Page 13 of 34 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by squirecam View Post
    So what is the number the book needs to sell before marvel has a married spidey book?

Or, is it that no number of sales will cause marvel to create one. Without an answer, this ongoing dispute is useless.
    I am not sure Marvel has a number in mind that will convince them to publish a married Spidey book nor do I think Slott was implying that they did.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Slott View Post
    Flipside: If ASM #1 Vol 3 sells more, a lot of posters here will come up with reasons why that doesn't count:
    It's an ongoing. It has Alex Ross covers. I's a Spider-Man #1. It's has variant covers. And so on.

Other questions to ask:
    How well will RYV #2 sell? What about #3, #4, and #5?
    How well will ASM #2, #3, #4, and #5 sell?
    Small point of contention.

Wouldn't this be Vol. 4?

Vol. 1 is obviously Lee/Ditko.

Vol. 2 is the Mackie/Byrne reboot.

Vol. 3 is the post-Superior/Original Sin tie-in/Intro to Silk.

Vol. 4 is post-Secret Wars (2015).

Moving on, I imagine Marvel will be looking at the sales for DC's Superman: Lois and Clark very closely.

Quote Originally Posted by oldschool View Post
    I am not sure Marvel has a number in mind that will convince them to publish a married Spidey book nor do I think Slott was implying that they did.
    It feels more like an "either or situation" when it doesn't have to be. This is a "Why Not Both?"
    Last edited by Kevinroc; 07-15-2015 at 10:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Slott View Post
    Flipside: If ASM #1 Vol 3 sells more, a lot of posters here will come up with reasons why that doesn't count:
    It's an ongoing. It has Alex Ross covers. I's a Spider-Man #1. It's has variant covers. And so on.

Other questions to ask:
    How well will RYV #2 sell? What about #3, #4, and #5?
    How well will ASM #2, #3, #4, and #5 sell?
    So if the series sells as well as ASM then would it be considered?

This is what I was thinking. I just wanted to see if Dan Slott would come out and say it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    It feels more like an "either or situation" when it doesn't have to be. This is a "Why Not Both?"
    Cause at at the day it matters whether or not the company wants those stories or not.

I think this is a good point. I think fans of Peter and Mary Jane (of which I am one) should be happy that Marvel/Slott decided to feature the marriage in RYV. Slott could just as easily have had his Secret Wars tie-in feature a "Superior" part of Battleworld where Peter never reclaimed his body from Otto. They didn't have to tell a story with the marriage. There was no one forcing them to do so. I think it was a nice gesture to fans.

I do think (subjectively) that there's enough interest in the marriage to sustain an alternate universe title, but I think it's a mistake to think Marvel owes anyone anything. If Marvel believes that keeping Peter single is in the long-term interest of the character, they'll probably keep him that way. Demanding (instead of asking for) more, rather than being appreciative that Marvel has featured the marriage at all, is probably more likely to harden Marvel's stance than anything. But that's just my opinion.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Keeper of the Crows View Post
    I think this is a good point. I think fans of Peter and Mary Jane (of which I am one) should be happy that Marvel/Slott decided to feature the marriage in RYV. Slott could just as easily have had his Secret Wars tie-in feature a "Superior" part of Battleworld where Peter never reclaimed his body from Otto. They didn't have to tell a story with the marriage. There was no one forcing them to do so. I think it was a nice gesture to fans.

I do think (subjectively) that there's enough interest in the marriage to sustain an alternate universe title, but I think it's a mistake to think Marvel owes anyone anything. If Marvel believes that keeping Peter single is in the long-term interest of the character, they'll probably keep him that way. Demanding (instead of asking for) more, rather than being appreciative that Marvel has featured the marriage at all, is probably more likely to harden Marvel's stance than anything. But that's just my opinion.
    I simply asked what # would need to be reached for a marriage book. Either there is such a #, or there isnt. If there is not, though, this whole "sales" issue is a waste of time.

Quote Originally Posted by Aruran. View Post
    Cause at at the day it matters whether or not the company wants those stories or not.
    I guess I'm just trying to wrap my head on why this needs to be framed as an "either or" situation. And if Marvel is leaving money on the table by framing it as such instead of just going "Why Not Both?"

(Of course this same type of argument could also be used to ask why isn't there a Superior Spider-Man comic as well.)

I don't think Marvel's stance can harden any more, but you are right that Marvel owes readers nothing.
    Last edited by Kevinroc; 07-15-2015 at 05:04 PM.

it’s an interesting question though- so far we have a few fans speculating on figures and mechanisms they have no experience or expertise in and dan explaining the situation on the professional side.

i’m actually really curious what would hypothetically make marvel stand up and take notice. what would that involve? is that situation even possible?

I simply asked what # would need to be reached for a marriage book. Either there is such a #, or there isnt. If there is not, though, this whole "sales" issue is a waste of time.
    sometimes businesses steer a course due to a vision they believe in strongly, despite consumer feedback (especially when the message of that feedback is debatable). each time facebook has updated their ux design there is the usual hysteria, petitions and threats of mass exodus and each time things settle and keep trucking along.

I wasn't referring to you specifically (or anyone else), and I apologize if it came across that way. I do agree with you that the "sales" issue is a waste of time. Marvel (rightly or wrongly) believes Peter is more accessible when single and there are more story possibilities with that status quo, and I don't think their minds are going to change any time soon.

