Page 6 of 87 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656 ... LastLast
    Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    By all indications , the Vikings want Peterson back . Plus given the whole fiasco with his kid last year , I doubt Peterson will push for a trade. The public perception of him is already low. I doubt he wants to make his image worse.
    Are you sure about that? Players are notorious for compartmentalizing, or just plain not giving a rat's ass what the public thinks. Perhaps AP might just say "screw it" and push for a trade if he no longer wants to be in Minnesota. And who's to say the Vikings won't change their minds tomorrow and decide to move Peterson?
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

BANNED

I'm not talking about a trade, I'm talking about the Vikings looking for a fresh start. To quote an article I googled real quick on the subject:

"Peterson is three years into a six-year, $96 million contract extension. However, the Vikings have already paid out the $36 million in guaranteed money that the contract contained, according to Spotrac. That means they can cut Peterson without paying him a dime of the ~$56 million he is owed between now and 2017. The only financial penalty of cutting him would be a small cap hit ($2.7 million this year and $2.4 million in 2015, Spotrac reports).

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/adrian-peterson-contract-2014-9#ixzz3R2ysNVPB"

They have a talented young team in Minnesota, but they're still rebuilding. Maybe drafting a Gordon in the 1st and saving a s##t-ton of money doing it while getting a talented (though probably less so) young back in his prime vs the scandal (and they've said he won't play if they do keep him until the issue's settled, which may not be at the start of the season) and a lot of money that could be used in other places.

Quote Originally Posted by CSTowle View Post
    I'm not talking about a trade, I'm talking about the Vikings looking for a fresh start. To quote an article I googled real quick on the subject:

"Peterson is three years into a six-year, $96 million contract extension. However, the Vikings have already paid out the $36 million in guaranteed money that the contract contained, according to Spotrac. That means they can cut Peterson without paying him a dime of the ~$56 million he is owed between now and 2017. The only financial penalty of cutting him would be a small cap hit ($2.7 million this year and $2.4 million in 2015, Spotrac reports).

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/adrian-peterson-contract-2014-9#ixzz3R2ysNVPB"

They have a talented young team in Minnesota, but they're still rebuilding. Maybe drafting a Gordon in the 1st and saving a s##t-ton of money doing it while getting a talented (though probably less so) young back in his prime vs the scandal (and they've said he won't play if they do keep him until the issue's settled, which may not be at the start of the season) and a lot of money that could be used in other places.
    On top of that, the Vikings are nowhere near close to being a playoff team, and by the time they are ready to contend, Peterson will most likely be past his prime, so why not let him walk and go all in on the rebuilding with youth.

In a "write your own joke" scenario, quarterback Brian Hoyer said Browns GM Ray Farmer has texted him about setting up a meeting. Textgate jokes aside, unrestricted free agent Hoyer said he would be willing to return to the Browns in the right circumstances. Meaning, he wants an open competition. He won't come in and be strictly a back-up to Johnny Manziel.
    Hope is not lost today. It is found.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Don C View Post
    In a "write your own joke" scenario, quarterback Brian Hoyer said Browns GM Ray Farmer has texted him about setting up a meeting. Textgate jokes aside, unrestricted free agent Hoyer said he would be willing to return to the Browns in the right circumstances. Meaning, he wants an open competition. He won't come in and be strictly a back-up to Johnny Manziel.
    At this point would you even say Manziel is a starter ? With him being in rehab ? If anything Manziel needs the tough love approach if I'm the coach. "You may not even start this season due to your actions off the field. You best be proving what you can do."
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Fantastic Member Jumpoff AKA JohnnyBlazed's Avatar

At this point would you even say Manziel is a starter ? With him being in rehab ? If anything Manziel needs the tough love approach if I'm the coach. "You may not even start this season due to your actions off the field. You best be proving what you can do."
    I don't think Manziel can play at the pro level at all, No way he should have went in the first round anyway but this is the browns we are talkin' about....

