Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default REVIEW: New Avengers, #29

Reed Richards catches everyone up on the last eight months in Jonathan Hickman, Kev Walker and Scott Hanna's "New Avengers" #29.

Full review here.

Fantastic Member

Yeah, got to say Kev Walker, as much as I like his art, may not be perfect for this. Especially considering how (revealed in Avengers #37), Franklin is still alive, but Walker really did not convey that well here.

His arms are wrapped around Reed's neck, that's enough for me

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

This reviewer seems to have missed a few things (like Franklin is NOT dead), but I'm glad he too was wondering lack of reaction to Namor's death.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Knight of DC View Post
    Yeah, got to say Kev Walker, as much as I like his art, may not be perfect for this. Especially considering how (revealed in Avengers #37), Franklin is still alive, but Walker really did not convey that well here.
    Hickman didn't convey that very well either. His words lead one to believe that Franklin died (or suffered great harm) in that attempt.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

I really enjoyed this issue. Alot of people were knocking the Illuminati for not trying this or that or going to Frankiln and it goes to show that they did.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

I'm kinda surprised at how many people thought Franklin was dead. That'd definitely be a downer moment. That last page was killer though!
    Brad Pitt for Grifter in a WildCATS movie

BANNED

Two things I think should be corrected in the review:

1. Franklin not being dead

2. Nowhere is said in this issue that the Beyonders "are the last hope the universe", while Strange in a previous issue said the Great Destroyer and The Beyonders were both after the End of Everything.
    Last edited by peterporker; 02-02-2015 at 03:55 PM.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by peterporker View Post
    Two things I think should be corrected in the review:

1. Franklin not being dead

2. Nowhere is said in this issue that the Beyonders "are the last hope the universe", while Strange in a previous issue said the Great Destroyer and The Beyonders were both after the End of Everything.
    Also, it wasn't clear to me if Pym actually brought back the Beyonders or if it was a holograph

Quote Originally Posted by runguy View Post
    Also, it wasn't clear to me if Pym actually brought back the Beyonders or if it was a holograph
    I was under the belief they followed him back to Earth, but I could be wrong. And again, if they did follow, what exactly did he tell them to make them come back with him?

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    This reviewer seems to have missed a few things (like Franklin is NOT dead), but I'm glad he too was wondering lack of reaction to Namor's death.
    I'm not that surprised about the lack of reaction because in one respect I think they probably knew it was coming eventually but suspected it might have been the rest of the Cabal that would turn on him.

I really don't see how Franklin could be dead when you see no real reaction from Sue. I think Reed is holding him because their had to be some strain on Franklin with what they were trying to do.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by runguy View Post
    It's an holograph, Pym give to Reed a sort of microfilm hidden in his mask then Reed put the the microfilm in his "tablet" and shows the others the Beyonders.

Quote Originally Posted by peterporker View Post
    It's an holograph, Pym give to Reed a sort of microfilm hidden in his mask then Reed put the the microfilm in his "tablet" and shows the others the Beyonders.
    I can't argue since we're not sure about anything yet, but It seems to me like the Beyonders are standing through the same portal-thingie that Pym just jumped from a minute earlier. Of course I could be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Mary Jay View Post
    I was under the belief they followed him back to Earth, but I could be wrong. And again, if they did follow, what exactly did he tell them to make them come back with him?
    Hey Mary Jay. How do you feel about Hank being back in the Yellowjacket suit? It makes sense with Lang having his Ant Man book. Also I'm glad the Illuminati asked Pym to help out.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

Spectacular Member

Franklin was proven to be alive a few issues ago, in passing mention by Sue.

I'm not sure which is more surprising, that people think Hickman off-screened Franklin, or that people actually think 616 Reed is capable of sacrificing his family.

I mean, I hate Kev Walker's monkey art ruining my favorite Marvel title (I will never understand how Marvel's most important title doesn't have a better artist) as much as the next guy, but this isn't a time where he has failed to convey what is going on.