

All-New, All-Different Mighty Roman's Avatar

The first African superhero was Powerman (not Luke Cage). A hero who was designed primarily for an African audience and whose stories were supposed to help with reading ability. Also, most of his adventures were drawn by Brian Holland, who also drew Batman: The Killing Joke.
    The Falcon was the first black superhero in mainstream comics not to have 'black' as part of his codename. He was also the first African-American superhero.
    The first black character to star in his own comic book series was Western hero Lobo. His title was cancelled after 2 issues, due to low sales.
    Currently Reading in Single Issues/Trades:
    Marvel:Hulk (NOW), Ant-Man (NOW), Avengers: Time Runs Out,
    DC:Earth 2, Superman: Earth One, The Flash,
    Titan: Doctor Who: The Tenth Doctor, Doctor Who: Four Doctors,
    Upcoming:
    Secret Wars: Planet Hulk, The Last Days of Ant-Man, House of M,
    Marvel:Totally Awesome Hulk, Astonishing Ant-Man, Carnage,
    DC:Earth 2: Society,
    Titan:Doctor Who: The Tenth Doctor Year 2, Doctor Who: The Eighth Doctor,
    Co-Editor of CBR's Age of Marvel Amazing Line

I think you mean Brian Bolland?

Also, that Powerman still doesn't predate Black Panther.
    "It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether I win or lose." - Peter David, on life

"If you can't say anything nice about someone, sit right here by me." - Alice Roosevelt Longworth, on manners

"You're much stronger than you think you are." - Superman, on humankind

All-New, All-Different Marvel Checklist

Brought to you by CarlsJr SickAlice's Avatar

Marvel Studio's first licensed film and theatrical success was of course Blade which was at the dawn of a new trend of superhero films that continues to date.
    I make love, you make me sick.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    Storm; the first black female leader of a major comic team (the Xmen); and the black comic character with the most playable computer game appearances. Goddess be with you
    Oh yeah!

Last edited by RLAAMJR.; 02-05-2015 at 08:03 AM.

This was a significant page, especially the last panel.

You can read more about it here, scroll down to "Judgement Day".

http://goodcomics.comicbookresources...-revealed-214/

Nice thread prime
    We need better comics

BANNED

Rage (Elvin Daryl Haliday, sometimes misspelled "Holliday", first name sometimes given as "Eldon") is a fictional character, a comic book superhero in the Marvel Comics universe. He is African American. Rage was created by Larry Hama and Paul Ryan in The Avengers vol. 1 #326 (November 1990)

Subject of an interesting CBR article. http://goodcomics.comicbookresources...-revealed-364/ <---GREAT LINK for Panels of his Origin

COMIC LEGEND: Larry Hama invented Rage as a substitute when he was denied the use of Luke Cage in the Avengers.

I asked Hama about it, and he explained the situation like this:

Not true. I just always liked the whole Billy Batson thing, where the character is actually a little kid who somehow transforms into a powerful hero. I also liked the whole Aunt May thing, so that that got grafted on as the kindly grandmother. Making the character African-American was third down on the list, but it fit very well, and I changed the rest to make it all fit.

Original Costume

A great original in need of a make over..so in honor of Black History Month I gave him one.

BANNED

DAZZLER was originally created as an African-American Character.
    http://goodcomics.comicbookresources...d-revealed-48/

Dazzler was created as a cross-promotion between Marvel and Casablanca Records.

The collaboration with Casablanca caused many development difficulties in the Dazzler concept, leading Marvel to cancel the book “five or six times” previous to the publication of its first issue (a possible record)
    At one point, Casablanca wanted the character to be black, hence the following piece that John Romita drew for Casablanca president Neil Bogart in 1979 (with Bogart in the piece), during the creation process (drawing courtesy of Novaya Havoc).

Invincible Member

Valerie from Josie and the Pussycats was the first black female to co-star in a Sat morning cartoon. She was created for the show, but was moved to the comics

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ExcelsiorPrime View Post
    Rage (Elvin Daryl Haliday, sometimes misspelled "Holliday", first name sometimes given as "Eldon") is a fictional character, a comic book superhero in the Marvel Comics universe. He is African American. Rage was created by Larry Hama and Paul Ryan in The Avengers vol. 1 #326 (November 1990)

Subject of an interesting CBR article. http://goodcomics.comicbookresources...-revealed-364/ <---GREAT LINK for Panels of his Origin

COMIC LEGEND: Larry Hama invented Rage as a substitute when he was denied the use of Luke Cage in the Avengers.

Not true. I just always liked the whole Billy Batson thing, where the character is actually a little kid who somehow transforms into a powerful hero. I also liked the whole Aunt May thing, so that that got grafted on as the kindly grandmother. Making the character African-American was third down on the list, but it fit very well, and I changed the rest to make it all fit.

Original Costume

A great original in need of a make over..so in honor of Black History Month I gave him one.
    I actually like some of the 1st design of Rage. I would of course drop some aspects like that dumb jacket deal and mask. I would give him the jeans and t-shirt deal. A complete jacket that covers his arms .On the back of his jacket I'd have the word... RAGE on the back. I debate on him having a mask . Maybe just a bandanna mask type deal...
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Astonishing Member PretenderNX01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Michael P View Post
    I think you mean Brian Bolland?

Also, that Powerman still doesn't predate Black Panther.
    I think he means the first African-African (if that's a term LOL) published superhero as it was initially distributed in Nigeria.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Powerman_(comics)

Lothar was the first African supporting character in American comics debuting in the Mandrake the Magician newspaper strip 1934

All Negro Comics is the first known comics magazine done completely by African-Americans

They only put out 1 issue and it cost 15 cents at a time when most comics cost 10 cents.

BANNED

Dell Comic's Lobo was the first African-American character to headline his own comicbook series. He Debuted in the two-issue series Lobo (Dec. 1965 & Sept. 1966), co-created by writer D. J. Arneson and artist Tony Tallarico.

Last edited by ExcelsiorPrime; 02-13-2015 at 05:21 PM.

Fantastic Member Jumpoff AKA JohnnyBlazed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ExcelsiorPrime View Post

Original Costume

As a 90's kid I will always love rage! I don't really draw anymore but I am going to redesign his costume at work tonight.