Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mighty Member

Default Tom Brevoort on why Marvel won't undo One More Day

Anonymous:
    Nobody likes OMD. why does marvel refuse to undo it?
    Tom Brevoort:
    The medicine may not taste good, but if it makes you better, then you need to take it.
    http://brevoortformspring.tumblr.com...refuse-to-undo

BANNED

I liked it. Good a reason as any to keep it.

One thing I have learned is never trust what creators or especially EIC say in interviews especially before a big event like SW and the events surrounding it like RYV. They don't want us to know what marvel will look like in September and will say anything. Can't trust if they say reboot or if they say no reboot or anything in between. We can only infer from where the story seems to be heading

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Tiger View Post
    That is the kind of arrogant condescending attitude that millions of people hate ( especially from millionaire entertainers and politicians). It's we know better than you, because somehow we are "Superior" Basically "Children you need to take your medicine because you will get better." My opinion on OMD is well know (100% against it), but if they really think that not reversing OMD is so wonderful, then get rid of MJ once and for all ( no movie no strip). Basically send her to 616 Gwen Stacy Oblivion, and have Peter Parker become the Hugh Hefner wannabe Frat Boy they seem to like, and explain why, and call it a day. That is even better then game playing with the fans who want OMD ( and 'Sins Past' while they are at it), reversed. Of course, ECONOMICS is why they are not going in that route.

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler53 View Post
    That is the kind of arrogant condescending attitude that millions of people hate ( especially from millionaire entertainers and politicians). It's we know better than you, because somehow we are "Superior" Basically "Children you need to take your medicine because you will get better." My opinion on OMD is well know (100% against it), but if they really think that not reversing OMD is so wonderful, then get rid of MJ once and for all ( no movie no strip). Basically send her to 616 Gwen Stacy Oblivion, and have Peter Parker become the Hugh Hefner wannabe Frat Boy they seem to like, and explain why, and call it a day. That is even better then game playing with the fans who want OMD ( and 'Sins Past' while they are at it), reversed. Of course, ECONOMICS is why they are not going in that route.
    Basically this. They know fans want MJ, but like all good things they only want to tease with tiny little quantities. That way demand goes up and people buy books. It's like beginners' economics.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Probalus View Post
    Basically this. They know fans want MJ, but like all good things they only want to tease with tiny little quantities. That way demand goes up and people buy books. It's like beginners' economics.
    That is exactly right. But sometimes you play with fire, and get burned. "The Clone Saga" almost bankrupted Marvel, because they played games with the readers. Sometimes I wonder if Marvel is not going to cut off their nose to spite their face, in order to prove they are "right." 'Fantastic Four' versus 'Silk' is a perfect example of this: How many people think 'Silk' will sell enough copies in order to be published one year from now? Yet they are eager to publish that, yet kill off the FF ( perhaps over Fox?). I certainly preferred Pete in the FF than with Cindy Moon ( in particular dislike Cindy when compared to MJ ( but even compared to Carlie or Felicia)), and for that matter think he was better in the FF then the Avengers. Let's see what happens.
    Last edited by Steeler53; 01-31-2015 at 05:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Tiger View Post
    How depressing that they still think OMD was good for the character. Sales steadily declined after OMD until Superior revived things. It's a testament to Dan Slott and his big ideas and fanning the hype machine for keeping the book afloat DESPITE One More Day. Just imagine if OMD didn't happen in the first place, sales would be through the roof.

Quote Originally Posted by Vortex85 View Post
    Just imagine if OMD didn't happen in the first place, sales would be through the roof.
    I tend to disagree with that sentiment. The reason that sales progressively lowered through the BND era, from what I can fathom, was the sub-par quality of a lot of the stories. Maybe I'm wrong about that, but from things I've read and heard from others, the less-than-stellar creation was a big detriment to the sales.
    “Marvel Fan Rave Podcast” on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, and more.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderNerd View Post
    I tend to disagree with that sentiment. The reason that sales progressively lowered through the BND era, from what I can fathom, was the sub-par quality of a lot of the stories. Maybe I'm wrong about that, but from things I've read and heard from others, the less-than-stellar creation was a big detriment to the sales.
    But then people will just try to move the goalposts by saying that the comic industry has a whole was facing a downwards slope. Which, really, is just an attempt to avoid actually confronting the problems inherent to OMD.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Roxas View Post
    But then people will just try to move the goalposts by saying that the comic industry has a whole was facing a downwards slope. Which, really, is just an attempt to avoid actually confronting the problems inherent to OMD.
    Everonw knows comic books exist outside economic downturns.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Roxas View Post
    Those two issues the downward spiral and OMD are really related to the arrogance of the Comic Book Industry. Someone could actually write a Thesis Paper on this but here is the short version. Back in the old days the Entertainment Industry had a saying "The Audience Is Always Right." The reason is, because they buy the tickets, comics, records, etc. Now, they have an arrogance issue. OMD ( like 'The Clone Saga' before it), is a story that turned out badly for Marvel. But instead of admitting it, or at least changing it, they fight tooth and nail to defend it. You also see this with the garbage that is going on with Sony after 'The Conversation'. The dirt came out about what top executives said about Obama, and instead of manning up to it, and firing those responsible ( if they felt it was necessary), they put Al Sharpton on the Board Of Directors, which solves nothing. Until the Entertainment Industry admits they are NOT perfect, mistakes do happen, sometimes people must be held accountable, and quit doubling down on these mistakes, the only way the audience can force change. is not to spend their money. I did that after 'The Clone Saga' and there are certain Celebrities I will not spend one second of my time or one cent of money on. If Marvel wants to play games after RYV and continue on with OMD, that is their right. But I have the right not to put money in their wallets, a right I will exercise.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by cyberhubbs View Post
    Everonw knows comic books exist outside economic downturns.
    That's not what I'm saying at all. I'm saying that people make that the sole reason the sales declined. Yes, I understand that it was something that affected the book, but it's cited as a way of suggesting that people are lying about people leaving the book.

