Page 6 of 34 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Slott View Post
    Those were most definitely not the statistics back then.
    An angry fan compiled data from the 3-times a month BND Diamond Estimates. He CHUCKED OUT THE HIGHEST NUMBER. Then he added the two lowest figures, divided them by 2, and used that figure to represent BND sales.

Think about that for 1 second.

He THREW OUT the TOP THIRD of the data. That's insane.

Next, he cherry picked a stretch of JMS's run that had the majority of its sales boosted 20-to-40% by tie-ins to CIVIL WAR and CIVIL WAR aftermath books-- a tide that lifted all boats in the Marvel line at the time-- with Spider-Man, FF, and New Avengers getting some of the biggest boosts.

Myself and many other people in the industry (even Diamond themselves) have said that the Diamond Estimates are unreliable and always on the low side. But even with that, the "charts" that JMS were using were wildly (and purposefully) skewed and inaccurate. JMS had no ideas about that before using them. And, upon learning about the chart's dubious origins, JMS told me (in an offline conversation) that he regretted using them.

At this point in my career, it actually would help me if people believed BND numbers were poor-- and that things like BIG TIME, SUPERIOR, and SPIDER-VERSE magically got the numbers up to where they are now from such a "humble" start. But that would be complete and utter BS.
    If you look at where the JMS era sales were before CIVIL WAR, the BND sales were not only comparable-- they were comparable 3 times a month! And that's a pretty mean feat! The JMS books usually didn't come out once a month for a full year. And suddenly here you had a team that was getting out a book at those numbers a full three times a month-- without fail!

Very proud of both the work AND the success of everyone who pulled together on the BND run!
    Aw, you dont give yourself enough credit Dan! You got a ton of new readers with superior.

But, good job on BND

I think that's an important point. Whatever one thinks of the overall consistency and quality of BND--and for the record, I think that "Big Time" and "Superior" were much, much better than BND--coming out three times a month on a consistent basis was an objectively successful accomplishment. I remember the painful delays in Amazing during Civil War, Back in Black, and OMD. When the title only comes out once a month, and there are several delays in a year, there's a lot less story to be had.

I do think the RYV sales numbers at least suggest interest in a more mature, married Peter on the part of many fans (though it's difficult to know how sustainable those numbers would be in the long run). But I think the element of Secret Wars that will remain in the title is going to be the Web Warriors, not aspects of RYV--though I would be happy to be wrong.

An angry fan compiled data from the 3-times a month BND Diamond Estimates. He CHUCKED OUT THE HIGHEST NUMBER. Then he added the two lowest figures, divided them by 2, and used that figure to represent BND sales.

Next, he cherry picked a stretch of JMS's run that had the majority of its sales boosted 20-to-40% by tie-ins to CIVIL WAR and CIVIL WAR aftermath books-- a tide that lifted all boats in the Marvel line at the time-- with Spider-Man, FF, and New Avengers getting some of the biggest boosts.

Myself and many other people in the industry (even Diamond themselves) have said that the Diamond Estimates are unreliable and always on the low side. But even with that, the "charts" that JMS were using were wildly (and purposefully) skewed and inaccurate. JMS had no ideas about that before using them. And, upon learning about the chart's dubious origins, JMS told me (in an offline conversation) that he regretted using them.

At this point in my career, it actually would help me if people believed BND numbers were poor-- and that things like BIG TIME, SUPERIOR, and SPIDER-VERSE magically got the numbers up to where they are now from such a "humble" start. But that would be complete and utter BS.
    If you look at where the JMS era sales were before CIVIL WAR, the BND sales were not only comparable-- they were comparable 3 times a month! And that's a pretty mean feat! The JMS books usually didn't come out once a month for a full year. And suddenly here you had a team that was getting out a book at those numbers a full three times a month-- without fail!

