Page 12 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

I also for one bought the book to see the classic rogues' gallery, especially the original Venom, in addition to the marriage. I strongly feel Spidey's current enemies just don't cut muster. I hope this changes moving forward.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by jimishim12 View Post
    Cuz it doesn't factor in the angaging and fun aspect of Spidey's stories as a crime fighter or a adventurer, it(marriage/fatherhood) doesn't fit with Spidey's or Marvel's current vision of the character, they want Peter to be a heroic symbol/ideal instead of a people's hero(maybe a little bit of both but still not self contained to a point he's not that important to his heroic peers and the world in general). MJ would be a liability if she went on Peter's adventures with him and contributes nothing of value in the suspense of battles and the blood adrenaline acts of bravery and danger. Aka she be in the way since she has no powers, and no PIS to blindside a supervillian with cowardly weapons like guns and bats.
    In the podcast 'Hey kids, comics!' (an EXCELLENT podcast) Andrew and Micheal had a discussion about what is the difference between a status quo change and a story. They had a bit of a discussion there, and it's easy to make the conclusion that the line between these two is not Always easy. For me, I bought the argument Marvel had at the time about why they wanted to "unmarry" Peter and MJ, and I was totally on board with Brand New Day and why this was a good idea. It kind of changed pretty fast, and now we are suddenly facing the "all-new, all-different" Amazing Spider-Man, and then we're supposed to be glad that Peter is a CEO. I get that many think this is intriguing, and that's great, but to me Spider-Man isn't just Another crime fighter and adventurer. That he was a very smart but still common kid with ordinary problems and lots of problems and that infernal Parker luck is what, at least to me, set Spidey apart from the rest of the rest of the bunch. and I think it's very important that Marvel keeps that soul and core of Spider-Man.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Lasse View Post
    In the podcast 'Hey kids, comics!' (an EXCELLENT podcast) Andrew and Micheal had a discussion about what is the difference between a status quo change and a story. They had a bit of a discussion there, and it's easy to make the conclusion that the line between these two is not Always easy. For me, I bought the argument Marvel had at the time about why they wanted to "unmarry" Peter and MJ, and I was totally on board with Brand New Day and why this was a good idea. It kind of changed pretty fast, and now we are suddenly facing the "all-new, all-different" Amazing Spider-Man, and then we're supposed to be glad that Peter is a CEO. I get that many think this is intriguing, and that's great, but to me Spider-Man isn't just Another crime fighter and adventurer. That he was a very smart but still common kid with ordinary problems and lots of problems and that infernal Parker luck is what, at least to me, set Spidey apart from the rest of the rest of the bunch. and I think it's very important that Marvel keeps that soul and core of Spider-Man.
    Problems that don't have to be specific to ordinary life, I mean even Batman and Superman have problems with thier lives outside of costume, and Peter usually is 90% rooted towards everything about being Spiderman effecting his time as Peter Parker and the struggles he has maintaining two dual identities. Which IMO every superhero has incorperated in thier media now. Starting with(not the only one) the MCU Ironman.

BANNED

"Cowardly weapons"

Ugh, this guy never learns....

Quote Originally Posted by jimishim12 View Post
    Problems that don't have to be specific to ordinary life, I mean even Batman and Superman have problems with thier lives outside of costume, and Peter usually is 90% rooted towards everything about being Spiderman effecting his time as Peter Parker and the struggles he has maintaining two dual identities. Which IMO every superhero has incorperated in thier media now. Starting with(not the only one) the MCU Ironman.
    So you mean that what Spider-Man popular and unique started to become a part of every super hero mythology, and that´s why Marvel had to go forward? In the way that Spider-Man was not unique anymore? Maybe, but I think Marvel kind of has lost their way with Spider-Man. And that´s not on Dan Slott, I think that has been something that has happened over years, decades even. This is just my opinion, and I'm not in any way saying that it's more valid than anyone elses, but I like that part of Spider-Man, Peter's somewhat ordinary life (with some fantastic stuff, of course).

8 posts on whether someone caught a point or missed a point were deleted.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by boots View Post
    actually, he was more like a poor sandcastle.
    are we fighting
    ♪ღ♪*•.¸¸¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪•*

♪ღ♪░NORAH░WINTERS░FOR░SPIDER-WAIFU░♪ღ♪

*•♪ღ♪*•.¸¸¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪•«

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Slott View Post
    With SPIDER-GWEN, SPIDER-GIRL, and (yes) even AF #15...
    ...it wasn't just a case of overwhelming demand,
    it was a case of surprising & disproportionate overwhelming demand.
    In each case, Marvel was not expecting these books to be major hits-- let alone, blow-the-doors-off major hits.

In the case of RYV...
    A Secret Wars tie-in...
    A Secret Wars tie-in with Spider-Man...
    A Secret Wars tie-in with the long missing marriage reinstated...
    A Secret Wars tie-in with art by comic book master, Adam Kubert...
    A Secret Wars tie-in written by the regular ASM writer and promising elements that would continue on into the regular book...

Marvel KNEW it was going to be a hit.
    Marvel KNEW it was going to do ludicrously well.
    So the expectations were set pretty damn high.

That's a pretty big difference.
    So say if RYV #1 sold more than ASM #1 Vol 3, then Marvel would notice a difference?

Quote Originally Posted by Zeitgeist View Post
    are we fighting

you pro slurpee fans need sorting out.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Aruran. View Post
    So say if RYV #1 sold more than ASM #1 Vol 3, then Marvel would notice a difference?
    Flipside: If ASM #1 Vol 3 sells more, a lot of posters here will come up with reasons why that doesn't count:
    It's an ongoing. It has Alex Ross covers. I's a Spider-Man #1. It's has variant covers. And so on.

Other questions to ask:
    How well will RYV #2 sell? What about #3, #4, and #5?
    How well will ASM #2, #3, #4, and #5 sell?

Flipside: If ASM #1 Vol 3 sells more, a lot of posters here will come up with reasons why that doesn't count:
    It's an ongoing. It has Alex Ross covers. I's a Spider-Man #1. It's has variant covers. And so on.

Other questions to ask:
    "It's an ongoing" is a legitimately huge advantage going for ASM #1 Vol. 3 that RYV lacks, as we've seen time and again when it comes to ongoing vs. mini-series sales. And the fact that the premise of ASM Vol. 3 was announced even before RYV #2 dropped left no room for anyone to mistake RYV as an ongoing, at least RYV #2 onwards.

^ preparing the defense.
    ♪ღ♪*•.¸¸¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪•*

♪ღ♪░NORAH░WINTERS░FOR░SPIDER-WAIFU░♪ღ♪

*•♪ღ♪*•.¸¸¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪•«

Quote Originally Posted by Zeitgeist View Post
    ^ preparing the defense.
    As if to say that makes the point about the ongoing vs. mini sales any less true. Marvel is incredibly aware of this which is why we hardly get any minis nowadays. And the incredibly few ones that are greenlit struggle to generate good revenue.

RYV has the advantage of being an event mini-series, but then again, it is a tie-in to the event, not the main event book. Now with the announcement of ASM Vol. 3, at the very least it is clear that Peter won't be married with child post-SW. And the entire premise of this book hinges on the Spider-Marriage.

Spectacular Member

Other questions to ask:
    So what is the number the book needs to sell before marvel has a married spidey book?

Or, is it that no number of sales will cause marvel to create one. Without an answer, this ongoing dispute is useless.