I don't think Marvel's stance can harden any more, but you are right that Marvel owes readers nothing.
    I'm not sure, Kevin. After OMD, it seemed to me like that was the "last word" on the marriage and Marvel went out of its way not to talk about or feature it for a while (other than OMIT). The fact that Slott (and Marvel) decided to pen RYV seems like a kind gesture to me, a nice way to recognize fans of the marriage in a non-continuity binding ways. I think something is better than nothing, and it may open the door to future stories, but I don't think that's as likely if the writers/editors feel like they're darned if they do and darned if they don't.

RYV had a ton of variant covers, which really mixes up the sales arguments. And sales of Slott's ASM #1 blew it completely out of the water. So did Rocket Raccoon #1 and Princess Lea #1, by the way. But not SSM #1.

The obvious conclusion is that they need to turn Spider-Man into a female raccoon.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

I'm not sure, Kevin. After OMD, it seemed to me like that was the "last word" on the marriage and Marvel went out of its way not to talk about or feature it for a while (other than OMIT). The fact that Slott (and Marvel) decided to pen RYV seems like a kind gesture to me, a nice way to recognize fans of the marriage in a non-continuity binding ways. I think something is better than nothing, and it may open the door to future stories, but I don't think that's as likely if the writers/editors feel like they're darned if they do and darned if they don't.
    I don't know. It doesn't seem like attitudes have changed at all. RYV seems to exist solely because it represented something Slott hasn't been able to write since he began writing Amazing Spider-Man. And I'm enjoying it. But it strikes me as odd in its own way.

I don't know. It doesn't seem like attitudes have changed at all. RYV seems to exist solely because it represented something Slott hasn't been able to write since he began writing Amazing Spider-Man. And I'm enjoying it. But it strikes me as odd in its own way.
    I think you're correct that Marvel's attitude about the marriage as a mainstay hasn't changed. I can't speak to Mr. Slott's motivations for writing the story--if he desires, he can do that himself--but I can say I don't believe RYV would have happened if Secret Wars was an event in 2008, or even 2010. When OMD was still fresh, it seemed to me that Marvel didn't even want to acknowledge the marriage in comics (with exceptions, like the back up feature in Web), and I think this at least, has changed with RYV. I admit that this could be an overly optimistic view, but I really do think at the end of the day Marvel does care about their fans, they just also want to do what they think is in the long-term interest of the franchise.

I think you're correct that Marvel's attitude about the marriage as a mainstay hasn't changed. I can't speak to Mr. Slott's motivations for writing the story--if he desires, he can do that himself--but I can say I don't believe RYV would have happened if Secret Wars was an event in 2008, or even 2010. When OMD was still fresh, it seemed to me that Marvel didn't even want to acknowledge the marriage in comics (with exceptions, like the back up feature in Web), and I think this at least, has changed with RYV. I admit that this could be an overly optimistic view, but I really do think at the end of the day Marvel does care about their fans, they just also want to do what they think is in the long-term interest of the franchise.
    I agree that Marvel does care about their fans and is thinking about the long-term interest of the franchise. And Marvel has definitely proven that Spider-Man comics sell just fine without the marriage. But they had been teasing fans about the idea of Peter/MJ reconciling for the last few years. But as they ultimately didn't go down that route, and apparently are continuing to not go down that route post-Secret Wars, I'm just wondering is all.

Popular books like Old Man Logan, A-Force, and Spider-Verse/Web Warriors are continuing post-Secret Wars. And those books don't have the sales of RYV. I just find that a little curious. Are they really writing it all off as "Spider-Man is popular right now so of course a SW spin-off would be popular?" (Slott's post earlier seems to indicate as such.)

I agree that Marvel does care about their fans and is thinking about the long-term interest of the franchise. And Marvel has definitely proven that Spider-Man comics sell just fine without the marriage. But they had been teasing fans about the idea of Peter/MJ reconciling for the last few years. But as they ultimately didn't go down that route, and apparently are continuing to not go down that route post-Secret Wars, I'm just wondering is all.

Popular books like Old Man Logan, A-Force, and Spider-Verse/Web Warriors are continuing post-Secret Wars. And those books don't have the sales of RYV. I just find that a little curious. Are they really writing it all off as "Spider-Man is popular right now so of course a SW spin-off would be popular?" (Slott's post earlier seems to indicate as such.)

I'd personally love to see a RYV/marriage spinoff. Peter + MJ is my preferred status quo because I think she's a great, dynamic character, they complement each other perfectly, and she is a good character for Peter to talk to and bounce ideas off of (in addition to many other reasons--she just kicks butt). But there could be a number of reasons why Marvel wouldn't go with a longer version of RYV, although I agree with you it probably isn't based on the fact they don't think the sales would be there.

For one, there are a lot of other Spider-books right now, from Miles to Silk to Gwen to 2099 (to Carnage and Venom and more?). Also, it could be possible that RYV ends with that Peter sacrificing himself to protect his daughter/family--the ultimate responsibility--which would make it harder to do a spinoff. And we don't know what aspects of RYV might survive into the 616 post-Secret Wars (what if the marriage stays gone but Annie pops up in the 616?). Finally, if an alternate-universe marriage title outperformed the regular title on a consistent basis, that could prove awkward (although I would hope Marvel would just welcome the increased sales).