Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksun View Post
    editors became so arrogant that want their version of the character, not what fans want
    Part of the job of editorial is to figure out what's best for the character, even if it's not what the reader say they want.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Part of the job of editorial is to figure out what's best for the character, even if it's not what the reader say they want.

Absolutely... But most of the modern editors force what THEY want, still not what is best for the character. Which isn't any better. A lot of fans actually want some stupid stuff, but when those fans are the people calling the shots, and they still want stupid stuff... Well...

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by AcroBrat View Post
    Absolutely... But most of the modern editors force what THEY want, still not what is best for the character. Which isn't any better. A lot of fans actually want some stupid stuff, but when those fans are the people calling the shots, and they still want stupid stuff... Well...
    What's absolutely best for the character? Ask ten people, probably get ten different answers.

Oh, absolutely. I mentioned that in my previous longer post, that is no objective best. That said, there are some decisions that the vast majority just think are bad.

That is one of the reasons I've started to prefer head canon and individual stories, rather than desperately clinging to full comic canonicity. As far as I'm concerned, Peter is still married, bit I can still appreciate the new stories.

Quote Originally Posted by AcroBrat View Post
    Oh, absolutely. I mentioned that in my previous longer post, that is no objective best. That said, there are some decisions that the vast majority just think are bad.

That is one of the reasons I've started to prefer head canon and individual stories, rather than desperately clinging to full comic canonicity. As far as I'm concerned, Peter is still married, bit I can still appreciate the new stories.
    pretend you’re an editor. pretend you’re an editor who, through supreme effort of will and a magic crystal, has somehow managed to put aside what you personally want to do with spider-man (he should grow a beard…and ride a spider-push bike annnd eat kale for power)…how do you determine what the majority wants?

and once you do…how do you track this over the years?

how do you avoid becoming a choose-your-own adventure service rather than writing from professional integrity?

Quote Originally Posted by boots View Post
    pretend you’re an editor. pretend you’re an editor who, through supreme effort of will and a magic crystal, has somehow managed to put aside what you personally want to do with spider-man (he should grow a beard…and ride a spider-push bike annnd eat kale for power)…how do you determine what the majority wants?

how do you avoid becoming a choose-your-own adventure service rather than writing from professional integrity?
    Spreadsheets. Walls and walls of spreadsheets.

BANNED

not doing stupid retcons because I don't like a marriage is a good start

Quote Originally Posted by AJpyro View Post
    Spreadsheets. Walls and walls of spreadsheets.
    add some figurines to properly map the plan of attack.

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksun View Post
    not doing stupid retcons because I don't like a marriage is a good start
    and we have the first person to misunderstand the hypothetical. anyone else?

BANNED

What if we use some kinda magic goat system?

Mind you, we're taking the goat's word on it being magical.

Quote Originally Posted by cyberhubbs View Post
    What if we use some kinda magic goat system?

Mind you, we're taking the goat's word on it being magical.
    are we talking to the goat one on one or is it posting on message boards?

I'm not saying it is easy, or that I yet have the answers... I'm mostly just identifying what I view as the problem. Maybe not the most constructive of criticism, but there you have it.

But I think I got distracted from another point I wamtednto focus on. The idea they should write things that are better for the character. This is a tough zone. Because, as we discussed, there is no definitive objective better. However, it is clear that they put aside artistic integrity to write their own stories. I dont always agree with an authors view of what is good for a character, but I can appreciate it, but I have no patience for soneone who ignores that ideal entirely.

BANNED

are we talking to the goat one on one or is it posting on message boards?
    Snapchatting.

Who still posts on message boards?
    Last edited by cyberhubbs; 02-01-2015 at 06:51 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Minerboh View Post
    I think that it is a oneway road.
    If they undo OMD then how will they adapt the timeline in order to explain the events that took place during all these years?
    I don't think they should make it so they need to "adapt" the timeline. Just accept that the timeline was altered, and define the future from that point going forward.

BANNED

I'm pretty sure I understood