I think Manziel's problem is that football comes easily to him. Up until the pros, his natural ability was all he needed. He never had to really study film, scout defenses or even learn the playbook. He could just go out there and make things happen.

Now, he's struggling because the NFL is just a completely different level of competition from college. He's straight up lost. So, no, I don't think he's the Browns starter next season.

I think Manziel's problem is that football comes easily to him. Up until the pros, his natural ability was all he needed. He never had to really study film, scout defenses or even learn the playbook. He could just go out there and make things happen.

Now, he's struggling because the NFL is just a completely different level of competition from college. He's straight up lost. So, no, I don't think he's the Browns starter next season.
    Exactly. For the Browns to just up and name Manziel the starter after a wholly unimpressive two games (I still remember how the Bengals bitchslapped him all day long and mocked his "money gesture" to boot) would be patently foolish. Mike Pettine would be a dope if he doesn't give Hoyer a shot at getting his job back because Manziel is clearly not ready for the big stage.

It's been fun. Toodles. Paradox's Avatar

That's almost always how it is with these hot-shot college guys. It's an entirely different world playing with men rather than boys. Scouts shouldn't take how they did in college as ANY indicator of how they'll do in the big leagues, but they do.
    'Dox out.

"It’s cold and it’s mean-spirited and I don’t like it here anymore." - Alan Moore

"Can it, you nit!" - Violet Beauregard

"And Paradox is never correct. About anything."- Kid Omega

The Conclave group page on Primus (a work in progress)
    Champions: The Conclave (an updating Facebook Gallery)
    Decorum & Friends (A City of Heroes archive)

It's been fun. Toodles. Paradox's Avatar

Oh, fun. Rex Ryan picks up Richie Incognito to play for him. Bills fans, you may end up with the dickish-est team ever!
    'Dox out.

"It’s cold and it’s mean-spirited and I don’t like it here anymore." - Alan Moore

"Can it, you nit!" - Violet Beauregard

"And Paradox is never correct. About anything."- Kid Omega

The Conclave group page on Primus (a work in progress)
    Champions: The Conclave (an updating Facebook Gallery)
    Decorum & Friends (A City of Heroes archive)

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Paradox View Post
    That's almost always how it is with these hot-shot college guys. It's an entirely different world playing with men rather than boys. Scouts shouldn't take how they did in college as ANY indicator of how they'll do in the big leagues, but they do.
    Pretty true really. In some cases , yes a great college QB who won will be solid in the pros. Look at Montana who won at that level. Of course Montana took a bit of a hit due to his arm strength and fell to the 3rd round of the draft. In this case Montana had to work his way into being the starter. The same applies to Tom Brady . While Brady did have some success in college he also had to battle for playing time and nearly hired a sports therapist to handle issues regarding that.

In each case Brady and Montana battled to be THE GUY for the teams. They weren't picked 1st . They weren't guaranteed anything. Manziel was like a lot of 1st rd QB's who are handed the world and fold quick. Jeff George , Ryan Leaf , JaMarcus Russell etc etc....
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumpoff AKA JohnnyBlazed View Post
    I don't think Manziel can play at the pro level at all, No way he should have went in the first round anyway but this is the browns we are talkin' about....
    Yea they messed up pretty bad there.

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Mike Pettine would be a dope if he doesn't give Hoyer a shot at getting his job back because Manziel is clearly not ready for the big stage.
    The problem is, it may not be Pettine's choice to play Manziel. There were reports that Jimmy Haslam wanted Manziel in sooner, but the team was winning and you don't fix what isn't broken.

The problem is, it may not be Pettine's choice to play Manziel. There were reports that Jimmy Haslam wanted Manziel in sooner, but the team was winning and you don't fix what isn't broken.
    Well, now that things are broken, does Haslem really think Johnny Rehab can fix it?

Haslam thinks he knows more about football than his GM and head coach. He's like Jerry Jones used to be. But now Jones has made a couple good decisions where Halsam made the choice to draft Manziel.