Those two issues the downward spiral and OMD are really related to the arrogance of the Comic Book Industry. Someone could actually write a Thesis Paper on this but here is the short version. Back in the old days the Entertainment Industry had a saying "The Audience Is Always Right." The reason is, because they buy the tickets, comics, records, etc. Now, they have an arrogance issue. OMD ( like 'The Clone Saga' before it), is a story that turned out badly for Marvel. But instead of admitting it, or at least changing it, they fight tooth and nail to defend it. You also see this with the garbage that is going on with Sony after 'The Conversation'. The dirt came out about what top executives said about Obama, and instead of manning up to it, and firing those responsible ( if they felt it was necessary), they put Al Sharpton on the Board Of Directors, which solves nothing. Until the Entertainment Industry admits they are NOT perfect, mistakes do happen, sometimes people must be held accountable, and quit doubling down on these mistakes, the only way the audience can force change. is not to spend their money. I did that after 'The Clone Saga' and there are certain Celebrities I will not spend one second of my time or one cent of money on. If Marvel wants to play games after RYV and continue on with OMD, that is their right. But I have the right not to put money in their wallets, a right I will exercise.
    I get that they don't want to look bad by admitting that they made a mistake, but at the same time, couldn't they find a way to just present it as what's simply a good response, rather than "fixing" a mistake?

Astonishing Member Darkspellmaster's Avatar

There was a set of lines that Al Ewing wrote for Odin in regard to Loki in Agent of Asgard #9 that reminds me a lot of the issues with the Editorial department in the Spider books. Loki's acting like an idiot and Odin tells him to wait before he runs off and acts Heroic.

"When I last saw you, you had grown. Now you are shrunken turning in on those you once called comrade who stood with you when no one else would. Is this a changed god I see before me? Nay, for all your noble deeds these past days, you lack that quality....{snip} You lack humility. and without Humility, yes you may change. You may change and change and change like a vain fool trying different armors to see which gleams brightest, while the battle goes on without him. You may change, but you will never grow."

I think that's something that the Spider office doesn't get, and a lot of people in charge of Marvel don't get. Change is good, growth is better. I know someone would cite Nancy Drew as the perpetual teen sluth and that she hasn't changed in years. But the difference is that she has had starts and stops and there are different versions of her allowing at least a few of her to grow as a person and gain more experinces. Another series I can point to that still has a heck of a lot of devoted fans is the Harry Potter series that has a character that grew up, and is now married, and fans want stories about his kids, his family, and the world. Spiderman is no different then that.

I don't see why, if a story is done well, if a character is given growth, they can't change or eventually retire. Yes I know "But Peter Parker is Spiderman!" Yet for the longest time we Accepted Bucky and now Falcon as Captain America, we've had Dick Grayson as Batman. It's a logical move up. You can always tell stories about Peter, you tell them in the past, you tell them as events that did happen, there's no reason that he shouldn't be allowed to grow up. We have a ton of Teen/Single spider people (Miles, Kaine, Mayday, Gwen, Jessica, Madam Webb, Flash, Steam punk may, Miguel, etc. Etc. And so forth) why must Peter be the solo character? I mean heck, if you put Miles or Mayday as a lead in a Spiderman cartoon and had Peter as an older figure, how much you want to bet people when they were teens would want to see a comic where Miles was the lead and that he was the "True" spiderman.

I get their reasoning, Peter is a hot commodity, he's the Spider-man that everyone knows of. But...what good does it do to keep him going like this if he doesn't grow? Again I point to Nancy Drew. While the series is doing good, it's not doing great. Life with Archie turned out to be a kick butt experiment that did well for Archie Comics, showing that people will happily read about adult versions of the characters. Why can't Marvel do the same thing? Seriously, after a point Peter is going to get old really fast and people are going to demand more. A serial has to grow and change or else it's going to be doomed unless it's a Slice of Life thing, or a gag strip. Spider-man is neither.

BANNED

editors became so arrogant that want their version of the character, not what fans want

Quote Originally Posted by Probalus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiderNerd View Post
    Your both right. OMD wasn't the only reason sales dropped but it had a huge impact on it. I equate it to a step by step program that would look like this. Step 1. OMD. Step 2. ????? Step 3. Profit. If they got back together you would have gotten those who dropped the book back. OMD is many things but medicine is not one of them. It's garbage. Infact I still want my money back for those issues of OMD.