View Poll Results: Your Opinion of the Redesign?

Voters
105. You may not vote on this poll
  • LOVE IT

10 9.52%
  • LIKE IT

30 28.57%
  • 100% INDIFFERENT TO IT

25 23.81%
  • DISLIKE IT

27 25.71%
  • HATE IT

13 12.38%
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by cyberhubbs View Post
    Does she even need armor? She's an angel. Figured it was more ceremonial and really for show.
    she doesn't need armor at all. Thor isn't even using one at the moment.

The hair is a little too over the top, But the rest is good. a lighter armor instead of a bikini/giant belt

Angela: "I have you now, [insert bad guy name here]!! There's no escape for you this time!"

Bad Guy: "You're right, I surrender. Here's my weapon. [tosses it at Angela's feet] Feel free to pick it up."

Angela bends down to pick up weapon. impales herself in lower abdomen.

Angela: Urgh

Bad Guy: Cheerio then.

Obvious design flaws aside, I don't like it. For me, it represents the worst of all those "But bikini armour isn't practical!!" arguments that get bandied around all the time, usually aimed at the likes of Red Sonja, and generally making comparisons between bikini-mail and actual proper armour... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTGh0EMmMC8

The problem is, that's a flawed argument. Because how often do we really see guys in 'practical' armour either (outside of movies about Camelot and the like)? Certainly not this guy (either of him)...

or this fellow...

or...

...or He-Man. Or almost the entire casts of both 300 movies. Or any other sword and sandals, fantasy movie, comic-book, TV show, etc.

I'm not saying the idea of bikini-armour isn't daft, of course it is. But it's no more daft than any of the previous examples. And yet, for some reason, they're never considered a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Vworp Vworp View Post
    Angela: "I have you now, [insert bad guy name here]!! There's no escape for you this time!"

Bad Guy: "You're right, I surrender. Here's my weapon. [tosses it at Angela's feet] Feel free to pick it up."

Angela bends down to pick up weapon. impales herself in lower abdomen.

Angela: Urgh

Bad Guy: Cheerio then.

Obvious design flaws aside, I don't like it. For me, it represents the worst of all those "But bikini armour isn't practical!!" arguments that get bandied around all the time, usually aimed at the likes of Red Sonja, and generally making comparisons between bikini-mail and actual proper armour... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTGh0EMmMC8

The problem is, that's a flawed argument. Because how often do we really see guys in 'practical' armour either (outside of movies about Camelot and the like)? Certainly not this guy (either of him)...

or this fellow...

or...

...or He-Man. Or almost the entire casts of both 300 movies. Or any other sword and sandals, fantasy movie, comic-book, TV show, etc.

I'm not saying the idea of bikini-armour isn't daft, of course it is. But it's no more daft than any of the previous examples. And yet, for some reason, they're never considered a problem.
    Those guys are a rarity though. You're more likely to see guys in practical armor than girls.

Extraordinary Member

I'll refrain from saying hate. But it isn't particularly outstanding.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Those guys are a rarity though. You're more likely to see guys in practical armor than girls.
    How are they are rarity? That's pretty much the standard look for every guy in the same fantasy/warrior genre in which you'd find similarly un-armoured female warriors. Sure, if you had a scenario where the guys were all dressed like something out of 'Monty Python and the Holy Grail' and the women looked like they were trying to improve their medieval tans, that would indeed be ludicrous. But I can't honestly think of many* examples where that's the case.

*With the exception of 2004's 'King Arthur'. And let's be honest, Knightley's outfit in that movie was the least of it's problems.

I love the armor and the hair, it looks really cool.

I dislike everything from the neck up. IMO they should have kept the old helmet & hair. Then they could give her whatever costume they wanted and it would still look like Angela. I donno. The new mask just seems to clash with her face markings. I find it distracting in the first image.

Quote Originally Posted by David_99 View Post
    The new mask just seems to clash with her face markings. I find it distracting in the first image.
    I agree. I don't care for the design as a whole, as certain elements are problematic. The worst of these is the helmet. It doesn't frame her face, and flows in the exact opposite nature of her face tattoos/paint.

It feels very... 80s... I don't particularly care for that feel.

/shrug

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

I took a second look and I'm scratching my head. Why is it necessary to give her coat tails, a posterior loin cloth, a wide sash, what appears to be black chain mail pants and heavy plate for briefs with long boots? Maybe if they strip away some of the redundant elements -- bi-wings on the helm included -- we might have something. Or maybe if they started over and stripped away their notion of her being a knight or a barbarian we might get somewhere.

And I just realized the why I like the second image. It reminds me of Jean Grey as the Phoenix.

Its kinda amazing, it has a lot of details but it looks boring and ugly. In the second image looks a bit better but not good.

Lick on, sweet prince. Sea Hound's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    I took a second look and I'm scratching my head. Why is it necessary to give her coat tails, a posterior loin cloth, a wide sash, what appears to be black chain mail pants and heavy plate for briefs with long boots? Maybe if they strip away some of the redundant elements -- bi-wings on the helm included -- we might have something. Or maybe if they started over and stripped away their notion of her being a knight or a barbarian we might get somewhere.

And I just realized the why I like the second image. It reminds me of Jean Grey as the Phoenix.
    Yeah, you can see in the flying shots she looks really visually cluttered. Part of the reason the Hans image looks better is that she has cleverly overlaid a lot of things to make it look less busy. Jiminez's design has big hair, big wings, massive winged helmet, complicated armor, the strappy moving things, coat tails, the dishcloth loincloth, a big red gauntlet, an enormous sword, and facial tattoos. There's just way too much happening.

At the very least, lose the tails and the dishcloth. They add nothing. Make the armor less busy visually, and lose a few of the sharp points. Hans has started to do this, and it already looks better. Keep the hair soft, and a bit smaller.

I think the tape-y things are part of her visual signature, and I like that her original helmet accidentally looked very Asgaridian before she was ever a Marvel character, so I'd keep those.

I love early Kirby Asgard designs, and I think the Asgardian characters lend themselves to a bit of visual lunacy, but Kirby was always mindful of silhouette, and his designs were much sharper visually.

This design doesn't quite satisfy anyone. It's not really practical, it's not particularly sexy, and it's visually messy. I didn't much like the old design, but I like this one less.
    "Self has no time for this."

Not really a fan. The one part I wasn't thrilled with on the old armor - those stupid metal boob cups - are still there, and the rest isn't really an improvement. Don't like the headdress, pretty much neutral on the rest.

I don't hate it but i don't like it either it is not an outstanding piece if you ask me.

BANNED