Very proud of both the work AND the success of everyone who pulled together on the BND run!
    On a side note I loved Superior Spider-Man Mr. Slott, thanks. It was, imo, the greatest Spidey tale in at least a decade. My only minor complaint is that the ending seemed a bit rushed, however I think that was mostly due to wanting Peter back in the saddle for Spider Verse. Anyhow I just wanted to thank you personally.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    So DKR was at a greater disadvantage?
    I think it's an apples and oranges situation. The comic book industry of the mid 1980s is a very different place from the comic book industry of the mid 2010s.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vortex85 View Post
    Seriously.

I use the exact argument Dan Slott used for Silk getting her own book, and those who are always agreeing with him are now arguing and making excuses against it.

Except here sales were drastically higher than the Silk debut.
    Why cant people just admit that RYV #1 sold really well, that it involves a married Pete and MJ..and people are excited to read about that status quo.

Edit: it's already been said, but again, a big key element at play is the controversy attached to the whole "marriage". I think it's a pretty big generalization to say so many copies of the book were ordered by retailers because marriage fans, and not to consider the polarizing nature of the story which would have many comic readers otherwise not invested curious/intrigued over what this story is concerning.
    Last edited by Zeitgeist; 07-10-2015 at 10:08 AM.
    ♪ღ♪*•.¸¸¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪•*

♪ღ♪░NORAH░WINTERS░FOR░SPIDER-WAIFU░♪ღ♪

*•♪ღ♪*•.¸¸¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪•«

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zeitgeist View Post
    Edit: it's already been said, but again, a big key element at play is the controversy attached to the whole "marriage". I think it's a pretty big generalization to say so many copies of the book were ordered by retailers because marriage fans, and not to consider the polarizing nature of the story which would have many comic readers otherwise not invested curious/intrigued over what this story is concerning.
    So when Silk sells well people love her but when a book featuring the marriage sells really well its simply because of controversy?

Quote Originally Posted by squirecam View Post
    So when Silk sells well people love her but when a book featuring the marriage sells really well its simply because of controversy?
    I never said "simply because", but that it should also be considered. There's many elements at play here, it's silly to rule that it's just one specific reason.
    Also as noted by a previous poster, these numbers are what retailers ordered in anticipation, no?
    ♪ღ♪*•.¸¸¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪•*

♪ღ♪░NORAH░WINTERS░FOR░SPIDER-WAIFU░♪ღ♪

*•♪ღ♪*•.¸¸¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪•«

Okay, that makes sense. I was sure that the data was valid because I thought someone in JMS's position and with his experience would know better regarding the accuracy of those stats.

Quote Originally Posted by Vortex85 View Post
    Aw, you dont give yourself enough credit Dan! You got a ton of new readers with superior.
    Yup, definitely.

Quote Originally Posted by Keeper of the Crows View Post
    I think that's an important point. Whatever one thinks of the overall consistency and quality of BND--and for the record, I think that "Big Time" and "Superior" were much, much better than BND--coming out three times a month on a consistent basis was an objectively successful accomplishment.
    This too.
    Last edited by Confuzzled; 07-10-2015 at 02:01 PM.

DC just announced SUPERMAN: LOIS & CLARK, a Convergence spin-off about a Superman still married to Lois, and raising their son.

Your move, Marvel.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    DC just announced SUPERMAN: LOIS & CLARK, a Convergence spin-off about a Superman still married to Lois, and raising their son.

Your move, Marvel.
    Marvel can do a AU with married spider raising his daughter, no excuses for it

Quote Originally Posted by Tayswift View Post
    Marvel can do a AU with married spider raising his daughter, no excuses for it
    I'd buy it. I love the idea, and I think it'd make a great series.
    “Marvel Fan Rave Podcast” on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, and more.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderNerd View Post
    I'd buy it. I love the idea, and I think it'd make a great series.
    I think alot of people would buy it too.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post

Your move, Marvel.
    I assume this is close to when Superman is retiring from Superheroism to raise a child just like MC2 for Spider-Man and just like RYV.

Quote Originally Posted by squirecam View Post
    I think alot of people would buy it too.
    From reading various threads on various boards, the demand from fans definitely seems to be out there.
    “Marvel Fan Rave Podcast” on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, and more.